PDA

View Full Version : Sarah Silverman: Funny or not?

macro
02-09-2007, 05:43 PM
I don't think she's hilarious, by any means, but she's definitely different. I have to admit that something keeps me interested in what she is going to say next.

Johnny Footstool
02-09-2007, 05:46 PM
I don't think she's hilarious, by any means, but she's definitely different. Something keeps me interested in what she is going to say next, though.

Her hot looks? ;)

I think she's pretty funny. Some of her stuff is hit-and-miss, but I generally dig her. Her new show makes me laugh quite a bit.

Matt700wlw
02-09-2007, 05:50 PM
Well...

http://www.e-celebs.org/gallery/d/803-3/s_silverman012_e_celebs_org.jpg

Yeah.

dougdirt
02-09-2007, 05:50 PM
She has her moments. She is pretty goodlooking as well. Her voice is annoying at times though.

Razor Shines
02-09-2007, 05:53 PM
She's definitely out there, but I think she's pretty funny.

guttle11
02-09-2007, 05:59 PM
To be honest, if she were a guy I don't think I'd be able to stand her. The fact that she's a female makes it more shocking and funny. The fact that she's more than easy on the eyes doesn't hurt either.

I'm a sexist pig.

MrCinatit
02-09-2007, 06:14 PM
I like her on many levels.
Of course, one of those levels is the "I wonder what she would look like naked in my bed?"

Blimpie
02-09-2007, 06:24 PM
I feel that she is extremely funny as a stand up comic....

I have watched her new show on TV but once and I wasn't thrilled about it. The content that she is allowed to get away with on that show pushes the envelope...completely off the table and into the trash can.

pedro
02-09-2007, 06:51 PM
I like her.

Falls City Beer
02-09-2007, 07:13 PM
She's mean; what's not to like?

Reds Fanatic
02-09-2007, 07:18 PM
For all of the Sarah Silverman fans her stand up movie from last year Sarah Silverman: Jesus is Magic premieres on Showtime tonight at 10.

Highlifeman21
02-09-2007, 10:04 PM
It makes perfect sense why she's with Jimmy Kimmel

Joseph
02-09-2007, 10:14 PM
I'll dissent, I don't find her at all funny.

edabbs44
02-09-2007, 10:38 PM
She killed me in The Aristocrats and at a few roasts I saw her on Comedy Central...but her new show is awful. I made it through 1.5 shows and I gave up.

KronoRed
02-09-2007, 10:46 PM
I'll dissent, I don't find her at all funny.

Same

Johnny Footstool
02-10-2007, 02:36 AM
She's mean; what's not to like?

Way, WAY too many fart jokes. A bit of toilet humor is funny, but she sometimes forgets when to quit.

Dom Heffner
02-10-2007, 11:05 AM
She was in one of my magazines this month- GQ or Details- and she looked smokin' hot, but when I see her in interviews she gives off a feeling like she would be a buddy or a sister.

The jury is still out for me on that.

She is hilarious, though.

LoganBuck
02-10-2007, 02:22 PM
I liked the last show where she took in the homeless guy. But not because of her, I find her "gay" friends to be hilarious. The karate bit was one of the funniest things I have seen recently.

Caveat Emperor
02-10-2007, 02:23 PM
She was in one of my magazines this month- GQ or Details- and she looked smokin' hot, but when I see her in interviews she gives off a feeling like she would be a buddy or a sister

I get that same vibe.

I think it's because I always see myself as the jokester/prankster in any relationship, and it'd be odd if someone was making me laugh consistently as opposed to the other way around.

Puffy
02-10-2007, 04:22 PM
I think she is brilliant and funny

cincinnati chili
02-10-2007, 04:38 PM
I think she's pretty good, but not spectacular. At the risk of sounding like a sexist, there's a pretty good case out there that she's slept her way to the top.

I've yet to see Jesus is Magic, but I've pretty much followed her career since the SNL days.

Falls City Beer
02-10-2007, 05:33 PM
I think she's pretty good, but not spectacular. At the risk of sounding like a sexist, there's a pretty good case out there that she's slept her way to the top.

I've yet to see Jesus is Magic, but I've pretty much followed her career since the SNL days.

Yeah, that's pretty sexist. What difference does it make: she's either funny or not.

Her show is destined to be canceled; what's so completely great about her humor (and ultimately what will get her show canceled) is that it doesn't in any way attempt to be witty or disaffected. It's throwback working-class scat humor with the claws of satire mercilessly at the ready ("Old black women are wise beyond their years...."). She's not daring to shock like so much humor these days, she's daring you to hate. Which is nice.

Razor Shines
02-10-2007, 05:56 PM

Well I hadn't seen it before, but I watched it last night. I think she's less funny now than I did before seeing it. She made fun of things that most people won't touch, which at first was funny, but it seemed to get old though. Unlike FCB I think her stand up show was all shock. "Like I can't believe she's making fun of that." That only lasted so long for me. By no means was it a terrible show, but it wasn't as good as I expected.

redsfanmia
02-10-2007, 09:19 PM
I vote not funny and very annoying.

cincinnati chili
02-10-2007, 11:19 PM
Yeah, that's pretty sexist. What difference does it make: she's either funny or not.

The difference... speaking theoretically here... is that if you take a person who's sorta, kinda funny, and that person strategically sleeps with those in positions of power, said person can get a lot of opportunities that might otherwise be reserved for those who are really, really funny.

I like some of her stuff. Her standup in particular. I also think she's a good interview, and found myself going out of my way to listen to her Terry Gross interview on Fresh Air.

On the other hand, I've found her acting roles to be horrible (School of Rock, Something About Mary).

vaticanplum
02-10-2007, 11:32 PM
On the other hand, I've found her acting roles to be horrible (School of Rock, Something About Mary).

Wait, she was in School of Rock? Where?

I cried at that movie...it made me want to be a music teacher. But I have no recollection of Sarah Silverman.

Ibleedblue
02-10-2007, 11:46 PM
Wait, she was in School of Rock? Where?

I cried at that movie...it made me want to be a music teacher. But I have no recollection of Sarah Silverman.

She was the "*****y girlfriend".

Chip R
02-10-2007, 11:56 PM

Well, if she did, she must be really bad in bed because she is nowhere near the top. Other than this new show on Comedy Central - and who hasn't had a show on Comedy Central - I haven't seen her as the star of her own series commanding hundreds and thousands of dollars per episode. I haven't seen her as a star in a feature film that has made a lot of money.

She is a very attractive woman but I haven't seen enough of her to know whether she is funny or not. And I don't know if a sitcom is really an indication of how funny someone is. Look at Seinfeld. He was basically the straight man on that show. And even his show wasn't that well received at first.

redsfan1966
02-11-2007, 01:51 AM
I like offbeat and crude humor--but unfortunately the best word I can think of when describing Sarah's new show is ---(politically incorrect warning alert)
retarded....now the "Naked Trucker and T-Bones Show"-thats good comedy...

GAC
02-11-2007, 08:09 AM
Never heard of the woman, but I read where she abhors alcohol (a tee-totaler) but is a HUGE pothead. ;)

wheels
02-11-2007, 10:19 AM
I've been a big fan since her Mr. Show days.

Lots of funny people from that show are on Sarah's new show, so I was hooked before it began. Jay Johnston's got to be one of the funniest people on the planet.

Does anyone remember a show called "Pilot Season"? It was featured on BBC America's "Brilliant but cancelled" series a few years back. Not as much potty humor, but it was some witty, witty stuff.

Sarah Silverman, Bob Odenkirk, David Cross, Brian Posehn, and pretty much everyone who was a part of Mr. Show are some of the funniest comic minds around, but they also seem to be doomed to fail. I just don't think the general public can handle their style. Too challenging.

Yachtzee
02-11-2007, 12:37 PM
I've been a big fan since her Mr. Show days.

Lots of funny people from that show are on Sarah's new show, so I was hooked before it began. Jay Johnston's got to be one of the funniest people on the planet.

Does anyone remember a show called "Pilot Season"? It was featured on BBC America's "Brilliant but cancelled" series a few years back. Not as much potty humor, but it was some witty, witty stuff.

Sarah Silverman, Bob Odenkirk, David Cross, Brian Posehn, and pretty much everyone who was a part of Mr. Show are some of the funniest comic minds around, but they also seem to be doomed to fail. I just don't think the general public can handle their style. Too challenging.

I would agree. For example, David Cross was brilliant on Arrested Development, as was the entire show. How it can get cancelled while According to Jim lives on is beyond me. How many times are they going to rehash the Honeymooners/Flintstones?

wheels
02-11-2007, 07:07 PM
I would agree. For example, David Cross was brilliant on Arrested Development, as was the entire show. How it can get cancelled while According to Jim lives on is beyond me. How many times are they going to rehash the Honeymooners/Flintstones?

Those are perfect examples.

'Course it's been that way since the days of Lenny Bruce and others. I only hope that they'll continue to generate enough exposure to feed my fix even if only for a little while.

I'm really missing Bob Odenkirk. Aside from a few Miller Light ads, he's pretty much disappeared.

BoydsOfSummer
02-11-2007, 07:14 PM
funny and foxy

Redsfaithful
02-11-2007, 07:39 PM
She's great. Wish there were more like her.

LoganBuck
02-11-2007, 10:18 PM
I think the scenes for the "gay" guys on her show remind me of "Arrested Development". I think her character is way to stupid to be funny.

Tony Cloninger
02-12-2007, 12:58 PM
Her show is hit and miss.....but that is the way it goes with her brand of comedy.

I like Cross and Odenkirk........heck i still miss the ben Stiller show......where Odenkirk was Charlie Manson. "Ask Charlie"........Very funny.

Drawn Together is completely stupid to me........and it's just like someone said earlier.....How far do you go before it stops being funny? Even "South Park" get's to me at certain points. Can't get enough of Butters though.

Jim Belushi.......i think Howard Stern once said that he was funnier than John.
Stern must be friends with Jim....beacuse i do not find him funny at all...never have. Fat, ugly guy with hot woman....see that on about 2-3 sitcoms every other year.....and tons of beer commercials. All the guys are average to ugly but the girls....always look like they came right off of Maxim or Perfect 10.

jimbo
02-01-2008, 04:49 PM
I just came across this clip of Sarah Silverman on the the Jimmy Kimmel show. Silverman made a music video with Matt Damon which is pretty funny. I'm not a fan of hers, but this is pretty good work. Enjoy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wnVJZkDuVBM

Bip Roberts
02-01-2008, 04:50 PM
"you know what Jimmy Im sorry, we are out of time"

:bowrofl:

klw
02-01-2008, 10:51 PM
Almost as good as Matt Damon's cameo in Eurotrip.

Scottie doesn't know!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3nMNGZHs3Pg

OldRightHander
02-02-2008, 12:10 PM
I just came across this clip of Sarah Silverman on the the Jimmy Kimmel show. Silverman made a music video with Matt Damn which is pretty funny. I'm not a fan of hers, but this is pretty good work. Enjoy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wnVJZkDuVBM

One little vowel can really change the meaning.

jimbo
02-02-2008, 12:13 PM
One little vowel can really change the meaning.

LOL.........:oops:

Highlifeman21
02-02-2008, 12:15 PM
Almost as good as Matt Damon's cameo in Eurotrip.

Scottie doesn't know!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3nMNGZHs3Pg

His best role ever, aside from the Bourne movies.

Ever.

Sean_CaseyRules
02-05-2008, 10:48 AM
I absolutly loved the Matt Damon video! haha

KoryMac5
02-05-2008, 10:53 AM
She killed me in The Aristocrats and at a few roasts I saw her on Comedy Central...but her new show is awful. I made it through 1.5 shows and I gave up.

You did better than me, I made it through about ten minutes.

klw
02-25-2008, 07:50 PM
Kimmel's response is a classic!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sIQrBouWRiE&watch_response

pedro
02-25-2008, 08:01 PM

omg. that's hysterical.

RBA
02-25-2008, 08:17 PM
Yup. She is funny.

deltachi8
02-25-2008, 10:00 PM
omg. that's hysterical.

I needed a good laugh tonight....and got one.

:D

Razor Shines
02-25-2008, 10:10 PM

Wow. When I read the title on youtube I certainly wasn't expecting that. That was great.

Redhook
02-25-2008, 10:48 PM

Thank you.

That just made my night. McLovin and everybody else in that video. What commitment to overcome Sarah and Matt Damon. Go Jimmy.

And Ben.

Together.

:eek:

SteelSD
02-25-2008, 10:58 PM
That was absolutely hilarious. Wow. Just wow.

MrCinatit
02-26-2008, 02:43 AM
That was disturbing and funny on so many different levels.

Harrison Ford's cameo and Robin Williams splashing water on his face were priceless.

jimbo
02-26-2008, 04:27 PM
Holy crap, that was funny. Thanks for posting it.

We can only wait for a response from Matt and Sarah.

I find it amazing how they can get so many big names to participate in something like that.

jimbo
02-26-2008, 04:35 PM
Here are a couple of other clips from the ongoing feud.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T23oNcCFriE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-PZNfOZXPJk&feature=related