PDA

View Full Version : How about Bernie?

5DOLLAR-BLEACHERBUM
02-10-2007, 10:15 PM
Was reading over on Reds.com that Bernie Williams will most likely decline the Yanks offer of a minor league contract. Why not take a flyer on him? Last year he went .281 with 12 home runs and 61 RBIs in 131 games, put him in GABP and I think he could be more than serviceable.

anthonyb
02-10-2007, 10:19 PM
I agree but how old is he

Chip R
02-10-2007, 10:20 PM
Those weren't bad numbers but where is he going to play? I think he was about on a par with Jr. as far as defensive CFs go. If he played RF, that still leaves Jr. in CF. Plus, I wouldn't want to see vaticanplum arrested for stalking him. ;)

jojo
02-10-2007, 10:56 PM
Was reading over on Reds.com that Bernie Williams will most likely decline the Yanks offer of a minor league contract. Why not take a flyer on him? Last year he went .281 with 12 home runs and 61 RBIs in 131 games, put him in GABP and I think he could be more than serviceable.

He had a VORP of 12 last season suggesting his bat was worth about a win. He's also one of the worst defensive outfielders in mlb meaning his glove completely wiped out his bat. Williams was replacement level last season. This year he's projected to have a VORP of 0 so given his defense, he'd be worse than replacement level. I'm not sure how much it would cost to sign him but maybe you could convince him to switch leagues at age 38 and retire as a Red rather than a Yankee for somewhere between $1-2M. Why pay that when you've got replacement level OF'ers in your system dying to get paid league minimum to be better than Williams? A guy like Norris Hopper easily fills this description.

KronoRed
02-10-2007, 11:05 PM
We don't have the DH so no.

guttle11
02-10-2007, 11:57 PM
I'd rather have Uncle Bernie.

REDblooded
02-11-2007, 01:00 AM
he would make the squad younger...............

sorry conine. couldn't resist

Heath
02-11-2007, 03:13 AM
I'd prefer Bernie Kosar.

I'd even prefer the Weekend At Bernie's guy.

with apologies to vaticanplum, I'm going to have to pass.

savafan
02-11-2007, 04:15 AM
He's younger than Reggie Sanders, but I'd like to see the Reds swing a deal for Reggie if KC would be willing to pay part of his salary. I think Reggie could be huge coming off the bench and spot starting for the Reds, plus he knows how to win. ;)

iaredsfan
02-11-2007, 07:11 AM
No! No! No! - He's much too old.

Raisor
02-11-2007, 07:45 AM
Was reading over on Reds.com that

that was your first mistake...

:evil:

Degenerate39
02-11-2007, 08:23 AM
We already have Griffey

Tom Servo
02-11-2007, 09:02 AM
He's younger than Reggie Sanders, but I'd like to see the Reds swing a deal for Reggie if KC would be willing to pay part of his salary. I think Reggie could be huge coming off the bench and spot starting for the Reds, plus he knows how to win. ;)
I'm honestly shocked Wayne hasn't already acquired Sanders. He is indeed a veteran who plays the game the right way and knows how to win.

Krusty
02-11-2007, 09:18 AM
You acquire Williams and probably both Hamilton and Denorfia won't make the club. And who would you rather have in center defensively?

Krusty
02-11-2007, 09:19 AM
I'm honestly shocked Wayne hasn't already acquired Sanders. He is indeed a veteran who plays the game the right way and knows how to win.

You could say the same thing about Steve Finley who is available. Veteran with a lefthanded bat to come off the bench late in the game and can play all three outfield spots.

mth123
02-11-2007, 09:40 AM
Williams has stated that he doesn't want to play for anyone except the Yankees. If he gets no Major League deal, he'll probably just retire.

vaticanplum
02-11-2007, 12:05 PM
Williams has stated that he doesn't want to play for anyone except the Yankees. If he gets no Major League deal, he'll probably just retire.

I think he's changed his tune a bit in the last few days. He turned down a spring training invite but stated that he's not going to sit around waiting for them, implying that he'll listen if another team calls him.

But in all honesty, I do think he'll retire and I do think that's as it should be. I wish he could have gone out with more of a bang though.

Marge'sMullet
02-11-2007, 12:16 PM

He should retire, it's always nice when a player knows it's time to hang it up. Kind of like Barry Larkin.:evil:

fearofpopvol1
02-11-2007, 01:56 PM
He should retire, it's always nice when a player knows it's time to hang it up. Kind of like Barry Larkin.:evil:

I think Barry should've stuck around another year at least as a PH, but DanO wasn't going to give him the time of day.

mth123
02-11-2007, 02:48 PM
I think he's changed his tune a bit in the last few days. He turned down a spring training invite but stated that he's not going to sit around waiting for them, implying that he'll listen if another team calls him.

But in all honesty, I do think he'll retire and I do think that's as it should be. I wish he could have gone out with more of a bang though.

You follow the Yankees more closely than I, but this is from Rotoworld yesterday:

Free agent Bernie Williams isn't interested in accepting the Yankees' minor league offer, but he also indicated that he has no intention of taking a deal from another club at the moment.

Williams could wait and see what happens early next month. If the Yankees still don't want to give him a major league deal and he doesn't find another opportunity he likes, he could choose to retire at age 38.

Maybe he'll see if the Yankees change their mind and start fielding offers afterwards. The Yankees must be really trying to take some heat off of A-Rod by bringing in Mientkiewicz whose defense could save A-Rod a few throwing errors. Otherwise Williams would have been a good fit for a move to 1B. Not sure why they signed Phelps (except that he's good and can hit.) Bernie could play the RH side of the platoon, even last year he went .323/.387./.529 in 150 ABs against lefties.

In the Reds situation I would have preferred Phelps, but I'd sure rather have Bernie and that .500+ slugging % to Conine.

vaticanplum
02-11-2007, 03:09 PM
mth, this is what I read:

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2760786&campaign=rss&source=MLBHeadlines

Basically the article puts a different spin on things. Williams concedes that he probably won't be playing with the Yankees this year, but he doesn't concede leaving the sport.

Honestly, I think he's about as clued in as the press is. My guess is that he just hasn't made a decision yet so different outlets are going to read his comments different ways.

mth123
02-11-2007, 03:25 PM
Honestly, I think he's about as clued in as the press is. My guess is that he just hasn't made a decision yet so different outlets are going to read his comments different ways.

Probably very true.