PDA

View Full Version : Recommended TV Shows (that most of US is missing)

Strikes Out Looking
02-10-2007, 11:03 PM
I've never urged anyone to watch anything, but two shows that I really like have pretty low ratings and could soon be cancelled, so I'm asking everyone to try to watch The Knights of Prosperity on ABC and 30rd Rock on NBC. I think they are both hilarious and can't recommend them enough. If you like them, tell someone else--soon enough we'll all be forced to watch American Idol and its clones 24/7.

redsfan1966
02-11-2007, 01:54 AM
Strikes Out--I join you in imploring everyone to watch "30 Rock"---a very funny and smart comedy....of course how can it not be with Tina Fey.

I dont watch "Knights"--but ask for everyone to watch "The Office"--dont give NBC second thoughts about renewing it...

Razor Shines
02-11-2007, 10:55 AM
I've never urged anyone to watch anything, but two shows that I really like have pretty low ratings and could soon be cancelled, so I'm asking everyone to try to watch The Knights of Prosperity on ABC and 30rd Rock on NBC. I think they are both hilarious and can't recommend them enough. If you like them, tell someone else--soon enough we'll all be forced to watch American Idol and its clones 24/7.

I know your pain, I remember watching Arrested Development die a slow death. But I've watched both of those shows and I really don't think they're worth keeping around, not for me anyway.

BoydsOfSummer
02-11-2007, 11:11 AM
"Trailer Park Boys" out of Canada is some funny stuff.

Strikes Out Looking
02-11-2007, 05:58 PM
Strikes Out--I join you in imploring everyone to watch "30 Rock"---a very funny and smart comedy....of course how can it not be with Tina Fey.

I dont watch "Knights"--but ask for everyone to watch "The Office"--dont give NBC second thoughts about renewing it...

I think the Office may have already been picked up. It's ratings among 18-49 are usually much higher than its usual rating and it also has a huge rating when they factor in those that tv it or buy it off itunes. It isn't going anywhere. The only show NBC may not pick up for next year on its current Thursday night roster is 30 rock--Scrubs is up in the air due to Zach Braff possibly not coming back.

savafan
02-11-2007, 06:04 PM
It'll be interesting to find out what happens with Lost after it's revealed who's not coming back on there next season too...

MrCinatit
02-11-2007, 06:31 PM
I have liked Knights from the start - and have had a sinking feeling that it is doomed since the beginning as well. It does seem the network is giving it a chance in moving it so it does not go up against American Idol, though.
I also like In Case of Emergency, as well, and have a feeling the same fate awaits it. This is too bad, because I think Kelly Hu is one of the most beautiful women out there.

Jpup
02-12-2007, 05:57 AM
Friday Night Lights is the best show on television IMO. My other favorite show is American Chopper, now on TLC.

dman
02-12-2007, 06:17 AM
How about "Standoff"? Has it received the axe fron FOX yet?

Johnny Footstool
02-12-2007, 09:58 AM
"Battlestar Galactica." If you've avoided it thinking it was like the low-budget '70s version, think again. It's a well-written, taut political thriller with some incredible acting and stunning visual effects thrown in. Many critics are calling it the best show on television. I agree.

NatiRedGals
02-12-2007, 10:07 AM
How about "Standoff"? Has it received the axe fron FOX yet?

Will Be move to Fridays in March! FOX has just announced the next new episode of Standoff will air on March 30 - 7c/8e.

registerthis
02-12-2007, 10:49 AM
30 Rock. Definitely. Alec Baldwin is fantastic--I never much cared for him before this, but the Jack Donaghey role was simply made for him.

Johnny Footstool
02-12-2007, 11:45 AM
30 Rock. Definitely. Alec Baldwin is fantastic--I never much cared for him before this, but the Jack Donaghey role was simply made for him.

It was written specifically for him, I believe. He hosted SNL enough (and generally did a good job) to endear him to Lorne Michaels and Tina Fey.

registerthis
02-12-2007, 11:57 AM
It was written specifically for him, I believe. He hosted SNL enough (and generally did a good job) to endear him to Lorne Michaels and Tina Fey.

Well, that would make sense then, wouldn't it? :)

RichRed
02-12-2007, 03:26 PM
Not a major network show, but I really like 'Iconoclasts' on the Sundance channel.

http://www.sundancechannel.com/feature/index.php?ixContent=8381

The episodes with Redford & Newman, Dave Chappelle & Maya Angelou, Isabella Rossellini & Dean Kamen, Mario Batali & Michael Stipe were entertaining and interesting.

And there was one with Fiona Apple & Quentin Tarantino that pretty much just confirmed what I already suspected: Tarantino has a whole squadron of bats in his belfry.

Johnny Footstool
02-12-2007, 03:35 PM
Not a major network show, but I really like 'Iconoclasts' on the Sundance channel.

http://www.sundancechannel.com/feature/index.php?ixContent=8381

The episodes with Redford & Newman, Dave Chappelle & Maya Angelou, Isabella Rossellini & Dean Kamen, Mario Batali & Michael Stipe were entertaining and interesting.

And there was one with Fiona Apple & Quentin Tarantino that pretty much just confirmed what I already suspected: Tarantino has a whole squadron of bats in his belfry.

Fiona Apple is no walk in the park, either.

RichRed
02-12-2007, 03:45 PM
Fiona Apple is no walk in the park, either.

No question, but she's a more subdued kind of crazy. QT's crazy goes to eleven.

Yachtzee
02-12-2007, 04:57 PM

I must say I've been pleasantly surprised. Although I enjoyed Tina Fey on SNL, I had a feeling that, much like SNL, the writing would feature moments of brilliance surrounded by a great deal of mediocrity. But after my wife started going on about it, I caught a few episodes and got hooked. I think Alec Baldwin, Tracey Morgan, and the guy who plays Kenneth make the show.

pedro
02-12-2007, 05:18 PM
I like "Psych" on USA.

Sabo Fan
02-12-2007, 06:25 PM
I like "Psych" on USA.

Same here. I really like "Monk" which is right before Psych and for a while I flipped the channel but now I keep it on USA for both shows.

30 Rock I was skeptical about for a long time but I've been watching it the last few weeks. Funny most of the time with three or four absolutely hilarious moments per show. Alec Baldwin is really good, giving Steve Carell's Michael Scott a run for his money as the funniest character on TV right now.

GAC
02-13-2007, 09:01 AM
Curb Your Enthusiasm by Larry David on HBO. I'm starting to collect the first few season DVDs. It's hilarious. The guy was the true brain behind Seinfeld.

Ltlabner
02-13-2007, 07:05 PM
Reno 911.

MrsHammer
02-14-2007, 02:13 PM
I'm pretty sure that I read online a week or so ago that "Knights of Prosperity" has already gotten the official axe. I'm not sure if they are still airing completed episodes or not.

EDIT: Ok, so I went back and looked this up, and I guess they've just moved it to a new timeslot because it was getting killed by American Idol. Talks like it is on it's last legs though.

Redsfaithful
02-16-2007, 01:15 PM
The Wire, on HBO. Best show on television, but most people haven't even heard of it I don't think, although season 4 got a lot more press than previous seasons.

BuckeyeRed27
02-16-2007, 01:40 PM
Curb Your Enthusiasm by Larry David on HBO. I'm starting to collect the first few season DVDs. It's hilarious. The guy was the true brain behind Seinfeld.

This show has unfortunately been canceled, but it is really hilarious.

Sweetstop
02-16-2007, 01:53 PM

Wow! I didn't know "Curb" wasn't coming back. One of my all time favorites.

This and "Deadwood"...what's happening w/ HBO?

missionhockey21
02-16-2007, 03:06 PM
Guh? I love CYE (and I'm huge David fan) but I've heard nothing about it being canceled. They added Vivica A. Fox to the cast in December and I believe Jeff Garlin was quoted as saying recently that they would be filming this spring. Larry David supposedly pays for a large majority of the show (at least that's what I heard from a friend) to have flexibility of when he shoots so he can take the time to properly write each season.

Sweetstop
02-16-2007, 03:15 PM
Hope you're right, Mission. I haven't done any research on it. I do know HBO still shows shots of it during ads for their series.

BuckeyeRed27
02-16-2007, 04:10 PM
Sorry let me clarify something about Curb. It has not been officially canceled but it has not been renewed for a 6th season and no new episodes have been shot.

creek14
02-16-2007, 06:00 PM
Friday Night Lights
Ditto

GAC
02-17-2007, 05:31 AM
Sorry let me clarify something about Curb. It has not been officially canceled but it has not been renewed for a 6th season and no new episodes have been shot.

It has been renewed for a 6th season....

http://www.tvsquad.com/category/curb-your-enthusiasm/

Vivica A. Fox will be joining the cast of Curb Your Enthusiasm for the show's sixth season, which kicks off next year. According to Hollywood Reporter, there's not much information, though information points to Fox playing the member of a black family who moves into the David's home after a natural disaster. So there you go, Vivica A. Fox will be playing a black woman, and frankly, I couldn't be happier. I was starting to grow tired of seeing her constantly playing an elderly Chinese man. The storyline is meant to spoof the events of Hurricane Katrina, as well as race relations. I imagine we can look forward to Larry saying something incredibly inappropriate. The article doesn't mention whether Fox's character will stay on the show or whether she'll only be part of this specific storyline.

StillFunkyB
02-17-2007, 07:38 AM
Ditto

Agreed.

I also like Heros, and Lost.

I DVR alot of shows, including Monk. Don't always watch them all though.

Sweetstop
02-17-2007, 10:54 AM
Friday Night Lights is an excellent, movie quality show about, not only high school football, but small town life in our country today. The characters are complex and the acting is terrific.

I'm sure it will be gone after this year, and that is a shame.

Redhook
02-20-2007, 07:54 AM

One of my favorites too. I also love Friday Night Lights like a lot on this board.

One show that I think is hilarious is How I Met Your Mother. Bad title for the show and I don't know how well the ratings are in this second season, but that show is really funny. Neil Patrick Harris, a.k.a. Doogie Howser, is one of the funniest characters on t.v. right now.

Edskin
02-20-2007, 08:14 AM
My Super Sweet Sixteen on MTV provides for riveting viewing.

It is almost gut-wrenching watching the human drama unfold as young teens and their parents wage war against societal norms while trying to foster in a new age of adulthood. The kids are usually hard-working, grateful sorts, who just want to have a little party in celebration of their big day. The parents are all well-grounded, and exceptional role models for their children and for parents everywhere.

The parties themselves aren't the REAL story- most of the parties are fairly subdued and conservative. What matters is the interpersonal relationships. It's moving television.

:)

Edskin
02-20-2007, 08:17 AM
It's funny, my sports addiction pretty much keeps me from watching "normal" TV. I'm a year-round sports nut, so there is basically some event to watch every night.

Having said that, DVR does bring a new dimension into my life. I NEVER miss The Office-- just perfect.

I sort of watch Grey's Anatomy by osmosis with my wife, and she has also gotten me into ER-- although I don't like it nearly as much as I used to.

And here's a dirty little secret: My wife usually DVR's Gilmore Girls each week-- and I kinda like it. OK, I really like it :)

minus5
02-20-2007, 09:30 AM
I sort of watch Grey's Anatomy by osmosis with my wife, and she has also gotten me into ER-- although I don't like it nearly as much as I used to.

And here's a dirty little secret: My wife usually DVR's Gilmore Girls each week-- and I kinda like it. OK, I really like it :)

You're going to wind up getting this revoked!

http://www.thesportsanimal.com/promotions/mancard/mancard_topper.jpg

Strikes Out Looking
02-20-2007, 10:07 AM
It's funny, my sports addiction pretty much keeps me from watching "normal" TV. I'm a year-round sports nut, so there is basically some event to watch every night.

Having said that, DVR does bring a new dimension into my life. I NEVER miss The Office-- just perfect.

Take the remote away from your wife and watch Scrubs and 30 Rock instead of Grey's Anatomy. If you want to watch a decent medical show buy the DVDs of St. Elsewhere. You'll feel better about yourself.

WebScorpion
02-21-2007, 04:34 PM
I pretty much only watch 'Heroes' regularly. Other than that it's sports, movies, funny videos, science channel, discovery channel, and kids programming.
I'm even beginning to get tired of Heroes...it seems each week brings less and less story and more and more commercials...<snore> :thumbdown

On another note:I am reading Catch-22 over again though...somehow when I was 15 I didn't understand much of the humor. :laugh:

justincredible
02-21-2007, 04:36 PM
Man vs. Wild

Bear Grylls is one bad dude!

TeamBoone
02-28-2007, 06:01 PM
I know many think most television offerings really stink; I am not one of those people. I find many programs enjoyable.

Some I never see mentioned on the board but that I think are particularly good and watch faitufully in addition to Prison Break, Heroes, Lost, and 24:

- The Unit
- Criminal Minds
- NCIS
- House
- Smallville (I am absolutely hooked!)
- Supernatural
- Jericho
- Dresden Files
- Bones
- Numbers
- all the CSI and L&O's
- Ugly Betty
- Men in Trees

Yes, I tape a lot and even if I get behind it doesn't matter; I'll see them eventually. Most people probably consider them fluff, boring, not funny, not thought provoking, and thus not worth their time but I like them.

The only reality show I like is The Amazing Race.

Sweetstop
03-01-2007, 05:03 PM
Ugly Betty is terrific! lots of fun.

We just bought Season 2 of Smallville...Season 1 hooked us.

I love Greg House.

Red Leader
03-01-2007, 05:11 PM

IIRC, you're not alone. I believe Raisor is a big fan of the Gilmore Girls.

BuckWoody
03-01-2007, 05:45 PM
I don't watch much network TV at all, unless there's a game on, but there are some shows that I have TiVo season passes to that I really like.

The Thirsty Traveler on the Fine Living Channel - Kevin Brauch travels around the world and visits all sorts of wineries, distilleries, and breweries. He will go on a tour of the spirit making facility and explain how it is made. He usually hits a party during each show too.

Little Britain on BBC America – Bawdy British humor. Funny stuff but definitely not for everyone and definitely not for the kids.

Dogfights on the History Channel – Recreates famous aerial battles using really good video game animation. Interviews and old newsreel type footage supplement the sharp graphics.

Pardon the Interruption on ESPN – Tony Kornheiser and Michael Wilbon talk about sports and dig on each other for a half hour. My day isn’t complete until I get my fix.

Classic Albums on VH1 Classic – They revisit the making of a classic old album and talk to those who were involved in the recording, editing, and producing etc. etc. Two of my favorites so far have been Pink Floyd’s Dark Side of the Moon and Fleetwood Mac’s Rumors.

Puffy
03-01-2007, 05:46 PM
Veronica Mars.

Its almost last every week in the ratings - but the show kicks arse.

timmario66
03-02-2007, 08:35 AM
Veronica Mars.

Its almost last every week in the ratings - but the show kicks arse.

Totally agree. My wife are catching up with DVDs. We probably got through the 1st season in about 3 weeks and have started on the 2nd season.