PDA

View Full Version : cnn...real classy

BUTLER REDSFAN
02-11-2007, 11:20 AM
http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=f391d03c0b

BoydsOfSummer
02-11-2007, 11:28 AM
Is he saying there might be other newsworthy things happening around the globe?

MrCinatit
02-11-2007, 11:31 AM
Is he saying there might be other newsworthy things happening around the globe?

Yeah, I think that was pretty much Jack saying it was much ado about nothing.

BUTLER REDSFAN
02-11-2007, 09:33 PM
trust me, if someone on fox had said the exact same thing there would be a lot of people on here complaining about it

Jpup
02-12-2007, 05:50 AM
that was a pretty stupid thing to say.

registerthis
02-12-2007, 10:48 AM
Meh, I look at it as nothing more but the continuing mounting evidence that there is simply not enough going on in the world to merit all of this 24 hour cable news coverage.

Ltlabner
02-12-2007, 10:58 AM
Meh, I look at it as nothing more but the continuing mounting evidence that there is simply not enough going on in the world to merit all of this 24 hour cable news coverage.

Agree totally.

It's also further evidence that ole grummpy Jack takes himself faaaaaar to serriously. It's not your job to decide for us what we should and shouldn't be interested in Jackster.

M2
02-12-2007, 12:27 PM

Certainly not if all the 24-hour networks are going to do is put people behind a desk. Now, if they wanted to pay for the army of competent reporters you'd need to do 24-hour news they'd find plenty of things to cover, but right now it's easier to obsess on a half dozen items each day because you don't have to invest in bodies to do the work.

registerthis
02-12-2007, 01:02 PM
Certainly not if all the 24-hour networks are going to do is put people behind a desk. Now, if they wanted to pay for the army of competent reporters you'd need to do 24-hour news they'd find plenty of things to cover, but right now it's easier to obsess on a half dozen items each day because you don't have to invest in bodies to do the work.

Right. Should amend my statement to read that there's not enough going on in the world that is considered palateable to the average American viewer.

Reading the NY Times, or the CS Monitor, or the Financial Times, for a couple of days reveals exactly how much is not filtering down to most American news sources.

DTCromer
02-15-2007, 10:08 AM
Agree totally.

It's also further evidence that ole grummpy Jack takes himself faaaaaar to serriously. It's not your job to decide for us what we should and shouldn't be interested in Jackster.

I don't think he's saying anything about what we should be interested in. I personally think he's fed up himself of covering a news story of a woman who's done nothing to merit her fame.

M2
02-15-2007, 10:57 AM
BTW, Cafferty strikes me as the only newsperson who's shown an ounce of sense in covering this story. IMO, he deserves a Peabody Award for showing some on-air disgust about the attention this has gotten.

Now if only somebody in the press would show the good sense to march out of a White House press briefing.

Chip R
02-15-2007, 11:01 AM
He was the anchorman for the Des Moines NBC affiliate when I was a kid.

registerthis
02-15-2007, 11:12 AM
Now if only somebody in the press would show the good sense to march out of a White House press briefing.

I enjoy watching David Gregory's White House press briefing reports. He's not shy about drilling Tony Snow or Bush when it's warranted--which is pretty much every day.

M2
02-15-2007, 11:24 AM
I enjoy watching David Gregory's White House press briefing reports. He's not shy about drilling Tony Snow or Bush when it's warranted--which is pretty much every day.

But think about whole ridiculous the setup is. They're gathering to be disinformed by the minister of propaganda. I don't care who the party in charge is, no valuable information has ever come from the White House Press Secretary.

I can understand gathering to hear from officials in charge of making decisions, but one of the great sins of the American press is allowing the administration to hide behind a spin monkey. It's a complete perversion of open government and the notion of a free press.

paintmered
02-15-2007, 11:26 AM
But think about whole ridiculous the setup is. They're gathering to be disinformed by the minister of propaganda. I don't care who the party in charge is, no valuable information has ever come from the White House Press Secretary.

I can understand gathering to hear from officials in charge of making decisions, but one of the great sins of the American press is allowing the administration to hide behind a spin monkey. It's a complete perversion of open government and the notion of a free press.

Ahem. Please put away all flash cameras and political discussion inside the thread.

M2
02-15-2007, 11:34 AM
Ahem. Please put away all flash cameras and political discussion inside the thread.

Sorry, I was purposefully trying not to be political. If I wasn't clear, I'm not talking about the behavior of either of the two main political parties, I'm talking about how useless the press has allowed itself to become.

Constant Anna Nicole Smith updates (yep, still dead) and sitting around waiting for a disinformation briefing strike me as symptoms of the same disease.

Dom Heffner
02-15-2007, 12:49 PM
My favorite little caption under a talking head (Nancy Grace):

Anna Nicole Dead!

She was a lot of things, but at the end of the day, she was a person.

Headlines for the deceased shouldn't be predicated on what type of person the media - of all things- judges them to be. When Gerald Ford died, nobody was adding exclamation points or omitting his last name. When Marlon Brando died, nobody was talking about how he may have molested his own daughter. No one said a peep about the damage Iran-Contra caused when Reagan died.

Or if they did, they were respectful about it.

I don't care if Anna Nicole did drugs, slept with the world, or whatever. We have an eternity to be mean to someone's memory, let's behave ourselves during the moments after, you know?

We treat U.S. Presidents like they are Gods whey they die, and some of their decisions do more harm to people than Anna Nicole Smith could ever do.

registerthis
02-15-2007, 02:12 PM
I don't care if Anna Nicole did drugs, slept with the world, or whatever.

Thing is, if she hadn't done those things, we probably wouldn't know who she was.

westofyou
02-15-2007, 02:19 PM
Thing is, if she hadn't done those things, we probably wouldn't know who she was.

Hey, NASCAR knocked her off the front page, up here NASCAR is the equivalent of Lacrosse, a niche sport that gets a limited press. I guess it's a slow news day in Atlanta.

dabvu2498
02-15-2007, 02:39 PM
Hey, NASCAR knocked her off the front page, up here NASCAR is the equivalent of Lacrosse, a niche sport that gets a limited press. I guess it's a slow news day in Atlanta.

NASCAR falls partly under the Turner conglomerate. I believe Turner does NASCAR's official website.

Dom Heffner
02-15-2007, 03:10 PM

She was also a Guess model.

Chip R
02-15-2007, 03:11 PM

So were a lot of girls.

pedro
02-15-2007, 03:12 PM
Personally I think she deserved an OBIT in the paper as a foot note in history and that's about it. I'm appalled by the amount of attention her death garnered from the press.

registerthis
02-15-2007, 03:22 PM

...and?

Seems to me her claims to fame were being a Playboy centerfold, marrying an old rich guy, and having some TV cameras trot around after her for awhile.

She's like Paris Hilton, only artificially endowed.

Chip R
02-15-2007, 03:27 PM
...and?

Seems to me her claims to fame were being a Playboy centerfold, marrying an old rich guy, and having some TV cameras trot around after her for awhile.

Amazing how easy it is these days to be famous.

pedro
02-15-2007, 03:29 PM
Amazing how easy it is these days to be famous.

and yet....

Ltlabner
02-15-2007, 05:25 PM
I don't think he's saying anything about what we should be interested in. I personally think he's fed up himself of covering a news story of a woman who's done nothing to merit her fame.

Ummmm....it's his job to report the news, whether it interests him or not. Sorry that the story is so "beneath him" but someone in his orginization feals it's newsworthy (which is a whole other discussion, I don't understand the facination either) so it's his job to report the news. If he's just bored with it, perhaps he should a more serrious news outlet to work for. He acts as if CNN has never run a puff piece on a celeb before.

registerthis
02-16-2007, 09:45 AM
Ltlabner, is the "robot insurance" line from the "Old Glory Insurance" commercial on SNL?

I love that!

"Old Glory Insurance. For when the metal ones decide to come for you. And they will."

M2
02-16-2007, 11:38 AM
Ummmm....it's his job to report the news, whether it interests him or not. Sorry that the story is so "beneath him" but someone in his orginization feals it's newsworthy (which is a whole other discussion, I don't understand the facination either) so it's his job to report the news. If he's just bored with it, perhaps he should a more serrious news outlet to work for. He acts as if CNN has never run a puff piece on a celeb before.

It's also his job to know what news is. The "but that's what people are interested in" argument is probably the worst concept ever introduced into a newsroom. Seriously, Cafferty's job, theoretically, is to tell you things you don't know, to give you information that affects you and shapes the world around you.

It's beneath Cafferty, you, me and everyone else who might be tuning in for some actual news to spit out regular reports that Anna Nicole Smith continues to be quite dead (insiders speculate irrevocably so). Kudos to Cafferty for pointing out that news networks are now engaged in something that was openly, and famously, mocked 30 years ago.

minus5
02-16-2007, 11:44 AM

I'll give you that BUT I think running the story day & night was ridiculous and that's what he was trying to say.

Yachtzee
02-16-2007, 12:47 PM
Generalissimo Franco is still dead. ;)

On the topic of news, I really wish CNN or some other news channel would have the guts to fashion themselves as a US version of BBC News. If you've ever watched or listened to BBC World News, they really do cover much of the world news that is truly important. I find it silly that what is essentially entertainment news has taken over most of the major news networks.

RedsManRick
02-16-2007, 01:44 PM
Any news broadcast in which the content is in no small part driven by ratings is going to be a problem. Market forces, while very positive, aren't perfect. If the guy wants the high art version of a news broadcast, he needs to go to PBS.

registerthis
02-16-2007, 02:00 PM

On the topic of news, I really wish CNN or some other news channel would have the guts to fashion themselves as a US version of BBC News. If you've ever watched or listened to BBC World News, they really do cover much of the world news that is truly important. I find it silly that what is essentially entertainment news has taken over most of the major news networks.

AMEN to this. BBC World is a fantastic source for international news, there's really no American news outlet that approaches it.

Of course, the BBC has other outlets that delve into the trite and sleaze that American news organizations partake in, but they also know that there's a sizeable segment of their audience that are more interested in finding out about whether Anna Nicole has come back to life, or who got axed from American Idol.

registerthis
02-16-2007, 02:02 PM
Any news broadcast in which the content is in no small part driven by ratings is going to be a problem. Market forces, while very positive, aren't perfect. If the guy wants the high art version of a news broadcast, he needs to go to PBS.

I wish they had more than the NewsHour. I hardly ever watch PBS, but when I do it's typically the NewsHour. It's not enough, though, IMO, and I think PBS could be doing a much better job in this area.

westofyou
02-16-2007, 02:03 PM

Yep, I read BBC when I want another slant that isn't wrapped in jingoism or ratings.

Ltlabner
02-16-2007, 05:22 PM
Ltlabner, is the "robot insurance" line from the "Old Glory Insurance" commercial on SNL?

I love that!

"Old Glory Insurance. For when the metal ones decide to come for you. And they will."

:thumbup: I about wet my pants every time I watch that sketch.