PDA

View Full Version : Who will disappoint?

cincrazy
02-11-2007, 01:43 PM
Pick one team that you think will be the biggest disappointment this season. And by this, I mean a team with high expectations, AL or NL, that will fall well short of expectations.

I'll have to go with the Mets. I think the NL East is a lot stronger. The Marlins are a year more experienced, and will be very good if their young pitcher's can stay healthy, the Phillies just might be the strongest team in the league on paper, and the only reason the Braves missed the playoffs last year was an awful bullpen, one that should be one of the strongest this year.

Tom Glavine is a Hall of Famer through and through, but he's also over 40, and Orlando Hernandez is their #2 starter. I've never seen a team with such high expectations have such awful depth in the rotation. They're relying on so many "if's." If Pedro comes back healthy, if Pelfrey or Humber can have a breakthrough season, if Chan Ho Park and Dave Williams can keep their ERA's under 9.00..... I truly believe that this team is in for a major disappointment. Thoughts?

MrCinatit
02-11-2007, 01:45 PM
I have visions - or dreams - of the Cubs imploding spectacularly in the middle of the season after a good start.

WVRedsFan
02-11-2007, 01:45 PM
Either the Brewers or the Cardinals. The Cardinals are way defecient in the pitching department as of today (of course, deals could be made before the season starts), and the Brewers, for all the improvements they have apparently made, just never live up to expectations. Except when they play the Reds. I wish they had stayed in the AL. I hate them.

WVRedsFan
02-11-2007, 01:46 PM
I have visions - or dreams - of the Cubs imploding spectacularly in the middle of the season after a good start.

Unfortunately, I think the Cubs will be just fine. I hate that.

Tom Servo
02-11-2007, 01:52 PM
I too can definatly see the Mets falter and the Braves swoop in and win the division.

But if I had to pick one team, I'd go with the Astros. Even with the addition of Carlos Lee, unless Clemens decides to go back to Houston (which I don't think he will) they won't have enough pitching to win 80+ games.

reds44
02-11-2007, 02:01 PM
The Brewers.

For the last few years now they have been predicted by many to be a breakout team and each year they have fallen on their face. I don't expect this year to be any different. The Cubs are a canidate too because they have no pitching.

vaticanplum
02-11-2007, 02:06 PM
Dodgers. They have the potential to be downright bad.

KronoRed
02-11-2007, 02:51 PM
Cards will lose 80.

Still might be enough to win the Central though.

Falls City Beer
02-11-2007, 03:42 PM
I'll go with the Dodgers too, vatican.

The Mets aren't a bad choice either. And I think Philly will find some way to choke it.

Atlanta will win the East because they are a better and smarter franchise than any other in the East.

One guarantee: the Cardinals will be very good. If Izzy comes back fully healthy, they'll be amazing.

OnBaseMachine
02-11-2007, 03:43 PM
The Cardinals will lose at least 80 games.

Natty Redlocks
02-11-2007, 04:10 PM
The Red Sox. They never should have let their magnificent SS get away.

Candy Cummings
02-11-2007, 04:14 PM
The Tigers.

Phhhl
02-11-2007, 05:07 PM
The Cubs. Some Cubs fan in the guise of a baseball "expert" was on Red Hot Mama's podcast last week calmly pontificating that Chicago would win 95 games this year. Expectations are sky high In Chicago. I think they'll mash and probably be in the thick of the race, but their pitching hasn't signifigantly improved over last year and I just don't think they are an elite club.

redsmetz
02-11-2007, 06:09 PM
Wow, if everybody else will be choking, we probably have half a chance this season! :)

Will M
02-11-2007, 09:37 PM
The Mets - their starting pitching is bad.

The Cards won 83 games and the WS last year but they are getting weaker each year not stronger.

jmcclain19
02-11-2007, 09:55 PM
AL - Tigers. They had a lot of guys that played way above their heads last year and will come back down to earth.

NL - Mets. They'll be the NL East favorite, but if you're counting on Oliver Perez & El Duque as your No. 2 & No.3 starters in April, you're in a world of hurt before the summer has even started. I thought about picking the Dodgers here, because of all the money they spent on worthless vets. But the guys that got blocked (Loney/Kemp/Kuo/Billingsley etc), the top notched farm system Colletti seems oblivous of, will save them again, just like in 2006.

Wheelhouse
02-12-2007, 03:17 AM
The Red Sox will be a wreck.

luvdozer
02-12-2007, 04:10 PM

the title of the thread is asking for teams that will disappoint - who would be disappointed if the Cubs imploded?