PDA

View Full Version : Which "great" song do you hate?

RichRed
02-12-2007, 03:04 PM
Sort of a companion to the "What are you listening to?" thread. There are a million songs out there that are widely thought of as "great," "important" or at the very least, widely popular.

So the question is, can you name a song that's widely viewed as great that you just can't stand?

I'll start. The Grammys reminded me of this one but I've never liked "Roxanne" by the Police. Something about it just makes me cringe every time I hear it, and I'm actually a fan of the Police.

How about you?

pedro
02-12-2007, 03:09 PM
"whole lotta love" by led zeppelin

redsfanmia
02-12-2007, 03:10 PM
Stairway to Heaven
Dream on
Hotel California and everyother "great" Eagles song
Satisfaction and everyother "great" Stones song

Matt700wlw
02-12-2007, 03:26 PM
"American Woman" by the Guess Who does nothing for me.

Not sure it would have had I been around in 1970, but....that's not the point :)

westofyou
02-12-2007, 03:26 PM
Purple Haze
Stone Free

Most Elvis songs after the 50's

Johnny Footstool
02-12-2007, 03:27 PM
Almost every Zeppelin song except for "Hey What Can I Do?"

westofyou
02-12-2007, 03:27 PM

For me it's Kashmir

Highlifeman21
02-12-2007, 03:28 PM
Anything by the Beatles

RichRed
02-12-2007, 03:29 PM

Here I am agreeing with you again. Downright spooky, I tell ya.

I also couldn't agree more with 'Hotel California.' Just brutal.

Yachtzee
02-12-2007, 03:30 PM
Anything by Lynyrd Skynyrd.

Red Leader
02-12-2007, 03:52 PM
Stairway to Heaven
Dream on
Hotel California and everyother "great" Eagles song
Satisfaction and everyother "great" Stones song

Great list of songs I can't stand, although I've always like the Stone's Paint It Black, Emotional Rescue, and Waiting on a Friend :dunno:
Maybe I was just heard all the ones listed above too much early on in life.

Another:

Don't Look Back and everyother "great" Boston song.

dabvu2498
02-12-2007, 04:02 PM
For me it's Kashmir

Oddly, that's their only song that I like.

westofyou
02-12-2007, 04:05 PM

No.. that's what I meant... that's the only one I won't change if I hear.

Johnny Footstool
02-12-2007, 04:08 PM

I watched "Fast Times and Ridgemont High" and heard that song, then went out and bought Led Zeppelin IV because the Mike Damone character said it was on that album.

Bad filmmaking. It's not on "IV", but "Physical Graffitti."

I think my disappointment made me dislike the song.

02-12-2007, 04:08 PM
Anything by Kansas. Or Springsteen.

Matt700wlw
02-12-2007, 04:12 PM
Anything by the Beatles

That's a sin ;)

RedsManRick
02-12-2007, 04:17 PM
Free Bird. 90 seconds of a nice little tune followed by 8 minutes of self important solo crap.

Roy Tucker
02-12-2007, 04:22 PM
New York, New York.

RichRed
02-12-2007, 04:22 PM
"Mustang Sally" by Wilson Pickett

Nothing against Pickett, it's just that every lame cover band I've ever seen has had this song in their playlist.

nate
02-12-2007, 04:44 PM
Howdy

Brick House
Play That Funky Music
Mustang Sally
I Will Survive
We Are Family

Basically, all songs one plays working a "casual".

KittyDuran
02-12-2007, 05:00 PM
Anything by Dylan.

dman
02-12-2007, 05:09 PM
Living On A Prayer - Bon Jovi: I could almost puke everytime I hear Richie Sambora doing that talk box thing.

Redsland
02-12-2007, 05:36 PM
Aqualung

Falls City Beer
02-12-2007, 05:49 PM
"London Calling" The Clash

It's a good thing the rest of that album kicks ass, cuz the leadoff hitter sucks.

Puffy
02-12-2007, 05:56 PM
I watched "Fast Times and Ridgemont High" and heard that song, then went out and bought Led Zeppelin IV because the Mike Damone character said it was on that album.

Bad filmmaking. It's not on "IV", but "Physical Graffitti."

I believe that was the point - That Damone was full of crap and didn't know anymore about dates that Ratner did, but he tried to be all smooth and didn't even know where the song was.

That was evidenced by the wrong song playing while in the car.

nate
02-12-2007, 06:11 PM
You just don't know Damone.

Degenerate39
02-12-2007, 06:17 PM
Anything by the Beatles

I thought I was the only one! I can't stand their music

Hap
02-12-2007, 07:01 PM
small town by john mellencamp

I'm from a village of 300 people (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lafayette%2C_Ohio), but this song does nothing for me.

redsfan1966
02-12-2007, 07:03 PM
I HATE "Bohemian Rhapsody" by Queen and Meat Loaf's "Paradise by the dashboard light"

marcshoe
02-12-2007, 07:07 PM
Ravel's Bolero. :p:

Okay, okay, ignoring some of the blasphemy that's been presented on this thread, particularly regarding The Beatles....

I like the Who a lot, and I like the lyrics of the song, but for some reason, maybe excessive play on classic rock stations in the eighties, I can't stand to listen to "Won't Get Fooled Again".

Yachtzee
02-12-2007, 07:31 PM
I don't know if they qualify as "great," but the Ethel channel on XM has two songs on heavy rotation that are automatic channel changers for me:

"Grace Kelly" by Mika
"Get Ready (Hot Machete)" by Jonzetta

redsfanmia
02-12-2007, 07:34 PM

how could you not like the beatles?:confused:

KittyDuran
02-12-2007, 07:39 PM
I don't know if they qualify as "great," but the Ethel channel on XM has two songs on heavy rotation that are automatic channel changers for me:

"Grace Kelly" by Mika
"Get Ready (Hot Machete)" by Jonzetta:confused: [I'm getting too old]

KittyDuran
02-12-2007, 07:40 PM
I thought I was the only one! I can't stand their musicYou and Highlife might be getting a lecture from GAC...;)

Strikes Out Looking
02-12-2007, 07:42 PM
Anything by Journey.

GAC
02-12-2007, 07:56 PM
You and Highlife might be getting a lecture from GAC...;)

Different strokes for different folks. And I am certainly not gonna "lecture" someone whose username is "degenerate". :mooner:

Bohemian Rhapsody by Queen. I want to drive my car off the road into livestock when I hear "Crazy Little Thing Called Love".

Roxanne - Police (I'd like to do more then "put out the red light")

Anything by Genesis and Phil Collins.

Journey's "Lovin, Touchin, Squeezin".... I want to "Punch, Kick, and Choke".

pedro
02-12-2007, 08:26 PM
You just don't know Damone.

:laugh:

Red in Chicago
02-12-2007, 08:32 PM
every version of candle in the wind by elton john...i mean, how many versions does he really need:bang:

Tony Cloninger
02-12-2007, 08:59 PM
I can understand not liking a Beatle song or a Zeppelin song.....but all of them? I mean seriously.......you have me confused as to what type of music you could like without even liking more than 1 or 2 IF not half of their songs?

cincinnati chili
02-12-2007, 09:11 PM
Hotel California

I like the bass line a lot, and probably didn't mind the song the 5th or 6th time I heard it.

Here's a couple from a band I like. I love the Police, but find both 'Wrapped Around your finger' and 'King of Pain' to be brutally repetitious.

Yachtzee
02-12-2007, 09:16 PM
James Blunt - "You're Beautiful"

pedro
02-12-2007, 09:32 PM
I like the bass line a lot, and probably didn't mind the song the 5th or 6th time I heard it.

Here's a couple from a band I like. I love the Police, but find both 'Wrapped Around your finger' and 'King of Pain' to be brutally repetitious.

somewhere there's a skeleton choking on a crust of bread

vaticanplum
02-12-2007, 09:32 PM
James Blunt - "You're Beautiful"

I know that "great" is in quotation marks, but I think that is still taking it a little too far.

BoydsOfSummer
02-12-2007, 09:49 PM
Barracuda--Heart

I swear that song still gets played like it's still on the charts.

OesterPoster
02-12-2007, 10:01 PM
Anything by Led Zeppelin and Rush. I can't stand either one, and I don't understand the fuss about 'em. I feel the same way about most Rolling Stones stuff.

forfreelin04
02-12-2007, 10:03 PM
Beatles- Yellow Submarine
Anything Van Halen (david lee roth is just annoying)
Guns and Roses-Patience (No patience for the whistling)

Dom Heffner
02-12-2007, 10:08 PM
Rush songs.

Any early Van Halen song. There's one that our local radio station plays all the time...something about, "I can't wait to feel your love.."

Awful.

And "Free Bird." Yechh.

Cedric
02-12-2007, 10:12 PM
Anything by Led Zeppelin and Rush. I can't stand either one, and I don't understand the fuss about 'em. I feel the same way about most Rolling Stones stuff.

I can't stand Rush.

Would kill for the Stones though.

I can't stand any Eagles song.

marcshoe
02-12-2007, 10:14 PM
I'll agree with those who have said Rush. I remember back when I was a teenager having a friend play Rush for hours on end and gush about how great they were. I thought they were annoying then, and I think they're annoying now.

As for james Blunt, that may simply be the worst song released so far this century.

vaticanplum
02-12-2007, 10:24 PM
And "Free Bird." Yechh.

I'm glad to see that Free Bird has come up a couple of times. This song, as far as I'm concerned, represents the worst of humanity not represented by genocide. Anyone who goes so far as to actually sing along with this charming ditty reserves a full right to get his face bashed in as far as I'm concerned.

Dom Heffner
02-12-2007, 10:27 PM
I'm glad to see that Free Bird has come up a couple of times. This song, as far as I'm concerned, represents the worst of humanity not represented by genocide. Anyone who goes so far as to actually sing along with this charming ditty reserves a full right to get his face bashed in as far as I'm concerned.

The only time it was good was when I had my own radio show in Richmond, Indiana and I could play it if I had to use the bathroom.

That is the only good thing to ever come about from that song: freedom for the disc jockey to leave the board for 10 minutes.

Highlifeman21
02-12-2007, 10:29 PM

I'd rather root for the Yankees or Duke Basketball than listen to The Beatles

pedro
02-12-2007, 10:33 PM
"ramblin man" by the allman brothers

vaticanplum
02-12-2007, 10:36 PM
The only time it was good was when I had my own radio show in Richmond, Indiana and I could play it if I had to use the bathroom.

That is the only good thing to ever come about from that song: freedom for the disc jockey to leave the board for 10 minutes.

You know, Dom, American Pie is just as long and slightly more palatable. Other choices include Heroin, Bohemian Rhapsody, and Beethoven's Fifth Symphony.

And Highlifeman just rooted for the Yankees!! Yay!!!

westofyou
02-12-2007, 10:37 PM
You know, Dom, American Pie is just as long and slightly more palatable. Other choices include Heroin, Bohemian Rhapsody, and Beethoven's Fifth Symphony.

And Highlifeman just rooted for the Yankees!! Yay!!!

My cousin was a DJ and he had to go pay his electric bill and he put on Ingada Devida and left the building to do the deed, this of course was on vinyl so he spent the whole time sweating that it was going to skip.

Dom Heffner
02-12-2007, 10:39 PM

I was in Richmond, though. I had to play it. And they all knew where I parked my car (the one with the palm print on the driver's side window). :)

Dom Heffner
02-12-2007, 10:50 PM
My cousin was a DJ and he had to go pay his electric bill and he put on Ingada Devida and left the building to do the deed, this of course was on vinyl so he spent the whole time sweating that it was going to skip.

Oh, the stories I could tell you. Most of them were from my sheer stupidity. A few were from my being a sucker for a beautiful face.

I have a few that happened when I worked for Jacor that would make Matt feel better about himself everyday. He would think he was the best employee they ever had.

I'm not sure if Pete Gimmer still works at WLW, but he cursed over the airwaves one time and doesn't know it today.

I'll see if I can tell this one right. In the old days at 550 WCKY, they did not have a news room. The folks from WLW would supply the newsbreaks, but I had to tape it on the reel to reel machine from their voice over a phone.

Well one time I was swamped with the show I was board op-ing, when Pete called from the newsroom. "I have some news for you," he said.

To focus on the show I was producing, I turned down the volume and hit "record" so I could play it back later.

Well, when it came time to do the news, I cued up the reel to reel. Pete was always nice enough to do a little countdown so I could cue it up just perfectly. He would say something like "Okay, here comes the news in 3, 2, 1."

So I cue it up to that point, played the little ABC news sounder, and hit play.

Pete comes on as usual and starts in with something like, "There was a double murder in Clifton tonight..."

And then he stops and says, "Dammit, let's try that again. News in 3, 2, 1..."

All of which went over the air because I didn't listen to it before I played it.

I always assumed Randy Michaels would come and visit me or John Phillips, but nobody ever said a word. Probably because no one listened to the shows I produced.

paintmered
02-12-2007, 11:20 PM
As for james Blunt, that may simply be the worst song released so far this century.

I feel the need to break stuff whenever I hear James Blunt.

kbrake
02-12-2007, 11:22 PM
Also cant stand The Beatles.

Johnny Footstool
02-13-2007, 12:40 AM
I believe that was the point - That Damone was full of crap and didn't know anymore about dates that Ratner did, but he tried to be all smooth and didn't even know where the song was.

That was evidenced by the wrong song playing while in the car.

Ah, but in the book version, Ratner DOES play Led Zep IV.

My mom refused to allow me to see the movie, so I swiped the book from her and read it in secret. I watched the movie a couple of years later, hoping to hone in on some hot dating tips for my approaching high school years.

BTW - I'm surprised more people haven't mentioned "Paradise by the Dashboard Light".

marcshoe
02-13-2007, 03:25 AM
I would say that it hasn't been mentioned because the thread is about great songs, but there is this:

I HATE "Bohemian Rhapsody" by Queen and Meat Loaf's "Paradise by the dashboard light"

cinredsfan2000
02-13-2007, 06:48 AM
Smells like teen spirit nirvana

In fact anything off of there nevermind cd/album !

Caveat Emperor
02-13-2007, 07:24 AM
I really don't "get" Johnny Cash. Outside of "Ring of Fire," I don't think there is a single song of his that I would listen to if the option was available to listen to something else or turn the stereo off.

And I'll second (or third) whatever has been said about James Blunt; how that whiny pile of awful ever sold a record is beyond me.

KittyDuran
02-13-2007, 08:02 AM
I really don't "get" Johnny Cash. Outside of "Ring of Fire," I don't think there is a single song of his that I would listen to if the option was available to listen to something else or turn the stereo off.

And I'll second (or third) whatever has been said about James Blunt; how that whiny pile of awful ever sold a record is beyond me.I sort of get Cash - can't say the same for Kris Kristofferson (great songwriter like Dylan-but can't sing). My dad luvs Kris and played his songs in the car when we went to Belterra New Year's Eve - 2 hours of sheer torture! :bang:

KittyDuran
02-13-2007, 08:04 AM
I know that "great" is in quotation marks, but I think that is still taking it a little too far.Blunt hasn't been around long enough. Also, do the critics adore him? [that's sometimes is a clue for me to distrust some music]

minus5
02-13-2007, 08:33 AM
I don't think anyone has mentioned them yet but nearly every song that Metallica has done. I can't stand it. Their version of Turn the Page Turns My Stomach. They took a horrible song and found a way to make it even worse. And having Hetfield add "AH" onto the the last word of every freaking line goes right through me! Hate 'Em!!!

OesterPoster
02-13-2007, 08:39 AM
I don't think anyone has mentioned them yet but nearly every song that Metallica has done. I can't stand it. Their version of Turn the Page Turns My Stomach. They took a horrible song and found a way to make it even worse. And having Hetfield add "AH" onto the the last word of every freaking line goes right through me! Hate 'Em!!!

It's okay. I love Metallica, Pearl Jam, and Nirvana. I'd say the new Metallica stuff sucks, but give me ...and Justice for All, the Black Album, or anything from their pre-haircut days.

vaticanplum
02-13-2007, 08:40 AM
Blunt hasn't been around long enough. Also, do the critics adore him? [that's sometimes is a clue for me to distrust some music]

I don't actually know anything about James blunt except that that song burns my ears, and there was a period of about two months when it was inescapable.

Jaycint
02-13-2007, 08:47 AM
I'll join the chorus of Beatles haters. I'd rather sit next to a Cubs fan at GABP during a blowout Reds loss than listen to any of that garbage.

GAC
02-13-2007, 08:54 AM
Conquistador - Procol Harem
Born To Be Wild - Steppenwolf
I Gotta get Out Of This Place - Animals
Touch Me - Doors
Green Eyed Lady...Sugarloaf
Y.M.C.A - Village People
Sweet Emotion - Aerosmith

And anything by Jerry Garcia and the Grateful Dead.... Truckin, Casey Jones.

GAC
02-13-2007, 08:56 AM
Not that I care that some really hate the Beatles. To each his own. But I'd love to hear what the musical "tastes" are for some of those who hate them? ;)

KittyDuran
02-13-2007, 09:03 AM
Not that I care that some really hate the Beatles. To each his own. But I'd love to hear what the musical "tastes" are for some of those who hate them? ;)I worked with some people at my last job who did not like the Beatles (didn't hate them). Part of the reason was that they changed rock and roll forever... it was no longer just made in America. Sort of like how the automotive industry looked at foreign made cars - it was un-American.

gonelong
02-13-2007, 09:04 AM
I hate Chrismas music. Its probably because my wife insists on starting to play it around Thanksgiving and keeps playing them into January.

I can pretty much live with everything else.

GL

Yachtzee
02-13-2007, 09:10 AM
I don't actually know anything about James blunt except that that song burns my ears, and there was a period of about two months when it was inescapable.

I thought he had won a bunch of awards for inflicting that evil upon the earth.

RichRed
02-13-2007, 09:49 AM
I'll agree with those who have said Rush. I remember back when I was a teenager having a friend play Rush for hours on end and gush about how great they were. I thought they were annoying then, and I think they're annoying now.

I have the exact same story, except for me, it's the Doors instead of Rush. "Light My Fire" makes me want to throw things. And then light them on fire.

Jaycint
02-13-2007, 10:04 AM
Not that I care that some really hate the Beatles. To each his own. But I'd love to hear what the musical "tastes" are for some of those who hate them? ;)

Since I'm a Beatles hater I'll chime in:

Rage Against the Machine, Audioslave, HIM, Breaking Benjamin, Korn, Chevelle, Dropkick Murphys, Avenged Sevenfold, Nirvana, Killswitch Engage, Hawthorne Heights, Mudvayne, My Chemical Romance, etc. I am really into most music that could be considered alternative rock although that's kind of a generic catch-all label.

To each his own though, while I don't like the Beatles and don't understand the fascination so many have with them I'm sure many feel the same way about the music I listen to.

IowaRed
02-13-2007, 11:27 AM
Old time Rock and Roll-Bob Seger (blasphemy I know)
any song by Huey Lewis if any are considered "great"
Kokomo-The Beach Boys
Mony Mony-Billy Idol version
Cocaine-Clapton
Born in the USA-Springsteen

bucksfan
02-13-2007, 11:47 AM
I think this inevitably turns into a which generally popular artists you dislike. That's easy for me too, though I like a lot of what people are saying they hate above as well What I am trying to come up with is what generally acclaimed songs by artists I typically enjoy just don't hit me right. I am still working on this.

pedro
02-13-2007, 12:25 PM
Since I'm a Beatles hater I'll chime in:

Rage Against the Machine, Audioslave, HIM, Breaking Benjamin, Korn, Chevelle, Dropkick Murphys, Avenged Sevenfold, Nirvana, Killswitch Engage, Hawthorne Heights, Mudvayne, My Chemical Romance, etc. I am really into most music that could be considered alternative rock although that's kind of a generic catch-all label.

To each his own though, while I don't like the Beatles and don't understand the fascination so many have with them I'm sure many feel the same way about the music I listen to.

you got that right. :)

I think Rage Against the Machine hardly even qualifies as music. (although the guy is a really good guitar player)

I'll also second GAC on "Green Eyed Lady" and add "Green Manalishi" by Fleetwwod mac.

Puffy
02-13-2007, 12:26 PM
You guys are really playing fast and loose with the "great" songs part of the equation.

pedro
02-13-2007, 12:28 PM
Thirty Days in the Hole - Humble Pie

pedro
02-13-2007, 12:29 PM
You guys are really playing fast and loose with the "great" songs part of the equation.

Probably true, but my litmus test is anything that classic rock DJ's have been shoving down my throat for the last 30 years.

KronoRed
02-13-2007, 01:03 PM
Everything by the Rolling Stones and all mid to late 80's hair bands that is considered great

Yuck ;)

RichRed
02-13-2007, 01:06 PM
Probably true, but my litmus test is anything that classic rock DJ's have been shoving down my throat for the last 30 years.

That's good enough for me. And since I started this thread, that makes it just plain good enough. ;)

ochre
02-13-2007, 01:07 PM
Well, it is in "".

"" = play fast and loose!

RichRed
02-13-2007, 01:08 PM
Cocaine-Clapton

I'll see your 'Cocaine' by Clapton and raise you 'I Shot the Sheriff' by Clapton.

westofyou
02-13-2007, 01:22 PM

The shark was jumped when GAC typed Sugarloaf and "Green Eyed Lady" in a thread entitled "Great Songs"

zombie-a-go-go
02-13-2007, 01:37 PM
I've never liked Holst's "Planets" symphony, but I think that has more to do with seeing Star Wars before I heard the pieces that John Williams shamelessly ripped off for that film's soundtrack.

Falls City Beer
02-13-2007, 01:50 PM
Big thumbs up to the one who said "Smells like Teen Spirit." Lame song; terrible production.

And they produced some very good music; to me it's a shame that they're reduced to that song as their calling card.

westofyou
02-13-2007, 01:55 PM
And they produced some very good music; to me it's a shame that they're reduced to that song as their calling card.

For me their calling card is Love Buzz

CrackerJack
02-13-2007, 02:02 PM
Hotel California
Desperado
White Room
American Band
Anything by Foghat or similar groups from that era

I could name a million of them that you often hear on the radio waves or at supermarkets and drug stores - including modern country music, just about all of it.

But the above burnout specials are the most vile.

(PS - give Led Zeppelin a break - you young'ins need to look at your own jock rock/hip hop no-talent hacks, boy bands and fake punk emo atrocities before even touching classic rock groups that most new bands today could only dream of being as talented as)

CrackerJack
02-13-2007, 02:08 PM
Big thumbs up to the one who said "Smells like Teen Spirit." Lame song; terrible production.

True. It's not a bad rock song by any means, but I never thought of it as any kind of generational theme song either.

I am glad I was able to enjoy and experience it, thankfully, before it ever even hit the radio, and you never wanted to hear the damn thing again a year later. Still don't.

So, good choice.

kbrake
02-13-2007, 02:11 PM

Dave Matthews Band for me. I know alot of people dislike them for various reasons, but I have always been really big on them.

Caveat Emperor
02-13-2007, 02:12 PM
"Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds" by the Beatles

I love the Beatles -- but their psychadelic phase really leaves me flat, and this song is probably the epitome of that.

pedro
02-13-2007, 02:16 PM
Hotel California
Desperado
White Room
American Band
Anything by Foghat or similar groups from that era

I could name a million of them that you often hear on the radio waves or at supermarkets and drug stores - including modern country music, just about all of it.

But the above burnout specials are the most vile.

(PS - give Led Zeppelin a break - you young'ins need to look at your own jock rock/hip hop no-talent hacks, boy bands and fake punk emo atrocities before even touching classic rock groups that most new bands today could only dream of being as talented as)

I'm no young'in.

paintmered
02-13-2007, 02:17 PM
Dave Matthews Band for me. I know alot of people dislike them for various reasons, but I have always been really big on them.

I listen to DMB every now and then. I think the most accurate description I've heard of them is they sound like a band falling down a staircase.

Caveat Emperor
02-13-2007, 02:22 PM
I listen to DMB every now and then. I think the most accurate description I've heard of them is they sound like a band falling down a staircase.

Maybe a staircase made of gold and awesomeness. :D

To each his own -- I think DMB is fantastic. They produce a great sound that covers the entire spectrum from upbeat and peppy to haunting and introspective. Every time I see them live, I find something different to appreciate and love about them.

But, thats what makes music and art so incredible: the exact same piece of music can make different people feel entirely different emotions and bring about entirely different responses.

nate
02-13-2007, 02:48 PM
I'll see your 'Cocaine' by Clapton and raise you 'I Shot the Sheriff' by Clapton.

Bob Marley wrote "Sheriff".

I agree though, Clapton's version fits the spirit of this thread.

Jaycint
02-13-2007, 03:01 PM
you young'ins need to look at your own jock rock/hip hop no-talent hacks, boy bands and fake punk emo atrocities before even touching classic rock groups that most new bands today could only dream of being as talented as)

Sigh...And why is it that they "could only dream of being as talented as"? Because it's not what you grew up with? Just like when I hit old-timer status I'm sure I'll feel the same way about what my kids like to listen to. Different times, different forms of expression, different sounds and deliveries. Not necessarily "it's no good because it's not what I grew up with".

zombie-a-go-go
02-13-2007, 03:03 PM

There's a line of demarcation, see, that separates "Objective" and "Subjective" from one another.

I don't think you're on the side of the line you think you're on.
:)

westofyou
02-13-2007, 03:03 PM
I said,
"Who put all those things in your head?
Things that make me feel that I'm mad ;)

marcshoe
02-13-2007, 03:59 PM
Bob Marley wrote "Sheriff".

I agree though, Clapton's version fits the spirit of this thread.

And J.J. Cale wrote "Cocaine", fwiw.

westofyou
02-13-2007, 04:09 PM
And J.J. Cale wrote "Cocaine", fwiw.

And George Harrison wrote Badge... I'm seeing a pattern here.

vaticanplum
02-13-2007, 04:31 PM
Has anybody mentioned Layla? I second anything by the Eagles as well.

westofyou
02-13-2007, 04:35 PM
Has anybody mentioned Layla? I second anything by the Eagles as well.

The eagles do a version of Tom Wait's Old 55, they put steel pedal over it.

He was mad... but they were right.

"Don Henley taught me how to live like a Rock Star."

Stevie Nicks

pedro
02-13-2007, 04:36 PM
Has anybody mentioned Layla? .

You're killing me. :)

vaticanplum
02-13-2007, 04:45 PM

I am about to admit something which I already have a great deal of trouble living down: there is an official recorded album on this planet with me as the singer covering a Dave Matthews song :help: This was NOT my choice. I mean, I wasn't tied down and held at gunpoint, but I didn't pick the song.

That said, you know, I think DMB is a decent jam band (a la Grateful Dead or whatever) with a handful of good musicians. Their drummer is incredibly talented. But I see them as that, a jam band, lacking truly great songwriting skill. In that sense, part of me bets they'd be better live than on album, as some people have said, but on the other hand I'm an intolerant pretentious person who couldn't handle those fans and their outdoor Banana Republic orgies or whatever the heck goes on there.

And Pedro: I do my best :) I recognize it's a great song, it just does nothing for me.

Yachtzee
02-13-2007, 04:46 PM
"Don Henley taught me how to live like a Rock Star."

Stevie Nicks

"Don Henley must die!"

Mojo Nixon

Tony Cloninger
02-13-2007, 04:50 PM
How can someone like the Dave Matthews Band ....and hate the Beatles at the same time?

I can understand liking Rage Against the Machine and Nirvana......or any punk/metal band....and not liking the Beatles.
But liking a band......that while they play good songs.....are basically just as MOR today as they view the way Beatles music sounds.
I mean what is the difference there?

Same with liking RATM and freaking Korn??.....but not liking Zeppelin?
It's got nothing to do with what you grew up with.
I was 12 in 1979 when i first really started listening to music.....You could not get me to listen to the Beatles, LZ, The Who or anything to do with hippie 60's-70's music.....up until about i was 18.
I thought nothing was better than the Pistols, Buzzcocks, Clash, Black Flag, TSOL ........but i can honestly say that yes.....those bands that i hated in my teens were better in the end. Only the Clash (talent/songwriting/social commentary) and to some extent the Pistols.....could you or would you lump in with those 3, including the Stones.

I mean the guitar player from RATM is basically taking Page's guitar work and just making it even harder and faster.....but there is no difference there.
They are basically a Led Zeppelin clone minus the hippy dippy lyrics and all the Lord of the Rings refrences.

I know people get sick of being beaten over the head on the Beatles and even Led Zep to some extent..........you want to rebel against that when you are young. You want some newer and fresher to call your own.

Jaycint
02-13-2007, 05:08 PM
Same with liking RATM and freaking Korn??.....but not liking Zeppelin?

I mean the guitar player from RATM is basically taking Page's guitar work and just making it even harder and faster.....but there is no difference there.
They are basically a Led Zeppelin clone minus the hippy dippy lyrics and all the Lord of the Rings refrences.

I know people get sick of being beaten over the head on the Beatles and even Led Zep to some extent..........you want to rebel against that when you are young. You want some newer and fresher to call your own.

I never said I didn't like Led Zeppelin...just the Beatles. And the idea that because it was produced in the 60's or 70's it is automatically superior is a little irritating as well. If you wanna make the argument that there's nothing new under the sun as far as guitar riffs and that today's bands just made them harder or faster that's one thing but the disconnect for me is the lyrical content. Like you said, the hippy dippy lyrics or LotR references aren't relevant to me. I don't relate at all to those times and the issues of that day, therefore I prefer today's artists that I feel speak more to what is going on in my world.

kbrake
02-13-2007, 05:12 PM
Here is the thing for DMB, at least with me. First, vaticanplum, yes I like them much better live than on album and I understand your point about the fans. Thats why I said in my original post that people dislike DMB for various reasons. However the frat boy image is a stereo type. Most people I know that are huge into DMB are nothing close to that.

As for how I like DMB but not The Beatles. I dont know that I can really explain it. I just find The Beatles to be extremely boring. I know its from a different time and its not like I dont respect what they did with their music, I guess its just not for me. DMB is such a blend of different sounds that it is just something unique to me. I dont know, I cant really explain it all that well I guess.

redsfanmia
02-13-2007, 05:53 PM
Here is the thing for DMB, at least with me. First, vaticanplum, yes I like them much better live than on album and I understand your point about the fans.

I like DMB on album and hated them live, God how I loathe jam bands live.

Sweetstop
02-13-2007, 06:02 PM
I am totally amazed that there are so many people here who don't like The Beatles. Makes me feel old, and I don't look,feel (usually) or act old. As I age, the more I like music from different generations....my parents music, my children's music.

Makes me feel discarded that my generation's music is so easily disregarded.

Dom Heffner
02-13-2007, 06:04 PM
God how I loathe jam bands live.

It goes on and on and on and on....

We walked out of DMB a few years ago. We sat through two encores, waiting for him to play "Crash Into Me," and at some point it was no longer worth it.

When we were pulling out of the parking lot 15 minutes later, they were still jamming.

westofyou
02-13-2007, 06:10 PM
I am totally amazed that there are so many people here who don't like The Beatles. Makes me feel old, and I don't look,feel (usually) or act old. As I age, the more I like music from different generations....my parents music, my children's music.

Makes me feel discarded that my generation's music is so easily disregarded.

Personally I can't imagine life without the Beatles.

It was the first music (aside from AM Motown) that I remember, still to this day I listen to the Beatles daily.

Today it was Revolver, great guitar album.

kbrake
02-13-2007, 07:31 PM

We walked out of DMB a few years ago. We sat through two encores, waiting for him to play "Crash Into Me," and at some point it was no longer worth it.

When we were pulling out of the parking lot 15 minutes later, they were still jamming.

The jamming is part of what I like so much. However, I can see how some people would not find it to be a great time. And its not that I dislike DMB on albums their first 4 were great IMO, but since then they have kind of struggled with the album thing.

Yachtzee
02-13-2007, 07:43 PM
The jamming is part of what I like so much. However, I can see how some people would not find it to be a great time. And its not that I dislike DMB on albums their first 4 were great IMO, but since then they have kind of struggled with the album thing.

To me, jam bands seem kind of like free form jazz. It's probably more fun to play than it is to listen to. I feel like I'm sitting in on a conversation with a group of people who tell a lot of inside jokes. They think the conversation is hilarious but you just don't get it.

Newport Red
02-13-2007, 09:58 PM
Imagine by John lennon
Hey Jude by The Beatles

How they make it on the airwaves, I'll never understand.

I'm Slim Pickins on the bomb if I'm in the car and miss the seek button on the radio.

Blimpie
02-13-2007, 10:07 PM
"Alice's Restaurant" by Arlo Guthrie makes me want to drive off the road.

GAC
02-13-2007, 11:07 PM
Personally I can't imagine life without the Beatles.

Me neither. I listen to a large variety of music on my way to & fro work, though it's all "older" classic rock from the 60's, 70's, and some 80's. But my car always has at least one Beatle's CD in it. And solo stuff too. I've come to appreciate McCartney's first solo album over the years, though I didn't care much for it when it first came out.

It was the first music (aside from AM Motown) that I remember, still to this day I listen to the Beatles daily.

I just think it's simply a generational thing. My dad was a HUGE Big Band Era junkie and couldn't understand why we kids didn't appreciate it. I guess you had to be there to experience it and create those memories. It's the same with the Beatles - you just had to be there. I still remember standing in line around the corner of downtown to try and get in to see A Hard Days Night.

Today it was Revolver, great guitar album.

One very well produced album. I love "She Said, She Said" and "Tommorrow Never Knows."

I've been listening to Rubber Soul (English version) which also contains songs that Capitol split off into the Yesterday and Today album.

dman
02-13-2007, 11:10 PM
One that I don't recall being mentioned: Lou Reed "Walk On The Wild Side"

GAC
02-13-2007, 11:23 PM
The shark was jumped when GAC typed Sugarloaf and "Green Eyed Lady" in a thread entitled "Great Songs"

True. But I am also dealing" with a crowd that I assume is alot younger then me (early 50's). "Green Eyed Lady" got alot of airplay on AM radio when it first came out. :mooner:

I guess one needs to define what they mean by "great"? Because greatness, when it comes to listening styles, holds different meanings according to tastes.

Alot of the "older" songs I've listed would be considered (or defined) as classics I guess.

Add to the list....

Joy To The World - Three Dog Night
Dust In The Wind - Kansas
Come Sail Away - Styx
Footloose - Kenny Loggins (actually anything by Loggins)
We're An American Band - Grand Funk
Your Song - Elton John

cincinnati chili
02-13-2007, 11:37 PM
One that I don't recall being mentioned: Lou Reed "Walk On The Wild Side"

I can understand people not liking it. However, to me, this song sounds more like Manhattan after 2am than any song ever written. Love the rhythm section in it. If all minimalism was this good, I'd be a minimalist.

redsfanmia
02-14-2007, 06:58 AM

I walked out on the show after 3 songs, ofcourse it was an hour after the show started. I felt the same way when I saw Neil Young with Crazy Horse, the first 5 minutes of Like a Hurricane was great but the next 17 minutes of a 3 note guitar solo was a little overkill. JMO

registerthis
02-14-2007, 11:38 AM
Imagine by John lennon
Hey Jude by The Beatles

How they make it on the airwaves, I'll never understand.

No kidding. It's not like anyone likes those songs or anything.

nate
02-14-2007, 12:14 PM
Hey Jude by The Beatles

Understandable if you've heard the Linda McCartney monitor mix version.

texasdave
02-14-2007, 12:15 PM
I would include the song 'Wind beneath my Wings' - any version.

Roy Tucker
02-14-2007, 01:15 PM
I'm the old guy so I'll chime in here with my old-timer blatherings that you can promptly ignore.

There are a lot of songs that I at one time loved with a passion. But after literally 100's (or 1000's) of listenings, I just got worn out on them. Most popular songs from the "classic rock" era fall into this category. Still like them once in a while, but as a steady diet, I'm just a little tired of them.

I also listened to these songs as I grew up so there are a lot of emotional attachments to these songs that are apart from the quality of the music, i.e. the song may suck but it was from a good/bad time in my life so I remember them vividly.

There is music that I get and I don't get. Some music I get but I don't like. And some of what I don't get, I just don't understand the big deal. But who cares? It works for others so that's good. Just doesn't work for me.

There are a lot of current songs and bands that I like. But nothing near the passion that I once held for music. Age and fossil-dom probably have a lot to do with that. But I do like to talk to my kids about their music and what they like.

And my breadth of music expands. I've gone back and listened to some of the old 78's my dad had and started to appreciate what the big deal was, what the passions were for that era, and just why everyone went ga-ga about it. True for classical and jazz as well. I think I just understand music and music forms better. Once upon a time, I didn't like the music. But now I appreciate it more and actually like stuff I used to hate.

And I can't say I hate any music form. Mostly, I just don't care for it and it doesn't interest me. But hate is a pretty strong word.

That is all.

bucksfan
02-14-2007, 01:50 PM

I know several people that do...All depends on how wide you want to expand your version of "anyone"... Like Roy says, as I've gotten older, my tastes appreciation of different forms of music or just different tastes has increased dramatically.

marcshoe
02-14-2007, 02:31 PM

I do, particularly Hey, Jude.