PDA

View Full Version : RedsZone Gathering? (See Reds Live)

Johnny Footstool
02-12-2007, 04:03 PM
It's still early, but I'm interested in making the trek to Cincinnati this year for the annual RedsZone gathering. Anything in the works?

Red Leader
02-12-2007, 04:11 PM
Not anymore. ;)

I had talked to a couple people about it (most out of towners) and they didn't appear to be too gung ho about paying for a plane ticket to Cincinnati to see this year's team. Can't blame them.

I'm usually pretty busy with my kids activities in the summer, but most likely could find a weekend night to go see a game.

Ltlabner
02-12-2007, 04:13 PM
I'd be interested in attending a gathering.

Are they as feisty in person as they can be in the anonimity of cyberspace?

BRM
I make a trip back to southern Indiana every summer anyway. I'd be interested in attending if the RedsZone gathering is in the same timeframe.

Heath
I don't know if there's gonna be one with White Death and all. We could be all dead by tommorrow. There's no hope.

:D

Heath
02-12-2007, 04:17 PM
All seriousness now, I think the best ones are the one's you can make up at the last minute. Like, if Kitty didn't buy season tickets, she could have had the RedsZone gathering in the Cheap Seats. Cyclone sat in scouts seats.

Or, just toss an announcement here. For instance say the following -

Hey, I'm headed down to the April 5th Businesspersons Special - anybody want to hook up and talk baseball or have soda/beer at the Machine room?

It's cool like that.

That way creek isn't stuck with a bunch of tickets.

Johnny Footstool
02-12-2007, 04:20 PM
All seriousness now, I think the best ones are the one's you can make up at the last minute. Like, if Kitty didn't buy season tickets, she could have had the RedsZone gathering in the Cheap Seats. Cyclone sat in scouts seats.

Or, just toss an announcement here. For instance say the following -

Quote:
Hey, I'm headed down to the April 5th Businesspersons Special - anybody want to hook up and talk baseball or have soda/beer at the Machine room?

It's cool like that.

I don't have that kind of drawing power. I was hoping to hitch my wagon to an existing planned event.

BRM
02-12-2007, 04:20 PM
I don't have that kind of drawing power. It's better if I hitch my wagon to an existing planned event.

It's the only way for those of us who live outside the local Cincy area.

GIK
02-12-2007, 04:25 PM
GAC is still on the hook for his G2G. :evil:

SunDeck
02-12-2007, 04:52 PM
I have never attended any RZ gathering because I am afraid folks will find out that I am (if you can believe it) actually a very boring person.

But I'll give it a shot this year. My schedule is a little tough though- I work a lot of Saturdays- but if there is one on a weekend day at a bar downtown, then I would try to make it.

creek14
02-12-2007, 04:59 PM
Well since it appears that I might actually live through the summer, I would be willing to pull something together, but I really don't want to do the *maybe I'll come* ticket thing.

I'm at work <gasp> and probably will be until late Tuesday, but on Wed, I'll set up a poll with all the home weekend games and we can come up with a date.

That work for you all?

Red Leader
02-12-2007, 05:03 PM
creek - see if there are any Saturday night games. There probably aren't many of them, and I'd imagine those would be the easiest on everyone's schedules. Saturday night games and Sunday games are the easiest on my schedule for sure. Because drinking for a Sunday day game isn't as fun on Monday, a Sat night game might be best. Anyone else prefer a Sat night game?

GIK
02-12-2007, 05:08 PM
Saturday night would be the only way I could make it from SE Michigan - and I'm guessing it'd be a good night for most people who have to drive an hour or two (or more).

Puffy
02-12-2007, 05:14 PM
I don't know about this - I lost my drinking buddy Zombie to marriage (IE, he's not allowed to party as much). Plus I know RFS will puss out.

letsgojunior
02-12-2007, 05:17 PM
I don't know about this - I lost my drinking buddy Zombie to marriage (IE, he's not allowed to party as much). Plus I know RFS will puss out.

That's pretty much a given. Someone should convince him to buy a Tivo in the meantime so he doesn't have to miss Wheel of Fortune (his main sticking point last time).

Johnny Footstool
02-12-2007, 05:22 PM
A Saturday night game would be cool.

Here's a link to the schedule:

http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/schedule/index.jsp?c_id=cin&m=6&y=2007

June would be ideal, but the tickets will probably be hard to come by, since the opponents are CLE, TEX, and STL. The Cardinals game on June 30 would be great.

Heath
02-12-2007, 05:29 PM
I don't have that kind of drawing power. I was hoping to hitch my wagon to an existing planned event.

Point taken.

And, I'd prefer weekday games. But, don't plan around me. Maybe we can do two. One during the weekend and one during the week.

oneupper
02-12-2007, 06:14 PM
Well since it appears that I might actually live through the summer, I would be willing to pull something together, but I really don't want to do the *maybe I'll come* ticket thing.

I'm at work <gasp> and probably will be until late Tuesday, but on Wed, I'll set up a poll with all the home weekend games and we can come up with a date.

That work for you all?

Creek. I haven't been to one of these (I'd love to, but...I'm far away).
However, I did follow the "poll" process last year and from what I gather, the whole thing didn't work out that well.

My 2 cents. If someone is going to organize this, well...THEY are the boss. They pick the week and games and pretty much set the schedule. Everyone else can either come along for the ride or stay home.

Democracy works for a lot of things. Event planning ISN'T one of them.

creek14
02-12-2007, 06:19 PM
Gesh, what am I, chopped liver?

creek14
02-12-2007, 06:20 PM
Creek. I haven't been to one of these (I'd love to, but...I'm far away).

My 2 cents. If someone is going to organize this, well...THEY are the boss.

I like, no, love the way you think!

wheels
02-12-2007, 06:21 PM
I'm down for a Saturday night game.

I could get a hotel room, and go to the Sunday game as well.

Puffy
02-12-2007, 06:57 PM
Gesh, what am I, chopped liver?

Of course not - i know you'll be out there after the game we go to. I'm more talking pre-game, late late night festivities.

Chip R
02-12-2007, 07:09 PM
That one last year really worked out well, didn't it Kitty? :lol:

I think there's only one day game on Saturday so there's a lot of choices.

And for those of you who want to go during the week, there's always a few of us who can get together on short notice. Just let us know when you'll be in town and we'll see what we can do.

Yachtzee
02-12-2007, 07:22 PM
Democracy works for a lot of things. Event planning ISN'T one of them.

As someone who has had to plan such events in the past. I agree. Event planning is a dictatorship. Tell them when, where, what. Once they get there, distract them with bread and circuses.

I wouldn't mind coming down and meeting some redszoners for a Reds game, but I'm booked through July 26th, going through what Caveat went through last summer. Maybe if I swing some tickets for a game later in the season, I'll post a message to see if anyone is game.

paintmered
02-12-2007, 07:34 PM
As someone who has had to plan such events in the past. I agree. Event planning is a dictatorship. Tell them when, where, what. Once they get there, distract them with bread and circuses.

I third this. :thumbup:

KittyDuran
02-12-2007, 07:37 PM
That one last year really worked out well, didn't it Kitty?
Sure was-didn't you get a free beer bet on me?...:beerme: What it really came down to is that we need to get better social lives...;)

Chip R
02-12-2007, 07:41 PM
Sure was-didn't you get a free beer bet on me?...:beerme: What it really came down to is that we need to get better social lives...;)

Sadly, yes. ;)

GAC
02-12-2007, 08:09 PM
GAC is still on the hook for his G2G. :evil:

Bail was finally made. But I don't plan'em.... I just attend them. :mooner:

But I'm hoping that something will be set up this year. They have always been fun in the past. It's always fun to meet "out of towners". The two-game affair in 2005 was a HUGE success.

If no one else shows up, then let me know the date(s) Johnny and I'd love to get together with you for a game.

If creek does the planning then it is sure to be a huge success. She works for the government and can set up Homeland Security for the event.

SandyD
02-12-2007, 08:38 PM

I wouldn't mind coming down and meeting some redszoners for a Reds game, but I'm booked through July 26th, going through what Caveat went through last summer. Maybe if I swing some tickets for a game later in the season, I'll post a message to see if anyone is game.

I want to come. I'm just doubtful once again this year. I still owe Alfred a trip to see the White Sox play. Not sure I can do both.

HOWEVER, once the timing is decided ... I agree with the dictatorship idea. A poll to gauge interest is one thing, but once that's out of the way ...

Good luck, Yachtzee.

Yachtzee
02-12-2007, 10:13 PM
Good luck, Yachtzee.

Thanks, SandyD.

creek14
02-13-2007, 04:06 AM
I'm digging this Supreme Ruler of the Universe Thing*.

Right now I'm leaning towards 16Jun vs Texas, only because it looks like one of the best chances to get a block of tix together.

*SRUT

zombie-a-go-go
02-13-2007, 06:03 AM

Negative, ghostrider; I'll be in attendance this year, should anything come together.

(So long as it's not July 5-8)

Sean_CaseyRules
02-13-2007, 06:28 AM
A Saturday night game would be cool.

Here's a link to the schedule:

http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/schedule/index.jsp?c_id=cin&m=6&y=2007

June would be ideal, but the tickets will probably be hard to come by, since the opponents are CLE, TEX, and STL. The Cardinals game on June 30 would be great.

STL would be great! But maybe we could see some more MAGIC against Cleveland. I would love to go this year!

paintmered
02-13-2007, 07:25 AM
STL would be great! But maybe we could see some more MAGIC against Cleveland. I would love to go this year!

I hope that day isn't chosen. I'm kind of graduating June 9th.

SandyD
02-13-2007, 07:35 AM
On another note, I think that a RZ road trip would be fun. Especially if we could all meet in some road city for a couple of Reds games. If we could get enough people to agree on a time/place.

SunDeck
02-13-2007, 08:45 AM

Don't get ahead of yourself, Paint. :laugh:

creek14
02-13-2007, 08:46 AM
Then paint comes to work here at the building full time. :devil: :laugh: :devil:

creek14
02-13-2007, 08:47 AM
The odds of getting a block of tickets together for those series are slim to none.

Hence the Texas series jumping into the lead.

GAC
02-13-2007, 09:04 AM

Yeah, we understand. You certainly don't want to throw 9 years of college down the drain. :mooner:

Johnny Footstool
02-13-2007, 10:29 AM
I'm digging this Supreme Ruler of the Universe Thing*.

Right now I'm leaning towards 16Jun vs Texas, only because it looks like one of the best chances to get a block of tix together.

*SRUT

That would work nicely for me.

I could add a poll to this thread with some game dates, if there are more suggestions.

paintmered
02-13-2007, 11:57 AM
Yeah, we understand. You certainly don't want to throw 9 years of college down the drain. :mooner:

Best decade of my life. :thumbup:

BRM
02-13-2007, 02:33 PM
Is the idea to have any interested folks get together prior to the game to consume beverages?

KittyDuran
02-13-2007, 02:45 PM
Is the idea to have any interested folks get together prior to the game to consume beverages?and after the game as well...:beerme:

Edit: Some of us are non-drinkers - we just sit, observe and take notes. :ughmamoru

BRM
02-13-2007, 02:47 PM
and after the game as well...:beerme:

:thumbup:

Nice. I hope I can plan my annual Indiana trip around the RedsZone weekend. It sounds like it could be a good time.

Johnny Footstool
02-13-2007, 02:48 PM
Is the idea to have any interested folks get together prior to the game to consume beverages?

Before, during, and after is my plan. Me likee some beer.

BRM
02-13-2007, 02:52 PM
Before, during, and after is my plan. Me likee some beer.

Same here. It's my only vice....well, maybe not my only one.

SunDeck
02-13-2007, 03:57 PM
and after the game as well...:beerme:

Edit: Some of us are non-drinkers - we just sit, observe and take notes. :ughmamoru

Pictures, Kitty. We want you to take pictures.

On second thought, maybe notes will be just fine.

Roy Tucker
02-13-2007, 04:07 PM
Did someone mention beer?

If so, I'm good to go. Being local, travel and lodging aren't a problem.

My only risk is that "RZ gathering" is written in pencil on the family calendar and is prone to being written over with "visit Aunt Maude".

Red Leader
02-13-2007, 04:09 PM
Writing "Redszone gathering" on the calendar goes over about as well as writing "Bachelor party" on the calendar as well, even though it is written in pencil.

Yachtzee
02-13-2007, 04:50 PM
Writing "Redszone gathering" on the calendar goes over about as well as writing "Bachelor party" on the calendar as well, even though it is written in pencil.

But will there be chicks and booze and firetrucks?

BRM
02-13-2007, 04:51 PM

You can't call it a gathering or party without those things.

Roy Tucker
02-13-2007, 04:56 PM

I'm OK with all that, but when goats and sheep start getting led out of their pens, I draw the line there.

Well, goats definitely, sheep are OK if Puffy is around. No chickens or llamas.

BRM
02-13-2007, 04:58 PM

Llama hater...

Puffy
02-13-2007, 05:16 PM

Boy will I be happy when this joke dies.

GAC
02-13-2007, 11:42 PM

Why? Brings up BAAAAAAAAAAAAAD memories? :mooner:

westofyou
02-14-2007, 10:11 AM

Who are you?

Rube Waddell?

Heath
02-14-2007, 10:12 AM

Old Jokes never die....they just get laughed away.

I'm more of the unofficial gathering guy, but if it's a good weekend, I'll go.

KronoRed
02-14-2007, 12:59 PM
I go where the sprite is

Heath
02-14-2007, 02:11 PM
I go where the sprite is

The Reds sell Sierra Mist.

:D

KronoRed
02-14-2007, 02:19 PM
I know, cheapies.

RosieRed
02-14-2007, 03:04 PM
If I'm in town whenever the gathering is, then you can count me in. :)

Heath
02-14-2007, 04:25 PM
If I'm in town whenever the gathering is, then you can count me in. :)

You know Rosie, maybe you could get one of the bands you like to play at the Summer Concert Series on the Plaza level. :D

Just an idea.

Chip R
02-14-2007, 04:33 PM
You know Rosie, maybe you could get one of the bands you like to play at the Summer Concert Series on the Plaza level. :D

Just an idea.

I'm sure they'd do it for her. ;)

RosieRed
02-14-2007, 05:45 PM
They are at my beck and call. :p:

letsgojunior
02-14-2007, 06:56 PM
If Puffy goes, I'll go.;)

I can only do it on a Saturday or Sunday though, so I'd have to fly in Saturday morning and leave Sunday evening.

Caveat Emperor
02-14-2007, 09:05 PM
Hmmm...to show my face in public, or not to show my face in public... :cool:

Maybe if I promise to let her wear my Matt Belisle jersey for an inning, we can get SB to fly in from Cali.

:evil:

creek14
02-17-2007, 04:14 PM
So after sending the Reds ticket people a couple emails, I think the Texas series is the way to go.

So the Saturday evening game on 16Jun is it.

I think if we get tickets NLT 15May, we should be okay.

At this early point, who thinks they might be in?

Mods - can you move this to the other board so everyone who wants to can respond? Thanks.