PDA

View Full Version : Funny Reds memories

PressBox
02-13-2007, 08:31 PM
I was talking about this to a friend the other day and I thought it might be a fun little pre-season posting to see what you all have to say. I don't think I've ever seen this discussed here....

What are some of your favorite, funny Reds memories? Maybe it was a play in a game, maybe something you overheard another fan say or saw a player do in-between innings when the cameras weren't rolling?

My personal favorite comes from a game I attended at Riverfront during the summer of 93 between the Reds and Rockies. My uncle and I were sitting in the CF green seats and a row of frat guys in front of us were heckling the heck out of Chris Jones, the Rockies CF. They teased him about everything from his arm to his bat to his uniform to the mess he made spitting sunflowers. I was laughing mildly because I had never seen live hecklers at a game before. I thought they only lived in NY, Boston, and Philly.

Their antics didn't get really funny until they had a few brews in them and then they were heckling anyone including the ushers and the aisle vendors. I remember there were two vendors each selling a different type of lemonade: one had soft-frozen pink lemonade and the other had ice cold fresh lemonade. Whenever the soft-frozen pink lemonade guy came around, the frat guys would ask him to send the ice cold fresh lemonade guy over to our section. And a few minutes later when the ice cold fresh lemonade guy arrived, the frat boys would ask him to send for the hot dog vendor. And then they'd ask the hot dog vendor to send for the cotton candy guy, who they then asked to send for the pink soft-frozen lemonade guy. When the pink soft-frozen lemonade guy came back they said, "Hey that ice cold fresh lemonade was real good. Could you send him back over here?" The guys only bought anything from the beer vendors, but they kept this musical vendor game going for the better part of five innings. It was hysterical. Of course, after about the sixth inning nobody else came hawking their wares in our section. I guess they finally caught on to the frat mischief.

The guys never said anything mean or hurtful to anyone, they were just having some innocent fun. They also probably knew they had a captive and impressionable audience, because they kept me laughing for the better part of three hours. I was laughing so hard I nearly peed my pants at one point.

Their taunting didn't get serious until Rob Dibble came on and surrendered a game-tying, three-run homerun to Dante Bichette in the ninth inning. But thankfully Joe Oliver's sac fly in the tenth won the game for the Reds!!! And as soon as the Reds won, every one of those frat guys turned around and gave me a high-five.

KittyDuran
02-13-2007, 09:02 PM
During his tenure with the Reds, Pete Harnisch would make "interesting" shapes out of the dugout towels during the games. Also, his reports on WEBN here in Cincinnati are still the best (and funniest).

redsrule2500
02-13-2007, 09:19 PM
Deion Sanders ball hitting in the head"??

Marc D
02-13-2007, 10:23 PM
Recently?

I think it was Brewers announcers a couple of years ago after a mamoth WMP homer off a fastball from their pitcher..."Appearently (pitcher x) hasn't seen the scouting report the rest of the NL has. WMP can hit the fastball just fine, its the curve he has trouble with " The guy said it as close to the way Harry Doyle would have as anything I've heard on TV. It was freaking hilarious.

Also, the early days of satellite were high times for hearing announcres during commercial break, used to hear some stuff thats completely unrepeatable in a family forum. Sad day when they figured out they had to be good.

Caveat Emperor
02-13-2007, 10:54 PM
Recently?

I think it was Brewers announcers a couple of years ago after a mamoth WMP homer off a fastball from their pitcher..."Appearently (pitcher x) hasn't seen the scouting report the rest of the NL has. WMP can hit the fastball just fine, its the curve he has trouble with " The guy said it as close to the way Harry Doyle would have as anything I've heard on TV. It was freaking hilarious.

Bob Uecker is the man.

Last summer I was listening to a Brewers/Reds game on XM and his only comment immediately following an Adam Dunn home run was: "Wow. When he hits 'em, they tend to stay hit."

Marc D
02-13-2007, 11:12 PM
Bob Uecker is the man.

Last summer I was listening to a Brewers/Reds game on XM and his only comment immediately following an Adam Dunn home run was: "Wow. When he hits 'em, they tend to stay hit."

It was actually their TV guy..the ex catcher I think. Regardless, it was one hell of a Uecker/Harry Doyle impersonation.

membengal
02-14-2007, 09:50 AM
I was one who found Tom Browning's sitting on the apartment roof watching the Reds/Cubs at Wrigley hysterical. I never did understand the heat he took for that.

Johnny Footstool
02-14-2007, 10:13 AM
The Paul O'Neill punt is an all-time classic.

chicoruiz
02-14-2007, 10:42 AM
Pitcher Mike Smith at a restaurant in spring training, ordering a salad and then adding, "And put some of those neutrons on it"...

MrCinatit
02-14-2007, 10:55 AM
Seeing Glenn Braggs breaking a bat on a checked swing in the '90 series was classic, especially his nonchalant look at the bat, kind of like it happened all the time. Seeing Stewarts look was classic as well - and I believe that was the moment the Reds really won the series.

Some time in the early '80s, I was watching a game between the Reds and the Astros. J.R. Richards was on the mound, dominating as usual.
A weak grounder was hit towards the mound, and J.R. started towards the ball - and tripped. On all fours, he attempted to crawl after the ball, but by that time, he was laughing so hard, he had no chance. Infield base hit.

Dom Heffner
02-14-2007, 10:59 AM
Terry Francona crawling to home. Hilarious.

Johnny Footstool
02-14-2007, 11:13 AM
I remember Eric Davis being interviewed prior to the '90 World Series. He had hit poorly in the NLCS, and reporters were asking him if Lou Pinella had discussed moving him out of the cleanup spot. Davis shook his head and said, "No, I'm the cleanup hitter. The conclusion is far gone." A reporter asked, "Do you mean 'foregone'?" David grinned kind of sheepishly and said, "Yeah, that's it."

Seeing Glenn Braggs breaking a bat on a checked swing in the '90 series was classic, especially his nonchalant look at the bat, kind of like it happened all the time. Seeing Stewarts look was classic as well - and I believe that was the moment the Reds really won the series.

Great moment, but the series was won in the first inning of Game 1. Davis' 2-run blast set the tone that the Reds weren't afraid of the mighty A's. At that point, to paraphrase Davis himself, "The conclusion was far gone."

Marc D
02-14-2007, 11:27 AM
I know its passe now but Lou's toss of 1B into RF was pretty damn funny at the time.

gm
02-14-2007, 12:21 PM
It was actually their TV guy..the ex catcher I think.

Bill Schroeder

http://milwaukee.brewers.mlb.com/team/broadcasters.jsp?c_id=mil

redsupport
02-14-2007, 12:27 PM
I enjoyed Elio Chacon scoring from third on a passed ball from Elston Howard

Cant Touch This
02-14-2007, 01:34 PM
I had the pleasure of sitting at a banquet table with Eric Davis and Eddie Milner in the Spring of 1985. At one point during dinner, Eric took his fork and smushed his nose to his face - making fun of Eddie's flat nose. In rebuttal, Eddie took two coffee mugs and placed them over his ears, taunting Eric's big ears. Major leaguers are kids too.

15fan
02-15-2007, 11:26 AM
The first time I saw Chris Sabo.

NJReds
02-15-2007, 12:07 PM
I was in high school and went to a Reds-Giants doubleheader at Candlestick. A couple of good memories.

I was sitting in the upperdeck seats above LF. In game one, I was watching Dave Parker at the bat through binoculars, and he hit a ball that sounded like thunder. The ball landed in the upperdeck right-centerfield seats. The longest HR I'd ever witnessed live. It was one of the longest in Candlestick, up there with some McCovey-Evans shots.

Later in the game, Pete Rose comes up to bat. Wind is really swirling in the late afternoon. Giants manager Roger Craig comes out of his dugout to waive in his outfielders (like a little league coach when the weakest hitter comes to bat). The CF (Chili Davis?) is ridiculously shallow. Rose hits one up into the jetstream that goes all the way to the wall...he does his patented head-first slide into third (which I think he started shortly after he rounded second) unnecessarily, there was no chance to get him. He gets up looking at Craig (and smiling). Reds win 7-3. They lost the nightcap, though, 3-1.

On another subject...I miss doubleheaders.

acredsfan
02-15-2007, 12:21 PM
How about when Adam Dunn's bat broke in his hands while he was swinging? I believe that was this year. It seems like it's been an eternity since the last baseball game. That was amazing, and funny at the same time.

texasdave
02-15-2007, 12:34 PM
Late in 1982 Brad 'the Animal' Lesley was pitching against the Astros. It was late in the game and he strikes out someone and goes into his routine - flexing his arms and yelling etc. The very next day Nolan Ryan is pitching for Houston and falls behind the Reds' leadoff hitter, Duane Walker, in the first inning 3 balls and no strikes. He comes back and strikes out Walker and immediately does a Brad Lesley imitation. Players on both teams were cracking up. Funny stuff.

Nolan Ryan giving noogies to Robin Ventura after Ventura charged the mound was also classic.

jonmurr
02-15-2007, 12:45 PM
I usually give short shrift to to the little human intrest thingies they put on the scoreboard, but last year during the final homestand vs. the Cubbies, they had Mercker asking some players about their childhood Halloween costumes. It was dull untill he asked Freel what he was and he stated " a princess". The look Merker had on his face was classic.

KittyDuran
02-15-2007, 01:32 PM
I usually give short shrift to to the little human intrest thingies they put on the scoreboard, but last year during the final homestand vs. the Cubbies, they had Mercker asking some players about their childhood Halloween costumes. It was dull untill he asked Freel what he was and he stated " a princess". The look Merker had on his face was classic.Here's my reports on Mercker's interviews:

http://www.redszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=51030&highlight=mercker+hot+seat

Roy Tucker
02-15-2007, 01:37 PM
Their taunting didn't get serious until Rob Dibble came on and surrendered a game-tying, three-run homerun to Dante Bichette in the ninth inning. But thankfully Joe Oliver's sac fly in the tenth won the game for the Reds!!!

I remember this game. I took my then-5 yr. old son to it. We had yellow seats.

When Bichette hit that homer, my son learned quite a few new words from dad.

BoydsOfSummer
02-15-2007, 02:07 PM

Some time in the early '80s, I was watching a game between the Reds and the Astros. J.R. Richards was on the mound, dominating as usual.
A weak grounder was hit towards the mound, and J.R. started towards the ball - and tripped. On all fours, he attempted to crawl after the ball, but by that time, he was laughing so hard, he had no chance. Infield base hit.

"What is going on here?...What is going on here?!"---Tim McCarver, after Braggs broke his bat

That was great.

cincrazy
02-15-2007, 02:45 PM
I remember when Pujols ripped Graves in the paper, pretty much saying every time that he came in, the Cards knew that they were going to come back and win. So funny, but so awfully sad at the time.

Highlifeman21
02-15-2007, 04:09 PM
I forget the year, but it was near the end of the Cinergy Field era, and we were playing Les Expos. Reggie Taylor had gotten on base, and had somehow gotten all the way to 3B during the course of the inning with only 1 out. A couple fans around me and Cyclone (I'm not sure if he remembers this game) had been ranting and raving about how fast Taylor was, that he was the fastest man in baseball, and might be the fastest Red ever, etc. Deep flyball to RF, and now it's Vlad Guerrero's arm vs. Reggie Taylor's feet. I remember the ball hit barely short of the warning track, Vlad comes up with that cannon on his right shoulder and Taylor's meat by almost 15 feet. Absolute laser beam of a throw.

As we got up to grab something to eat or drink since it was now end of the inning, I said to one of the guys "I guess Reggie Taylor isn't that fast."

Hap
02-15-2007, 04:33 PM
I remember back in 2003 during a game against the Pirates, Marty was shown on camera from his seat in the radio booth picking his nose and eating it. Someone (me) innocently started a thread (just for verification) asking if anyone else had seen it or if anyone was recording the game and could verify.

That particular thread quickly spun out of control (namecalling) and became one of the worst threads of the year.