PDA

View Full Version : Homer Bailey & Mario Soto

Redlegs
02-14-2007, 10:47 AM
From articles I've read about Homer, the only thing missing from his repertoire is a quality changeup. The Reds have a guy with one of the best changeups in baseball during his playing days in Mario Soto at the ready. I think Bailey is with the Reds by May or June, depending on the early performance of the 4th and/or 5th starters.

medford
02-14-2007, 11:28 AM
Any word on what Mario will be doing this year? He seemed to make a real impact on a couple of young kids last year. I never really heard much about him after his temporary stint in Louisville was up last year.

Superdude
02-14-2007, 12:10 PM
Bailey should be sharing a room with Soto this spring. I know Coffey, Milton, Ramirez, and Cueto all either improved or developed a changeup last year thanks to Soto.

bucksfan2
02-14-2007, 12:24 PM
Baily and Cueto should not leave Soto's side this spring. I wish the reds would use Soto more than just in spring training. It would be nice to see him work with prospects during the season as well.

tbball10
02-14-2007, 12:42 PM
Baily and Cueto should not leave Soto's side this spring. I wish the reds would use Soto more than just in spring training. It would be nice to see him work with prospects during the season as well.

yeah i dont understand why soto isnt around more either. hopefully bailey develops a change with the help of soto and has 2 above average secondary pitches to go with his dominant fastball.

where do you guys think cueto will start this year, A+ or AA?

camisadelgolf
02-14-2007, 01:27 PM
where do you guys think cueto will start this year, A+ or AA?

My guess is the DL. :doh:

jmac
02-14-2007, 02:55 PM
My guess is the DL. :doh:

What is wrong with Johnny ?

camisadelgolf
02-15-2007, 12:23 AM
Nothing yet. I just expect the worst and hope for the best. People say his frame and delivery have a pretty good chance of leading to injury down the road.

TeamSelig
02-15-2007, 12:27 AM
I'm pretty sure Soto didn't want to hang around all season because he wanted to be with his family. Not for sure, but I think I remember reading that.

icehole3
02-15-2007, 07:05 AM
Thats what I remember reading as well, he was in Louisville as pitching coach because Ruhle's cancer got worse, then Soto left the team because he missed his wife and family. He was only asked to come to spring training with the other former Reds (Foster, Davis, Browning, etc) by Castellini, did so well they wanted him to do more.

dougdirt
02-15-2007, 11:49 AM
I would say that Cueto is pegged to start in AA this year.

Topcat
02-16-2007, 05:44 AM
take your thumb and pointing finger and make a circle and throw your pitches like a fastball and whoopie you have a change up lol so I am told by ex oriole Scott Mcgregor who taught me and damn if that didn't do me well for sometime :D

dougdirt
02-16-2007, 10:40 AM
take your thumb and pointing finger and make a circle and throw your pitches like a fastball and whoopie you have a change up lol so I am told by ex oriole Scott Mcgregor who taught me and damn if that didn't do me well for sometime :D

Same way I always threw a change up.

gonelong
02-16-2007, 11:43 AM

Yup, the old "circle change". If you can throw it with the same motion (and it should be relatively easy for most to do that with this grip) you only have to worry about locating it.

GL

camisadelgolf
02-16-2007, 01:07 PM
I was a Little League All-Star, so I know what I'm talking about: Hold the baseball like you would hold a fastball. Put all your pressure on the middle finger, but just lay your index finger on the ball. Throw it just like you would a fastball.

BoydsOfSummer
02-18-2007, 02:51 PM
My fastball was a changeup.

dougdirt
02-18-2007, 02:53 PM
My fastball was a changeup.

So your change up was a grounder to the plate?

Nugget
02-20-2007, 02:52 AM
According to the official REDS spring training notebook Mario Soto is working fulltime for the REDS. So he will probably be there helping out Bailey with his changeup.

TeamSelig
02-22-2007, 03:33 PM
Question: Does Homer even throw a change up? I've heard alot about him getting that third pitch to help him be more successful, but does he even have a change up yet? I've heard about his mid/high 90s fastball, and nasty curve, but does he have a third pitch and it's just not very effective, or just hasn't developed one yet?

dougdirt
02-22-2007, 04:43 PM
Yes Homer has a change up. It is not a very good pitch right now. He needs to be more consistant with it and I have heard from 2 sources that he slows down his arm motion while throwing it. He has a lot of work to do with it, but apparently he worked on it in the offseason, so we will see how he has improved with it as we start to get reports.

Blue
02-22-2007, 10:18 PM
I was a Little League All-Star, so I know what I'm talking about: Hold the baseball like you would hold a fastball. Put all your pressure on the middle finger, but just lay your index finger on the ball. Throw it just like you would a fastball.

I threw one like that when I was tossing with a friend of mine today. I didn't tell him I was doing anything different, and after the first one I threw he said "Whoah, it looked like you were throwing that a lot harder than you did."

I guess you really do know what you are talking about.