PDA

View Full Version : Did Your Cable/Dish Go Out Last Night?

Sea Ray
02-14-2007, 02:31 PM
I have cable (TWC) in the greater Cincinnati area and it went out about 8pm last night (Tues Feb 13th) in the snow and ice, and today I've talked to several others who live in other parts of town that also lost their service last night. Mine is back now but from what I hear, I'm one of the lucky ones. Any of you with satellite dishes experience a problem? I'm wondering if, despite the rhetoric from the cable people about bad weather outages, whether they, cable, had more problems last night than the satellite folks.

So chime in folks. If you have satellite or cable, did you lose service last night?

NatiRedGals
02-14-2007, 02:39 PM
I also have Time Warner cable and i didnt lose internet or tv :)

gonelong
02-14-2007, 02:48 PM
I have had TWC in the Dayton area for roughly the last 10 years. To my knowledge I've never had an outage.

GL

KronoRed
02-14-2007, 03:15 PM
DirecTV here, everything fine

Only way it's going out is ice on the dish, I don't see any on it so I guess I'm safe :D

HotCorner
02-14-2007, 03:22 PM
DirecTV and had no problem.

Chip R
02-14-2007, 03:59 PM
DirecTV and had no problem.

Ditto.

UKFlounder
02-14-2007, 06:23 PM
Cable (Insight) and no problem (though I kind of wish it had gone out between 8 & 9, in hindsight, LOL)

reds1869
02-14-2007, 06:41 PM
TW Cable in Fairfield, no problems.

Yachtzee
02-14-2007, 06:41 PM
DirectTV - No Problem
TW-Road Runner Cable Internet - No outage, but definite speed issues, as downloads slowed to a crawl. Probably because everyone was cooped up at home surfing the net.

bengalsown
02-14-2007, 07:01 PM
DirecTV, brand new HD satellite, and no problems here.

Reds4Life
02-14-2007, 07:07 PM
No issues with Time Warner in the Green Township area.

Unassisted
02-14-2007, 10:24 PM
We had a dish at the Unassisted household for about 6 weeks. One of the main reasons it was only a part of our lives for about 6 weeks was that day the dish couldn't get a signal for several hours during a heavy snowfall. During the heavy snowfall there was little else to do but sit in the house and watch TV and neither Mrs. U nor I appreciated the dish putting a damper on our entertainment options.

NatiRedGals
02-14-2007, 10:29 PM
Even though i didnt have a problem my mom who only lives about 20 mins away hers went out!

TeamBoone
02-14-2007, 10:38 PM
I have cable (TWC) in the greater Cincinnati area and it went out about 8pm last night (Tues Feb 13th) in the snow and ice, and today I've talked to several others who live in other parts of town that also lost their service last night. Mine is back now but from what I hear, I'm one of the lucky ones. Any of you with satellite dishes experience a problem? I'm wondering if, despite the rhetoric from the cable people about bad weather outages, whether they, cable, had more problems last night than the satellite folks.

So chime in folks. If you have satellite or cable, did you lose service last night?

I guess I don't understand the problem, even if your cable did go out. The weather was/is terrible with all the ice. It was bound to have an impact in some areas.

Chip R
02-14-2007, 11:09 PM
I guess I don't understand the problem, even if your cable did go out. The weather was/is terrible with all the ice. It was bound to have an impact in some areas.

I think he was just taking a survey of people with a dish to see if they had more problems in this storm than people with cable did. One of cable's big selling points is that the cable doesn't go out during bad weather as much as it does with a dish. I think he was just curious if that was true.

Sea Ray
02-15-2007, 08:38 AM
We had a dish at the Unassisted household for about 6 weeks. One of the main reasons it was only a part of our lives for about 6 weeks was that day the dish couldn't get a signal for several hours during a heavy snowfall. During the heavy snowfall there was little else to do but sit in the house and watch TV and neither Mrs. U nor I appreciated the dish putting a damper on our entertainment options.

Heavy snowfall in San Antonio? It's been that kind of winter...

minus5
02-15-2007, 08:44 AM
Yeah, my stupid Dish evidently needed electricity to work. Sissy Dish Network.

Sea Ray
02-15-2007, 08:44 AM

I was comparing cable and satellite. I haven't heard of any satellite dishes going out yet. However I know of people in Anderson, on the east side of town, that still have no cable. This kind of makes the cable commercials look ridiculous. You know the ones...it's raining cats & dogs and the cable customer is dry and cozy watching his HBO while his satellite neighbor is on top of his roof screaming at his dish in a driving rain.

Sea Ray
02-15-2007, 08:45 AM
Even though i didnt have a problem my mom who only lives about 20 mins away hers went out!

What does your Mom have, a dish or cable?

Unassisted
02-15-2007, 09:10 AM
Heavy snowfall in San Antonio? It's been that kind of winter...

:laugh: No, this was a few years back when I had to suffer through winters that include snow in Wisconsin.

My kids did get two "ice days" off from school this year. Texas districts don't build bad weather days into the calendar, so those days will get made up from their scheduled school holidays.

Back to the topic: We probably get enough monsoon-like rain here to knock out reception on a dish for a few hours a couple of times a year. I have no love for my ever-increasing cable bill, but at least the cable company's product is dependable in bad weather.

reds1869
02-15-2007, 09:20 AM
I was comparing cable and satellite. I haven't heard of any satellite dishes going out yet. However I know of people in Anderson, on the east side of town, that still have no cable. This kind of makes the cable commercials look ridiculous. You know the ones...it's raining cats & dogs and the cable customer is dry and cozy watching his HBO while his satellite neighbor is on top of his roof screaming at his dish in a driving rain.

We've had both and can say we had way more trouble with our dish than we've ever had with cable. My parents have a dish and frequently lose reception due to weather.

minus5
02-15-2007, 09:55 AM
I've only had my Dish for about two years but have yet to have an outage....aside from us losing electric.

reds1869
02-15-2007, 12:37 PM
I've only had my Dish for about two years but have yet to have an outage....aside from us losing electric.

I'd be curious to see the breakdown of Dish vs. DirecTV customers when it comes to outages.

Sea Ray
02-15-2007, 02:33 PM
All right, today my cable is out...again. God knows why. I'd say a frozen branch fell on a line but our wires are underground.

The person I mentioned earlier from Andersom township on the east side finally got their cable back today.

reds1869
02-15-2007, 02:36 PM
All right, today my cable is out...again. God knows why. I'd say a frozen branch fell on a line but our wires are underground.

The person I mentioned earlier from Andersom township on the east side finally got their cable back today.

What part of town do you live in? Certain parts of town definitely seem to have more outages than others. We've never had any problems around here--hence the generally positive attitude of my family and neighbors towards TWC vs. the negative one of so many others.

Sea Ray
02-15-2007, 02:37 PM
Cable (Insight) and no problem (though I kind of wish it had gone out between 8 & 9, in hindsight, LOL)

That was a problem for me. I wanted to see my Big Orange roll. Brings back memories of when I was a student and we'd knock off Joe B. Hall with Mel Turpin and Sam Bowie in games played in Knoxville.

Sea Ray
02-15-2007, 02:39 PM
What part of town do you live in? Certain parts of town definitely seem to have more outages than others. We've never had any problems around here--hence the generally positive attitude of my family and neighbors towards TWC vs. the negative one of so many others.

Southwest Warren County, south of Kings Island. We have not experienced a lot of outages up to this point.

reds1869
02-15-2007, 03:04 PM
Southwest Warren County, south of Kings Island. We have not experienced a lot of outages up to this point.

Strange. Hopefully they get you taken care of and you stop having outages. My Road Runner has been painfully slow today, but I realize it could be worse.