PDA

View Full Version : Young to the Nats?

cincrazy
02-14-2007, 02:53 PM
According to espn.com's rumor central, the Detroit Free Press has reported that the Nationals are on the verge of signing Dmitri Young to a minor league deal. Is Bowden ever going to stop? Up next... Danny Graves and Jimmy Haynes, c'mon on down!

redsmetz
02-14-2007, 02:55 PM
According to espn.com's rumor central, the Detroit Free Press has reported that the Nationals are on the verge of signing Dmitri Young to a minor league deal. Is Bowden ever going to stop? Up next... Danny Graves and Jimmy Haynes, c'mon on down!

IIRC, Graves has signed with Colorado. Who knows where Jimmy Haynes is.

cincrazy
02-14-2007, 03:22 PM
Thanks for the update, I was wondering where Graves was. I'm sure that 85 mph flat sinker will do wonders in Coors. I still wonder what happened to that guy. Is it a coincidence that his downfall occured right after the starting experiment? If that is indeed the case, it's a shame.

Mainspark
02-14-2007, 04:34 PM
Dmitri Young, Batista agree to minor league deals with Nationals
By HOWARD FENDRICH, AP Sports Writer
February 14, 2007

VIERA, Fla. (AP) -- Former All-Star Dmitri Young agreed to a minor league contract with the Washington Nationals on Wednesday, getting another chance after the Detroit Tigers cut him last year following legal and substance problems.

Young was released in September, and later that month he was sentenced by a court in Michigan to a year's probation for assaulting his former girlfriend. Last summer, Young spent 30 days at a rehabilitation center for depression and alcohol abuse.

"He's a good kid that's made some mistakes, but he can hit," Nationals general manager Jim Bowden said.

The 33-year-old Young has a .289 career average with 154 homers and 599 RBIs over parts of 11 seasons with the St. Louis Cardinals, Cincinnati Reds and Tigers.

He batted .250 with seven homers and 23 RBIs in 48 games with Detroit last season. Young hasn't finished a season at .300 or higher since hitting .302 with 21 homers and 69 RBIs for the Reds in 2001, when Bowden was the team's GM.

"Dmitri Young has been through an awful lot personally over the last several years. He's been extremely apologetic for the mistakes he's made in his life. He has asked for a second chance in life," Bowden said. "He comes in knowing that the organization has zero tolerance on any incident whatsoever that may take place. If it does happen, he'll be released at that time. He understands that."

Young and former Montreal Expos third baseman Tony Batista, who also agreed to a minor league deal with Washington on Tuesday, were not invited to major league spring training. Instead, they will report next week to the team's minor league camp.

Batista was released by the Minnesota Twins in June after hitting .236 with five homers in 50 games last season.

Bowden referred to the players as "assets," saying they could wind up providing depth for Washington at first base (Young) or third base (Batista) -- and also could be dealt to another team for prospects.

"It's important to have pieces to trade," Bowden said.

paintmered
02-14-2007, 08:32 PM
Who knows where Jimmy Haynes is.

Chevy Chase?

fisch11
02-14-2007, 09:16 PM
The former Reds player campaign continues in Washington.

bottom_feeder
02-15-2007, 11:41 AM
We shouldn't laugh too hard. Afterall, we just signed Lightening Bug to a minor league deal.
We also have our own former drug addict (Hamilton) coming to camp.

Dimitri on a minor league contract is a good risk. I remember Dimitri being heavily "money motivated". If he sees his career about to end, he might straighten himself out.

I think Dimitri has a much greater chance of being a passable bench player than Hamilton does.

cincrazy
02-16-2007, 10:28 AM
True, although I don't think Dmitri would be coming off the bench in Washington. We have many options ahead of Hamilton, it's just a Hail Mary to see if we get something special. With Young, you know what you get, and sadly for Washington, that's better than almost anything they've got outside of Zimmerman and Johnson. I could see Young starting for them.

westofyou
02-16-2007, 10:30 AM
Stick a fork in that porkchop, it's done. Diminishing on base skills, diminishing power, a sub standard fielder.

Doc. Scott
02-16-2007, 10:40 AM
Stick a fork in that porkchop, it's done. Diminishing on base skills, diminishing power, a sub standard fielder.

That may be, but what a hilarious series about him at the Dugout:

http://dugout.progressiveboink.com/playerindex.html