PDA

View Full Version : College BB - Tourney Talk

Razor Shines
02-14-2007, 09:49 PM
I don't know how many college basketball fans there are on this board, but I figured it's starting to get close enough to talk about the end of the year conference tournaments and what teams need to do what to get in the "big dance". It might be too soon, but I'm already excited.

Is anybody going to any of the tournament games this year? A buddy and I got tickets for the second round of the NCAA tournament in San Antonio. Four days and all the games for 150 bucks. I hope we get some good games.

Duke struggled early tonight but it now looks like Coach K has got them playing together. Anybody think there is a chance they don't make the NCAA tournament?

George Anderson
02-14-2007, 10:15 PM
I really like the way IU is playing. I wasnt totally sold on Kelvin Sampson as the head coach but man I love the way he has the team playing. He has them playing hard nose defense with a type of energy on both ends of the court that has been missing badly the past few years. I am not sure how much noise IU will make in the tournament this year but if DJ White sticks around with Eric Gordon coming in, then I can see a serious run at a National Championship.

Tomorrows night game against Purdue should be good. Its nice to see a new bitter rivalry emerge with a quiet feud going on between Sampson and Painter. Purdue almost knocked off OSU last weekend but then again Penn State just almost knocked off OSU tonight. So its hard telling if OSU is the real deal or not. OSU has tons of talent but if they had their act together they wouldn't be playing Purdue and Penn State close .

Mutaman
02-14-2007, 10:45 PM
Tomorrows night game against Purdue should be good. Its nice to see a new bitter rivalry emerge with a quiet feud going on between Sampson and Painter. Purdue almost knocked off OSU last weekend but then again Penn State just almost knocked off OSU tonight. So its hard telling if OSU is the real deal or not. OSU has tons of talent but if they had their act together they wouldn't be playing Purdue and Penn State close .

1. What difference does it make how many points you win by on the road in the big 10 in February. I'm sure Indiana would have taken a close win in Iowa the other night.

2. Indiana's not going anywhere unless Sampson can figure out a way to cheat his way to victory. There are only two teams in the Big 10.

George Anderson
02-14-2007, 11:06 PM
1 yo.
What difference does it make how many pointsu win by on the road in the big 10 in February. I'm sure Indiana would have taken a close win in Iowa the other night.

If OSU is a championship caliber team they would not be barely beating an average Purdue team and a bad Penn State team regardless if the game is played on the road or not.

2. Indiana's not going anywhere unless Sampson can figure out a way to cheat his way to victory. There are only two teams in the Big 10.

An OSU fan is preaching to me about cheating??:laugh:

Well one of your "two teams" in the Big Ten played very poorly against two very average programs in the span of five days. I wouldnt make those Final Four arrangements just yet!!

Gainesville Red
02-14-2007, 11:15 PM
There's Florida.......................

...................and then there's everyone else.

BoydsOfSummer
02-14-2007, 11:20 PM
There's North Carolina.......................

There, thats better.

Playadlc
02-15-2007, 12:40 AM
1. What difference does it make how many points you win by on the road in the big 10 in February. I'm sure Indiana would have taken a close win in Iowa the other night.

I am pretty sure he was talking about next season.

And George is right, with Gordon and White (if he stays) next season, that is a Top 10 basketball team.

macro
02-15-2007, 01:08 AM
Well, Kentucky will enter the tournament with eleven losses and will be seeded 8th in one of the four regions...again! Then they'll lose their first or second round game. Man, this gets old! But as long as Barnhardt is happy with his basketball and football programs and their mediocrity, I guess that's all that matters.

Razor Shines
02-15-2007, 01:18 AM

2 teams really? I think IU beat Wisconsin. I wonder how he cheated to get that victory?

Mutaman
02-15-2007, 01:25 AM
[quote=Mutaman;1243240]

An OSU fan is preaching to me about cheating??:laugh:

Actually, I'm a Badger fan. Thats the school where the players have to actually have to go to class and pass exams.

Be that as it may, I really thought OSU would drop one or two on the road by now. Alando Tucker was talking earlier in the year about what a grind the Big Ten season was. He said that it would be very difficult for a young team like OSU to play well on the road through a gruelling big 10 season, no matter hjow talented they were. So the fact that OSU has gone unbeaten since the Wisconsin loss impresses me. I don't think the size of a win makes any difference under these circumstances.

Mutaman
02-15-2007, 01:34 AM
2 teams really? I think IU beat Wisconsin. I wonder how he cheated to get that victory?

They won on their home court just like a Big Ten team is supposed to do. And they followed it up by losing at Iowa which is something the Badgers and OSU didn't do. I was more impressed by the way OSU lost in Madison than by the way Indiana beat Wisconsin at home. Indeed, Indiana has been very mediocre on the road this year.

Also, bear in mind that Indiana got a hugh break in the schedule in that they only have to play Wisconsin and OSU once, and they don't have to play in Madison at all.

RedFanAlways1966
02-15-2007, 07:51 AM
I am a big OSU fan. However, I do not think they will get that far in the tourney. They are talented, but have trouble putting the ball in the hoop. I think we are seeing a repeat in Big-10 basketball as we saw in Big-10 football... a couple of good teams (Wisconsin & OSU) and a bunch of mediocre teams. The mediocre teams make the two good teams look great. When those good teams have to play a good team from another conference on a neutral court, I have to wonder if they can win.

IMO Wisconsin is superior to OSU and s/b ranked higher.

Roy Tucker
02-15-2007, 08:07 AM
That kid Durant from Texas is the real deal. I watched UT play the other night and was mightily impressed. Best player I've seen in college in many years and only a freshman.

Whoever has the #1 pick in the NBA draft will have a real dilemma between Durant and Oden.

Heath
02-15-2007, 08:40 AM
There's everyone else................................

..............................then there's Duke

Fixed it as well.

This year will be the first year that I will not be headed to the Opening round Game in Dayton. It's always cheap and the floor and atmosphere is the pretty good for a 64-65 game. Last year we sat near the Monmouth bench and my boys got high-fives from each of the guys coming through. That was the bomb to a 6 yr old and 4 yr old.

I always take a peek at the mid-majors and the local teams that might show up. Akron has a pretty good chance to win the MAC and get in. Wright State is one game away from clinching Home-Court advantage all throughout the Horizon League Playoffs. Xavier's on a roll. Dayton can play at home. Ohio State is obviously in. There could be at least 5 Ohio teams in the NCAA. Interestingly enough, there are first-second round games in Columbus and Lexington this year.

If I had to pick a couple of mid-majors, Santa Clara & Southern Illinois are pretty interesting. Vermont could surprise.

As a Dayton resident and UD fan, they need to win 20 to get to the NIT. I would laugh my head off if Wright State got to the NIT and got to go to UD Arena to face the Flyers. Dayton would be in an uproar.

dabvu2498
02-15-2007, 08:53 AM
There's everyone else................................

..............................then there's Duke

Insert Coach K/back problem joke here.

redsman12
02-15-2007, 09:07 AM
I'm a big Purdue fan. If Landry and Teague play like they usually do in Mackey, I believe Purdue can knock off the Hoosiers.

Johnny Footstool
02-15-2007, 09:50 AM
There's Florida.......................

Kansas' freshmen and sophomores gave the experienced Gators more than they could handle back in November. On a "neutral" court.

Johnny Footstool
02-15-2007, 09:53 AM
2. Indiana's not going anywhere unless Sampson can figure out a way to cheat his way to victory.

Exactly. Why do you think he was run out of Oklahoma on a rail?

DTCromer
02-15-2007, 09:56 AM
IU will be fine this year.

OSU will be upset in tourney as they're extremely overrated.

Wisconsin is a team no one wants to see in the tournament.

Durant should be the #1 pick in the draft no matter if Oden comes out or not.

ANd I'm still laughing at Mutaman who thinks a loss is more impressive than a win.

15fan
02-15-2007, 09:58 AM
If you're a college hoops fan, you need to attend the first round at some point in your life. 4 games in 1 day. It's a whale of a good time, even if you don't have any favorite teams playing.

Duke's team is a house of cards again this year. Put 'em on a neutral court with an officiating crew that isn't intimidated by Roach K, and they're beatable. Of course, it isn't fair to expect lofty things out of the team this year. They only have 6 McDonald's AAs on their roster.

Living in SEC country, I just hope that someone other than Florida wins. Sandwiching basketball titles around a football title would make life miserable.

DTCromer
02-15-2007, 10:03 AM
The first weekend of March Madness is the best week of the year in sports. . . .and it's not even close.

2nd best might be the 2nd week of the NFL playoffs or the 2nd round of March Madness.

Going to an NCAA tournament game is unbelievable. The intensity, the atmosphere, the fans,. . .everything is awesome. Just one of the best atmosphere's for any sports fan.

George Anderson
02-15-2007, 10:29 AM
Exactly. Why do you think he was run out of Oklahoma on a rail?

Well so far myself and throngs of Hoosier fans are awfully glad the rail ended up in Indiana.

George Anderson
02-15-2007, 10:35 AM
The first weekend of March Madness is the best week of the year in sports. . . .and it's not even close.

2nd best might be the 2nd week of the NFL playoffs or the 2nd round of March Madness.

Going to an NCAA tournament game is unbelievable. The intensity, the atmosphere, the fans,. . .everything is awesome. Just one of the best atmosphere's for any sports fan.

St. Patricks day generally falls on the opening round of the tourney which makes the whole experience all that more fun. I remember a few years ago Butler was the 16 seed and they took 1 seed Florida in to overtime. Nothing more fun than being in a crowd of hundreds of people all drinking green beer and cheering for a local favorite to pull off a major upset.

DTCromer
02-15-2007, 11:35 AM
St. Patricks day generally falls on the opening round of the tourney which makes the whole experience all that more fun. I remember a few years ago Butler was the 16 seed and they took 1 seed Florida in to overtime. Nothing more fun than being in a crowd of hundreds of people all drinking green beer and cheering for a local favorite to pull off a major upset.

I don't think Butler was a 16. . . I think they were a 12 or 13 and lost to them at the last second because Mike Miller made a last second shot. UF went on to to the championship game that year.

Razor Shines
02-15-2007, 11:45 AM
If you're a college hoops fan, you need to attend the first round at some point in your life. 4 games in 1 day. It's a whale of a good time, even if you don't have any favorite teams playing.

Duke's team is a house of cards again this year. Put 'em on a neutral court with an officiating crew that isn't intimidated by Roach K, and they're beatable. Of course, it isn't fair to expect lofty things out of the team this year. They only have 6 McDonald's AAs on their roster.

Living in SEC country, I just hope that someone other than Florida wins. Sandwiching basketball titles around a football title would make life miserable.

Why do you have to be so down on Krzyzewski? I don't understand why people hate him so much.

I do agree about going to the first round of the tournament though, that is a lot of fun.

Johnny Footstool
02-15-2007, 11:47 AM
Well so far myself and throngs of Hoosier fans are awfully glad the rail ended up in Indiana.

Sure. He's a good coach and will bring Indiana some measure of success. But it comes at a high price, as Oklahoma found out.

DTCromer
02-15-2007, 11:53 AM
Sure. He's a good coach and will bring Indiana some measure of success. But it comes at a high price, as Oklahoma found out.

The only difference between Kelvin and every other major DI football/basketball coach is that he got caught.

Razor Shines
02-15-2007, 11:56 AM

See that's why I was so against the hiring in the first place. The guy cheated, no denying it. And Indiana has never even had whispers of cheating before, whatever people say about Knight or even Davis they didn't cheat.
Sampson is a good coach, and I love the way he's got them playing defense again, I haven't seen IU players "run through" a pass in a while, but I still would have rather they hired someone who ran a clean program. I still wanted Johnny Dawkins from Duke, to be honest I would have been happy with Dane Fife from IPFW.

George Anderson
02-15-2007, 11:59 AM
The only difference between Kelvin and every other major DI football/basketball coach is that he got caught.

Sorry, but thats crazy.

Puffy
02-15-2007, 11:59 AM
Carolina is really pissing me off - but they beat Duke so that makes everything OK for now. But twice to Va Tech?? I now officially hate Virginia Tech. I will root for all ACC teams to make the NCAAs and root for them in the NCAA's (as long as its not against UNC) except for Duke (obviously) and now Virginia Tech.

And yes, Durant is the shiznit. Best college player since Melo. I don't think he can lead his team to the championship like Melo did, but that has more to do with Boeheim is a better coach than Barnes (this coming from someone who went to school in Syracuse in the late eighties and detested Jimmy B and thought he was overrated, but reluctantly I have begun to give him the props he's earned) and also because Melo had a better supporting cast, IMO.

Red Leader
02-15-2007, 12:13 PM
Teams I root for in NCAA basketball:

UNC
Kent
Michigan
Locals: UD / Wright St.

Doesn't look too good for me this year other than UNC.

Johnny Footstool
02-15-2007, 12:23 PM

If that's true, then it Kelvin must be pretty bad at cheating -- which is another knock on the guy.

bucksfan
02-15-2007, 12:32 PM
I can agree that the Buckeyes have been overrated all year. I thought it ridiculous to put a team so high, and above schools with more proven players returning. That said, they have not lost to anyone of dubious stature. The next time a close win does not count in any sport that I follow will be the 1st. They may go to sleep, lose focus( or whatever they did the 2nd half of the Penn St game!), but they still are a good team and will only improve. I don't expect them to go to the FF, but I think they will be very dangerous in a tournament setting also.

I love the 1st 2 rounds of the tournament like no other time in sports. Mixing in St. Patrick's day, spring training heating up, etc makes that a really fun time of year.

15fan
02-15-2007, 12:42 PM
Why do you have to be so down on Krzyzewski? I don't understand why people hate him so much.

If you've got an interest in another ACC team, it's maddening to watch the love that's shown by everyone for Duke 24/7/365. Including the zebras. Same stuff every year.

www.truthaboutduke.com Check it out some time.

All the talking heads gush about how classy K is. Have you ever read his lips on the sideline during a game? F this and F that. From the way he hung out Pete Gaudet in 1995 to Myron Piggie & Corey Maggette to Matt Christiansen's behavior at the end of the 2002 NCAA regionals to Dahntay Jones' behavior on the court to the jobs that Chris Duhon's mother and Carlos Boozer's dad mysteriously received in Durham to JJ Redick's wonderful 1on1 skills (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F9ww5sd21bY) to Josh McRoberts having his own set of rules when it comes to traveling (or not). (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-7DjZehIGvs). The entire Duke offense has been predicated on jacking up a lot of 3s for many years. Yet Duke always goes to the foul line more than their opponents. Doesn't that seem to be inconsistent?

People see it. People hear about it. But it's like the program is coated in Teflon.

The fact that K won't play any non-conference road games at an opponent's home court is also annoying. This year, they'll play their only non-conference road game on an opponent's home court on Feb 25th when they play St. John's in Madison Square Garden. Their other "road games" this year? vs. Air Force and Marquette in Kansas City, and Gonzaga in New York.

http://www.goduke.com/SportSelect.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=4200&KEY=&SPID=1845&SPSID=22726

Last year, they played at Temple and at Indiana. Their other road games were vs. Drexel & Memphis in NYC, vs. Texas in East Rutherford, and UNC Greensboro in the Greensboro Coliseum.

Go to page 13 of 22 in the Results section of the Duke media guide and count the number of true road games they've played in the past 5 years.

http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=4200&KEY=&ATCLID=695425&SPID=1845&SPSID=22748

Most importantly, though, it's the "crazies" in Cameron. They were funny and entertaining 15 years ago. But their schtick has more than run it's course. The Cheer Sheet fiasco a couple of years ago with Maryland is one of my favorite stories.

If a chasm in the earth opened and swallowed Coack K, Dick Vitale, and the mindless band of zombies that still buys how "classy" the entire program is, the world would be a better place, IMO.

George Anderson
02-15-2007, 12:51 PM
I can agree that the Buckeyes have been overrated all year. I thought it ridiculous to put a team so high, and above schools with more proven players returning. That said, they have not lost to anyone of dubious stature. The next time a close win does not count in any sport that I follow will be the 1st. They may go to sleep, lose focus( or whatever they did the 2nd half of the Penn St game!), but they still are a good team and will only improve. I don't expect them to go to the FF, but I think they will be very dangerous in a tournament setting also.

I love the 1st 2 rounds of the tournament like no other time in sports. Mixing in St. Patrick's day, spring training heating up, etc makes that a really fun time of year.

I like the Buckeyes alot to. Oden and Conley are from here in Indy so I follow them kinda close. A win is a win no matter against who but I think they need to focus on playing better because if they play the way they have the last two games I can see them getting knocked out very early in the tourney. Hopefully these two games will serve as wake up call to them.

Danny Serafini
02-15-2007, 01:41 PM
I just don't see the Buckeyes being consistent enough to run 6 straight in the tournament. There's no shame whatsoever in losing the games they did, but at some point they're going to have to beat a team like that. The upcoming game against Wisconsin will go a long way in determining if they've progressed to that level or not.

My other favorites are Syracuse, who needs to pick it up a little if they want to get in, and Toledo, who is feasting on the crappy west division in the MAC right now. No one is going at large in the MAC this year so the tournament is everything there.

MWM
02-15-2007, 02:12 PM
What did Sampson do to cheat?

dabvu2498
02-15-2007, 02:15 PM

Under Sampson's watch Oklahoma was placed under a three-year investigation by the NCAA for recruiting violations at the school. The NCAA issued a report citing more than 550 illegal calls made by Sampson and his staff to 17 different recruits. Oklahoma preemptively put itself on two years probation by reducing scholarships for two seasons.Sampson has also been criticized for a low graduation rate, but he maintains that the reporting methods are flawed for not taking transfers into account, or those who do not graduate in six years.

On May 25, 2006, the NCAA barred Sampson from recruiting off campus and making phone calls for one year, ending May 24, 2007. The NCAA placed no restrictions on Sampson text messaging recruits.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kelvin_Sampson

Razor Shines
02-15-2007, 02:19 PM
If you've got an interest in another ACC team, it's maddening to watch the love that's shown by everyone for Duke 24/7/365. Including the zebras. Same stuff every year.

www.truthaboutduke.com Check it out some time.

All the talking heads gush about how classy K is. Have you ever read his lips on the sideline during a game? F this and F that. From the way he hung out Pete Gaudet in 1995 to Myron Piggie & Corey Maggette to Matt Christiansen's behavior at the end of the 2002 NCAA regionals to Dahntay Jones' behavior on the court to the jobs that Chris Duhon's mother and Carlos Boozer's dad mysteriously received in Durham to JJ Redick's wonderful 1on1 skills (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F9ww5sd21bY) to Josh McRoberts having his own set of rules when it comes to traveling (or not). (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-7DjZehIGvs). The entire Duke offense has been predicated on jacking up a lot of 3s for many years. Yet Duke always goes to the foul line more than their opponents. Doesn't that seem to be inconsistent?

People see it. People hear about it. But it's like the program is coated in Teflon.

The fact that K won't play any non-conference road games at an opponent's home court is also annoying. This year, they'll play their only non-conference road game on an opponent's home court on Feb 25th when they play St. John's in Madison Square Garden. Their other "road games" this year? vs. Air Force and Marquette in Kansas City, and Gonzaga in New York.

http://www.goduke.com/SportSelect.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=4200&KEY=&SPID=1845&SPSID=22726

Last year, they played at Temple and at Indiana. Their other road games were vs. Drexel & Memphis in NYC, vs. Texas in East Rutherford, and UNC Greensboro in the Greensboro Coliseum.

Go to page 13 of 22 in the Results section of the Duke media guide and count the number of true road games they've played in the past 5 years.

http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=4200&KEY=&ATCLID=695425&SPID=1845&SPSID=22748

Most importantly, though, it's the "crazies" in Cameron. They were funny and entertaining 15 years ago. But their schtick has more than run it's course. The Cheer Sheet fiasco a couple of years ago with Maryland is one of my favorite stories.

If a chasm in the earth opened and swallowed Coack K, Dick Vitale, and the mindless band of zombies that still buys how "classy" the entire program is, the world would be a better place, IMO.

First off I don't really care how many "true" road non-conference games they've played in the last five years. Teams still seem to want to play them, and if they get to dictate the terms more than other teams because of their success then more power to them.

That website you gave was somewhat interesting, I thought there would be some hidden truth or something, when actually it was just a bunch of people ripping Duke with articles that anyone could find. I mean the one makes a case that Coach K is classy.

Duke opened 1994-95 with a 9-3 record before Krzyzewski left the team because of back surgery and exhaustion. Interim coach Pete Gaudet went 4-15 the rest of the way to cap a 13-18 finish.

Because those final 19 games went on Gaudet's record, a Krzyzewski-coached Duke team has never lost more than four straight.

"I should have been credited with all the losses," Krzyzewski said.
He readily admits those losses should have been his, and it says something about how good of a coach he is, 9-3 with 4-15 without.

That Youtube clip of Redick was just dumb. Do you know how many players use that off hand like that? He didn't swing it so much as he held it out, was it an offensive foul? Yes. Do things like that go un-noticed all the time? Yes. And I would argue that the Duke offense is more than just jacking up threes, but I really don't care about swaying your opinion on that.

What I do care about is questions of Krzyzewski's character and class. I know from first hand personal experience about his character. This is kind of a long story, but it's worth it in my opinion to maybe change some minds about the kind of person he is.

When I was in highschool I played basketball. During our senior year one of my best friends (also on the team) was diagnosed with cancer. He had to quit in the middle of the year and go through chemo, it was a tough thing to watch. He was a huge Duke basketball fan, his goal was to take his scholarship to a JuCo and play there a year or two then try to play at Duke. It was a long shot but he was a hard worker, but after the cancer obviously that dream was gone. Well after about a year the cancer seemed to have been gone and he graduated and about a year and a half after highschool he got married. Things seemed to be going well for him.

After about a year of marriage he went in for a routine check up and scan for cancer and the Dr. dropped a bombshell on him. The cancer was back and had spread to his lungs and brain. The Dr. gave him about six months to live. This was a hard time for me, but me and his other friends put on our brave faces and spent just about any free time we had with him. One of my friends had an idea to see if we could get Coach K's email and see if he would call or send Matt (friend with cancer) a message. So we got the email address and sent him and email telling him Matt's story and his love for Duke basketball it was during basketball season so we weren't expecting much. The last Duke game Matt watched, they lost and he took it hard. Well two days after we sent the email Coach K called, unfortunately he called in the afternoon and Matt had died that morning. We his wife and the rest of us got back from the hospital to their house the message was waiting, he had left his personal Cell #. After some debating of what to do we convinced her to call him back.

She spent the next hour and a half talking with him. I won't go into all that was said but it is probably immeasurable what it meant to her, it may sound cheesy and hallmark, but she cried and laughed with him. He did other things for her and Matt's family, but nothing was as important as talking with my friend's widow that day.

So I really don't care what website you produce to tear down the man's character, I know what kind of man he is.

Hoosier Red
02-15-2007, 02:21 PM
Clearly earth shattering stuff. He made too many phone calls.
I'm surprised he's even allowed to coach.
The guy broke the rules, got caught, apologized and moved on.
Seems to me he did okay before these infractions, and I think he'll be okay after the probations over.

In the mean time I'm not sure how anyone could dispute the results from his first season are overwhelmingly positive.

15fan
02-15-2007, 05:01 PM
Razor -

Clearly I've touched an emotional nerve. I'll leave the character discussion alone out of respect for your late friend and we can agree to disagree.

Here are the current stats for the Duke basketball team.

http://goduke.statsgeek.com/basketball-m/seasons/season-stats.php?season=2006-07

643-1363 from the field, including 148-395 from 3. Opponents are 573-1411 from the field, including 105-357 from 3. That means that Duke shoots 29% of their shots from outside the arc and 71% inside the arc, compared to their opponents taking 25% of their shots from outside the arc and 75% from inside the arc. Yet Duke is 374-542 from the free throw line, while their opponents are only 284-410 from the FT line.

Doesn't it seem counter-intuitive that a team that shoots a greater percentage of shots from outside the 3 point line has also shot 33% more FTs than their opponents? I'd think that the teams who shoot more 2 point FGs would be shooting more FTs.

Go back a year to 2005-2006.

http://goduke.statsgeek.com/basketball-m/seasons/season-stats.php?season=2005-06

Duke was 979-2011 from the field, including 274-707 from 3, compared to 952-2215 and 143-471 for their opponents. That's 35% 3s and 65% 2s for Duke, compared to 21% 3s and 79% 2s for the opposition. Yet Duke went 689-905 from the foul line, compared to 408-612 by their opponents. How does a team that shoots so many 3s also get to shoot 50% more FTs than their opponents?

It's the same thing every year. Pick a year from the database, and you'll notice the same pattern.

http://goduke.statsgeek.com/basketball-m/seasons/

And as far as his scheduling, I just think that if I routinely had 5, 6 or 7 high school all-americans on my roster, I wouldn't be afraid to go play a couple of true road games each year. I'd play UConn in Storrs, or Florida in Gainesville, or Texas in Austin, or UCLA at Pauley Pavilion, or Kentucky in Rupp Arena, or Kansas in Lawrence. But K won't even take his talent to play Marquette in Milwaukee.

Mutaman
02-15-2007, 05:34 PM
ANd I'm still laughing at Mutaman who thinks a loss is more impressive than a win.

Why is it so hard to understand the concept of homecourt advantage in college basketball? Its easily worth 10 points, particularly in Madison where Ryan never loses. I can guarantee you that despite beating OSU at home and losing to Indiana on the road, the Badgers would much rather play Indiana as opposed to OSU, on a neutral court in the Big 10 Tourney or in the NCAAs.

Razor Shines
02-15-2007, 06:03 PM
Razor -

Clearly I've touched an emotional nerve. I'll leave the character discussion alone out of respect for your late friend and we can agree to disagree.

Here are the current stats for the Duke basketball team.

http://goduke.statsgeek.com/basketball-m/seasons/season-stats.php?season=2006-07

643-1363 from the field, including 148-395 from 3. Opponents are 573-1411 from the field, including 105-357 from 3. That means that Duke shoots 29% of their shots from outside the arc and 71% inside the arc, compared to their opponents taking 25% of their shots from outside the arc and 75% from inside the arc. Yet Duke is 374-542 from the free throw line, while their opponents are only 284-410 from the FT line.

Doesn't it seem counter-intuitive that a team that shoots a greater percentage of shots from outside the 3 point line has also shot 33% more FTs than their opponents? I'd think that the teams who shoot more 2 point FGs would be shooting more FTs.

Go back a year to 2005-2006.

http://goduke.statsgeek.com/basketball-m/seasons/season-stats.php?season=2005-06

Duke was 979-2011 from the field, including 274-707 from 3, compared to 952-2215 and 143-471 for their opponents. That's 35% 3s and 65% 2s for Duke, compared to 21% 3s and 79% 2s for the opposition. Yet Duke went 689-905 from the foul line, compared to 408-612 by their opponents. How does a team that shoots so many 3s also get to shoot 50% more FTs than their opponents?

It's the same thing every year. Pick a year from the database, and you'll notice the same pattern.

http://goduke.statsgeek.com/basketball-m/seasons/

And as far as his scheduling, I just think that if I routinely had 5, 6 or 7 high school all-americans on my roster, I wouldn't be afraid to go play a couple of true road games each year. I'd play UConn in Storrs, or Florida in Gainesville, or Texas in Austin, or UCLA at Pauley Pavilion, or Kentucky in Rupp Arena, or Kansas in Lawrence. But K won't even take his talent to play Marquette in Milwaukee.

First of all it wasn't an emotional nerve, you said he's not classy and basically called me a mindless zombie for thinking that he is. I have first hand knowledge of his character and class, so I won't agree to disagree you're just wrong.

Ok so they shoot 4% more 3's this year than their opponents, wow that's a shocking difference. Last year and the year before they had one of the greatest 3 point shooters in college basketball history, seems like a good reason why they would have shot a lot more 3 pointers than other teams.

As far as the free throws go well they win a lot, and when they're up late in games teams usually foul intentionally. Ok so I looked up a few stats of my own UNC this year has taken 43% more free throws than their opponents and 25% of their shots are 3's, Florida takes 34% more free throws than their opponents and 32% of their shots are 3's. It seems like teams with winning records take more free throws than their opponents. These are the only two teams I checked though.
These stats are from http://northcarolina.rivals.com/bstats.asp?team=UNC

It seems like Duke is usually in games with a lot of fouls called both ways. UNC has had 304 fouls called against them and their opponents have had 414 fouls called against them. Duke has had 436 fouls called against them and 505 against their opponents.

Does Duke get some calls because of who they are? Yes. So do a lot of popular teams. So did Michael Jordan and Larry Bird and Majic Johnson and now Lebron James, I don't think they all got calls because of Krzyzewski though. I'm sorry I don't believe that there is a conspiracy.

Blimpie
02-15-2007, 06:04 PM
Does anybody else like Memphis to make some noise in the tourney?

Playadlc
02-15-2007, 06:25 PM

The charges were too many calls over a 4 year period to 17 recruits. 550 calls over 48 months is 11 calls each month - less than 1 illegal call per month per kid. As in "I called - the kid wasn't home - I called back". The NCAA - in its infinite stupidity and hypocrisy - calls that an "illegal" call.

Razor Shines
02-15-2007, 07:49 PM
The charges were too many calls over a 4 year period to 17 recruits. 550 calls over 48 months is 11 calls each month - less than 1 illegal call per month per kid. As in "I called - the kid wasn't home - I called back". The NCAA - in its infinite stupidity and hypocrisy - calls that an "illegal" call.

I am a Hoosier fan, and I think Sampson is a great coach. That said, a rule is a rule, even if it's a stupid one.

Gainesville Red
02-15-2007, 10:36 PM
Kansas' freshmen and sophomores gave the experienced Gators more than they could handle back in November. On a "neutral" court.

When Kansas beat Florida, in OT, Corey Brewer had mono and Joakim Noah had an upper respiratory infection. Corey Brewer was throwing up in a trash can in the locker room ten minutes before tip.

I hate to make excuses after a loss, and I know anything can happen in a single elimination tournament, but anyone who thinks Florida's not clearly the team to beat is clearly out of their minds.

15fan
02-15-2007, 10:38 PM
...so I won't agree to disagree you're just wrong.

Now I'm intrigued. Are you my mom, one of my sisters, my wife, my daughter, or my boss? ;)

Johnny Footstool
02-16-2007, 12:10 AM
When Kansas beat Florida, in OT, Corey Brewer had mono and Joakim Noah had an upper respiratory infection. Corey Brewer was throwing up in a trash can in the locker room ten minutes before tip.

I hate to make excuses after a loss, and I know anything can happen in a single elimination tournament, but anyone who thinks Florida's not clearly the team to beat is clearly out of their minds.

Oh, they're the team to beat, to be sure.

But Kansas proved they can beat them. And that was without any kind of meaningful contributions from Sherrod Collins or Sasha Kahn.

Razor Shines
02-16-2007, 12:52 AM
Now I'm intrigued. Are you my mom, one of my sisters, my wife, my daughter, or my boss? ;)

Yes that's what I said. You implied that I was in a mindless zombie for believing that Krzyzewski has class. I have first hand knowledge that he is a man of class and character, how does that make me a "mindless zombie". So when you said we agree to disagree, I'd have to agree that you think I am just mindlessly believing that he is classy or has character because Dick Vitale or ESPN told me to. I'm sorry that's not the case for me, maybe for some, but not me, I don't know what else to say.

guttle11
02-16-2007, 02:28 AM
Does anybody else like Memphis to make some noise in the tourney?

The first weekend. I question their ability to adapt and succeed playing different styles, and once you get to the Sweet 16 the longer arms and higher verticals don't mean a thing. Depending on the draw they may sneak back into the Elite 8, which is no small feat, but I don't see them having enough horses to make it to Atlanta.

gonelong
02-16-2007, 11:42 AM
As far as the free throws go well they win a lot, and when they're up late in games teams usually foul intentionally. Ok so I looked up a few stats of my own UNC this year has taken 43% more free throws than their opponents and 25% of their shots are 3's, Florida takes 34% more free throws than their opponents and 32% of their shots are 3's. It seems like teams with winning records take more free throws than their opponents. These are the only two teams I checked though.
These stats are from http://northcarolina.rivals.com/bstats.asp?team=UNC

Not to mention that these teams generally have superior athletes. Their competition is slower, etc. so it stands to reason they will commit more fouls than the superior team.

I have a few buddies that will be all PO'd about a game if the foul calls are lopsided. Well, if you have one team that has speed and drives the bucket and they are playing a slower team, I'd expect their to be a pretty good gap in the amount of fouls called on the teams.

GL

P.S. I wish the ground would open up and swallow DUKE and UNC.

Heath
02-16-2007, 01:37 PM
I think people have to watch out - there's not much of "George Mason"-type team out there. What could happen are known schools that don't have much basketball history could be playing for the big one.

I mean, it's not far-fetched to have a Florida-Ohio State-Texas A&M-Washington State final 4.

Or, a Wisconsin, Southern Illinois, Virignia Tech, Memphis final 4.

This year, like last year, is highly unpredictable.

Blimpie
02-17-2007, 11:03 AM

I hate to make excuses after a loss, and I know anything can happen in a single elimination tournament, but anyone who thinks Florida's not clearly the team to beat is clearly out of their minds.Don't get me wrong--I like Florida. But the only one who was throwing up the night they lost to Florida State was Billy Donovan.

guttle11
02-17-2007, 02:58 PM
Who's throwing up for Florida today?

Razor Shines
02-17-2007, 03:23 PM
Who's throwing up for Florida today?

I didn't get to see that game, did Florida give it away or did Vandy have the game of their lives? I notice that they shot 56% from the field and 10-22 from 3, so I'm leaning toward believing that Vandy played great.

KronoRed
02-17-2007, 03:32 PM
As a Florida fan I'm glad for the loss, a win streak would be more added pressure on a team trying to repeat.

Last year Florida 7-6 over the last 13 before winning the rest, losses in the right place can be good.

Mutaman
02-17-2007, 03:38 PM
Funny how a few days ago people were saying that Indiana could compete with the big two and Florida was unbeatable. The road is a great equalizer. Looks like Wisconsin at OSU could be #1 vs #2, although the Badgers have a tough one in East Lansing before then.

And, of course in the long run, Florida is still the team to beat.

Yachtzee
02-17-2007, 03:47 PM
Teams I root for in NCAA basketball:

UNC
Kent
Michigan
Locals: UD / Wright St.

Doesn't look too good for me this year other than UNC.

I think Kent still has a shot at 20 wins in what is supposed to be a rebuilding year. And of course there's the chance to win in the MAC tournament. However, if any MAC team is built to get beyond the first round, it's probably Akron. I just hope one of the subpar teams from the MAC West doesn't win the tournament.

Gainesville Red
02-17-2007, 03:53 PM
I may talk tough for Florida, and they are still the best team, but they've looked fat and happy over the last couple weeks. Giving up big leads or having to mount comebacks over and over again is dangerous.

A loss now isn't the worst thing to happen.

March will be fun.

By the way: Did anyone else see (Vandy Coach) Kevin Stallings slap Noah's hands when he tried to grab the ball from him? Weird.

Cedric
02-17-2007, 03:54 PM
I may talk tough for Florida, and they are still the best team, but they've looked fat and happy over the last couple weeks. Giving up big leads or having to mount comebacks over and over again is dangerous.

A loss now isn't the worst thing to happen.

March will be fun.

By the way: Did anyone else see (Vandy Coach) Kevin Stallings slap Noah's hands when he tried to grab the ball from him? Weird.

Noah has some mental issues. He's a great player, just a wacko.

Razor Shines
02-17-2007, 03:55 PM
Funny how a few days ago people were saying that Indiana could compete with the big two and Florida was unbeatable. The road is a great equalizer. Looks like Wisconsin at OSU could be #1 vs #2, although the Badgers have a tough one in East Lansing before then.

And, of course in the long run, Florida is still the team to beat.

I don't know if "people" were saying it, but I was saying that IU could compete with OSU and Wisc. And I still think they can, they played OSU close at OSU and beat Wisc. They have struggled on the road, no doubt, but it's Sampson's first year here and we'll see if he can't remedy that as they go along. But I think they have the talent to compete with both teams, we'll have to see if they can put it together. But as far as the Big 10 tourney goes I don't think it's a foregone conclusion that it will be Wisconsin and OSU I think on a neutral court IU will compete if they play either of them.
For sure Wisconsin, OSU and Florida are the top three teams in the country, all I'm saying is IU has the talent to go far in the NCAAs.

guttle11
02-17-2007, 04:18 PM
I didn't get to see that game, did Florida give it away or did Vandy have the game of their lives? I notice that they shot 56% from the field and 10-22 from 3, so I'm leaning toward believing that Vandy played great.

Neither, really. Although Florida was not at their best.

I saw a pretty good team who knows the only chance they have to make the tourney is to finish strong, and they played like it. Vandy got to all the loose balls and made all the hustle plays. They played with a controlled sense of urgency, and Florida did not.

thatcoolguy_22
02-17-2007, 05:56 PM
I don't know if "people" were saying it, but I was saying that IU could compete with OSU and Wisc. And I still think they can, they played OSU close at OSU and beat Wisc. They have struggled on the road, no doubt, but it's Sampson's first year here and we'll see if he can't remedy that as they go along. But I think they have the talent to compete with both teams, we'll have to see if they can put it together. But as far as the Big 10 tourney goes I don't think it's a foregone conclusion that it will be Wisconsin and OSU I think on a neutral court IU will compete if they play either of them.
For sure Wisconsin, OSU and Florida are the top three teams in the country, all I'm saying is IU has the talent to go far in the NCAAs.

With our defenseive capabilities and 3 point shooting prowess we can beat anyone on any given day. Its historically been tough for outside shooting teams to make a deep run in march though. We need White to step up big this tourney.

Razor Shines
02-17-2007, 06:28 PM
With our defenseive capabilities and 3 point shooting prowess we can beat anyone on any given day. Its historically been tough for outside shooting teams to make a deep run in march though. We need White to step up big this tourney.

Well they did it a few years ago with mainly a 3 point shooting team.

As far as today's game goes, I didn't realize Earl Calloway was injured and I don't know how long he's going to be out, but they're not going to beat anybody without him. IMO he's the most valuable player on that team. He runs that offense and he guards other teams PGs very well. I think we can with anyone else being out, even DJ, but not with Calloway being out. If this injury is long term or lingering IU's season is pretty much over.

On another note, that Butler - So Ill. game was fun to watch. That's the first time I've seen So. Ill. this season and they have some athletes on their team, Tatum and Falker. It was too bad A.J. Graves was sick and didn't play well for Butler he's fun to watch, I think he's a poor man's Steve Nash.

thatcoolguy_22
02-17-2007, 06:31 PM
Well they did it a few years ago with mainly a 3 point shooting team.

but we had jared jeffries with slashing capabilities and inside presence. It makes a world of difference...

Speaking of past players anyone ever hear what Coverdale is doing or Bracey Wright for that matter?

Razor Shines
02-17-2007, 06:37 PM
but we had jared jeffries with slashing capabilities and inside presence. It makes a world of difference...

Speaking of past players anyone ever hear what Coverdale is doing or Bracey Wright for that matter?

Last time I saw Coverdale was on a golf course and he was looking very out of shape, and by the amount of beer he was drinking he didn't seem too worried about it.

I don't know what Bracey is doing. He should not have left early, somebody was telling him that he was better than he actually was. He was under sized for a 2 guard in the NBA and wasn't quick enough and didn't handle the ball well enough to play point.

Danny Serafini
02-17-2007, 06:39 PM
On another note, that Butler - So Ill. game was fun to watch.

That was pretty entertaining stuff. It reminded me of an old school Big East game the way they beat the living crap out of each other. That was a really good game.

redsfanmia
02-17-2007, 07:31 PM
Last time I saw Coverdale was on a golf course and he was looking very out of shape, and by the amount of beer he was drinking he didn't seem too worried about it.

I don't know what Bracey is doing. He should not have left early, somebody was telling him that he was better than he actually was. He was under sized for a 2 guard in the NBA and wasn't quick enough and didn't handle the ball well enough to play point.

Bracey was with the Timberwolves not sure if he is still with them. I was so glad when he left IU. The key to the last final four IU team was Odle and Jefferies and they just seemed to get hot at the right time.

Mutaman
02-17-2007, 07:46 PM
I think on a neutral court IU will compete if they play either of them.

Considering in their last 4 road games IU has lost to Illinois, Iowa, Purdue, and now Michigan, I suggest Hoosier fans forget about competing with Alando and the big guys, and focus on beating Northwestern and trying to finish above .500 in the Big 10.

I realize an average team can get hot and win a game or two in March, but let's not get carried away.

Razor Shines
02-17-2007, 08:49 PM
Considering in their last 4 road games IU has lost to Illinois, Iowa, Purdue, and now Michigan, I suggest Hoosier fans forget about competing with Alando and the big guys, and focus on beating Northwestern and trying to finish above .500 in the Big 10.

I realize an average team can get hot and win a game or two in March, but let's not get carried away.

They already beat Alando and the Badgers. They'll finish 3rd in the big ten. Unless Earl Calloway's injury is serious then they may not beat anyone else besides Northwestern. They don't lose today if Earl Calloway is healthy and playing. You can call that making excuses or whatever, but he's the one guy they have to have to win.

Mutaman
02-17-2007, 08:59 PM
[QUOTE=Razor Shines 1B;1244727]They already beat Alando and the Badgers. QUOTE]

So did Missouri State. And on a neutral court. Nobody's perfect.

Hoosier Red
02-17-2007, 09:30 PM
There's no question at this point that there is Wisconsin and Ohio State and then everyone else.

It's more than frustrating to see the difference between home and road for this team(IU.)

But you know like they say in the SEC, they're paying the other team too.;)

Yachtzee
02-17-2007, 09:45 PM
For you MAC fans out there, big wins today in Bracketbuster matchups for Akron, beating Austin Peay, and Kent State, winning against George Mason.

Falls City Beer
02-17-2007, 11:13 PM
Pitino Redivivus.

Driving a big fat stake through the heart of the Big East.

Reds4Life
02-17-2007, 11:39 PM
Noah has some mental issues. He's a great player, just a wacko.

As someone who isn't a Florida fan, or has any emotional investment in the team, Noah is a punk. The way he acts during games is pathetic and he's going to get laid out by someone on the court one of these days.

dsmith421
02-18-2007, 12:12 AM
After moving west I bought season tickets to the local college basketball team.

Apparently they are pretty good. Impressive for a land-grant school.

Look out for the University of Nevada.

Danny Serafini
02-18-2007, 12:47 AM
For you MAC fans out there, big wins today in Bracketbuster matchups for Akron, beating Austin Peay, and Kent State, winning against George Mason.

George Mason isn't anywhere near what they were last year. That Akron win however will be a bit underrated, Austin Peay is a solid team. Just wish my UT Rockets would've put away Old Dominion. Guess it doesn't matter too much since they weren't going at large anyway, but it still would've been nice.

Yachtzee
02-18-2007, 01:31 AM
George Mason isn't anywhere near what they were last year. That Akron win however will be a bit underrated, Austin Peay is a solid team. Just wish my UT Rockets would've put away Old Dominion. Guess it doesn't matter too much since they weren't going at large anyway, but it still would've been nice.

I'll agree with you on that. I think I said it earlier in this thread that Akron looks pretty good. They should be the team to go this year. Beating Austin Peay is a quality win. Maybe it's not as impressive as it would have been last year, but Kent State did have to travel to VA for that one and seems to have come together somewhat in what was considered a rebuilding year. I think it's good experience for a young team.

OU is up on New Mexico State, 50-37.

guttle11
02-18-2007, 01:48 AM
OU is up on New Mexico State, 50-37.

Jeez, I change the channel for 5 minutes and it's 58-55. NMSU must be on fire right now.

Mutaman
02-18-2007, 02:54 AM
As someone who isn't a Florida fan, or has any emotional investment in the team, Noah is a punk. The way he acts during games is pathetic and he's going to get laid out by someone on the court one of these days.

Noah has played on the cocrete in the Holcombe Rucker tournement the past two years against (and in front of) some very nasty people. He gives as good as he gets, and he is fearless. I suspect after this kind of play on the outdoor courts, playing in a fieldhouse with professional refs and with rules that are enforced, is like milk and cookies.

Puffy
02-18-2007, 08:50 AM
For sure Wisconsin, OSU and Florida are the top three teams in the country

Ummmm, Carolina? 10 wins now over the top 40 of the RPI. No other team is even close to that stat.

Falls City Beer
02-18-2007, 10:24 AM
Ummmm, Carolina? 10 wins now over the top 40 of the RPI. No other team is even close to that stat.

And really, NC's two losses to VT aren't nearly the upsets some have framed them to be; VT is a very, very good unranked ballclub, one of the best in the country.

Yachtzee
02-18-2007, 11:46 AM
Jeez, I change the channel for 5 minutes and it's 58-55. NMSU must be on fire right now.

Unfortunately, not being able to play defense will do that to you. Looks like OU couldn't hold on.

Puffy
02-18-2007, 03:01 PM
And really, NC's two losses to VT aren't nearly the upsets some have framed them to be; VT is a very, very good unranked ballclub, one of the best in the country.

Actually they are ranked now. They are 24.

Mutaman
02-19-2007, 04:49 PM
Congradulations to Bo Ryan, Alando Tucker, and The Wisconsin Badgers. It may only last until tomorrow night in East Lansing, but as for now:

WE'RE # 1!!.

Falls City Beer
02-19-2007, 05:26 PM
Congrats to Pitino for turning a bunch of spare parts into something much greater than their sum.

MWM
02-19-2007, 06:03 PM
Congrats to Pitino for turning a bunch of spare parts into something much greater than their sum.

But uncongratulations for putting a team together of spare parts.

Falls City Beer
02-19-2007, 06:36 PM
But uncongratulations for putting a team together of spare parts.

Yeah, a few of them could become something, but it's a young team mostly; it's probably unfair to characterize Caracter as a "spare part"--more an unpolished gem. That they're in the top 20 at this point in the season is far more a testament to his coaching than it is to his difficulty recruiting. It's been an incredible resurgence.

KYRedsFan
02-19-2007, 09:53 PM
Yeah, a few of them could become something, but it's a young team mostly; it's probably unfair to characterize Caracter as a "spare part"--more an unpolished gem. That they're in the top 20 at this point in the season is far more a testament to his coaching than it is to his difficulty recruiting. It's been an incredible resurgence.

This freshman class is the most talent he's had since he arrived. Only really saw half of it most of the year though, and now that Clark and Caracter are giving solid minutes, and the rest of the team is healthy, you're finally seeing the team he hoped to have. Just gotta keep it going.

Caseyfan21
02-19-2007, 10:47 PM

I felt the same way about him last year...no emotional attachment to the team when they made their tournament run. I didn't even know his name, I just couldn't stand him and he was the sole reason I hoped UCLA would win the tournament last March over Florida.

Then this year I got the emotional attachment with the Bucks game and my dislike with his style got even worse. Seeing someone lay him out would be absolutely priceless (as long as he's ok, just a little ego bruising). Either that or seeing somebody yank him down by his hair. :laugh:

Sorry, but the one thing I cannot stand in sports is players that act like they've never been there before. Watching him make a basket and then run up the court waving his arms like he won the tournament is such a turn off to me and just strikes me as cocky and unnecessary. Sorry if I offended any Florida fans but this is certainly not a feeling that began when UF beat the Bucks, I felt this way about him last year when I hadn't really even followed UF at all.

Danny Serafini
02-20-2007, 09:27 AM
So, does anyone know when the last time #1 faced #1? That's the funky circumstance with OSU/Wisconsin Sunday.

Blimpie
02-20-2007, 08:29 PM
Noah has some mental issues. He's a great player, just a wacko.I'm thinking Bison Dele, Jr.

Razor Shines
02-20-2007, 09:07 PM
Just watched that MSU - Wisconsin game. How do you not get the ball to Tucker down the stretch? The guy is one of the best players in the country and he only got one or two shots in the last 5 minutes. That doesn't make any sense.

I'm no fan of MSU, but that Neitzel kid makes big shots. His shot looks a little odd, but he makes it when it counts the most.

Hoosier Red
02-20-2007, 09:39 PM
I turned on the MSU-Wisconsin game with a little over 5 minutes to go and proceeded to see Wisconsin miss every FG attempt for a little over 4 minutes.

Is it too much to ask for the #1 team in the country to make one basket every 3 minutes or so?

Wow. Also the two shots Niezel hit to put MSU up 53-51 and 56-51 were unbelievably lucky. I guess that's what happens when you're playing at home though.

Razor Shines
02-21-2007, 01:10 AM
I turned on the MSU-Wisconsin game with a little over 5 minutes to go and proceeded to see Wisconsin miss every FG attempt for a little over 4 minutes.

Is it too much to ask for the #1 team in the country to make one basket every 3 minutes or so?

Wow. Also the two shots Niezel hit to put MSU up 53-51 and 56-51 were unbelievably lucky. I guess that's what happens when you're playing at home though.

I don't think you can call them lucky. I have seen a few of MSU's other games this year and I've seen him make shots like that at the end of games.

Hoosier Red
02-21-2007, 08:56 AM
The ball hit the rim then the backboard spun in the cylinder back out, hit the backboard and then in.

Maybe he has a soft touch.

Glad to see we're playing MSU at the top of their game. I'd hate for IU to actually get somebody who isn't playing well.

dabvu2498
02-21-2007, 09:06 AM
9-41 for West Virginia from behind the arc last night. wowser

Blimpie
02-21-2007, 06:10 PM
9-41 for West Virginia from behind the arc last night. wowserThat is insanity...

Heath
02-21-2007, 06:23 PM
9-41 for West Virginia from behind the arc last night. wowser

Did they win??? ;)

dabvu2498
02-22-2007, 08:50 AM
Did they win??? ;)

If they had gone 10-41 they would have gone to overtime, where they would have shot 11 more 3's.

Danny Serafini
02-27-2007, 09:50 AM
At 7:00 tonight it will officially be tournament time! The Big South and Ohio Valley quarterfinals are tonight, along with first round action in the Horizon. Nothing too big tonight, Winthrop is the highest rated team in action, but it's starting.

And how about the 'Cuse putting a beating on Georgetown last night? Somewhere Doug Gottlieb is still crying over that one.

Gainesville Red
02-27-2007, 11:55 PM
Florida is officially in trouble.

AccordinglyReds
02-28-2007, 12:02 AM
I have tickets for the Lexington regional. First and Second Round. :)

Hoping Louisville or Arizona will be there. That would make me so happy! :thumbup:

KronoRed
02-28-2007, 01:00 AM
Florida is officially in trouble.

It's troubling but remember last year, lost 6 of the last 13 before the tourneys got started :)

Gainesville Red
02-28-2007, 01:24 AM
It's troubling but remember last year, lost 6 of the last 13 before the tourneys got started :)

I remember. But also remember how typical Donovan/Florida seasons go. Last year was great, and I think this year can be the same, don't get me wrong.

How many times have Florida teams looked unstoppable early and in the middle of the season only to stumble into a second round upset? Ask Temple or Manhatten, they probably remember.

They look worse at this point than they did last year. They are lacking the intangible "togetherness and toughness" right now.

I'm not saying that's going to happen. This team's better than those of the past, but it's a possility if they don't pull it together. Fast.

By the way, Krono, not sure if you've heard about this, we're having a minor problem with a "off the record" Donovan/Vitale conversation that has been released to the public via radio waves.

Check out the link...................http://www.gatorsports.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070227/GATORS02/70227022

UK Sunday.

Razor Shines
03-02-2007, 12:30 AM

Ok well I was probably wrong about Wisconsin and Florida, but I don't think UNC is one of the top three teams in the country either. Memphis and Texas are looking very strong. And I believe in Acie Law IV, that shot he hit over Durant at the end of regulation last night was unbelievable.

guttle11
03-02-2007, 01:41 AM
I can describe this college basketball season in one sentence.

Virginia will likely win the ACC regular season title outright.

Danny Serafini
03-02-2007, 09:58 AM
Congratulations to my Toledo Rockets for clinching a share of their first MAC title in 26 years. A win over sub .500 Central Michigan or a Kent St. loss gives them the #1 seed and at worst an automatic spot in the NIT.

Big game in the Ivy tonight. A Penn win over Yale locks up the league title and makes Penn the first team in this year's field of 65. They're still in control with a loss, but it would leave more work to do.

We've got our first shot at a crazy team worming its way into the NCAAs, as VMI, #6 seed in the Big South, has played its way into the conference title game. They'll likely get whacked by Winthrop, but if nothing else the game should be fun to watch. As of last week VMI led the nation in scoring offense at 102.7 ppg, and was last in the nation in scoring defense at 99.9 ppg.