PDA

View Full Version : Hot Stove League show report

Chip R
02-14-2007, 10:51 PM
Here is the Reds Hot Stove League show report for 2-14-07. Marty is doing the show from Sarasota from now till the end of Spring Training. Marty said that ST begins on Saturday morning when pitchers and catchers report. (They are reporting in the morning so the bullpen can get to Dennys for the Early Bird Special.) Marty said a few players like Freel, Milton, and Hamilton come in early to work out on their own.

After commercial, the first caller asked Marty about the Kerry Ligtenberg signing and how it related to the possible signing of Dustin Hermanson. Marty said he talked to Wayne and he said that Hermanson didn't throw as hard as he will once he gets on a regular throwing schedule. Marty thinks he could help but other clubs are in the mix too. Marty said he's more concerned about the rotation than the bullpen and while he's of the opinion that there should just be one closer, sometimes you have to do it by committee. He said that he has to be sold on Milton and Lohse and he's not impressed with either one. He thinks the trump card could be Homer - maybe not at the beginning of the season but possibly later on.

The next caller asked Marty how he prepares for the season. Marty said he worries every year that before the first ST game he won't be able to do it any more. He also said it takes him about 5 games to get ready for the season. The caller asked him what he does when the season starts. Marty said that they do a lot of that in ST and the internet helps a great deal as far as getting information on other teams.

After commercial, the next caller asked Marty what he expected out of Josh Hamilton. Marty thinks he will make the team for sure because of his potential. He thinks that once they get into the season and they see enough of an improvement to justify him staying here, then the situation takes care of itself.
If he doesn't show improvement, then they have a decision to make. He believes he's ready to play in the big leagues defensively but he takes a dim view of a guy who has hardly played above A ball and has lost time due to injury and suspension being able to hit big league pitching. The caller asked if the Reds hope Dunn plays well enough to be traded and Hamilton can step into his spot. (I'm not making this up, folks) Marty said he didn't know but he'd be interested in it because Dunn could leave here and the Reds wouldn't get anything for him except a draft pick. He said to not put a lot of stock to how Hamilton hits in ST cause a lot of guys have hit well in ST and couldn't do the job once they went north. The caller said he likes Weather and Santon but asked why they make Coffey the closer in ST and if he struggles, you have the old farts. Marty said they will give Coffey a chance.

The next caller said DeWayne Wise was a perfect example of how a guy hits in ST but can't hit once the season starts. Marty agreed and the caller said that you can't help to pull for Hamilton and he might be able to be the RF since the only options they have are a committee. Marty said they may put Jr. in RF too. The caller said you won't be able to get any more than 80-90 games from Freel (or 132). He said you have Conine in there and Deno and asked Marty what he thought of Deno's chances. Marty said he thinks Deno has to play well in ST to make the team. Marty said Hopper looked impressive too last year.

The next caller asked why are the Reds bringing a guy like Hamilton in with his lack of experience but they are so timid with Homer and also wonders if the Reds are getting problem players in here like the Bengals have. (Yes, I'm sure the Reds are wanting to emulate the Bengals in that way. Where do they find these people at?) Marty said that Homer is 20 and Hamilton is 26. Hamilton is on the fast track and they can afford to take their time with Homer because they don't want to do anything to hurt his chances. He said this is Hamilton's last chance and he doesn't have a problem with him. He said it doesn't mean they are going to start getting problem players and just because they signed Hamilton doesn't mean a pattern is developing. Marty said his hat's off to him because of how he has overcome his problems and he'd like nothing better than to see Hamilton come in and make the team on merit.

After commercial, the next caller asked when WLW was going to broadcast Sportstalk from Sarasota Marty said that Seg said it it's going to be the 3rd week in March.

The next caller said that Ryan Freel can't play every day cause he's accident prone. (Yeah, he's a real klutz) She said they don't make contact with runners in scoring position, there is no speed, they make too any errors and they can't bunt. She said they have a lot of problems they hae to work on. Marty agreed and said that is what ST is about. The caller said that Dunn isn't playing baseball, he's playing golf. Marty said that Dunn hardly plays golf during the season. She said that what she meant was that he hits long shots instead of knocking runs in. Marty said that Dunn either strikes out, hits a homer or walks. The caller agreed and said she wished that the Reds could have a player like Juan Pierre who can run and he is a good leadoff hitter. Marty said he's there and not here. (gO rEdz!)

The next caller asked if Castro and Clayton were still on the team. Marty said Castro is here and Clayton isn't. The caller also wanted to know who are the 3rd and 4th starters (I can tell this guy really pays attention) Marty said they are Milton and Lohse. The caller said that is what he was afraid of. :lol: Marty said if all things were equal there would be competition for 3 or the 5 rotation spots.

After commercial, the next caller asked if Marty was surprised that the Reds didn't bring another LH OFer in to back Freel up like Burnitz or (here it comes) Steve Finley. Marty said that there doesn't seem to be a lot of interest in Finley and he's surprised by that but Marty thinks he can play because Thom said so. (I thought it was nice that Marty professed his man-love for Finley on Valentine's Day). Marty said just because he is over 40 doesn't mean he can't play and that one bad year was a fluke.

The next caller asked Marty's opinion of the Ligtenberg signing. Marty said he assumes he's healthy (a pretty large assumption, knowing Wayne's history) and he was effective for a while in the big leagues. He thinks it can't hurt to take a look at him. The caller said he was reading the opinions on RedsZone about the signing and mentioned that he's a hard thrower. Marty asked if that boob Pedro was still on there (Just kidding :lol: ) Marty reiterated that it can't hurt to take a look at him and sometimes you take a shot with a guy like that and you are pleasantly surprised.

After commercial, the next caller said that the Reds should have Jim Maloney and Jim O'Toole as pitching coaches he said he thinks they could still help out some. (They would fit right in with the bullpen) Marty said they were winners.

The next caller asked about Joe and Marty said he was doing fine. The caller asked about Steve and Marty said he didn't get the Milwaukee or S.D. gigs. The caller asked about O'Toole's health and Marty said he hadn't heard anything more than he did last week.

Thus endeth the Banana phone - I mean the Reds Hot Stove League show report for 2-14-07. So let it be written. So let it be done.

KronoRed
02-14-2007, 10:54 PM
Good lord :lol: :lol:

Thanks Chip :)

thatcoolguy_22
02-14-2007, 10:56 PM
the guy that mentioned redszone was none other than reds1966 himself. I was chatting with him after he called...

HumnHilghtFreel
02-14-2007, 11:10 PM
Good to see some Redszone love hitting the airwaves. And thanks again for the post, Chip.

pedro
02-14-2007, 11:22 PM
:lol:

TeamBoone
02-15-2007, 12:33 AM
The caller said that Dunn isn't playing baseball, he's playing golf. Marty said that Dunn hardly plays golf during the season. She said that what she meant was that he hits long shots instead of knocking runs in. Marty said that Dunn either strikes out, hits a homer or walks.

Is that so???? Isn't it funny that he led the team in RBI and runs scored in 2006? And the year before too if I remember correctly (RBI at least, not sure about the other).

reds44
02-15-2007, 01:13 AM
I'm glad I can't listen to that show. Lord knows I would if I could, and I would probably break my radio.

larks
02-15-2007, 01:49 AM
How many weeks in a row is Marty going to schill for Steve Finley? I love Marty but thank goodness he isnt the GM.

Ron Madden
02-15-2007, 03:30 AM
So, "The World According To Marty" goes something like this...

Like this time last year, Marty likes the bull pen.

Jeff Conine is a bargain, he is after all a "Young 40".

Steve Finley is still good. He just had a bad year.

Chris Denorfia must have a great Spring to make the Team.. but Spring Training numbers don't mean anything.

Adam Dunn sucks and will never amount to anything.

OK

Thanks Chip :beerme:

Ron Madden
02-15-2007, 03:40 AM
I'm glad I can't listen to that show. Lord knows I would if I could, and I would probably break my radio.

Reds44, you can listen to the show on Reds.com.

It may be painful but not near as torturous as reading the Fan Forum there.

Ltlabner
02-15-2007, 08:13 AM
. Marty said that there doesn't seem to be a lot of interest in Finley and he's surprised by that but Marty thinks he can play because Thom said so. (I thought it was nice that Marty professed his man-love for Finley on Valentine's Day). Marty said just because he is over 40 doesn't mean he can't play and that one bad year was a fluke.

I'm just glad this esteemed board never has bizzare man-love for anyone. Cough *Toma Ohka* cough *Ted Lilly* I mean, that would be downright horrible if we ever did anything like that. Cough *Jack Wilson*

:p:

Newman4
02-15-2007, 09:13 AM
Marty and some callers (besides reds1966) sometimes have difficulty distiniguishing between these two:

http://www.myworldfarm.com/images/BlackCherryReara.jpg

and

http://www.romanglassmakers.co.uk/furnace5/tank001.jpg

Heath
02-15-2007, 09:18 AM
I'm just glad this esteemed board never has bizzare man-love for anyone. Cough *Toma Ohka* cough *Ted Lilly* I mean, that would be downright horrible if we ever did anything like that. Cough *Jack Wilson*

:p:

that's Cough *Craig Wilson*

Don't forget Batting Average is the prowess of hitting!!
:D

redsfan1966
02-15-2007, 09:22 AM
thanks for the shoutout--thatcoolguy 22; but not wanting to brag (what the heck) it was I--redsfan1966-- who did the redszone mention to marty on the HSL--figured since old Marty said lines were open; I would give him a call. Thanks again for the rundown, Chip R. Also just would like anyone who may care that we will be chatting again in the Redszone chat room during the HSL next Wednesday at 6pm...Thanks!

BRM
02-15-2007, 10:25 AM
Marty said he thinks Deno has to play well in ST to make the team.

I hope Jerry and Wayne don't share this opinion. Deno has more than proven that he belongs on the 25 man roster.

BRM
02-15-2007, 10:26 AM
that's Cough *Craig Wilson*

Don't forget Batting Average is the prowess of hitting!!
:D

Not just batting average, it's BARISP.

gonelong
02-15-2007, 10:32 AM
After commercial, the next caller asked if Marty was surprised that the Reds didn't bring another LH OFer in to back Freel up like Burnitz or (here it comes) Steve Finley.

:laugh:

Thanks for the recap.

GL

westofyou
02-15-2007, 10:32 AM
Dear Marty, it's called three true outcomes.

This is the type of thing that drives Marty crazy when he's not thinking about ACC Basketball.

Do Nothing Batters

Sabermetrics teaches us that patience is a virtue for a batter, but it is still the threat of swinging away that drives the confrontation. Should batters who manage to go the entire plate appearance without even attempting a swing once (other than intentional walks, for obvious reasons) even bother bringing a bat up with them?

Batters with the most PA completed without attempting to swing at a pitch (excluding IBB):

NAME PA_NOSWING
----------------- ----------
Jason Giambi 71
Brian Giles 71
Bobby Abreu 70
Nick Johnson 61
Kevin Youkilis 59
Felipe Lopez 58
Adam Dunn 56
Carlos Beltran 55
Pat Burrell 54
Nick Swisher 52
Eric Chavez 51
Scott Hatteberg 50
Jason Bay 50
Travis Hafner 50

Chip R
02-15-2007, 10:41 AM
Dear Marty, it's called three true outcomes.

Dear WOY,

Talk to the hand.

Love,
Marty

Red Leader
02-15-2007, 10:47 AM
woy,
Those guys all suck. ;)

Swing the bat, Judy.

redsfan1966
02-15-2007, 10:56 AM
BRM--

I agree with you...deno deserves a spot...imagine how he would feel if Hamilton gets a spot and he gets another ticket to Louisville

RichRed
02-15-2007, 11:00 AM
Awesome post, woy.

I'm with Marty though, all those BBs and HRs are annoying, what with all the pesky run scoring that happens as a result. Who needs that? :p:

BRM
02-15-2007, 11:00 AM
BRM--

I agree with you...deno deserves a spot...imagine how he would feel if Hamilton gets a spot and he gets another ticket to Louisville

There is no way there are 25 guys better than Deno in big league camp. I can't imagine him not making the roster as at least the 4th outfielder.

shredda2000
02-15-2007, 12:39 PM
There is no way there are 25 guys better than Deno in big league camp. I can't imagine him not making the roster as at least the 4th outfielder.

IMO, he should be the starting centerfielder...

BRM
02-15-2007, 12:39 PM
IMO, he should be the starting centerfielder...

I agree 100%.

Heath
02-15-2007, 12:41 PM
Dear WOY,

Talk to the hand.

Love,
Marty

Dear Marty,

Talk to the finger.

Love,
woy.

Heath
02-15-2007, 12:45 PM
BRM--

5 OF-Dunn-JR-Deno-Freel-Hamilton
6 IF -EdE-Gonzo-Phillips-Conine-Hatteburg-Castro
2 C - Ross-Valentin
12 pitchers - Arroyo-Harang-Milton-and the rest-

That's 25 in Jerry Narron math. That's the only way he can keep Hamilton.

I know there's a fetish for 3 catchers. Only way possible is to go to 11 pitchers.

BRM
02-15-2007, 12:47 PM
I know there's a fetish for 3 catchers. Only way possible is to go to 11 pitchers.

Or he can drop Hamilton or Deno to make room for Moeller.

paintmered
02-15-2007, 12:48 PM
5 OF-Dunn-JR-Deno-Freel-Hamilton
6 IF -EdE-Gonzo-Phillips-Conine-Hatteburg-Castro
2 C - Ross-Valentin
12 pitchers - Arroyo-Harang-Milton-and the rest-

That's 25 in Jerry Narron math. That's the only way he can keep Hamilton.

That's the way I want to see it happen. But I just get this sickening feeling that we're going to see Chad Moeller travel north while DenO gets the bus ride to Louisville.

BRM
02-15-2007, 12:51 PM
That's the way I want to see it happen. But I just get this sickening feeling that we're going to see Chad Moeller travel north while DenO gets the bus ride to Louisville.

Hamilton AND Moeller over Deno? The Reds can't be that stupid. Can they? Really?

paintmered
02-15-2007, 12:53 PM
Hamilton AND Moeller over Deno?

Hamilton and Moeller know how to play the game the right way.

Chip R
02-15-2007, 01:09 PM

That won't happen. Deno will get to LOU by plane. :evil:

KronoRed
02-15-2007, 02:06 PM
I hope Jerry and Wayne don't share this opinion. Deno has more than proven that he belongs on the 25 man roster.

He's no Steve Finley ;)

BRM
02-15-2007, 02:08 PM
He's no Steve Finley ;)

That's for sure. Finley still has a LOT of game left. That's what I hear anyway.

KronoRed
02-15-2007, 02:10 PM
..and a young body :help:

BRM
02-15-2007, 02:14 PM
..and a young body :help:

Finley and Conine are "young" 40 year olds.

LoganBuck
02-15-2007, 02:30 PM
I listened as usual as well, I don't know how Chip is able to write all this out, because I get worked up at the stupidity. The bunting thing really got me. The Reds don't have enough guys that can bunt. There are only two Reds other than pitchers that should be bunting, being Freel and Phillips, and only to bunt for a hit.

I can't stand the Finley man love.

Heath
02-15-2007, 04:22 PM
Bunting is over-rated.

Especially when it can score runs.

Ltlabner
02-15-2007, 05:44 PM

:help:

Matt700wlw
02-15-2007, 05:49 PM
It is an entertaining show, isn't it?

westofyou
02-15-2007, 05:54 PM

On par with Mama's Family from what I can gather.

Ltlabner
02-15-2007, 06:15 PM
On par with Mama's Family from what I can gather.

As much as I love Marty, he's got nothing on Matt700wlw's good buddy Willie.

westofyou
02-15-2007, 06:18 PM
As much as I love Marty, he's got nothing on Matt700wlw's good buddy Willie.

Yeah Cunningham is to radio what this guy was to comedy

http://awakened_freak.tripod.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/emo!!.jpg

Matt700wlw
02-15-2007, 06:41 PM
Good ol' Willie!

Chip R
02-15-2007, 06:55 PM

Similar to the first round of American Idol.

Matt700wlw
02-15-2007, 09:44 PM
The only round worth watching...

Ron Madden
02-16-2007, 04:22 AM
The only round worth watching...

I'm sorry Matt, but I expect more than that.

The Fans in Reds Country Deserve More Than That.

To hell with comedy, shock value, misinformation and high ratings.

Comedy, shock value and misinformation does nothing but harm to this once proud franchise.

I'm not slinging mud at anyone, just giving my humble and honest opinion.

There was a time when Cincinnati Reds Fans were counted among the most knowledgeable Fans in all of Baseball. That is not so today.

I quess we can blame it on Lazy Fans, who believe all they hear and read from Lazy Misinformed Announcers, Beat Writers and Sportstalk Host.

Ltlabner
02-16-2007, 08:37 AM
There was a time when Cincinnati Reds Fans were counted among the most knowledgeable Fans in all of Baseball. That is not so today.

I quess we can blame it on Lazy Fans, who believe all they hear and read from Lazy Misinformed Announcers, Beat Writers and Sportstalk Host.

I was too young durring the BRM days. Were the fans really that more knowledgeable back then? Or were they more likely to know a lot more information because it was the BRM and they were winning but that information be just as shallow as it is today amoungst casual fans?

I'd say crappy baseball off and on since the Regan administration has a lot more to do with why fans don't care and don't follow the sport as closely (and thus are missinformed, or at least, not progressed beyond BA/RBI/ERA) than the evil kabal of Marty, Hall and John Fey.

redsfan1966
02-16-2007, 06:31 PM
i would like to speak in defense of the Hot Stove League....yes, I will agree some of the callers are not very "baseball intelligent" (some would say I belong in that group)...but I enjoy getting the chance to hear Marty and some semblance of baseball talk during the lean, cold winter months..and even getting out to see some of the HSL live remote broadcasts...I can truly say if the HSL was cancelled, I would miss it....

minus5
02-16-2007, 09:31 PM
Yeah Cunningham is to radio what this guy was to comedy

http://awakened_freak.tripod.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/emo!!.jpg

Nah, Emo actually does have a lot of talent as a joke writer (considered one of the best by some in the biz). Willie's talent?....not so much

Ron Madden
02-17-2007, 06:45 AM
I was too young durring the BRM days. Were the fans really that more knowledgeable back then? Or were they more likely to know a lot more information because it was the BRM and they were winning but that information be just as shallow as it is today amoungst casual fans?

I'd say crappy baseball off and on since the Regan administration has a lot more to do with why fans don't care and don't follow the sport as closely (and thus are missinformed, or at least, not progressed beyond BA/RBI/ERA) than the evil kabal of Marty, Hall and John Fey.

To tell you the truth Ltabner, my love for the game predates the glory years of the BRM by more years than I'd like to confess ;) Times have changed indeed.

Very few games were televised so we depended on the radio broadcast and the newspaper beat writers to paint the picture of games we could not attend. For the most part they did an outstanding job and we were left to form our own opinions.

Nowadays the radio broadcast and the beat writer reports have less to do with play by play and analysis of the game its self but is more opinion based.

I could be wrong but it seems to me todays Fans are far too eager to accept those opinions at face value and adopt them as their own rather than think for themselves.

I hope this makes sense, I'm not very good at putting my thoughts into words.