PDA

View Full Version : Yahoo! NL Central Preview

FutureRedsGM
02-15-2007, 03:27 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=ti-nlcentral021307&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

Here's the Reds stuff:

First impression: It surely is a long shot, but amid the Reds who are familiar by face or name or game, Josh Hamilton working on life phase No. 2 or 3 or 4 will be trying to win a job. He is 25 years old, aged as outfield prospects go. He has played 15 games in four years, all for the Hudson Valley Renegades of the New York-Penn League late last season. He is in camp as a Rule 5 flier, giving him six weeks to find a place amid Ken Griffey Jr., Adam Dunn, Ryan Freel, Bubba Crosby, Jeff Conine and Chris Denorfia. In a "The Natural" scenario, Hamilton reclaims his unattended baseball tools, takes center field, and the Reds move the 37-year-old Griffey to right. More likely, Hamilton has his moments, isn't nearly ready for the big leagues, and he returns to the Tampa Bay Devil Rays for another year or two in the minors.

Competition: Kirk Saarloos, the right-handed sinkerballer who was so versatile the past two seasons for the Oakland Athletics, has a good chance to fill out the Reds' rotation behind Bronson Arroyo, Aaron Harang, Eric Milton and Kyle Lohse. Right-handers Matt Belisle, Elizardo Ramirez (recovered from shoulder tendinitis) and Homer Bailey also have a shot. David Weathers, Mike Stanton and Todd Coffey will be considered for the closer's role.

Healing: Milton is back from elbow surgery and in the final year of his contract. Griffey has healed from a broken hand suffered in the offseason. Reliever Eddie Guardado, back as a non-roster player, had Tommy John surgery in September and isn't expected to pitch until late summer.

Next: Bailey, at 20 one of the top pitching prospects in the game, had a 1.59 ERA in 13 Double-A starts in 2006. He possesses a mid-90's fastball, which is a good start, but the Reds would like to see more consistency in his off-speed pitches.

Redleg39
02-15-2007, 05:39 PM
I'm kind of surprised that Bill Bray isn't mentioned in the article as a contender to close. Who do you think will win the closer role? I think Coffey will start in the spot.

DTCromer
02-15-2007, 06:04 PM
Great article. That's pretty much dead-on what I would've written.

Sean_CaseyRules
02-15-2007, 10:49 PM
I'm kind of surprised that Bill Bray isn't mentioned in the article as a contender to close. Who do you think will win the closer role? I think Coffey will start in the spot.

That too also made me think. I believe Bray will play a big part in our run for the Central this year. And I think that we will suprise a lot of people this year and make the playoffs and maybe a little more.