PDA

View Full Version : "...and he's got incredible sink."....Hat on Saarloos

Ga_Red
02-16-2007, 07:21 AM
http://news.cincypost.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070216/SPT05/702160330/1027

redsmetz
02-16-2007, 09:39 AM
Sweet. I'm chomping at the bit for us to get practicing and working toward the season.

Saarloos doesn't look like a big guy, fairly slight frame from the picture in the Post. Is he old enough to be wiley?

redsmetz
02-16-2007, 10:02 AM
Isn't Hatteberg the player his fellow players voted most likely to be a manager? I like to see a sharp player who looks at the game broadly. I know some folks believe we need more production from his position, but I continue to think that for this year, he brings lots of value to us both on the field and in the clubhouse. I think he will be the back up next year if Votto is ready and he brings some smarts to our younger players.

Always Red
02-16-2007, 11:22 AM
incredible sink?

so did Graves. and Ryan Wagner, too, come to think of it.

Major league hitters lay off of those pitches, because most true sinkers are out of the strike zone; they're balls. They wait for you to come at them with a strike, something they have to swing at.

He's got to have another pitch, or be able to throw it for a strike. You can't fool big league hitters every time.

Having said that, I hope Saarloos steps up big this year!

vaticanplum
02-16-2007, 01:16 PM
Isn't Hatteberg the player his fellow players voted most likely to be a manager? I like to see a sharp player who looks at the game broadly. I know some folks believe we need more production from his position, but I continue to think that for this year, he brings lots of value to us both on the field and in the clubhouse. I think he will be the back up next year if Votto is ready and he brings some smarts to our younger players.

I think Hatteberg is a huge asset to this organization, I really do. Some older players can be good presences, but not all have the verbal skills and the positivity to convey all that. I get the impression that he really does. Part of me really hopes the Reds hang onto him until he retires, as you say, then keep him on as a coach or something.

jimbo
02-16-2007, 03:27 PM
"After he got traded to the Reds, Saarloos picked up a bat and went into the batting cage - "but I never took a swing, I just bunted," he admitted."

Thank you, thank you, thank you. Something Reds pitchers have not been very good at for quite some time.

Moosie52
02-16-2007, 03:30 PM
Hatteburg on Milton: "He's got incredible stink."

TeamBoone
02-16-2007, 09:49 PM
"After he got traded to the Reds, Saarloos picked up a bat and went into the batting cage - "but I never took a swing, I just bunted," he admitted."

Thank you, thank you, thank you. Something Reds pitchers have not been very good at for quite some time.

I don't think it's because the Reds have been remiss in giving it the good old college try. I know last year that had someone working with them on bunting; he was on Real Reds talking about it. I should remember the name, but I'm sorry, I don't.

mth123
02-16-2007, 10:03 PM
incredible sink?

Major league hitters lay off of those pitches, because most true sinkers are out of the strike zone; they're balls. They wait for you to come at them with a strike, something they have to swing at.

He's got to have another pitch, or be able to throw it for a strike. You can't fool big league hitters every time.

Bingo. A perfect explanation for minor league numbers with good K Rates and low walk rates and the reverse in the majors. Minor leaguers swing and miss, major leaguers take and walk.

Falls City Beer
02-16-2007, 10:04 PM
incredible sink?

Graves had sink. Then he didn't.

Wagner had the slider, but not the sink exactly.

reds44
02-16-2007, 10:07 PM
incredible sink?

Danny Graves did not have incredible sink. Maybe for awhile he did, but not when he started sucking. There is a reason me and my brother called it a gravity ball.

acredsfan
02-16-2007, 10:21 PM
I don't think it's because the Reds have been remiss in giving it the good old college try. I know last year that had someone working with them on bunting; he was on Real Reds talking about it. I should remember the name, but I'm sorry, I don't.
That Moses guy?

Always Red
02-17-2007, 06:59 AM
Danny Graves did not have incredible sink. Maybe for awhile he did, but not when he started sucking. There is a reason me and my brother called it a gravity ball.

in his prime, Danny Graves was a better pitcher than Saarloos has been, at least to this point. I agree, when Graves was "sucking" it was nothing more than a gravity ball :laugh: :laugh: .

Once upon a time though, Danny Graves had a very nice sinker. There were some times out there when Graves was virtually unhittable, and he made some good hitters look really bad. That's my point- Saarloos probably has a nice sink, but given his mediocre success to this point, it's probably not "incredible."

I'm giving Hatte points for loyalty, though!

Spitball
02-17-2007, 09:44 AM
A sinker is basically a two-seam fastball that drops because there are fewer seams exposed to the friction with each rotation. The key is location, especially if the pitcher doesn't miss many bats.

Like any pitcher, the key to being a sinkerballer is to avoid mistakes. Unlike the split-finger that drops out of the strike zone, the sinker that is located properly will be topped by the bat and pounded onto the ground.

Personally, I would want some pitchers with hard sinkers, but they tend to give up lots of hits and linedrives rather than lofty flyballs. Typical groundball pitchers also tend to give up their share of homeruns.

OnBaseMachine
02-17-2007, 12:48 PM
I'm starting to come around on Saarloos. I think he is going to be an asset to the 2007 Reds; I predicted around 160-170 innings of 4.25 ERA ball, which would be huge behind Harang and Arroyo and possibly Bailey.

vaticanplum
02-17-2007, 12:50 PM
I'm starting to come around on Saarloos. I think he is going to be an asset to the 2007 Reds; I predicted around 160-170 innings of 4.25 ERA ball, which would be huge behind Harang and Arroyo and possibly Bailey.

I smell optimism...

paintmered
02-17-2007, 12:56 PM

Posters lose first-born children with posts like this. :devil:

jojo
02-17-2007, 12:56 PM
City of Cincinnati maintenance worker to his boss over the two-way radio...."that developing hole in the intersection has incredible sink"....

OnBaseMachine
02-17-2007, 01:38 PM
Posters lose first-born children with posts like this. :devil:

I don't have any kids, in other words, I have nothing to lose. :D

Spitball
02-17-2007, 06:13 PM

I'm curious as to why you are "starting to come around" and making those statistical predictions.

OnBaseMachine
02-17-2007, 11:35 PM
I'm curious as to why you are "starting to come around" and making those statistical predictions.

Three reasons:

1. The league change - facing the weaker National League lineups always helps. Having that extra automatic out from the ninth spot is huge.

2. The Reds new and improved infield defense playing behind Saarloos and his sinker. I can't think of one single defense in baseball that is rangier than Encarnacion, Gonzalez, and Brandon Phillips. That phenominal range will play a huge role in his success.

3. It's spring! Optimism is running through my vains. We're tied for first place, no one is on the DL, and everyone is going to have a huge year for the Reds!

Spitball
02-18-2007, 01:24 PM
Three reasons:

1. The league change - facing the weaker National League lineups always helps. Having that extra automatic out from the ninth spot is huge.

2. The Reds new and improved infield defense playing behind Saarloos and his sinker. I can't think of one single defense in baseball that is rangier than Encarnacion, Gonzalez, and Brandon Phillips. That phenominal range will play a huge role in his success.

3. It's spring! Optimism is running through my vains. We're tied for first place, no one is on the DL, and everyone is going to have a huge year for the Reds!

Okay, that works for me. :thumbup: