PDA

View Full Version : Question on Milton

GAC
02-17-2007, 07:59 AM
Looking at the "situation" this past off-season concerning not only starting pitching, but quality starting pitching, and how teams were scrambling and overpaying for it. Many were basically settling for mediocrity... if Milton has a decent '07 for the Reds (lets say a .500 season thereabouts - you pick the numbers).....

does Krivsky try to resign him or trade (pawn him of) by the trading deadline?

jojo
02-17-2007, 10:26 AM
Looking at the "situation" this past off-season concerning not only starting pitching, but quality starting pitching, and how teams were scrambling and overpaying for it. Many were basically settling for mediocrity... if Milton has a decent '07 for the Reds (lets say a .500 season thereabouts - you pick the numbers).....

does Krivsky try to resign him or trade (pawn him of) by the trading deadline?

That's complicated. This could be a very similar situation to the one the Mariners were in last season with Meche. Will the Reds be in the thick of a race and if so, assuming Milton is having a decent year, could they replace him with someone who could be similar? Concerning following the season, no way I give him a contract.

OnBaseMachine
02-17-2007, 10:33 AM
Trade him at the deadline or let him walk at the end of the season. Under no circumstances should Krivsky resign him.

westofyou
02-17-2007, 11:00 AM
He will not be resigned, that's the other regimes mistake.

lollipopcurve
02-17-2007, 11:05 AM
If he manages to stay healthy and have a passable season by which the Reds can get a draft pick for him, sweet. No way he's back.

Tom Servo
02-17-2007, 11:07 AM
On the surface you'd say it's a no-brainer that he's not being brought back no matter what. But remember he's an ex-Twin. :help:

macro
02-17-2007, 11:07 AM
Trade him at the deadline or let him walk at the end of the season. Under no circumstances should Krivsky resign him.

I agree. Milton and the Reds would be better off with him pitching his home games in another park. If he's pitching at .500, I think they could get good value at the deadline from a team that has a park better able to hold his fly balls.

Marc D
02-17-2007, 12:00 PM
At one point last year he had better numbers than the backend guys of both NY franchises. Possibly trade him to the Mets and sell them on the idea of their defense and ballpark making him look decent. Of course I don't know what either NY team has done to improve their staffs this off season.

The trick is to have a plan and work the timing out exactly. Milton will actually look halfway decent after a long rest before the knees start barking. If someone shows even halfway decent ability coming out of ST(as a replacement), maybe an early season trade?

GAC
02-17-2007, 12:04 PM
He will not be resigned, that's the other regimes mistake.

I thoroughly agree. But what if the Reds are in the hunt in '07, and Milton is a factor? I agree - trade him off and "fleece" someone else.

But then will we have fans complaining, with the same old argument, that this FO doesn't care about winning (but saving money), and just shot any chance we had in '07 down the tubes by trading him?

Spring~Fields
02-17-2007, 12:29 PM
I thoroughly agree. But what if the Reds are in the hunt in '07, and Milton is a factor? I agree - trade him off and "fleece" someone else.
But then will we have fans complaining, with the same old argument, that this FO doesn't care about winning (but saving money), and just shot any chance we had in '07 down the tubes by trading him?

I think the question of what Krivsky will do with Milton is muddied by the fact that he acquired Lohse and is hanging on to him, is there a significant difference in results between the two? until he is able to find better alternatives, wherever those are.

westofyou
02-17-2007, 12:51 PM

If he's a factor let him play out his string, take the picks when he walks.

Never talk of resigning him.

Patrick Bateman
02-17-2007, 01:15 PM
If he's a factor let him play out his string, take the picks when he walks.

I doubt we get picks if he walks. for that to happen Krivsky would have to offer him arbitration and risk paying him about 10M next season. That's too big of a risk for me.

westofyou
02-17-2007, 01:40 PM
I doubt we get picks if he walks. for that to happen Krivsky would have to offer him arbitration and risk paying him about 10M next season. That's too big of a risk for me.

Then give him a parting gift of Skyline and some Ribs King sauce and burn his locker to the ground and pour salt on its location so nothing ever grows there again.

Patrick Bateman
02-17-2007, 01:59 PM
Then give him a parting gift of Skyline and some Ribs King sauce and burn his locker to the ground and pour salt on its location so nothing ever grows there again.

That sounds great to me. The sooner he's gone the better.

KronoRed
02-17-2007, 02:22 PM
Resign him?

The horror..the horror.

camisadelgolf
02-17-2007, 02:49 PM
Be he a complete disaster or an All-Star, there is no way he is re-signed at any price.

Gainesville Red
02-17-2007, 03:14 PM
Under no circumstances should Krivsky resign him.

I wouldn't say "no circumstances,"

What if he shows up in Sarasota with a robot arm and laser eyes?

GAC
02-17-2007, 04:29 PM
I think the question of what Krivsky will do with Milton is muddied by the fact that he acquired Lohse and is hanging on to him, is there a significant difference in results between the two?

They're paying one twice as much as the other. ;)

Spring~Fields
02-17-2007, 06:09 PM
They're paying one twice as much as the other. ;)

You're right about the money, I was just thinking about the performance and outcome of the game side. Surely no one would resign Milton to any high dollar contracts unless the latest surgeries were bionic though.

I was hoping that he would have a good spring, look good in the window to some shoppers, and maybe Krivsky dump him off on some dreamer that had some hot prospects to send back in return.