KronoRed
02-19-2007, 02:08 PM
I bet he hustled

Falls City Beer
02-19-2007, 02:12 PM
Kimera was a chimera.

redsupport
02-19-2007, 02:26 PM
was he medusoid, or sisyphysean, did he fail because of the lack of opportunity or did he fail because a concantenation of circumstances conspired and colluded against him.

Wheelhouse
02-19-2007, 02:35 PM
This is the DEPTHS of an off-season post.

redsupport
02-19-2007, 02:37 PM
Thank you very much, anyone who has toiled for the Reds needs a thread to reward their refulgence

texasdave
02-19-2007, 03:04 PM
Bartee couldn't hit off a batting tee.

redsupport
02-19-2007, 03:19 PM
how much altitude did the proposed batting tee have?

kaldaniels
02-19-2007, 04:03 PM
At first glance I thought you were asking for a salad dressing recipe. :laugh:

Yachtzee
02-19-2007, 04:26 PM
If his name were Basilisk Bartee, he would have been a great alliterative Red. His name spelled backwards is "Eetrab Aremik."

klw
02-19-2007, 04:58 PM
We have our leader for Redszone Award for not only the Best Thread Title of the Year but also Best Kimera Bartee Thread of 2007.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/b/barteki01.shtml

What's sad is that from his -44 OPS+ with the Reds, he slumped with Colorado to -57 OPS+. Must have been the Coors Field effect.
Wow Anaheim got the better end of the Chone Figgens for Kimera Bartee trade.

texasdave
02-19-2007, 05:21 PM
with hands held high
he swung mighty lumber but failing to connect
caused fans to slumber

texasdave
02-19-2007, 05:23 PM
i'll bet his theme song when coming up to bat was pink's 'let's get this bartee started' hehe

deltachi8
02-20-2007, 12:23 AM
I think I had that on my salad at Applebees last week...

BCubb2003
02-20-2007, 03:30 AM
They still talk about the Chone Figgins trade.

He had a negative OPS for two different teams.

klw
02-21-2007, 02:29 PM
Here's his bio from Wikipedia
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kimera_Bartee

klw
02-21-2007, 02:31 PM
He is now a coach with the Delmarva Shorebirds.
http://www.theshorebirds.com/fanzone/roster/index.html?player_id=41

klw
02-21-2007, 02:33 PM
And here is all you ever asked for: A Kimera Bartee Vignette

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.liducks.com/images/soEditor/Kimera3.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.liducks.com/index.cfm%3Ffuseaction%3DgameRecaps%26newsID%3D395&h=201&w=220&sz=50&hl=en&start=2&tbnid=qSoQFKZTNuMqjM:&tbnh=98&tbnw=107&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dkimera%2Bbartee%26svnum%3D10%26hl%3De n%26sa%3DN

Upon arrival with the Long Island Ducks in 2003, former Major League outfielder Kimera Bartee figured it would be easy. Come in, play lights out and be back in the big leagues by June. He wouldn’t even be on Long Island long enough to get to know the name of the street he was living on. And that would be just fine by him.

But a funny thing happened to Bartee. Instead of making this a quick stop on his way back to the bigs, he not only experienced winning a championship for the first time in his career, but gained invaluable insight into what he wanted to do following his playing days. In addition, he found out what a special place Citibank Park could be.

Before that would happen, the former Detroit Tiger got a lesson in Ducks baseball. “In the beginning, it was a situation where I came in possibly to platoon with Justin Davies,” recalled Bartee. “I didn’t know at the time that he was the Mayor of Long Island. When I played my first game, I started while he was being rested and if I didn’t get a hit, I was booed. I thought it was going to be tough to play here.”

In time, Bartee began to start in leftfield, showing the tools that made him a 14th round selection of the Baltimore Orioles in the 1993 draft. He finished the season with a .328 batting average, eight home runs, 87 RBI and 18 steals. His passionate play on the field and endearing personality off it won fans over, and soon enough he was a fan favorite. The one thing that bothered him was that the team finished just one game out of the playoffs.

After briefly contemplating retirement following the ’03 campaign, Bartee decided to return to Long Island in 2004. He came back with a single-minded determination -- to be on a squad that won it all.

“The only reason I came back to play in 2004 was to win,” said Bartee. “I told Dave LaPoint that if I come back, I am doing it for one reason -- to win. I’m not coming back to sign with a Major League team or to just keep playing baseball.”

In 2004, Bartee was at the top of his game, hitting a Ducks team record 27 home runs, batting .319, stealing 30 bases and driving in 88 runs en route to the 2004 Atlantic League championship. During the season, Bartee became a mentor to many of the players on the team. He was as passionate about teaching the fundamentals to players as he was about playing. Winning a championship ring was the icing on the cake of his playing days and helped him make up his mind to move on to the next phase of his career. “Winning the ring meant everything in the world to me,” he said. “It helped make me a lot more comfortable in making the transition from playing to coaching knowing that I was on a team that accomplished something.”

After spending 2005 as a field coach for the Delmarva Shorebirds in the Orioles’ system, he moved on to the organization’s Double-A affiliate, where he will serve as a hitting instructor during the upcoming season.

Now firmly entrenched in the coaching profession and on his way up the organization’s ladder, Bartee has nothing but fond memories of his time on Long Island. “I loved playing there,” he recalls. “The fans are out there every night supporting you, making it easy for you to get up for the game. When I returned last season, the ovation they game me was something I will remember forever. It meant a lot to me.”

While only a Duck for two seasons, Bartee left a lasting impression on fans of Long Island’s Atlantic League franchise. From the moment online polling began, there was a steady stream of votes tallied for the former big leaguer and, by the time voting was finished, the Nebraska native rested at the number three position on the Flock Top 15.

Despite a difficult early transition to Long Island, it seems Bartee has found a home in the hearts of Duck fans for good.

redsupport
02-21-2007, 03:27 PM
An amazing disquisition

Topcat
02-22-2007, 06:12 AM
Ok my first response to these plain toast threads by redsupport. I have to ask this ok ? Just exactly is your point? Next are we going to have Nelson Norman threads and was Len Sakata Asian or Japanese American? Damn it has been a very loooooooooonggggggggggg off season. If I am being mean spirited I apologize and may I suggest how totally awe inspiring John Lowenstien was as a day to day regular on my Birmingham Stallions expansion franchise on Avalon Hill's baseball card game in 1981 .