PDA

View Full Version : Dunn arrives...

Wheelhouse
02-19-2007, 01:13 PM
If this is all true, it's a terrific sign about Adam:
Per Trent:

Dunn debate

SARASOTA, Fla. -- Adam Dunn's here and have at it.

Dunn looks noticably leaner, he said he's done more running and eating much better. New hitting coach Brook Jacoby visited him for about a month ago in Houston.

Dunn said he just wants to forget last season, when he 40 home runs, drove in 92 runs and scored 99 runs. He also hit .234, struck out a major league high 194 times and committed 13 errors.

"Iím trying ot get that out of my head, first of all," Dunn said. "I spent all offseason thinking about how hard the last two months of the season were for me; I was terrible. I donít want that to happen to me again."

Reds manager Jerry Narron said he's very impressed by what he's seen of Dunn so far.

"I love that he's here early and he's in great shape," Narron said. "Just talking to him, I love what he says about defense and being the best leftfielder he can be."

Narron said there's no plans on playing Dunn at first base.

Dunn said he's looking to concentrate on defense this spring.

"Thatís something Iíve probably taken a little too lightly in the past," Dunn said. "Thatís going to be my main focus this spring, not to be a good one, but a great one. And I think I can."

Let the Dunn bashing comments begin...

http://frontier.cincinnati.com/blogs/spring/

VR
02-19-2007, 01:37 PM
Good for Adam, bad for the National League.

TheBurn
02-19-2007, 02:10 PM
"I love that he's here early and he's in great shape," Narron said. "Just talking to him, I love what he says about defense and being the best leftfielder he can be."

"Thatís something Iíve probably taken a little too lightly in the past," Dunn said. "Thatís going to be my main focus this spring, not to be a good one, but a great one. And I think I can."

:beerme:

edabbs44
02-19-2007, 02:24 PM
Per Trent:

Dunn debate

SARASOTA, Fla. -- Adam Dunn's here and have at it.

Dunn looks noticably leaner, he said he's done more running and eating much better. New hitting coach Brook Jacoby visited him for about a month ago in Houston.

Dunn said he just wants to forget last season, when he 40 home runs, drove in 92 runs and scored 99 runs. He also hit .234, struck out a major league high 194 times and committed 13 errors.

"I’m trying ot get that out of my head, first of all," Dunn said. "I spent all offseason thinking about how hard the last two months of the season were for me; I was terrible. I don’t want that to happen to me again."

Reds manager Jerry Narron said he's very impressed by what he's seen of Dunn so far.

"That’s something I’ve probably taken a little too lightly in the past," Dunn said. "That’s going to be my main focus this spring, not to be a good one, but a great one. And I think I can."

Since Adam's career OPS in April is 1.074 and drops dramatically in August (.820) and September (.732), let's reserve judgement on his work ethic and leaner physique until after the all-star break.

Matt700wlw
02-19-2007, 02:54 PM
Good for Adam, I hope it pays off for him and he can become a more dominant player.

If he can...WATCH OUT.

Spring~Fields
02-19-2007, 02:55 PM

"Thatís something Iíve probably taken a little too lightly in the past," Dunn said.

Guess TC is vindicated, by Mr. Dunn himself.

TeamBoone
02-19-2007, 03:55 PM
Since Adam's career OPS in April is 1.074 and drops dramatically in August (.820) and September (.732), let's reserve judgement on his work ethic and leaner physique until after the all-star break.

Why should we reserve judgement on what he's done to improve himself during the offseason? He's worked hard.

Will it come to fruitition? We don't know; he doesn't know. But that doesn't diminish what he's done RIGHT NOW.

Aronchis
02-19-2007, 04:01 PM
Will this be the year Adam Dunn finally OPS's over 1.000? Or will it be the deathknell as his career swoons to a disasterous ending?

I can't wait for the 2 parter.

captainmorgan07
02-19-2007, 04:07 PM
good to here he came in shape and is hungry to make up for last years last 2 months

Johnny Footstool
02-19-2007, 04:10 PM
Will this be the year Adam Dunn finally OPS's over 1.000? Or will it be the deathknell as his career swoons to a disasterous ending?

Or will he OPS around .925-.950 and continue to inspire never-ending debate?

edabbs44
02-19-2007, 04:31 PM
Why should we reserve judgement on what he's done to improve himself during the offseason? He's worked hard.

Will it come to fruitition? We don't know; he doesn't know. But that doesn't diminish what he's done RIGHT NOW.

A lot can happen over 6-8 months. He could pack on 20 pounds or he can stay in shape. I just don't think it is cause of celebration that he is in shape now. It doesn't seem like he's ever had many problems in the first half of the season before.

medford
02-19-2007, 05:02 PM

What he's done over the off season is great, but it won't matter much if he spends the regular season hitting the bars every night, scarfing down pizza and showing up 10 minutes before BP starts every day. I'm not saying that he will follow these habits or even that he has in the past, but this sounds like the typical "start of spring training" story that we hear every year across mlb.

Hopefully he's serious about the final 2 months of the season wearing on him. Dunn does many great things, but he also has many holes that he never seems to improve upon. Defense is my biggest grip w/ him. He was good athletic enough to get a football scholarship to Texas as a QB, but he routinely looks lost in the OF. Mainly I believe it to be a concentration problem or a lack of hard work on his defense. If he Adam can improve his defense to be just league average, he would greatly help the Reds.

Great to hear, but I'm hoping that he follows thru on his commitment to improved conditioning and defense.

Topcat
02-19-2007, 05:52 PM
Fantastic news ! Adam can truly be great if he commits himself to being in better shape. Plus to go but 1 week without Adam Dunn bashing would be awesome.

edabbs44
02-19-2007, 06:02 PM
Fantastic news ! Adam can truly be great if he commits himself to being in better shape. Plus to go but 1 week without Adam Dunn bashing would be awesome.

Yeah, being in better shape won't help his production.

I cannot wait to see someone tell us how a higher percentage of body fat correlates closely to runs scored.

deltachi8
02-19-2007, 06:48 PM
(note: writer's embellishment)

After walking, some would say at a leisurely pace, from his vehicle, Adam Dunn was whacked on the knee cap by a white haired man yelling "around here we hustle like Pete."

Reds1
02-19-2007, 06:50 PM

Why would we bash that. That's exciting. He hasn't been focused on defense or really doing much in the off season, but I think last season was a wake up call and I'm fired up to see what he can do. His numbers are already great - imagine if he could be an AS LF

Team Clark
02-19-2007, 06:55 PM
Guess TC is vindicated, by Mr. Dunn himself.

:laugh: Funny you say that. I never considered myself one to attack Adam. A lot of people said that I have but they never really read what I wrote. They only read a word or two and then came screaming to the defense of their favorite player. I've done that a time or two myself. I took no offense and always enjoyed the great conversation that followed. Some of the greatest threads on this board (Most educational anyway) have derived from the critique of Adam Dunn.

I may have pointed out some FACTS about Adam that others may have not liked but I personally like Adam. There are FEW better people to hang out with or know than Adam. Many on this board have had that experience and posted as such. No beat writer that I know of has ever really bashed Dunn as a person. How can you? Self depreciating humor. Fun guy. Laid back. Maybe a bit too laid back for some Reds fans including myself. The guy is who he is. Sounds to me like fatherhood has taken a mighty grip on the good 'ol boy. I can say with certainty that it did the same for me. I think we all reach that point in our life when things become just a bit more serious.

If Adam's printed words bring some sort of vindication than so be it. ALL along I have always wanted something GREATER for Adam and Austin Kearns. Neither seemed to want it by working hard. They both, seemingly, justified by their actions just showed up to play. Two VERY, naturally, gifted athletes who just did what they did. Even Jr. learned that after awhile natural talent just doesn't cut the mustard.

Here's to an improved overall Adam Dunn! :beerme:

PickOff
02-19-2007, 07:52 PM
Excellent comments to hear from Dunn. I'll be happy to watch him this year, with a different perspective perhaps than in years past. I wish him luck, and if this guy steps up and becomes a leader, then I have hope for the future of the Reds yet.

Wheelhouse
02-19-2007, 08:01 PM
Why would we bash that. That's exciting. He hasn't been focused on defense or really doing much in the off season, but I think last season was a wake up call and I'm fired up to see what he can do. His numbers are already great - imagine if he could be an AS LF

The bashing line is Trent's not mine.

Reds1
02-19-2007, 08:03 PM
The bashing line is Trent's not mine.

Sorry! No ones seems to be bashing this! This is great news.

TeamBoone
02-19-2007, 10:11 PM
What he's done over the off season is great, but it won't matter much if he spends the regular season hitting the bars every night, scarfing down pizza and showing up 10 minutes before BP starts every day. I'm not saying that he will follow these habits or even that he has in the past, but this sounds like the typical "start of spring training" story that we hear every year across mlb.

How do you know he hit the bars every night, ate pizza, and showed up only 10 minutes before BP? I follow everything in print about him VERY closely, and I never got that impression.

Did he go out? Yeah, sure he did... why wouldn't he? He's young and was single at the time. That does not automatically translate into an every night occurance.

I don't buy the theory that marriage and a child has jarred Adam awake. Who knows but what he was married sometime during last season. Does anyone know exactly when he got married or is most everyone just assuming it was during the offseason?

Perhaps, just perhaps, he's finally realized that he doesn't want to just get by, but wants to excell. That can happen to a guy even if he's single. As you get older, you look at things differently... perhaps he's just matured with no strings attached.

Ron Madden
02-20-2007, 04:44 AM
Adam showed up early and is in great shape?

Somewhere BF is banging his head against a wall.

mbgrayson
02-20-2007, 10:39 PM
From MLB Trade Rumors (http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/)site:

"Adam Dunn's 2008 Option
This time of year we hear a lot about guys entering their walk years or guys with questionable team options for 2008. Is Adam Dunn one such player?

The Reds have a $13MM option on him for '08. Obviously, they'll take the wait and see approach after Dunn slipped to .234/.365/.490 last year. PECOTA thinks he'll bounce all the way back to .267/.390/.574 this season.

For '08, they have him hitting .267/.398/.581, perhaps his peak season at age 28. He could be worth $18MM according to BP's projection system. Unless Dunn completely flops this season, the option should be exercised. Even if he reaches the midpoint of his projection and '06 performance, it's probably a smart move. How many teams wouldn't sign Dunn for one year and $13MM?

As far as Reds of the future, Jay Bruce will probably end up in right and Joey Votto at first. That still leaves room for Dunn and his 40+ HRs in left."

gonelong
02-21-2007, 04:31 PM
Richard Skinner mentioned it this morning.

He mentioned PECOTA, OBP, and SLG and I about wrecked the car. Of course, now I can see he just read what was on MLB Trade rumors.

GL