PDA

View Full Version : Reds STILL interested in Hermanson

Redskinalum02
02-19-2007, 05:38 PM
From the "stories that never die" pages...

Hermanson holds open audition
By Tim Brown

Monday, Feb 19, 2007 3:32 pm EST

Right-hander Dustin Hermanson, who two seasons ago had a 2.04 ERA in 57 appearances for the Chicago White Sox, threw for several teams Monday in Phoenix. The Cleveland Indians, who recently had Keith Foulke retire, Tampa Bay Devil Rays, Cincinnati Reds and San Francisco Giants are believed to be interested.

A lower back injury limited Hermanson to six appearances last season.

Veterans still without jobs: Mark Redman and Steve Finley.

I would expect the Indians to break the bank (as far signing Dustin Hermanson goes) to get him since Foulke just retired. I would not mind the Reds signing him for a fair $ amount though.

Krash
02-19-2007, 05:41 PM
I'll go with Cleveland as well. I'm surprised Redman and Finley aren't signed anywhere yet.

edabbs44
02-19-2007, 05:42 PM
Ugh.

Double ugh.

In other news, Marty was seen holding a prayer vigil outside of GABP, holding out hope that Finley would be given an invite to spring training. He has already printed flyers for the 1st annual "Best 40 Year Old Body Competition" between Conine and Finley.

KronoRed
02-19-2007, 06:02 PM
Why do I see all of these names in camp? :help:

BEETTLEBUG
02-20-2007, 01:10 AM
Just bring in all three: Hermanson, Finley, & Redman. Marty and Thom would be happy and they got 30 days or so to figure out who to keep and who not and Finley would play CF and Jr. would slide over to RF.

Jpup
02-20-2007, 06:06 AM
I'd take a chance on Redman.

ChatterRed
02-20-2007, 09:36 AM
I'd take a chance on all 4. What have we got to lose? We need to finish out our pitching rotation...........and our position players aren't exactly an offensive juggernaut.

FutureRedsGM
02-20-2007, 10:20 AM
I'd take a chance on all 4. What have we got to lose? We need to finish out our pitching rotation...........and our position players aren't exactly an offensive juggernaut.

You are correct that it would be ok to offer all three of them MINOR LEAGUE DEALS, but none of them merit a major league contract and I doubt that any of them would sign for less than that.

Small problem though:

Redmon (if he made the club) would bump Saarloos, EZ, or (gasp) Homer out of the 5th starters job. Youth loses experience to a 1 year stop gap.

Finley (if he made the club) would bump Denorfia to AAA, force Hamilton to be sent back to the Rays or force a Freel / Deno trade. Youth loses experience to a 1 year stop gap.

Jim
02-20-2007, 11:12 AM
Redmon (if he made the club) would bump Saarloos, EZ, or (gasp) Homer out of the 5th starters job. Youth loses experience to a 1 year stop gap.

Finley (if he made the club) would bump Denorfia to AAA, force Hamilton to be sent back to the Rays or force a Freel / Deno trade. Youth loses experience to a 1 year stop gap.

Agreed. We don't need either guy. I'm much more in favor of giving youth a chance to prove themselves over about-to-retire options. I'm willing to bet that Deno or EZ mature to the point that they far exceed the return on a 1 year contract with either of these guys. Gotta be willing to take a chance.

BLEEDS
02-21-2007, 02:54 PM
Finley? Chuck or Steve?

I think we could use Chuck more...

PEACE

-BLEEDS