PDA

View Full Version : Larkin's Busy Season At Hand

westofyou
02-20-2007, 06:27 PM
IMO the man is in the wrong house.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/02/19/AR2007021900872.html

By Barry Svrluga
Washington Post Staff Writer
Tuesday, February 20, 2007;

VIERA, Fla., Feb. 19 -- Felipe Lopez plopped down at his locker Monday, and Barry Larkin sat directly next to him. For 10 minutes, they discussed playing the infield -- the beginning of a discussion that will last the whole spring.

Larkin, the longtime Cincinnati Reds shortstop, was an assistant to Washington Nationals General Manager Jim Bowden in each of the last two seasons. But entering this offseason, he didn't know if his role would continue.

"But I'm here," he said. "I want to help in whatever way possible."

Larkin began earlier in the week by working with third baseman Ryan Zimmerman on his footwork. "He's great, because he gets right in there and does it with you," Zimmerman said. "It's easy to see what you're doing wrong, because he shows you."

A significant task, though, will be getting Lopez -- who is moving from shortstop to second base -- and shortstop Cristian Guzman to work together up the middle. To that end, Manager Manny Acta had Guzman's and Lopez's lockers moved next to each other Monday.

"I'm really looking forward to working with this double-play combination, because I think it could be a good one," Larkin said.

OnBaseMachine
02-20-2007, 06:28 PM
Get Larkin into the Reds organization, Mr. Castellini, please.

Matt700wlw
02-20-2007, 06:32 PM
I agree. Do it yesterday.

Sweetstop
02-20-2007, 06:46 PM

Yes! Yes! Yes! A thousand times. Yes!

redsmetz
02-20-2007, 07:28 PM

Maybe releasing Lark's contract to us could be the compensation for jobbing us with Majewski.

Yachtzee
02-20-2007, 08:03 PM
Make it so, Number One.

redsfanmia
02-20-2007, 08:12 PM
Does John Allen still work for the Reds? No Larkin until he is gone.

Chip R
02-20-2007, 08:17 PM

I agree. That's unfortunate.

MartyFan
02-20-2007, 08:22 PM
John Allen has nothing to do with the Baseball side of things...he is strictly the money end of the game now.

Sad that larkin is so stubborn about this but Wille McGee has been about laRusa in St.Louis so...it's his choice.

Chip R
02-20-2007, 08:42 PM
John Allen has nothing to do with the Baseball side of things...he is strictly the money end of the game now.

Sad that larkin is so stubborn about this but Wille McGee has been about laRusa in St.Louis so...it's his choice.

Willie McGee? Don't you mean Ozzie Smith?

macro
02-21-2007, 12:52 AM
Barry Larkin will be on the Reds coaching staff someday.

pedro
02-21-2007, 12:57 AM
Barry Larkin will be on the Reds coaching staff someday.

I wouldn't be suprised if he was the next manager.

jimbo
02-21-2007, 12:59 AM

I disagree. Allen has nowhere near the pull or authority that he did in the previous adminstration.

Chip R
02-21-2007, 01:51 AM
I disagree. Allen has nowhere near the pull or authority that he did in the previous adminstration.

True, but it's a two way street. Perhaps Barry won't go back to the Reds until Allen is gone.

KronoRed
02-21-2007, 04:07 AM
I wouldn't be suprised if he was the next manager.

Nah, we like former catchers ;)

Ravenlord
02-21-2007, 04:39 AM
A significant task, though, will be getting Lopez -- who is moving from shortstop to second base -- and shortstop Cristian Guzman to work together up the middle. To that end, Manager Manny Acta had Guzman's and Lopez's lockers moved next to each other Monday.

i think this shoud be standard procedure for every new SS/2B combo. i would love it if i heard Narron did something similar with Gonzalez and Phillips.

RedFanAlways1966
02-21-2007, 08:57 AM
Devil's Advocate....

I'm not one that favors bringing favorite players back as coaches/managers. It never ends good. Not too many coaches/managers retire as such on their own (even as players... Barry?). Pete Rose, Tony Perez...

Let's leave his REDS legacy alone... as a great player. The water can only be muddied if he is brought back as a coach or manager. Especially in a small market where the cards are already stacked against you.

I am glad he is liked in Washington and serves them well. The next time he graces our field should only be when #11 is retired and displayed by Marty and Joe's booth.

Team Clark
02-21-2007, 02:06 PM

Is that so? He meddled in the 1st Base Coaching job interview process last year. He did everything he could to make sure Sr. did not get the job.

TeamBoone
02-21-2007, 02:40 PM
Devil's Advocate....

I'm not one that favors bringing favorite players back as coaches/managers. It never ends good. Not too many coaches/managers retire as such on their own (even as players... Barry?). Pete Rose, Tony Perez...

Let's leave his REDS legacy alone... as a great player. The water can only be muddied if he is brought back as a coach or manager. Especially in a small market where the cards are already stacked against you.

I am glad he is liked in Washington and serves them well. The next time he graces our field should only be when #11 is retired and displayed by Marty and Joe's booth.

I couldn't disagree more.

I'm not saying EVERY player should do so, but a retired player with Larkin's apparent people/coaching/language skills should not be overlooked. It would be crazy to ignore the positive assets he could bring to the team just because he used to play for them.

He has a whole lot to offer and the Reds should scoop him up!

paulrichjr
02-21-2007, 05:22 PM
Is that so? He meddled in the 1st Base Coaching job interview process last year. He did everything he could to make sure Sr. did not get the job.

OK TC I am glad you brought this up. I have a theory that is probably wrong but I think it is right so it doesn't matter. Anyway, I have believed for a long time that while DanO and JimBo were clearly not the best GMs in the business, there record of achievement would not have been so bad if John Allen had been fired before he was hired. I truly believe that more of the Reds problems the last few years can be laid at his feet than Dano or JimBo. Any comments TC?

jmcclain19
02-22-2007, 12:58 AM
OK TC I am glad you brought this up. I have a theory that is probably wrong but I think it is right so it doesn't matter. Anyway, I have believed for a long time that while DanO and JimBo were clearly not the best GMs in the business, there record of achievement would not have been so bad if John Allen had been fired before he was hired. I truly believe that more of the Reds problems the last few years can be laid at his feet than Dano or JimBo. Any comments TC?

I think Dan O'Brien - when he started, said all the right things about the direction the team needed to go. Then cue Eric Milton, Cue Ramon Ortiz, Paul Wilson, etc etc, and the direction changed. I think that was more due to his inexperience at the top than anything else. He was in over his head - well over his head. I blame his hiring on John Allen & Carl Lindner - the perfect milquetoast bland non-boat rocker to follow Jim Bowden. You'll start to see Bowden's true colors come out these next two seasons in Washington. Not a real long distance plan anywhere to be found, other than the stadium being built.

Something that was way under the Radar last year was the Nats hiring Mike Rizzo as their top Asst. GM. Probably the top non-GM in baseball right now - I was stunned he didn't get more than a token interview in AZ two years ago and hasn't gotten much pub for other jobs. Don't think his work in AZ went unnoticed - Stan Kasten could be grooming himself his future GM when the new stadium opens.

Team Clark
02-25-2007, 03:13 AM
I thin John Allen's mishaps and ploys are well publicized. He's been chastised and outed by several media types over they past four or five years. I'm not sure that I could add anything else.

Marge'sMullet
02-25-2007, 03:37 AM

Do you think that John Allen will be here much longer? I can see them letting him go once BC and the Williams Bros. have a better understanding of the business.

MartyFan
03-02-2007, 02:50 PM
Willie McGee? Don't you mean Ozzie Smith?

You are right...sorry...thanks for the correction.

Chip R
03-02-2007, 11:45 PM
You are right...sorry...thanks for the correction.

No problem. I just wasn't sure if Willie McGee also had issues.

johngalt
03-04-2007, 12:38 AM

As has been discussed MANY MANY TIMES, John Allen was just relaying what Carl Lindner wanted done regarding payroll and money. It wasn't HIS team or HIS money.

Chip R
03-04-2007, 12:53 AM
As has been discussed MANY MANY TIMES, John Allen was just relaying what Carl Lindner wanted done regarding payroll and money. It wasn't HIS team or HIS money.

I'm sure you're correct but I'm sure Allen had - and possibly still has - some influence over ownership. If Lindner needed some advice on whether the Reds could do something, who better to ask than the guy who had been running the team?