PDA

View Full Version : Tommy Morrison misdiagnosed with HIV

thatcoolguy_22
02-21-2007, 09:42 AM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/more/02/20/morrison.ap/index.html

"CHESTER, W.Va. (AP) -- Former World Boxing Organization heavyweight champion Tommy Morrison said Thursday a positive HIV test that ended his career more than a decade ago was inaccurate and he is staging a comeback to take care of some unfinished business.

Morrison, 38, will appear in a four-round fight Thursday at Mountaineer Racetrack and Gaming Resort.

I'm negative and I've always been negative and that should be the end of it," Morrison said in a telephone interview with The Associated Press.

"The rug was yanked out from under my feet by a misdiagnosis," he said. "All I want to do is fight ... It's unfinished business."

State Athletic Commissioner Steve Allred said Tuesday he approved Morrison's participation in Thursday's fight after reviewing medical records and consulting with the Association of Boxing Commissions' medical review committee. Confidentiality laws prevent Allred from discussing Morrison's medical history or the records he reviewed, he said.

West Virginia does not have mandatory blood testing for boxers.

"I assure you that West Virginia is doing due diligence to make sure everyone who steps into the ring is healthy," Allred said.

Morrison won the WBO title in 1993 after beating George Foreman on points. He lost it later that year. Morrison, who was featured in the movie "Rocky V," also served a couple of years in an Arkansas prison on drug and weapons charges.

He announced he had human immunodeficiency virus in February 1996 and his last fight occurred that November in Japan when he knocked out Marcus Rhode in the first round. After that fight he said he was trying to erase the fear of AIDS.

Morrison said Tuesday that he has taken several tests while preparing for his comeback and all have been negative for the virus.

He has signed a contract with boxing promoter Top Rank for at least eight fights this year.

"I have no doubt I'll be a better fighter than I ever was before," he said. "I am more relaxed. Something that comes along with age causes you to simmer a bit."

Morrison, who is 46-3-1, will face John Castle of Indianapolis in the four-round match, which is one of seven scheduled at Mountaineer. Castle's record is 4-2.

Copyright 2007 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed."

savafan
02-21-2007, 10:19 AM
Are you kidding me? That's a lawsuit and a half right there if I ever saw one.

JaxRed
02-21-2007, 10:26 AM
You want to assure people you don't have HIV, so you choose a state where they don't test your blood?.... Something ain't right there.....

Chip R
02-21-2007, 10:55 AM
I'm guessing this guy was involved somewhere in this process

http://www.worldwide-web.com/JeffreyBabad/Simpsons/Nick/nick.jpg

Razor Shines
02-21-2007, 11:27 AM
So what took so long? It's been 11 years and he's just now announcing he doesn't have HIV. I mean the doctor said that he's "healthy". Can you be "healthy" and still have HIV? What definition of healthy are we using?

savafan
02-21-2007, 12:54 PM
Good points RS1, Magic Johnson sure seems "healthy" too.

thatcoolguy_22
02-21-2007, 12:55 PM
Well see it all really started with a misdiagnosis from Kremchek and then... ;)

Razor Shines
02-21-2007, 12:57 PM
Good points RS1, Magic Johnson sure seems "healthy" too.

That's exactly who I was thinking of.

Gainesville Red
02-21-2007, 01:32 PM
He's on Dan Patrick right now. He may not be HIV Postive, but I'm almost Positive he's crazy.

BUTLER REDSFAN
02-21-2007, 03:49 PM
Well see it all really started with a misdiagnosis from Kremchek and then... ;)

Does this mean that Morrison is day to day but then tomorrow will be out for the rest of the year?

IowaRed
02-21-2007, 04:14 PM
He's on Dan Patrick right now. He may not be HIV Postive, but I'm almost Positive he's crazy.

that is one angry man

Gainesville Red
02-21-2007, 04:17 PM
When Morrison said he was gonna praise God straight to the bank, I laughed so hard I thought I was gonna lose it for a second. Got stern looks from the boss.

WMR
02-21-2007, 04:55 PM
Hmmm yeah why would you fight your FIRST fight since proclaiming your HIV-negative status in a state w/o mandatory blood testing? I sure as hell wouldn't be getting in the ring with him if I was a boxer or referee. Heck, I wouldn't want to be ringside or in the first several rows either.