PDA

View Full Version : Lonnie Wheeler asks 10 questions about the Reds...

Matt700wlw
02-21-2007, 03:03 PM
10 Questions Concerning the Reds

As spring training commences, what I’d most like to know about the Reds, in no particular order (as you can tell), is:

7. If, as they’ve indicated, they intend to file a grievance against the Nationals over the condition of Gary Majewski’s shoulder when he was acquired in July, why in the heck is it taking this long?

4. Will Brook Jacoby, the new hitting coach, make a tangible difference with Adam Dunn? Will Dunn’s improved eating habits make a difference? Will anything make a difference?

2. Why is it taken for granted that the Reds are beginning the spring with four established starting pitchers? What have Eric Milton (8-8, 5.19) and Kyle Lohse (5-10, 5.83) done to merit a bye? What if both of them are clearly outpitched in Florida by some combination of Kirk Saarloos, Matt Belisle, Victor Santos, Elizardo Ramirez and one or two others we’re not even considering yet? (We’ll discuss Homer Bailey later.)

9. Why is Joey Votto not generally regarded a candidate for the Opening Day roster? The big first baseman hit .319 with 22 home runs last year in Chattanooga. He’s 23, and there’s time, but in the meantime, does nobody think the Reds could just maybe use a bat like that?

3. What was the big secret about Junior’s hand injury? So he hurt it wrestling around with his kids. Is that worse than hurting it some other way? Is it worse than leading everyone to wonder whether there was something fishy going on?

5. Will Dick Pole, the pedigreed new pitching coach, be able to push back the fences at Great American?

1. What if Homer Bailey makes it obvious, during spring training, that he is the third best starter on the Cincinnati staff? Does that void his ticket to Louisville? When does caution give way to immediate need?

10. Can Josh Hamilton really play? I mean, right now? Can he hit a curveball? Can he track a line drive over his head? Emerging from his deep woods of personal problems, can he stay the course under big-league pressure?

8. Who’s going to make the decision on Griffey’s position? Is it up to him whether or not he stays in center field? Will somebody else – I guess that would be the manager – step up? Or, in order for a change to be seriously contemplated, will somebody like Chris Denorfia first have to demonstrate that he can play there every day; or at least on the many days that Ryan Freel needs a rest?

6. Is Krivsky finished?

Sea Ray
02-21-2007, 03:34 PM
Excellent questions. We could start a lengthy thread on any one of them.

Why are they out of order? Any particular rhyme or reason to posting them in something other than numerical order?

Some of these questions could be answered by management but most of them need to be answered on the field.

Grounds_Crew
02-21-2007, 03:36 PM
10 Questions Concerning the Reds

As spring training commences, what I’d most like to know about the Reds, in no particular order (as you can tell), is:

7. If, as they’ve indicated, they intend to file a grievance against the Nationals over the condition of Gary Majewski’s shoulder when he was acquired in July, why in the heck is it taking this long?

I feel the same way. What the heck is taking so long to get this all figured out? Even if it is figured out though, how in the world do you decide upon some sort of compensation?

4. Will Brook Jacoby, the new hitting coach, make a tangible difference with Adam Dunn? Will Dunn’s improved eating habits make a difference? Will anything make a difference?

Wow, I certainly hope so. As I've mentioned to you guys before, Dunn and Junior go out every day for batting practice an hour or so before the rest of the team. Obviously, that didn't help. We all know that if Dunner makes solid contact that he can hit it to Newport, but...can this coach help him make contact more consistently? Maybe we'll see Dunner spread the ball over the field more often this year rather than swinging for the yard. (although the yard shots are pretty cool)

2. Why is it taken for granted that the Reds are beginning the spring with four established starting pitchers? What have Eric Milton (8-8, 5.19) and Kyle Lohse (5-10, 5.83) done to merit a bye? What if both of them are clearly outpitched in Florida by some combination of Kirk Saarloos, Matt Belisle, Victor Santos, Elizardo Ramirez and one or two others we’re not even considering yet? (We’ll discuss Homer Bailey later.)

Exxxactly! I don't see why Milton and Lohse are given more and more opportunities. Granted, Milton has had his fair share of good outings, but come on, give me a break. This guy has had more bad games that Jeff Blake on the Bengals. Hopefully, this year, the Reds wont turn their shoulder on Bailey and give the kid a shot to see what he can do against big league hitters. I mean, if he gets rocked out there, then so be it because chances are that Milton would be getting rocked too. Let the kid learn from his mistakes.

3. What was the big secret about Junior’s hand injury? So he hurt it wrestling around with his kids. Is that worse than hurting it some other way? Is it worse than leading everyone to wonder whether there was something fishy going on?

I don't think anything "fishy" is going on. This is just a simple case of the media being the media when it comes to Junior.

5. Will Dick Pole, the pedigreed new pitching coach, be able to push back the fences at Great American?

Not without a bulldozer, haha. Chances are, that bulldozer may very well be a guy named Homer Bailey.

1. What if Homer Bailey makes it obvious, during spring training, that he is the third best starter on the Cincinnati staff? Does that void his ticket to Louisville? When does caution give way to immediate need?

This comment right here, "When does caution give way to immediate need?"....well, it couldn't have been said any better.

6. Is Krivsky finished?

Well, do we want him to be finished? Whether or not you are happy with what he's done so far, including getting rid of Felipe and Kearns, you have to give the guy credit. Why? Well, because he has attempted more moves toward success than O'Brien ever did. So, at least he's proactive and trying to put a fire under this organization and it's ballplayers. I'm really enjoying his efforts. Let's see if they work out!

Grounds_Crew
02-21-2007, 03:37 PM
Why are they out of order? Any particular rhyme or reason to posting them in something other than numerical order?

Read his second line...

justincredible
02-21-2007, 03:38 PM

That depends. Does he have a bulldozer of some sort?;)

Crap, grounds_crew beat me to it!

Grounds_Crew
02-21-2007, 03:40 PM
That depends. Does he have a bulldozer of some sort?;)

Crap, grounds_crew beat me to it!

:starwars:

Sea Ray
02-22-2007, 09:14 AM
Exxxactly! I don't see why Milton and Lohse are given more and more opportunities. Granted, Milton has had his fair share of good outings, but come on, give me a break. This guy has had more bad games that Jeff Blake on the Bengals. Hopefully, this year, the Reds wont turn their shoulder on Bailey and give the kid a shot to see what he can do against big league hitters. I mean, if he gets rocked out there, then so be it because chances are that Milton would be getting rocked too. Let the kid learn from his mistakes.

I don't think there's any mystery here. The reason they're penciled in as starters is because the organization is paying in excess of $12mill for their services in 2007. No question, money in this game does determine who plays.

EddieMilner
02-22-2007, 09:24 AM
Well, do we want him to be finished? Whether or not you are happy with what he's done so far, including getting rid of Felipe and Kearns, you have to give the guy credit. Why? Well, because he has attempted more moves toward success than O'Brien ever did. So, at least he's proactive and trying to put a fire under this organization and it's ballplayers. I'm really enjoying his efforts. Let's see if they work out!

I assumed this question was asking whether or not WK will be making any other moves, or is he finished with the Reds and this is the opening day team we will see.

deltachi8
02-22-2007, 09:48 AM
I think #2, 9, and 8 are the ost pressing questions...the rest, not as much.

Red Daddy
02-22-2007, 07:33 PM
Whether or not you are happy with what he's done so far, including getting rid of Felipe and Kearns, you have to give the guy credit.

On the surface right now, trading Lopez and Kearns was awful. Those two certainly have potential, but.....Lopez has weak defense, and Kearns is a health risk. Kearns has never done anything close to what we all thought he was going to do.

On the other hand Bray could end up being very good. Everyone seems to be high on him as a potential closer. Mewj. has been pretty good in the past. No one knew he was hurt except Bowden. The Reds really want to see if this guy is okay before they go forward with their grievance. I'm going to give this trade another year before I make up my mind!!

Sea Ray
02-22-2007, 09:30 PM
On the other hand Bray could end up being very good. Everyone seems to be high on him as a potential closer. Mewj. has been pretty good in the past. No one knew he was hurt except Bowden. The Reds really want to see if this guy is okay before they go forward with their grievance. I'm going to give this trade another year before I make up my mind!!

The guy is still not OK even after an entire off season. It's time to go ahead with the grievance