PDA

View Full Version : Got to love the mind of the professional ballplayer

M2
02-21-2007, 04:58 PM
So I just saw a report that Geoff Jenkins want's to be traded rather than be platooned with Kevin Mench.

This is the same Geoff Jenkins with a .723 career OPS vs. LHPs, compared to .892 vs. RHPs.

This is the same Geoff Jenkins who posted a .479 OPS vs. southpaws last season. Clearly he's insane.

pedro
02-21-2007, 05:06 PM
That will make a pretty nice platoon though.

Gainesville Red
02-21-2007, 05:08 PM
And here I thought Mench was the one with the big head.

pedro
02-21-2007, 05:12 PM
And here I thought Mench was the one with the big head.

touche!

BRM
02-21-2007, 05:14 PM
For those who like batting average, Jenkins hit .133 against lefties last year. I have a hunch that most teams would plan on platooning him in 2007.

M2
02-21-2007, 05:17 PM
For those who like batting average, Jenkins hit .133 against lefties last year. I have a hunch that most teams would plan on platooning him in 2007.

I imagine the Brewers will come back to him in another day or two and tell him that none of the other 29 teams in MLB want to play him vs. LHPs either.

BRM
02-21-2007, 05:21 PM
Here's an interesting quote from Jenkins on the issue:

"I'll always make sacrifices for the team," said Jenkins, 32. "If that makes us a better team, that's what you need to do. When Carlos got here, I gave up left for him to play. Now, I'm giving up right for Corey or whoever else."

As for those who say he can't hit lefties, Jenkins referred to his .256 career average against them before 2006.

"It was just one of those years," he said. "Sometimes you can't explain why things happen. For eight years, I hit them, and for one I didn't. I'll take that ratio. Unfortunately, the one I didn't was last year, so that's why everyone's all of a sudden, 'Let's platoon.'

TOBTTReds
02-21-2007, 05:53 PM
He should feel lucky that he is the LH batter in the platoon.

GAC
02-21-2007, 08:35 PM
Why is it hard for people to understand and comprehend the "mind" of an athlete when it comes to playing the game, and approach it from such an impersonal manner? What is Jenkins suppose to do? Get a subscription to Baseball Prospectus and consistently do a statistical analysis on his personal resume? - track his OPS, OB%, P/PA, BB/K, and RC27, and then go to the coach and cut his own throat? It ain't gonna happen.

The guy is an athlete, and he's being called "insane" for fighting for his job and livelihood?

MWM
02-21-2007, 08:40 PM
You don't need a subscription to BP to know Jenkins can't hit lefties. Trust me, he knows that better than any of us. And GAC, aren't you the one who started the thread the other about Mariano River's whining? Here we have another player who is publicly whining and asking for a trade because the the team who pays him a lot of money decided they'd prefer someone other than him hit the lefties they face this year. I'm not seeing a whole lot of difference there, Greg.

M2
02-21-2007, 09:53 PM
Here's an interesting quote from Jenkins on the issue:
As for those who say he can't hit lefties, Jenkins referred to his .256 career average against them before 2006.

Because you gots to play a .256 hitter. Does Jenkins realize he's making an argument for inventing time travel so that Milwaukee management could go back in time and prevent him from ever facing a lefty?

Danny Serafini
02-21-2007, 10:42 PM
What competitor doesn't want to play full time instead of sitting on the bench? I don't see the problem here. I'd rather have guys who want to play than ones that are content with not being able to.

GAC
02-22-2007, 08:36 AM
You don't need a subscription to BP to know Jenkins can't hit lefties. Trust me, he knows that better than any of us. And GAC, aren't you the one who started the thread the other about Mariano River's whining? Here we have another player who is publicly whining and asking for a trade because the the team who pays him a lot of money decided they'd prefer someone other than him hit the lefties they face this year. I'm not seeing a whole lot of difference there, Greg.

There is a big difference between a ballplayer who makes 10 Mil/year Mike and is equating more money with respect, to that of a ballplayer who isn't asking for more money, but wants to start and is fighting for/defending his job.

Put yourself in Jenkins shoes, or any ballplayer, for that matter. What would you do?

M2
02-22-2007, 09:42 AM
What competitor doesn't want to play full time instead of sitting on the bench? I don't see the problem here. I'd rather have guys who want to play than ones that are content with not being able to.

I agree with that, but Jenkins has gone a wee bit past it, hasn't he? He's demanding a trade if the Brewers won't play him everyday. If all he did was say he'd still like to play everyday that would be one thing. Instead he's turned it into high drama.

I understand that Jenkins can't afford to allow the mindset that he can't hit lefties (though he's never been very good at it), but insisting that he be sent out of town if someone else is superior at (and Mench is) is patently childish.

Johnny Footstool
02-22-2007, 10:01 AM
I'm a big fan of self-awareness. Know what you can do, and know what you can't.

flyer85
02-22-2007, 10:05 AM
He should feel lucky that he is the LH batter in the platoon.he should feel lucky he is going to be paid $7.5M in 2007

westofyou
02-22-2007, 10:11 AM
Some Reds fans lamented that the Reds didn't pick him up last August instead of Hollandsworth.

Now that would have been a bad move.

15fan
02-22-2007, 10:15 AM
If I was Doug Melvin, I'd tell him that I'd be happy to oblige his request.

Within 24 hours he'd be in either Kansas City or Tampa.

(Unless I could sell his rights to Japan.)

Even if I had to eat the entire contract.

Johnny Footstool
02-22-2007, 10:18 AM
If I was Doug Melvin, I'd tell him that I'd be happy to oblige his request.

Within 24 hours he'd be in either Kansas City or Tampa.

(Unless I could sell his rights to Japan.)

Even if I had to eat the entire contract.

I'd rather be in either of those places than in Milwaukee.

M2
02-22-2007, 10:21 AM

I can't speak for the quality of life in those three places, but when it comes to baseball, the Brewers have no excuse not to be a good team this year. Jenkins is literally trying to carp his way off the best team he's ever been on.

15fan
02-22-2007, 10:30 AM

I'm with you there.

As a pro baseball player, though, it's the equivalent of being sent to Siberia.

Rex Argos
02-22-2007, 11:48 AM

Totally agree. Competitors want to play, and they want to play on a winning team. But how many athletes do you know who think they can help their team the most by sitting down?

BRM
02-22-2007, 11:54 AM
Totally agree. Competitors want to play, and they want to play on a winning team. But how many athletes do you know who think they can help their team the most by sitting down?

Again, the issue here isn't the fact that Jenkins want to play everyday. I expect every athlete to want to play everyday. The issue is his demanding a trade if he has to platoon with Mench. It's one thing to say "I want to play". It's another thing entirely to say "play me or trade me".

M2
02-22-2007, 12:32 PM
Again, the issue here isn't the fact that Jenkins want to play everyday. I expect every athlete to want to play everyday. The issue is his demanding a trade if he has to platoon with Mench. It's one thing to say "I want to play". It's another thing entirely to say "play me or trade me".

Exactly, it's the fine line between clever (I want to help the team) and stupid (the team exists so that I can play everyday).

Johnny Footstool
02-22-2007, 12:57 PM

For me, it's that he's so unwilling/unable to admit his shortcomings that he takes offense when his team tries to overcome them.

On the flip side, you've got Trot Nixon, who can't hit lefties, knows it, and doesn't grouse.

Tom Servo
02-23-2007, 09:07 AM
Now Mench is saying he wants no part of only starting against lefties. So much for the Jenkins/Mench platoon the Brewers had planned.

BRM
02-23-2007, 09:44 AM
From Rotoworld:

Kevin Mench said he will "pitch a fit" if the Brewers go into the season with him starting only against left-handers.

This following on the heels of Geoff Jenkins saying he doesn't want to platoon may force the Brewers to pull off some sort of trade. Mench, though, is obviously in need of a reality check. The 29-year-old had a 733 OPS versus everyone last year and has a 746 OPS against right-handers in his career. That'd be nice if he played shortstop, but he's a corner outfielder and not a particularly good one. He still might have some decent years ahead of him as a full-time player, but he's hardly earned the right to have anything given to him.

M2
02-23-2007, 09:56 AM
I'd lock Jenkins and Mench in a room together with the instructions that two go in, one comes out.

Raisor
02-23-2007, 10:14 AM
I'd lock Jenkins and Mench in a room together with the instructions that two go in, one comes out.

THUNDERDOME!!!!!!!!

BRM
02-23-2007, 10:19 AM

If the Brewers were really lucky, neither would emerge.

WMR
02-23-2007, 10:27 AM
Jeez these two need to just shut up and do what their manager tells them.

Johnny Footstool
02-23-2007, 10:32 AM
THUNDERDOME!!!!!!!!

With his enormous dome, Mench does bear a striking resemblance to the helmeted "Blaster".

http://www.gunghoscifi.com/images/portfolio/sculpture/blaster/DSCF0337.jpg