PDA

View Full Version : Looks like Soto is back in camp

Dunner44
02-21-2007, 08:37 PM
Soto working with Victor Santos (http://cmsimg.enquirer.com/apps/pbcsi.dll/bilde?NewTbl=1&Avis=AB&Dato=20070221&Kategori=SPT04&Lopenr=702210805&Ref=PH&Item=8&MaxH=320&MaxW=375&Border=1)

I saw this picture browsing through the enquirer photo gallery today... It was of Soto working with Victor Santos, which got me really excited. I hadn't heard if he would be at camp again this year, so this is excellent news. I remember the Liz attributed a lot of his early success to Soto working with his change, so having him back is good news for Reds fans!

Superdude
02-21-2007, 09:42 PM
Soto might be the only coach I've ever been excited about...and he's not even really a coach. We need to make him the official minor league changeup instructor.

Chip R
02-21-2007, 10:33 PM
He should make an instructional video on how to throw the change-up.

Redlegs
02-21-2007, 10:48 PM
Homer Bailey will benefit greatly from Mario. Soto proved when you have a good fastball and great changeup, you can be filthy. He's probably my favorite all-time non Big Red Machine player for the Reds. Such a shame he played during one of the darkest periods in team history.

Mario-Rijo
02-21-2007, 11:07 PM
Definitely nice to see him back!! That's going to prove huge this year as well.

Superdude
02-21-2007, 11:17 PM

I wonder how he would feel about teaming up with Tom Emanski & the Crime Dog for the greatest instructional video in human history?

Gallen5862
02-21-2007, 11:24 PM
This is great news having Soto back.

jmac
02-21-2007, 11:55 PM
Soto was one of the best pitchers at a time when the reds weren't on top of things.
Having him around is great news.

jmcclain19
02-22-2007, 01:00 AM
What stunned me about Soto is how many guys last year pointed out how much he helped them last spring.

For a "non" coach, that's pretty darn impressive. Maybe it's that freshness that helps him make an impact. But the Reds need to keep him happy and keep him around.

jmcclain19
02-22-2007, 01:05 AM
I wonder how he would feel about teaming up with Tom Emanski & the Crime Dog for the greatest instructional video in human history?

http://img186.imageshack.us/img186/1680/emanskimcgriffqe4.jpg

dougdirt
02-22-2007, 02:14 AM
I just hope he can help out Homer with his change up issues.

icehole3
02-22-2007, 07:40 AM
http://thesandtrap.com//imgs/pga/fred_funk_fist_pump.jpg

MrCinatit
02-22-2007, 07:42 AM
Even if he only stays around in the spring, it would be great if he helped the club every spring.
Nice to see he is back for a second year in a row...this is the type of trend I could live with.

MikeS21
02-22-2007, 07:48 AM
Best I remember, didn't Mario say last year how impressed he was with Bailey? It would seem to me that the Reds would make Bailey Soto's special project of the spring.

Caveat Emperor
02-22-2007, 08:42 AM

I see back-to-back-to-back championships in Cincinnati's future if they could ever have a video like that.

Strikes Out Looking
02-22-2007, 09:06 AM

Unfortunately, if it were on video, the Cards would get a hold of it, and then kill the Reds with their own weapon. I think Mario should work with the Reds pitchers in a top secret facility away from the prying eyes of LaRussa and others.

RANDY IN INDY
02-22-2007, 09:17 AM
Soto was dominant. He was great when the Reds were awful. It would have been amazing to have had him on the great Reds teams of the 70's. He had a mentality that you just can't teach.

HalMorrisRules
02-22-2007, 09:37 AM
Soto might be the only coach I've ever been excited about...and he's not even really a coach. We need to make him the official minor league changeup instructor.

I've often wondered if Mario doesnt want to work full time in baseball. He might just enjoy the occasional chances to work with the Reds and that satisfies him. I cant imagine that the Reds wouldnt have had some interest in him for a longer term position.

Redlegs
02-22-2007, 09:55 AM
His battles with Claudell Washington were classic. I also remember watching a game from the left coast one night when he came in high and tight on Dusty Baker. Dusty gave him a look and Soto came back with an "F" bomb as you could clearly read his lips. I remember Dusty didn't want any part of Soto.

Chip R
02-22-2007, 10:07 AM
I've often wondered if Mario doesnt want to work full time in baseball. He might just enjoy the occasional chances to work with the Reds and that satisfies him. I cant imagine that the Reds wouldnt have had some interest in him for a longer term position.

He did do some work for LOU last year but had to go back home to tend to his business. Perhaps he's had enough of the big league life style.

Dunner44
02-22-2007, 03:46 PM
He did do some work for LOU last year but had to go back home to tend to his business. Perhaps he's had enough of the big league life style.

Yeah, if i remember correctly, he was an interim pitching coach at AAA last year, but I don't know for how long.

flyer85
02-22-2007, 03:56 PM
I just hope he can help out Homer with his change up issues.Soto was a two pitch pitcher. When you have 2 dominating pitches(by all accounts Baileys curve is extremely nasty), you generally do the batter a favor by throwing your 3rd pitch.

jimbo
02-22-2007, 04:52 PM
I say to he!! with using Soto as a coach. The guy looks like he still throw 90+, put him on the mound.

Soto is one of my all-time favorite Reds pitchers (ok, I know there isn't too many great ones to choose from). As a fan, you just had to love the fire he had in him whenever he was on the mound. I wish some of the pitchers in the Reds organization would not only learn his changeup, but also pitch with some of that same fire.

lollipopcurve
02-22-2007, 05:18 PM
I wish some of the pitchers in the Reds organization would not only learn his changeup

I don't think you learn another pitcher's pitch. You might learn about the pitch -- the grip, mechanics, situational strategy, etc -- but it doesn't follow that you then can execute the pitch the same way another pitcher did. Not even close.

fisch11
02-22-2007, 05:19 PM
The thought of a Soto changeup in Homer's arsenal.......oh, baby.

StillFunkyB
02-22-2007, 08:05 PM
Soto was dominant. He was great when the Reds were awful. It would have been amazing to have had him on the great Reds teams of the 70's. He had a mentality that you just can't teach.

It would have been pointless to even play the games. :thumbup:

Ltlabner
02-22-2007, 08:10 PM

Soto is one of my favorites. Like you say, talk about bad timing. If he had only been on a 1/2 decent team....wow.

It's great to hear he is helping out the staff again this year. If he can help a Loshe or Saarloos make the sort of progression that apparently he helped The Lizzard make last year, that would be a fantastic boost to the Reds.

vaticanplum
02-22-2007, 08:23 PM
I miss Soto too. there were several years there when I was quite a dormant Reds fan...he was one of the few players who really struck me during this time.

LexingtonRedsFan
02-22-2007, 09:33 PM
IIRC, didnt Coffey talk about Soto's influence with him on his change up...of course, i believe he also said that he didnt use it much during the season...so I wonder.....if Coffey gets more "tutalege" from Soto and this being the 2nd season, would it make Todd more comfortable to use the change up this season?

Superdude
02-22-2007, 09:40 PM
didnt Coffey talk about Soto's influence with him on his change up...of course, i believe he also said that he didnt use it much during the season

I remember him using it a lot early in the season almost as a second out-pitch, and getting really good results. At some point in the season though, it looked to me like he basically scrapped it. Not sure why.

OnBaseMachine
02-25-2007, 01:11 AM
Soto on Saarloos:

On the 'loos'

Former Reds ace Super Mario Soto is in camp again working with the pitchers and teaching one of the best change-ups ever possessed by any pitcher.

Asked if any pitcher has impressed him this spring after a week of throwing, he said, "All the pitchers are looking up to me, from last year, but so far I can see Kirk Saarloos being real nasty. If he throws strikes, he's real good. His ball moves, never goes straight."

Saarloos remains one of several candidates for the fifth spot in the rotation and has bullpen experience.

https://www.daytondailynews.com/userreg/userreg/userregclass/portal_login.jsp?SendBackURL=%2Fsports%2Fcontent%2 Fsports%2Freds%2Findex.html&UrUsecase=800100

icehole3
02-25-2007, 10:28 AM
His battles with Claudell Washington were classic. I also remember watching a game from the left coast one night when he came in high and tight on Dusty Baker. Dusty gave him a look and Soto came back with an "F" bomb as you could clearly read his lips. I remember Dusty didn't want any part of Soto.

Soto was Pedro before Pedro, my most vivid memory was he came in once from the bullpen before he was a starter and pitched something like 7 or 8 innings of relief, I think it was against the Pirates unheard of now a days.