PDA

View Full Version : OSU/Wisconsin B-ball sunday---are you psyched?

redsfan1966
02-21-2007, 11:53 PM
Ok, even though Wisconsin spit the bit on Tuesday against Michigan State and the Bucks almost gagged against PSU tonite...who is jacked up about the OSU vs. Wisconsin game on Sunday--this is definitely the biggest game for OSU hoops since well, errr, uhhh last year, I guess...anyone going??? anyone making plans for the game?? Just a C-Bus poster who is wondering...

Caseyfan21
02-22-2007, 12:05 AM
Can't wait for the game...I will be there as every other home game this season. The crowd tonight was pretty loud trying to pick the Bucks up so I think it will be a crazy atmosphere Sunday. No matter who won and lost this week, it's still #1 vs. #2 with a Bucks win clinching their second straight Big 10 title.

Spring~Fields
02-22-2007, 12:18 AM
Should be an exciting game, hope Ohio State remembers to play from start to finish, they will need the entire time alotted. :eek:

max venable
02-22-2007, 01:30 AM
I was at the Penn St. game tonight. It was a bit of a stinker. But you know what? I'm more down on the crowd than I am the team. Here we have a team who's #1 in the nation...playing for a Big Ten title...and people were not making noise. It was pathetic.

I sat in the front row (not the seats right on the floor, but the row right behind them) and I had an usher come over to me during play and tell me to sit down because the people behind me were not able to see. Good grief!

But I still had fun. Hey, the Bucks won. And yes, I'm pumped for Sunday's game. Do you know it's the first time in Big Ten history that #1 has faced #2? Pretty cool.

BTW, OSU has to win this game if they want a #1 seed in the tourney, IMO.

RedFanAlways1966
02-22-2007, 08:50 AM
And yes, I'm pumped for Sunday's game. Do you know it's the first time in Big Ten history that #1 has faced #2? Pretty cool.

In basketball... of course they had a #1 vs. #2 game a few months ago in another sport! :)

max venable
02-22-2007, 09:26 AM
In basketball... of course they had a #1 vs. #2 game a few months ago in another sport! :)

Isn't it pretty amazing that the football team played in three 1 vs. 2 games this year and now the B-ball team is playing in the Big Ten's first ever 1 vs. 2.

I'll say this, though...the Bucks are going to have to play a lot better Sunday than they did last night.

oneupper
02-22-2007, 09:46 AM

...and just as time proved those two (in football) weren't really #1 and #2. The same will happen in B-ball.

Unassisted
02-22-2007, 10:02 AM
I was at the Penn St. game tonight. It was a bit of a stinker. But you know what? I'm more down on the crowd than I am the team. Here we have a team who's #1 in the nation...playing for a Big Ten title...and people were not making noise. It was pathetic.

This is nothing new at Ohio State. It was happening when I lived in the Columbus area back in the 80's. It happens because a large percentage of season-ticket holders are faculty and staff and they're concentrated on the lower level, thanks to years of season-ticket holding seniority. Faculty and staff have been proven through university research to be 20x less likely to paint their faces scarlet or raise their voices during games. ;)

Caseyfan21
02-22-2007, 10:03 AM
I'm more down on the crowd than I am the team. Here we have a team who's #1 in the nation...playing for a Big Ten title...and people were not making noise. It was pathetic.

I sat in the front row (not the seats right on the floor, but the row right behind them) and I had an usher come over to me during play and tell me to sit down because the people behind me were not able to see. Good grief!

Actually, having been at every home game since Christmas and a few before, I thought it was one of the louder crowds which is pathetic. Other than the MSU game, Tennessee (at the end), and maybe Purdue towards the end, the crowds have been terrible. And I do think it's terrible all of the older season ticket holders that won't stand and get into the game.

Thad has voiced his opinion to have the students down in the lower bowl all around like at Duke and many, many students have wanted to do this for awhile but the season ticket holders refuse to give up their precious seats and then they don't get into games. I'm in the upper deck and while I will yell, it just seems silly for me to stand up or constantly yell because I'm so far away, who will hear me anyways? I yelled and got more into games during high school than I do OSU games because I was actually close enough that I felt yelling would make a difference. With all of the students in the upper deck, there really isn't even much point in screaming ourselves hoarse because it's not even too loud with the way the Schott is set up.

RedsManRick
02-22-2007, 10:04 AM
On Wisconsin! (though my money would be on OSU... don't tell Bucky)

Danny Serafini
02-22-2007, 10:19 AM
It would be better if Wisconsin wasn't coming in off a loss, that takes a little luster off of it, but I'm still looking forward to the game.

redsfan30
02-22-2007, 10:24 AM
I'm pumped!

Chip R
02-22-2007, 10:41 AM
Do you know it's the first time in Big Ten history that #1 has faced #2? Pretty cool.

OSU as the #1 team in the nation faced the #2 team in the nation (Michigan) for the Big 10 championship in football. Now OSU as the #1 team in the nation is facing the #2 team in the nation for the Big 10 championship in basketball. I wonder if that's ever happened before? If it has, was the #1 team the same school in both football and basketball?

Spring~Fields
02-22-2007, 11:39 AM
I'll say this, though...the Bucks are going to have to play a lot better Sunday than they did last night.

I don't want to be negative but, do any of us "really" see Ohio State beating Wisconsin? Still should be a great game to see.

redsfan30
02-22-2007, 11:40 AM
I don't want to be negative but, do any of us "really" see Ohio State beating Wisconsin? Still should be a great game to see.

Yes.

Danny Serafini
02-22-2007, 11:57 AM
Yes. After all, Wisconsin just got smacked by a team OSU swept.

bucksfan
02-22-2007, 01:37 PM
I am very much looking forward to it. I am hoping the Badgers bring out the best in the Bucketes, from a perspective of sustained intensity and solid decision making. Those are both things the team lacks, as can be somewhat expected with their make-up. For as much complaining as I hear about how the Buckeyes are playing (not speaking about this board, but in general), at the start of the year I said there was no way this year's team woul dmatch last year's record. Now it looks like they should. There is so much room for improvement giventhe current peronnel also. I think it will come down to tempo a shot selection for the BUckeyes. If I were Wisky I'd zone the hweck out of us and dare us to shoot 45%+ from outside the arc for both halves.

BRM
02-22-2007, 01:41 PM

It's a home game for the Buckeyes. I can see them winning.

redsfan30
02-22-2007, 02:58 PM
By the way, the game is set for a 4:00 tip. I believe it was originally scheduled as a 1:00 tip.

BuckWoody
02-22-2007, 03:01 PM
I can't wait for the game on Sunday, in all its high definition goodness. :thumbup:

The Buckeyes haven't impressed me as anything beyond a Sweet 16 team to this point. They just seem to have too much trouble putting teams away like they should; just look at the last two games against Penn State in the last week. When they start getting into the cream of the NCAA crop, I think that will catch up with them. I think that it's a product of their youth more than anything and I'm hoping that the Big 10 tournament will give them that little added experience that they need to get to Atlanta.

If they do happen to make to the final game, that will be one helluva Opening Day. The Reds over the Cubbies in the afternoon then the Bucks that night for the title. Here's hoping! :pray:

Caseyfan21
02-22-2007, 03:15 PM
The column in the Dispatch today was spot on with what I was feeling about Oden needing more touches on offense. I said the same thing that author said at the game last night "Thad should make it a rule that Oden touches the ball every offensive possession before anyone is allowed to shoot it."

Why Thad continues to allow guards to chuck up 3 pointers when Oden has his man sealed against his back hip is amazing to me. Even if Oden immediately gets doubled he has shown the ability to pass out of the double team and find open teammates.

bucksfan
02-22-2007, 04:33 PM
The column in the Dispatch today was spot on with what I was feeling about Oden needing more touches on offense. I said the same thing that author said at the game last night "Thad should make it a rule that Oden touches the ball every offensive possession before anyone is allowed to shoot it."

Why Thad continues to allow guards to chuck up 3 pointers when Oden has his man sealed against his back hip is amazing to me. Even if Oden immediately gets doubled he has shown the ability to pass out of the double team and find open teammates.

I tend to agree, but I guess this "free reign" for the outside shots has been his MO for the most part. I'd at least limit Lewis in this regard though. He can get hot sometimes, but that catapult of a shot is not going to be consistent. I think I'd tell Ron he needs to take the ball to the hole at least 3x for every 3 he jacks up.

Interesting lineup for most of the 2nd half against the Lions. I have to imagine Harris and especially Hunter, wil see more floor time vs. Wisky.

max venable
02-22-2007, 06:12 PM
I don't want to be negative but, do any of us "really" see Ohio State beating Wisconsin?

Let's see...OSU lost by three points AT Wisconsin.

MSU exposed Wisconsin.

OSU always seems to play to the caliber of their opponents.

Yes, I "really" see Ohio State beating Wisconsin.

At the same time, I won't be shocked if they lose.

Go Bucks!

redsfan1966
02-22-2007, 06:29 PM
I will be watching this game in front of the tube, while also trying to follow the nascar race...I have not been fortunate enough to get tix...but I am pumped...and yes I "really" see the Bucks beating the Badgers...I will however be in the Schott the nite before for OSU vs. Michigan in hockey...so I maybe I can leave some good karma...

Grounds_Crew
02-22-2007, 07:16 PM
I also feel that Greg Oden needs several more offensive touches per game. I mean, his defense alone should earn him the opportunity to touch the ball on the offensive end of the floor. He blocks shots left and right, and if he isn't sending the shot back where it came from then he's altering the shooters' approach to the basket. He has proven that, on the lower block, he is a force to be reckoned with. Even with his left hand, he has been able to make the hook or the turn around shot close to the basket.

With that said, OSU needs to have him and Hunter on the floor at the same time. If they can stay out of foul trouble, having both of them on the floor will create great defensive pressure down low as well as provide great opportunities for rebounding. Don't forget, Hunter can be quite good on offense as well. So, let's give Wisconsin a little trouble down under and pound the ball to to Oden or Hunter.

Conley Jr is going to have to play a well focused game and keep the offense centered around Oden. If the Buckeyes do that, it is my opinion that they can not only win, but for once they can prove that they belong at the top of the rankings.

Another thing to consider about Oden is the amount of attention he is receiving from the NBA. He is already being called the next "great" big man. So, why not make him great right now...and on Sunday!

redsfan30
02-22-2007, 11:48 PM
If they do happen to make to the final game, that will be one helluva Opening Day. The Reds over the Cubbies in the afternoon then the Bucks that night for the title. Here's hoping! :pray:

That might be my dream sports day. Actually, there's no MIGHT about it!

Caseyfan21
02-23-2007, 12:09 AM
With that said, OSU needs to have him and Hunter on the floor at the same time. If they can stay out of foul trouble, having both of them on the floor will create great defensive pressure down low as well as provide great opportunities for rebounding. Don't forget, Hunter can be quite good on offense as well. So, let's give Wisconsin a little trouble down under and pound the ball to to Oden or Hunter.

As the driver of the Othello Hunter bandwagon, welcome aboard. I just see so much talent in this guy that I don't know why he doesn't play more minutes. He seems to play good defense, rebound, and his offense is developing. I just can't see why Ivan Harris is still starting over him (and Lewis over Cook as well). My favorite 5 since Big 10 play started would be Butler, Conley, Oden, Hunter, and Cook.

Spring~Fields
02-23-2007, 12:56 AM
OK I will just accept the young optimist here who have the sight and say go Bucks!!! :)

Mutaman
02-23-2007, 04:01 AM
I just hope nobody tries to choke Alando like that jerk did to poor Jim Sorgi a few years ago. A very sad commentary on the OSU athletic program. And the Badgers won anyhow.

max venable
02-23-2007, 09:47 AM
I just hope nobody tries to choke Alando like that jerk did to poor Jim Sorgi a few years ago. A very sad commentary on the OSU athletic program. And the Badgers won anyhow.

Yeah...let's see how we can work a totally irrelevant-happened years ago-non-related bone-headed statement into this thread.

Yeah, you might want to watch out for the choking thing. That's part of the gameplan.

:rolleyes:

BRM
02-23-2007, 11:12 AM
I'm more pumped for the Indiana/Michigan State game tomorrow night. ;)

Razor Shines
02-23-2007, 12:33 PM
I'm more pumped for the Indiana/Michigan State game tomorrow night. ;)

My Hoosiers need that one in a bad way. We need a big road win.

BRM
02-23-2007, 01:08 PM
My Hoosiers need that one in a bad way. We need a big road win.

No doubt. They have struggled on the road towards the end of the season.

michst
02-23-2007, 02:46 PM
Hoosiers :) won't win at the Breslin Center - Mark it down! :)

Mutaman
02-23-2007, 03:25 PM
Yeah, you might want to watch out for the choking thing. That's part of the gameplan.

:rolleyes:

Well it better not be.

Grounds_Crew
02-24-2007, 12:51 PM
Ok, tomorrow is the big day and they are hyping it up on TV as we speak. So, let's keep this thread alive guys.

Conley and Oden have a big game tomorrow...check that!

Caseyfan21
02-24-2007, 12:57 PM

Wow, that's totally relevant; different sports, different circumstances, different athletes.

The only one choking in the Schott tomorrow will be the Wisconsin team. :)

Here's to a big game for Oden and another outright Big 10 title for the Bucks! :beerme:

Grounds_Crew
02-24-2007, 12:59 PM
Here's to a big game for Oden and another outright Big 10 title for the Bucks! :beerme:

Now...THAT'S what I'm talking about! :beerme:

OSUredsFAN
02-24-2007, 05:04 PM
GO BUCKS!!!!

redsfan1966
02-25-2007, 12:07 PM
i will be watching this game intently...so I may post afterward but not during.....GO BUCKS...and props to the OSU hockey bucks on their beatdown of Michigan last night on senior nite...

redsfan1966
02-25-2007, 12:08 PM
"the only thing choking in the Schott tommorrow will be the Wisconsin team" amen, Casefan21...O-H-I-O

BuckWoody
02-25-2007, 12:11 PM
Go Bucks!!http://buckeyes.homestead.com/files/bcukleaf.gif

Here's what the ESPN users think so far:

captainmorgan07
02-25-2007, 03:31 PM
buckeyes by 7 oden will atone for his bad game last time these 2 teams play ron lewis lights it up from deep with 4 triples

Outshined_One
02-25-2007, 04:47 PM
http://img73.imageshack.us/img73/6103/250pxbuckybadgergraphicvo0.gif

Enough said. :D

Grounds_Crew
02-25-2007, 05:23 PM
buckeyes by 7 oden will atone for his bad game last time these 2 teams play ron lewis lights it up from deep with 4 triples

Was that engrish?

Outshined_One
02-25-2007, 05:51 PM
Dislocated elbow for Brian Butch...owwwwwwww!!!! :(

Grounds_Crew
02-25-2007, 05:53 PM
Buckeyes are looking good defensively, but they need to rebound more. If they can do that, then they will be able to win this game.

max venable
02-25-2007, 06:09 PM
Low-scoring but the pace seems to favor the Buckeyes' style of play.

They look good defensively but yes, they need to do a better job on the boards.

Butch going down is a tough break for Wisc. Bummer.

Refs need to start calling some fouls...is it possible to get homered on your own court?

Grounds_Crew
02-25-2007, 06:18 PM
Exactly, Oden gets raped on every possession and nothing is called. I bet he gets so fed up with that.

Playadlc
02-25-2007, 07:06 PM
Chris Rock just cost Wisconsin the Big Ten title.

Grounds_Crew
02-25-2007, 07:09 PM
...annnnnd Ohio State is Victorious....

O - H ....

kbrake
02-25-2007, 07:09 PM
I cant believe the way teams are allowed to abuse Oden. I dont like complaining about officiating especially after a win, but its a joke. I dont know how Oden hasnt just snapped and gone nuts yet.

Grounds_Crew
02-25-2007, 07:21 PM
are there any real Buckeyes fans in here? I've been left hanging twice on the Buckeye chant.

kbrake
02-25-2007, 07:24 PM
my bad, I was too busy with the rant.

I-O!

Grounds_Crew
02-25-2007, 07:25 PM
my bad, I was too busy with the rant.

I-O!

:beerme: There we go! Thanks buddy!

Mutaman
02-25-2007, 07:26 PM
I cant believe the way teams are allowed to abuse Oden. I dont like complaining about officiating especially after a win, but its a joke. I dont know how Oden hasnt just snapped and gone nuts yet.

Please. Its the Big 10, let them play. The game was consistently called on both ends.

Really tough loss, but the Badgers gave it all they had under tough circumstances. Two fine well coached teams and I hope we meet again this year. But you've got to hit those free throws, Kam.

I can't resist. You're ranked #1, you win at home by 1 point. Is it really necessary to storm the court? That's why we all love O$U.

Grounds_Crew
02-25-2007, 07:30 PM
Please. Its the Big 10, let them play. The game was consistently called on both ends.

Really tough loss, but the Badgers gave it all they had under tough circumstances. Two fine well coached teams and I hope we meet again this year. But you've got to hit those free throws, Kam.

I can't resist. You're ranked #1, you win at home by 1 point. Is it really necessary to storm the court? That's why we all love O$U.

Hey, it was a big victory...let the fans celebrate. It was in fact a great game, maybe even the best I've seen all year in the NCAA.

Oh, and you're crazy if you think that Oden isn't getting raped down under. You may think I'm speaking on a biased perspective, but anyone can see that he gets his jersey yanked and his arms hacked during the entire game. I don't mean this game in particular either, it happens during each and every game. Teams come in with a game plan to control Oden, everyone knows that. The moral of the story though is that game after game, he's consistently abused down under and the refs don't call it.

Hoosier Red
02-25-2007, 07:34 PM
My brother went to Wake Forest and he has a very different thought on this than I do.

He was fine with rushing the court every time Wake beat Duke or UNC, even if Wake was ranked higher.

At IU, I was never for storming the court, but I've softened after 10 years of mediocrity and sub-mediocrity.

Still I think there should be a few rules.

1) Has to be a top 5 team
2) Has to be ranked higher than you
3) Has to be a close game. There's no rushing the court when you win by 20. The game last year when Coach K pulled his starters because he knew the other teams fans were going to storm the court is what made me think of this one.

Grounds_Crew
02-25-2007, 07:38 PM
So, by stating that there should be rules for such a thing is basically a notion to tell these fans to limit their emotions for their team.

I don't see anything wrong with it as long as no one gets injured. People always say, "let the guys play" referring to the players on the court. Well, whatever happened to letting the fans be fans? Regardless of the similar rankings, this was a huge game with huge implications such that OSU may have sealed the deal to earn a #1 seed in the tournament. So, are you guys saying that earning the #1 seed isn't huge? Especially when the critics and analysts are saying that OSU doesn't deserve to be ranked so high, and that a #1 seed is out of the question.

kbrake
02-25-2007, 07:39 PM

Just because its the Big 10 does not mean you should be able to beat the crap out of a guy just cause he is bigger than everyone on your team. Its pathetic they could drop kick Oden and he would get called for a travel.

You clinch your conference title, storm the court all you want.

Mutaman
02-25-2007, 07:40 PM
Hey, it was a big victory...let the fans celebrate. It was in fact a great game, maybe even the best I've seen all year in the NCAA.

Oh, and you're crazy if you think that Oden isn't getting raped down under. You may think I'm speaking on a biased perspective, but anyone can see that he gets his jersey yanked and his arms hacked during the entire game. I don't mean this game in particular either, it happens during each and every game. Teams come in with a game plan to control Oden, everyone knows that. The moral of the story though is that game after game, he's consistently abused down under and the refs don't call it.

Cry, whine, cry, whine. I think your speaking on a biased perspective (sic). The Buckeyes shot 13 free throws and the Badgers shot 6. And Bo Ryan teams hardly ever shoot less free throws than their opponents. So get over it.

Grounds_Crew
02-25-2007, 07:46 PM
Cry, whine, cry, whine. I think your speaking on a biased perspective (sic). The Buckeyes shot 13 free throws and the Badgers shot 6. And Bo Ryan teams hardly ever shoot less free throws than their opponents. So get over it.

Get over it? No one is crying. We're just trying to have a good old fashioned sports conversation here. Apparently you resulted in being the cry baby by getting defensive. It was a great game that could've gone either way. We were just making a statement that game in and game out, Oden is abused and seldom rewarded by a trip to the line. Settle down buddy.

By the way, if you're going to attempt to call me a cry baby, you should make sure you know how to spell on at least a 3rd grade level before hand.

Conference title = storm the court all you want!

Mutaman
02-25-2007, 08:12 PM
By the way, if you're going to attempt to call me a cry baby, you should make sure you know how to spell on at least a 3rd grade level before hand.

I just gave Grounds Crew rep points for having the courage to complain about someone's typos (which appear to be imaginary) on an internet board. Sorry, buddy, my secretary didn't come in this weekend and I'm too lazy to spell check. I know this detracts from the merits of my argument, and itís awfully insightful for you to catch me. I won't let it happen again.

Falls City Beer
02-25-2007, 08:17 PM
It doesn't matter in the grand scheme: NC would pound either team. I'll bet my house that the national champion doesn't come from the Big Ten.

GAC
02-25-2007, 08:17 PM

Wait till he gets to the NBA. ;)

Low scoring game, but what a finish. Wow!

It doesn't matter in the grand scheme: NC would pound either team. I'll bet my house that the national champion doesn't come from the Big Ten.

I wouldn't take that bet. The tourney is one strange animal. I could see either of today's teams though making it to the elite 8.

Mutaman
02-25-2007, 08:25 PM

I might take that bet (although i'd like to wait until i'm in a better mood to think about it). Noah, seems to be sick or injured so Florida is no longer invicible. I think Georgetown is playing as good as anyone in the country right now and both O$U and the Badgers can play with them. What kind of odds are you offering? How much is your house worth?

Grounds_Crew
02-25-2007, 08:42 PM
I just gave Grounds Crew rep points for having the courage to complain about someone's typos (which appear to be imaginary) on an internet board. Sorry, buddy, my secretary didn't come in this weekend and I'm too lazy to spell check. I know this detracts from the merits of my argument, and it’s awfully insightful for you to catch me. I won't let it happen again.

I figured since you hit me with the, "cry..whine" reply that I could hit you with something as lame as a grammar lesson. Oh, and for the record my statement wasn't imaginary. You spelled "your" when the correct choice should have been "you're".

I think your speaking on a biased perspective (sic).

The point of my reply wasn't necessarily about the typo, but rather that you got incredibly defensive about our claims on Greg Oden. I'm guessing that you are a Badgers fan. I don't really know for sure because I didn't read this entire thread. Anyway, I don't think that you can make an accurate argument about Oden and the lack of fouls that are called in his favor. Why? Well, because if you're a Badgers fan then I'm guessing that you haven't followed as many OSU games as the rest of us. So, without seeing all of them, how can you make a credible argument?

Of course Oden will receive the same kind of abuse in the NBA, but you have to realize that he will get paid for it.

So, I'll drop the nonsense, but you can reply however you'd like. I'll gladly give you reputation points in return since you provided me with some in a sarcastic manor.

Spring~Fields
02-25-2007, 09:20 PM
Congrats to the visionaries who "really" could see this. :clap: I know I never saw it.

RedFanAlways1966
02-25-2007, 09:20 PM
I'm guessing that you are a Badgers fan. I don't really know for sure because I didn't read this entire thread.

You might say that Mutaman likes to Badger OSU fans. You are new here, but he has been Badgering the Buckeye rooters for awhile at this site. He is pretty loyal to his fav team. I think he realizes that there is a large contingent of Buckeye rooters on this board and enjoys the Badgering. I can't speak for him, but he has been pretty consistent in this regard on RZ.

As a loyal Buckeye fan I take it with a grain of salt. If OSU wasn't so good at hoops and with the pigskin, he wouldn't be that way. And Wisconsin is pretty good at both too. So in a twisted way I am glad that the loyal Wisconsin fan, Mutaman, likes to Badger us Buckeyes. I doubt that he does it to Northwestern fans! :)

Exciting game. Seems hard to believe that these are the two best teams in NCAA D-I after today's game. Neither team seemed that dominating. At least not like some top teams in past years. 49-48 score... great D or just bad O? Of course when your star center is getting mugged and pillaged (like Robert Reynolds choking Jim Sorgi)... and only gets a whistle for traveling each time, it is tough to run your offense. Cook and Harris had rough games too.

Still a good game that was close throughout. Went right down to the wire.

Reds Freak
02-25-2007, 09:38 PM
After really getting into college basketball these past couple weeks after football ended, I don't see a huge difference between any of the teams in the top 25. No real elite teams or group of teams this year. Should make for a very interesting March...

Mutaman
02-25-2007, 09:39 PM
[QUOTE=RedFanAlways1966;1249484]

I doubt that he does it to Northwestern fans! :)
QUOTE]

Actually over the last few years, at least in football, Northwestern has been a lot tougher on the Badgers than OSU. And i respect the fact that, unlike some schools, Northwestern players actually have to go to class. :)

And i like Oden. He seems like a bright hardworking kid who handles the pressure well. I hope he gets drafted #1 and doesn't stick around next year.

And I appreciate the complaints of the OSU fans that poor little 7' 3" Greg Oden keeps getting beat up by big mean old 6'7" Jason Chappell. :)

max venable
02-25-2007, 09:50 PM
So winning the Big Ten title after beating the #1 (or #2) ranked team in the country doesn't qualify as a good enough reason to storm the court? Geez. Why not just take it as a sign of respect for the Badgers.

It was a great effort by both teams...and a poor effort by the officials.

max venable
02-25-2007, 09:57 PM
BTW, the Buckeyes are now 3-1 in games pairing #1 vs. #1 this year. Not too shabby (although they lost the most important one). :bang:

GAC
02-25-2007, 10:06 PM

And OSU is the only school that does this? It's what fans do, and why they follow their respective teams. :mooner:

Mutaman
02-25-2007, 10:12 PM
And OSU is the only school that does this? It's what fans do, and why they follow their respective teams. :mooner:

No OSU isn't the only school who does this, but it wouldn't have happened in Madison and I don't think it would have happened in Ann Arbor. Just a matter of class.

Grounds_Crew
02-25-2007, 10:20 PM
No OSU isn't the only school who does this, but it wouldn't have happened in Madison and I don't think it would have happened in Ann Arbor. Just a matter of class.

Ann Arbor...class? Oh, that was a dagger in the heart of every Buckeye in here!

GAC
02-25-2007, 10:21 PM

Winning the title wouldn't cause their fans to storm the court or tear down a goal post, etc? Then they must be dead. :lol:

Is it class when Badger fans freeze pennies and pelt the opposing team's players when they run onto the football field?

redsfan1966
02-25-2007, 10:23 PM
Awesome game....and I'm glad to be one of the "visionaries" who saw the outcome (heh heh)...I would have posted earlier, but I got wrapped up in the end of the Nascar race--and then of all things, the Blue Jackets vs. Nashville (of course the CBJ lost--at least they put up a fight). Unfortunately, the house computer isnt near my TV set-up. I will admit I havent been into college basketball on an overall basis this year as I have in the past...watching just primarily OSU games--but I will agree I would have a hard time seeing one of these teams as the NCAA champ--but what the heck, the Bucks should be number one on Monday and that is good.

Also, I was a little put off by the court storming at the end at first--then as others have posted--why not--we just clinched the regular season Big 10 title--so go for it-Schott crowds have been criticized for being less than enthusiastic--so it was good to see the emotion. Also, I do agree Oden did seem to get hacked around with no calls a lot---but he will have to just "sack up" and get used to it--its not going to be any easier...all in all--great job by Thad and the guys and GO BUCKS!

Yachtzee
02-25-2007, 10:28 PM

Riiiiiiight. I suppose when the Badgers win something, the students sing a rousing "huzzah" to their champions and give a jolly "pip-pip" for the vanquished foe. I don't care what school you go to, college kids and "class" rarely go together. I know some Badger alumni and they are no different in their fanaticism, emotion and occasional obnoxiousness than Ohio State fans. Besides, unless your school is on a UCLA during the John Wooden era or a big fish in a little pond like Gonzaga, I see no reason why kids can't get emotional after winning the conference title.

WMR
02-25-2007, 10:31 PM
Riiiiiiight. I suppose when the Badgers win something, the students sing a rousing "huzzah" to their champions and give a jolly "pip-pip" for the vanquished foe. I don't care what school you go to, college kids and "class" rarely go together. I know some Badger alumni and they are no different in their fanaticism, emotion and occasional obnoxiousness than Ohio State fans. Besides, unless your school is on a UCLA during the John Wooden era or a big fish in a little pond like Gonzaga, I see no reason why kids can't get emotional after winning the conference title.

Or UK pre-tubby.

traderumor
02-25-2007, 10:31 PM
I cant believe the way teams are allowed to abuse Oden. I dont like complaining about officiating especially after a win, but its a joke. I dont know how Oden hasnt just snapped and gone nuts yet.It is beyond the point of ridiculous. Just because the guy can take the punishment does not mean fouls should not be called. The refs are certainly not being fair to the big man. Shack gets the same treatment in the NBA.

redsfan1966
02-25-2007, 10:32 PM
"Dont think this would have happened in Ann Arbor"---yeah, probably not, the only thing is that not only would the court have been stormed in Ann Arbor, but there would also have been a few muggings, shootings and idiot players trying to call time outs they didnt have in the corner of the court..:devil:

RedFanAlways1966
02-25-2007, 10:33 PM

Hmmmm... :D

Football
In 1993 when about 80 people were injured at Wisconsin as thousands rushed the field after a win over Michigan.

In the stands and on the field, fans lay with crushed legs and broken bones. A few nearly died, gasping for air and turning blue under the mass of humanity that trampled them.

"We lived through the student crush and we never want to live that again," said Lt. Bill Larson, who coordinates security for Wisconsin home games.

Basketball
See attached...

redsfan1966
02-25-2007, 10:37 PM
bravo RedsFanAlways1966...bravo....:beerme:

max venable
02-25-2007, 10:57 PM
http://thumb10.webshots.net/s/thumb4/1/41/70/95714170vhBWNA_th.jpg

Badgers...keepin' it classy...

bucksfan
02-25-2007, 11:06 PM
Come on. I did not see the poor sportsmanship in the game that I see here. It was a tight game. A big game. Kids rush courts these days (as well as back in my day). 2 highly ranked teams, conference championship on the line. If there's a defined merited occasion for court-rushing beyond the Chaminade/Sampson-era-Virginia win, I'd like to see it. I'd have thought absolutely nothing of it had the situation been reversed.

Mutaman
02-25-2007, 11:14 PM
Hmmmm... :D

Football
In 1993 when about 80 people were injured at Wisconsin as thousands rushed the field after a win over Michigan.

In the stands and on the field, fans lay with crushed legs and broken bones. A few nearly died, gasping for air and turning blue under the mass of humanity that trampled them.

"We lived through the student crush and we never want to live that again," said Lt. Bill Larson, who coordinates security for Wisconsin home games.

Basketball
See attached...

Well we don't beat michigan very often. Plus a lot of people were drunk so they had an excuse. Plus it was football. (I figured if somebody did a little homework they'd probably be able to stick it to me).

Caseyfan21
02-25-2007, 11:15 PM
That was not a full out court rushing. The actual number of students that made the run out there was very small compared to say the Illinois game two years ago. Now that was a court rushing. This was more a few people ran out and many others followed to celebrate the title. I'm sure the whole Big 10 Championship trophy presentation wasn't covered but it was like a party out there with the trophy being presented, players greeting fans, and cutting down the nets. And for the record, I did not storm, just stayed up in my seat to watch everything. But this was nothing like our past storming efforts, more of people wanting to go out and celebrate with the players.

Thoughts on the game:

- OSU crowd still stunk. I'd take a UD/Xaver game at UD Arena before our crowd. I think it's as much the building as the actual fan noise. How loud would it have been had this game been in St. John's. Very loud.

- MVP of the game for Ron Lewis. He did an amazing job guarding Tucker and forcing him to take bad shots. Unbelievable performance by the senior at his last home game.

- Oden better not leave early. He's good but I think he success in the NBA will take a little while as he still has parts of his game that need to develop. If he stays another year I think he could step into the league and be a dominant player right away.

- Was there any doubt who was going to take the last shot when we were down 1? I called it coming out of the timeout that Conley was going to break his man down and take it to the hoop or dish to Oden. Having a player like Conley that can break down a defense will be valuable in the tournament.

- Ahh, the NCAA tournament. I think Bucks have to win the first round game of the Big 10 tourney to get the #1 seed. If they win the Big 10 tourney I can see them getting the #1 overall seed.

However, the only way I see OSU going deep is if they get a favorable matchup of teams in their bracket (unlike last year). All it will take is running into a team with a dominant post player and Oden getting in foul trouble. I think we are an Elite 8 team but I'm not sure about Final Four.

GAC
02-26-2007, 09:06 AM
Riiiiiiight. I suppose when the Badgers win something, the students sing a rousing "huzzah" to their champions and give a jolly "pip-pip" for the vanquished foe.

They taunt the opposition with polka!

BRM
02-26-2007, 11:24 AM

I agree with you and I'm a huge Indiana and Big 10 fan. I haven't been impressed with the Big 10 this year at all. OSU and Wisconsin may be the best in the conference but I wouldn't bet on either making it past the Sweet Sixteen. I hope I'm wrong.

Danny Serafini
02-26-2007, 11:31 AM
Considering NC couldn't get past Maryland yesterday I don't think they're a shining example of a team that's a lock to beat OSU or Wisconsin.

BRM
02-26-2007, 11:35 AM
Considering Maryland has won five in a row and six or their last eight, I'd say that's not all that bad a loss for UNC. It's still a tough loss though. I just don't see OSU or Wisconsin going deep in the tournament. Then again, this year is fairly wide-open so anything can happen.

Danny Serafini
02-26-2007, 12:16 PM
I do have a tough time seeing Ohio State winning 6 in a row in March. Then again, I don't have a great feeling about anyone winning 6 in a row. This just seems like a bit of an off year at the top. As much as I love the Buckeyes it feels a little funky with them being ranked #1. The top is soft enough this year that this could be one of those tournaments where an oddball #4 or #5 seed gets hot and wins the whole thing.

registerthis
02-26-2007, 12:20 PM
It doesn't matter in the grand scheme: NC would pound either team.

They sure didn't pound Maryland yesterday.

redsfan30
02-26-2007, 12:31 PM

Just like North Carolina "pounded" Ohio State on thier own home floor without Greg Oden?

People are quick to forget that Ohio State could very easily be a 28-1 team right now.

Sure, this is a young team. But I've never seen a top ranked team that people are just so quick to brush to the side and not even worry about.

Johnny Footstool
02-26-2007, 12:49 PM
Just like North Carolina "pounded" Ohio State on thier own home floor without Greg Oden?

People are quick to forget that Ohio State could very easily be a 28-1 team right now.

Sure, this is a young team. But I've never seen a top ranked team that people are just so quick to brush to the side and not even worry about.

They do several things well, but they don't do anything exceptionally well. They're not electric on offense and they're not a lockdown defensive squad. They're a solid team, but pretty unspectacular.

BRM
02-26-2007, 12:55 PM
I do have a tough time seeing Ohio State winning 6 in a row in March. Then again, I don't have a great feeling about anyone winning 6 in a row. This just seems like a bit of an off year at the top. As much as I love the Buckeyes it feels a little funky with them being ranked #1. The top is soft enough this year that this could be one of those tournaments where an oddball #4 or #5 seed gets hot and wins the whole thing.

Absolutely. It's a tough year to pick a favorite.

BRM
02-26-2007, 12:55 PM
They do several things well, but they don't do anything exceptionally well. They're not electric on offense and they're not a lockdown defensive squad. They're a solid team, but pretty unspectacular.

Are you talking about OSU or North Carolina?

Johnny Footstool
02-26-2007, 02:00 PM
Are you talking about OSU or North Carolina?

OSU.

North Carolina has a high-powered offense, just like every Roy Williams squad.

BRM
02-26-2007, 02:01 PM
OSU.

North Carolina has a high-powered offense, just like every Roy Williams squad.

I agree with you.

registerthis
02-26-2007, 02:20 PM
Absolutely. It's a tough year to pick a favorite.

A thought I had while watching the game yesterday.

Considering the lack of a clear-cut "dominant" team, this may be the year when a #16 finally defeats a #1. A team like OSU, for example--prone to slumps and playing below their capabilities--just might be the type of team to get upset in the first round.

Redleg39
02-26-2007, 02:34 PM
A thought I had while watching the game yesterday.

Considering the lack of a clear-cut "dominant" team, this may be the year when a #16 finally defeats a #1. A team like OSU, for example--prone to slumps and playing below their capabilities--just might be the type of team to get upset in the first round.

C'mon now, OSU won't lose in the first round, but I understand what your saying. OSU is capable of keeping a less talented team in the game. I just hope they get to the sweet sixteen. The second round has been a little bit of problem since the final four run.

registerthis
02-26-2007, 06:41 PM
C'mon now, OSU won't lose in the first round, but I understand what your saying.

I'm not saying it's going to happen, or even that it's *likely* to happen. In all honesty, my money would be on all #1s thumping the #16s by at least 30 points. I'm only saying that, in many of the past years, there were at least 2-3 #1s who were so utterly, completely dominant that there was simply no way they would lose in the first round. This is one of those years where there isn't a single team who looks unbeatable, and as such it's one of those years where I think a #16 might actually have a shot.

Danny Serafini
02-26-2007, 07:21 PM
A #16 is going to win a game sometime, I'm convinced of that. The gap between the top programs and the smaller ones has closed a lot over the years. I wouldn't be surprised to see a #16 finally win within the next 5 years. I'd almost be surprised if it didn't happen within 5 years.

To me the big factor isn't a weak #1, but a strong #16. The small conferences have to avoid upsets to have this happen. Most years there are a few crappy teams that pull off upsets and get into the NCAAs. Those teams are instant roadkill. What you need is a situation like last year where a whole string of regular season champions win their conference tournaments. A team like Oral Roberts last year typically would've been a #15, maybe even a #14 if things worked out right. But so many top seeds won their conference tournaments that they got bumped down to a #16. It's going to take one of those type of years for the #16s to have their best shot at a win.

WMR
02-26-2007, 07:30 PM
Especially with so much youth at these top schools. Get a team in a year described by you Danny with 5 seniors starting versus a #1 with 3 freshmen and 2 sophomores and it becomes even more probable.