PDA

View Full Version : American Idol, Season 6, Round of 24: Who's going home first?

macro
02-22-2007, 01:02 AM
Like probably everyone else who watched these past two nights, I was totally unimpressed by the men and very impressed with several of the females. I thought it was telling that Randy Jackson said that if there didn't have to be a 6/6 male-female split on the Final 12, he'd go with eight females and only four males. I agree.

Who's going home early? On the female side, I'm thinking it will come from among Alaina Alexander, Sabrina Sloan, and Nicole Tranquillo. Simon told Antonella Barba that she may have ruined her chance to stick around, and his comment will probably have the opposite effect and will cause people to vote for her. So, I look for her to stick around for another week, at least.

As for the males, I'll go with Nicholas Pedro and Rudy Cardenas.

If you're like me and have trouble remembering which names go with which faces at this point, go here (http://www.americanidol.com/contestants/season6/) for reference.

Roy Tucker
02-22-2007, 07:38 AM
I'd agree with that male/female breakdown. The women were smokin' hot last night while the guys were very underwhelming the night before. The women have the potential to have 4-5 in the final 6. But I do think some of the guys have potential to get better.

I see Alaina Alexander, Antonella Barba, and Leslie Hunt as on the bubble.

For the guys, take your pick beween Nicholas Pedro, Paul Kim, Rudy Cardenas, Sanjaya Malakar, Sundance Head, AJ Tabaldo, and Brandon Rogers.

Ryan Seacrest is being an extra-special twit this year.

My pick for the winner will come from Jordin Sparks, Lakisha Jones, and Melinda Doolittle. The dark horses are the guys of Phil Stacey or Blake Lewis. But they need to get it going fast.

GIK
02-22-2007, 07:47 AM
Not too many are impressive, so I'll post my current favorites...

Guys: Phil Stacey, Blake Lewis and Sundance (he's got to improve, but I like him)
Girls: Jordin Sparks, Sabrina Sloan and Lakisha Jones

Hopefully a lot of them pick it up next week.

Danny Serafini
02-22-2007, 09:22 AM
Tonight's cuts: Rudy, Sundance, Antonella, Amy

Rudy wasn't good at all, and Sundance hasn't put together a really good performance in weeks. Antonella is the easy cut among the girls, and Amy was dull and forgettable so she's gone.

redsfan30
02-22-2007, 09:26 AM
The ONLY guy that has any shot whatsoever of winning this contest is Phil Stacey, in my opinion. The rest of them, as has been noted, are just horrible.

Dom Heffner
02-22-2007, 10:58 AM
Sanjaya should be going home. Just terrible.

TheDonkluver44
02-22-2007, 11:14 AM
I think from the guys that Rudy and Sanjaya are leaving, and from the girls it's Amy and Leslie. I was most impressed with Blake's voice, i never knew he had quite that much talent in him. I was just used to hearing him beat box. As for the women, i agree with Randy that they are the ones to beat. LaKisha just hit it out of the park with her performance and Melinda has an awesome voice and she also seems very humble as well.

Red Leader
02-22-2007, 11:24 AM
Going home: Sanjaya and Paul Kim. Antonella and Amy.

My favorites:

Guys: Phil Stacey and ?? / Who's the guy that sang the Keene song. That was great.

Girls: Jordin Sparks and Lakesha Jones.

Dom Heffner
02-22-2007, 11:46 AM
Paul Kim- now that was a lousy performance. It sounded exactly like what I thought it would going in. I was cringing.

GIK
02-22-2007, 12:30 PM
Yeah, and the dude needs to put some shoes on.

WVRed
02-22-2007, 03:54 PM
Lakisha Jones is going to win it all.

With that being said, I am now retiring from this thread.:)

Ltlabner
02-22-2007, 04:39 PM
Ryan Seacrest is being an extra-special twit this year.

Seacrest has been a complete jerk thus far. Annouce the people, do your mini-interviews and say the phone numbers Ryan. Then move along. I guess he's decided it's his job to bust Simon's nuts. Seems to me you wouldn't want to mess with one of the executive producers when your claim to faim is nice hair and replacing Rick Dees.

The men have generally sucked thus far. Was it Blake who sang the "keene" song that the judges seemed to like? He was ok, I guess.

The girl from NJ who sang, "I don't want to miss a thing" (Antonella?) was horrible as was Leslie Hunt and Amy Krebs. Malenda Doolittle was freeking amazing and Sabrina (she was the one who sang "I never loved a man the way I love you???) was impressive also. Jordin Sparks was pretty good.

I agree that generally the men suck and the women are better, although there are some duds with the women-folk also.

Red in Chicago
02-22-2007, 06:56 PM
on the chick side, antonella's gotta go...and you know her "best" friend loves the fact that she'll be off the air soon, don't ya;)
nicole was aweful as well, but part of me really wants gina to be booted off since she "thinks" she hit that note...she hit something, but it certainly wasn't the right note:help:

the two worse dudes were paul (don't i have pretty feet) kim and sundance (i look like meatloaf) head...

blake and chris are dreamy:p: , but lakisha, stephanie and sabrina were the best singers...

Ltlabner
02-22-2007, 08:17 PM
Paul Kim is out. Carless Whisper didn't quite cut the mustard. Neither did his feet.

And now.....the song of shame.

Would it be totally lame to use the chat room for a live "chat durring idol session"? (good God...I used to be so cool. What happened?) I'll be in there if anybody cares to join me

MWM
02-22-2007, 08:22 PM
There are a few really good girls, but top to bottom this is by far the worst collection of talent they've had on the show. This week was the first time I watched this year and I couldn't believe how bad the talent was, with a few exceptions.

And this is following what I believe was by far the most talent they had ever had on the show last season. They really had some good singers last season.

Ltlabner
02-22-2007, 08:34 PM
Simon told Antonella Barba that she may have ruined her chance to stick around, and his comment will probably have the opposite effect and will cause people to vote for her. So, I look for her to stick around for another week, at least.

You nailed that one Marco. I didn't see all the women sing, but she was dreadfull. It's hard to believe someone sang worse than she did last night.

Ltlabner
02-22-2007, 08:48 PM
Women...

Amy Krebs. Gone. She was lame, and as Simon said "totally forgettable"
Nichole "Chaka Kahn" Trilliquo. Paula seems to like her, but I think she might be one of the few. Durring the song of shame Paula is up dancing around like a loon. She's still hot, IMO, but pretty darn wacky.

Danny Serafini
02-22-2007, 09:34 PM
I know I'm in the minority, but I actually liked Paul. I didn't see him lasting a whole lot longer though, so I'm not too surprised.

max venable
02-23-2007, 08:51 AM
As is turns out, Sanjaya was in the top four in viewer voting? Huh?

Seems like every year someone like him hangs around way too long (John Stevens, Kevin Corvais, Anthony Federov).

Top 4? Are you kidding me?

MWM
02-23-2007, 09:04 AM
As is turns out, Sanjaya was in the top four in viewer voting? Huh?

Seems like every year someone like him hangs around way too long (John Stevens, Kevin Corvais, Anthony Federov).

Top 4? Are you kidding me?

He got the sympathy vote. He was railed on pretty hard and he had that little, young, and innocent look on his face. I actually felt bad for him myself. How did he get this far to begin with is the question? He's not a very good singer.

Roy Tucker
02-23-2007, 09:17 AM
Poor Amy. She was sitting there minding her own business and the lineup was pointing to Antonella getting nuked. Antonella looked like she was ready to hurl. The axe was poised...

Then, Ryan lets her off the hook and launches a pre-emptive strike on Amy. You're gonzo kid, sayonara, adios amoeba. Whack!

I was a smidge surprised at Nicole. Not because she sang a horrible song (as Randy said, she tried to hard to be "urban"), but she actually had a better voice than many of the contestants. But, she was never going to win, so best off getting on with her life. At least she was a good sport about it and got a group hug.

The guys were no big deal. Actually, listening to Rudy sing, he does have a good voice. But that was a terrible song to sing. But like Amy, he was never going to win, so AMF.

Fantasia was god-awful. And Quincy Jones got cut off summarily.

My daughter asked me where do the people who get cut go for the rest of the show after getting the axe?

MWM
02-23-2007, 09:26 AM
I was a smidge surprised at Nicole. Not because she sang a horrible song (as Randy said, she tried to hard to be "urban"), but she actually had a better voice than many of the contestants. But, she was never going to win, so best off getting on with her life. At least she was a good sport about it and got a group hug.

Yeah, she was a pretty good singer, but was never going to advance very far anyhow. But there were a couple of other girls who just weren't very good at all. But they both look like models, so they got to stick around.

klw
02-23-2007, 10:59 AM
I have to wonder if Seacrest's comment about the 6/6 split is a precursor to the producers deciding to not have such a split and "merge" earlier.

macro
02-23-2007, 11:01 AM
Antonella didn't deserve to be in the top 24 in the first place. She forgot her lyrics in the late rounds of Hollywood Week, and didn't sound nearly as good as the girl sitting beside her (when they brought them down to the last two remaining and put them in the chairs in front of the judges).

Also, what's up with Simon telling Rudy that he was "not a very good singer" or "an average singer" or something like that? Was it not Simon and Friends who selected him among the top 12 males from all those people?! If he was no good, then whey did they promote him?

Simon has been trashing the contestants left and right this week (some rightfully so), yet these are the same people that he chose to be there. What sense does that make?

Also, I'll be rooting hard for Gina Glocksen to go home next week. She's very cocky...too cocky. She's not nearly as good as she thinks she is. Then again, we have to remember that these final 24 spots are chosen not just for singing talent, but to fill certain "roles" in the show. I have a feeling that Gina was chosen partially for talent, and partially to be the "cocky one".

And finally, I SO wish they'd get rid of Paula Abdul. She never adds anything of substance to the feedback, and often just repeats a version of what Randy says, often using his exact words. Unfortunately, she's become part of the franchise, so I guess she won't be going anywhere. That's unfortunate, because she really takes away from the show.

Danny Serafini
02-23-2007, 11:05 AM
Also, what's up with Simon telling Rudy that he was "not a very good singer" or "an average singer" or something like that? Was it not Simon and Friends who selected him among the top 12 males from all those people?! If he was no good, then whey did they promote him?

Simon has been trashing the contestants left and right this week (some rightfully so), yet these are the same people that he chose to be there. What sense does that make?

Maybe there are less than 12 guys who deserve to be there, so they had to take some filler. Rudy was simply best of the leftovers so he got to fill some time early in the competition.

Dom Heffner
02-23-2007, 11:21 AM
And finally, I SO wish they'd get rid of Paula Abdul. She never adds anything of substance to the feedback, and often just repeats a version of what Randy says, often using his exact words. Unfortunately, she's become part of the franchise, so I guess she won't be going anywhere. That's unfortunate, because she really takes away from the show.

You're...you're...a great singer....just a....wonderful person...and follow your dreams....I...I...just want to say that....I think you're terrific....

I often wonder why she pauses, as if she is searching for some extraordinary word to use and then she drops "terrific."

The saying goodbye portion is always strange.

It's like a Brat Pack reunion where you expect to see Sammy Davis, Jr. pop up out of nowhere to say, "Coming from the greatest humanitarian in the world, that means so much."

IslandRed
02-23-2007, 11:43 AM
Maybe there are less than 12 guys who deserve to be there, so they had to take some filler. Rudy was simply best of the leftovers so he got to fill some time early in the competition.

True. It's kind of like filling out a Top (Insert Number Here) Prospects list for a farm system -- sometimes you run out of guys you think will be major-leaguers before you run out of list.

JaxRed
02-23-2007, 12:08 PM
It's VERY easy to predict the first couple weeks. Certain people are absolutely safe because of the air time they get. Antonella Barba had ZERO chance of being voted out. No one got more air time then her, and she is great looking. She will make Top 12.

macro
02-23-2007, 01:17 PM
You're...you're...a great singer....just a....wonderful person...and follow your dreams....I...I...just want to say that....I think you're terrific....

:lol:

...and you look great up there...and you've just gotta go for it...

macro
02-23-2007, 01:21 PM

With 10,000 or more people showing up in seven different cities, I'm amazed that they couldn't find twelve male singers with star potential, but perhaps you're right. Maybe star performers are truly more rare than it might seem.

I have always been under the impression that there were hundreds or maybe even thousands of people out there with every bit as much talent as the stars, but who just had never been in the right place at the right time. Given the 24 remaining in American Idol each year, though, that may not be as true as I have always assumed.

Thoughts, anyone?

Red in Chicago
02-23-2007, 01:25 PM
Also, I'll be rooting hard for Gina Glocksen to go home next week. She's very cocky...too cocky. She's not nearly as good as she thinks she is. Then again, we have to remember that these final 24 spots are chosen not just for singing talent, but to fill certain "roles" in the show. I have a feeling that Gina was chosen partially for talent, and partially to be the "cocky one".

gina is from naperville, illinois, which is home to MANY cocky little brats...

Ltlabner
02-23-2007, 02:33 PM
With 10,000 or more people showing up in seven different cities, I'm amazed that they couldn't find twelve male singers with star potential, but perhaps you're right. Maybe star performers are truly more rare than it might seem.

I have always been under the impression that there were hundreds or maybe even thousands of people out there with every bit as much talent as the stars, but who just had never been in the right place at the right time. Given the 24 remaining in American Idol each year, though, that may not be as true as I have always assumed.

Thoughts, anyone?

I tend to agree with this Macro. We all probably know lots of people who sing well. We likely know a person or two who sing really well. But chances are good they sing well at a coffie house, church choir, at a wedding or in the high school musicials, etc. But does their voice have that "special something" that can translate on a stage, over a mic, in front of TV cameras with millions of people watching?

People may or may not like Steven Tyler from Aerosmith but I use him because they've been around so long and sold so many albums. Lots of people can belt out Walk This Way. But can they sing Seasons of Wither, You see Me Crying, I don't Want to Miss a Thing, etc? Can they also sing Love in an Elevator and Big Ten Inch straight from their crotch? And then turn around and sing Get The Lead Out and Perminate Vacation and just let it all hang out and have fun? Point is it takes a lot of "range" to pull all of that off.

There's lots to singing, IMO, besides a great voice. There's phrasing. There is breathing. There are inflections. Changing volumes. Letting your emotions show through their voices. If it's a sad song does the singers voice sound like it's on the edge of dispare while if it's a lusty song does the singers voice sound like they are in heat? Mix in facical gestures, body gestures, etc.

I'm starting to ramble. Its' like baseball. Many people can stand in a batting cage and hack at a baseball. Very, very, very few can play the game at the MLB level.

flyer85
02-23-2007, 02:35 PM
And to think I've missed the first five seasons in their entirety. :redface:

Ltlabner
02-23-2007, 02:49 PM
And to think I've missed the first five seasons in their entirety. :redface:

What's werid Flyer is that I've never watched any season beyond the first episodes when they show the wack-o's at try outs. After that I drift off and lose interest. For some reason I'm sucked into this season even though the overall tallent is waining and Ryan is in mega-twit mode.

I can't esplane it