PDA

View Full Version : WGC - Match Play Event

Razor Shines
02-23-2007, 10:11 AM
Look for Nick O'Hern to get royally trounced today. First of all he beat Tiger in this event before and yesterday O'Hern said that he thinks he can beat Tiger again. Why would say anything that might make Tiger mad at you?

Anybody else make picks (i.e. NCAA tourney)?

Winning today I've got:
Woods
Stenson
Howell
Immelman
Toms
Cink
Casey
Ogilvy

Chip R
02-23-2007, 10:30 AM
Look for Nick O'Hern to get royally trounced today. First of all he beat Tiger in this event before and yesterday O'Hern said that he thinks he can beat Tiger again. Why would say anything that might make Tiger mad at you?

Oh dear. :eek: That's crazy to say something like that out loud.

Redlegs23
02-23-2007, 12:30 PM
The only guys I have left....

Tiger
Baddeley
Howell III
Ogilvy
Toms

I pretty much tore my bracket up when Els and Furyk dropped. I had them in the finals.

guttle11
02-23-2007, 01:12 PM
Oh dear. :eek: That's crazy to say something like that out loud.

Remember what happened last year in that event? Someone said something similar and got beat 9 and 8.

One thing you don't do is challenge Tiger publicly.

Chip R
02-23-2007, 01:32 PM
Remember what happened last year in that event? Someone said something similar and got beat 9 and 8.

One thing you don't do is challenge Tiger publicly.

Yeah, saying something like that is just crazy stupid.

cincy jacket
02-23-2007, 04:22 PM
So far he seems to be backing it up though. Tiger is 3 down thru 10 after just missing an eagle putt.

cincy jacket
02-23-2007, 05:04 PM
Maybe I spoke to soon. Tiger is now only one down on 14, things are starting to get interesting.

Chip R
02-23-2007, 05:37 PM
All square through 16

Chip R
02-23-2007, 06:01 PM
O'Hern birdies 17 and Tiger pars. Then Tiger birdies 18 and O'Hern pars. We're going to extra holes.

Chip R
02-23-2007, 06:16 PM
Tiger blew a 4 footer that would have won the match on the 1st extra hole.

Chip R
02-23-2007, 06:32 PM
O'Hern pars the 2nd extra hole and Tiger bogeys. O'Hern wins the match 1 up. Tiger's streak is no more.

MaineRed
02-23-2007, 06:56 PM
You've got to believe you can beat Tiger if you are going to beat him. Nobody is going to win by saying all the right things. Players need to challenge Tiger, not be affraid of him.

Congrats to Nick O'Hern. Not sure why a drubbing was predicted. O'Hern is the 16th ranked player in the world.

I'm glad there is only one American, Chad Campbell in the final 8. Maybe this will help explain to peoople why we don't win the Ryder Cup anymore and gain the European Tour some respect. Outside of Tiger the USA is weak.

The best player left in this tourney is Henrik Stenson. Keep an eye on him. Not just this weekend but in the future. He is sort of a late bloomer but he is up to 8th in the world and is a world class player. He'll be a fixture on the next 5 or 6 European Ryder Cup teams.

I actually don't know if they are on the right sides of the bracket but I'd say a Casey (another world class European) vs. Stenson Final. Both these guys have game and will be among the top canidates to remove Tiger from atop the world rankings in the next 3-5 years as Singh, Furyk and Mickelson begin to fade.

guttle11
02-23-2007, 08:19 PM
You've got to believe you can beat Tiger if you are going to beat him. Nobody is going to win by saying all the right things. Players need to challenge Tiger, not be affraid of him.

Congrats to Nick O'Hern. Not sure why a drubbing was predicted. O'Hern is the 16th ranked player in the world.

I'm glad there is only one American, Chad Campbell in the final 8. Maybe this will help explain to peoople why we don't win the Ryder Cup anymore and gain the European Tour some respect. Outside of Tiger the USA is weak.

The best player left in this tourney is Henrik Stenson. Keep an eye on him. Not just this weekend but in the future. He is sort of a late bloomer but he is up to 8th in the world and is a world class player. He'll be a fixture on the next 5 or 6 European Ryder Cup teams.

I actually don't know if they are on the right sides of the bracket but I'd say a Casey (another world class European) vs. Stenson Final. Both these guys have game and will be among the top canidates to remove Tiger from atop the world rankings in the next 3-5 years as Singh, Furyk and Mickelson begin to fade.

No one predicted a drubbing.

There's no better at what he does than Tiger, and when you call him out, bad things will follow. He had that match won and let it slip away. Congrats to O'Hern for taking advantage of that.

Looking forward, there's only one thing that pumps Tiger up more than trash talk, and that's his own failures. The tour is in trouble for the rest of the season.

Redhook
02-24-2007, 10:26 AM
Watch out for Trevor Immelman. He's playing well and his swing is outstanding. I looked at his swing the other day on V1Home.com. He has, without a doubt, the best swing I've ever seen on video. And I've seen a lot of swings on video. His swing is so good he doesn't have much of a chance to hit a bad shot. I wouldn't be surprised at all if he wins this week or a major sometime soon.

MaineRed
02-25-2007, 07:22 AM
No one predicted a drubbing.

Really?

Look for Nick O'Hern to get royally trounced today.

Looking forward, there's only one thing that pumps Tiger up more than trash talk, and that's his own failures. The tour is in trouble for the rest of the season.

And the Tour was somehow in less trouble if Tiger went on to win this event, giving him 8 wins in a row?

I totally disagree. If Henrik Stenson wins today it will be two events entered with Tiger in the field and two wins in those two events. The rest of the tour is in fine shape with plenty of guys who can challenge Tiger. No better example than today's final. Guys like Immelman and Casey expand the list.

Highlifeman21
02-25-2007, 10:42 AM
Watch out for Trevor Immelman. He's playing well and his swing is outstanding. I looked at his swing the other day on V1Home.com. He has, without a doubt, the best swing I've ever seen on video. And I've seen a lot of swings on video. His swing is so good he doesn't have much of a chance to hit a bad shot. I wouldn't be surprised at all if he wins this week or a major sometime soon.

Immelman does have one of the more sound swings on tour. I'm amazed at his length, given his relatively small arc.

My top 3 swings I've seen with the V1 Pro system would be...

1. E. Els
2. A. Scott
3. T. Immelman

I've never found any Tiger swings with that software suite.

Redhook
02-25-2007, 07:28 PM

Good call. He's tough.

guttle11
02-26-2007, 12:05 AM
And the Tour was somehow in less trouble if Tiger went on to win this event, giving him 8 wins in a row?

Tiger has won the match play twice in his career, and went on to win no majors in those years. I think there's substance in that. Maybe getting beat H2H fires him up that much more...I don't know.

MaineRed
02-26-2007, 07:58 AM
I saw that stat myself and it certainly is interesting. But come, those other years, losing in Februry in California was the reason he won those British Opens at St. Andrews or came home with the green jacket?

Something tells me those events being played at the home of golf had more to do with him winning than a loss in the match play.

Same with the Masters. I doubt if driving down Magnolia Lane in April if Tiger is thinking, "I'll show that Nick O'Hern!"

If you are suggesting what you are suggesting then you must also be suggesting that Tiger somehow relaxes and cares less about winning majors those years that he wins at the World Match Play? You just can't say that about Tiger Woods.

The word coincidence was created for situations just like this. Getting through the Match Play is not easy. Tiger has only won it twice in his career. And last year at the HSBC Match Play in Europe, an event with just 16 players, Tiger tied for 9th with a first round loss.

That loss was during this supposed streak along with a number of other losses. This streak was just a farce. A streak that continues only because the event he was playing in was sanctioned by the PGA Tour is a joke. Tiger elected to play in these events, he loses, end of streak IMO. By my count the loss this week was the fifth in an Internationally sanctioned (World Ranking Points) event since this streak began.

So while the general public now thinks Tiger is 7-1 in his last 8 events, he is really 3-5.

http://www.officialworldgolfranking.com/players/bio.sps?ID=5321