PDA

View Full Version : sammy sosa

redsgabp
02-23-2007, 09:38 PM
sammy sosa is with the texas rangers in spring training.
(he should make the team out of spring training.)

he is 12 Hr shy of 600.

does anyone think that we could see his 600th come at gabp?
the reds and rangers play june 15-17 @ gabp.

june could seem like a good month for him to get his 12th hr.
You know his timing will be off at the start of the year and he might not even play every day if he makes the team.

imagine if sosa hit his 12th here at gabp and if griffey jr stays healthy enough to hit his 37th here as well (37 more will be jr's 600th)

////////----------/////////////-------------
and on a side note of this

if barry bonds HULKS up again, he could also make history in cincinnati.
bonds needs 21 hr to tie Hank Aaron.
the reds and giants play the first week of july, so 21 by july isin't that far off.

Hey a guy can dream a little bit can't he?

justincredible
02-23-2007, 10:13 PM
That would make for a pretty historic year at GABP, wouldn't it?

Four guys are knocking on 500 this year but the Reds don't face any of them, home or away.

Frank Thomas(487)
Jim Thome(472)
Manny Ramirez(470)
Arod(464)

redsgabp
02-23-2007, 10:17 PM
That would make for a pretty historic year at GABP, wouldn't it?

i doubt we will see the sosa one or bonds one happern here, but it's within the time frame.

griffey this year may not happen either, but it's also possible.

but if any or all happened at gabp :dancingco: :yikes:

justincredible
02-23-2007, 10:19 PM
i doubt we will see the sosa one or bonds one happern here, but it's within the time frame.

griffey this year may not happen either, but it's also possible.

but if any or all happened at gabp :dancingco: :yikes:

I'll definitely be there for the games, though, if they are within one or two when they come to town. I'll probably go to a Rangers game anyway since I have never seen them play in person. I can take one more team off my list.

redsfan4445
02-24-2007, 12:16 AM
Sammy Sosa before and now!(see pics)

A-Dub
02-24-2007, 02:19 AM
I'll leave this short and sweet about Sammy's Return..

"Say it ain't So"

StillFunkyB
02-24-2007, 09:20 AM

Holy shrinking arms batman!

TheWalls
02-24-2007, 10:28 AM

Gee, he doesn't look like a professional wrestler any more. Wonder how that happened?

Spitball
02-24-2007, 10:32 AM
does anyone think that we could see his 600th come at gabp?
the reds and rangers play june 15-17 @ gabp.

If Sosa comes within one homer of 600 entering the series in Cincinnati, I'm betting the Rangers will limit his play in those three games. The Rangers would be heading back to Arlington after the series for a homestand. I don't think they would want to miss that promotion.

redsgabp
02-24-2007, 10:39 AM
If Sosa comes within one homer of 600 entering the series in Cincinnati, I'm betting the Rangers will limit his play in those three games. The Rangers would be heading back to Arlington after the series for a homestand. I don't think they would want to miss that promotion.

the reds didn't do this with griffey jr's 500th.

if he is needed for the games, i don't think they would tell him to not play or not swing for the fences.

RedFanAlways1966
02-24-2007, 01:03 PM
the reds didn't do this with griffey jr's 500th.

if he is needed for the games, i don't think they would tell him to not play or not swing for the fences.

I understand your point. However, would any team sign and play Sammy these days if not for the 600-HR mark? Legit ML Player or Promo Special?

:confused:

mth123
02-24-2007, 01:45 PM
I understand your point. However, would any team sign and play Sammy these days if not for the 600-HR mark? Legit ML Player or Promo Special?

:confused:

Not sure, but forgetting the milestone and corresponding attendance bump, for my money Sammy at $500K is a better RH option than Conine at $2 Million.

So given that a team would actually trade something for the right to pay Conine $2 Million, it isn't a surprise that some one would take a shot with Sosa for near the minimum.

westofyou
02-24-2007, 02:28 PM
http://www.dfw.com/mld/dfw/sports/baseball/mlb/texas_rangers/16775423.htm

I'd hoped and somehow expected Sosa to be better prepared to answer the steroids question after a year away from the game to think about it. I thought he would tell us that he understands why the questions have to be asked but that he didn't do steroids. Remind us that he's never failed a steroids test. Point out that he'll be tested just like every other player in the game now.

Instead, he just wants to avoid it.

"I understand what you're saying and everybody knows that, but let's talk about baseball, let's talk about 2007 and the talent we have in Texas and what we can do this year," he said.

"All those things I want to accomplish, I want to talk about that. I don't want to talk about whatever happened in the Congress, or whatever. This is not my problem. I have to make the team."

westofyou
02-24-2007, 02:29 PM
Not sure, but forgetting the milestone and corresponding attendance bump, for my money Sammy at $500K is a better RH option than Conine at $2 Million.

Conine is playing 1st and Sammy plays OF like the monster in Rock Horror running from Frank'n'furter.

Pass.

mth123
02-24-2007, 04:32 PM
Conine is playing 1st and Sammy plays OF like the monster in Rock Horror running from Frank'n'furter.

Pass.

Agree. Sammy was never a very good OF IMO. Mainly I thought he was too busy showing off his arm to actually use it to make the right play and he lost his range long ago. Its just that I would prefer him to Conine even if it means Freel moves to 3B and EdE plays 1B against LH.

Actually, if we're looking back over the off-season, my RH Hitting 1B options would have been:

1. Craig Wilson
2. Josh Phelps
3. Jayson Werth
4. Eduardo Perez
5. JR House

Any would have been a cheaper, better choice than Conine and would actually be here for a couple years to ease Votto in. The Reds will likely need to platoon Votto when he arrives and this will be a problem revisited again next year.

I see Votto breaking in the same way Adam Laroche did. He'll need a RH partner for a year or two. I hope the Reds don't commit to Conine for that long.

hebroncougar
02-24-2007, 04:46 PM
Looks like Sammy's lost a little weight...............:laugh:

cacollinsmba
02-24-2007, 09:31 PM
Actually, if we're looking back over the off-season, my RH Hitting 1B options would have been:

1. Craig Wilson
2. Josh Phelps
3. Jayson Werth
4. Eduardo Perez
5. JR House

I would have liked to have seen Eduardo come back, if for no other reason than out of sentimental value.

A number of posters think it's a crime that Larkin and Rijo are employed with the Nats' front office. I feel the same way about Tony Perez working for the Marlins.

hebroncougar
02-24-2007, 09:40 PM
I would have liked to have seen Eduardo come back, if for no other reason than out of sentimental value.

A number of posters think it's a crime that Larkin and Rijo are employed with the Nats' front office. I feel the same way about Tony Perez working for the Marlins.

Agreed.........but would Tony ever come back with the way he was treated here the last time?

cacollinsmba
02-24-2007, 09:58 PM
Agreed.........but would Tony ever come back with the way he was treated here the last time?

I don't know, I would guess not. I move to the DC area the same offseason the Nats canned Frank Robinson. :bang:

My dad's favorite player was FR so too bad he won't get to see him manage a game out here.