PDA

View Full Version : Eugene Onegin

Betterread
02-25-2007, 12:08 AM
Today, I saw the Met's compelling production of Tchaikovsky's EO,with Renee Fleming and Dmitri Hvorostvosky. This is my first experience with the opera, after reading Pushkin's "novel in verse", and I now see why Russians consider this one of their great works of art. Has anyone else seen this current production?

vaticanplum
02-25-2007, 01:44 PM
i haven't, but years ago I did see the movie version with Ralph Fiennes and Liv Tyler (who's very good in this). Good film, I'd recommend it. I think that in order to watch movies based on Russian literature, you have to FULLY embrace their Russianness which a lot of Americans find difficult. But it isn't melodrama, it's just different, and this movie did it very well.

Falls City Beer
02-25-2007, 02:08 PM
I would like to see a Broadway version of Gogol's Dead Souls; I'd gladly play a dancing ghost of a serf.

reds1869
02-25-2007, 03:42 PM
I have seen the Russian State Opera's production, but not the Met's. I would love to do so but will have to wait until it comes out on video.

Betterread
02-25-2007, 03:44 PM
I would like to see a Broadway version of Gogol's Dead Souls; I'd gladly play a dancing ghost of a serf.

Yes - "Myortvyye dushi" - One of the crowning achievements of Russian Lit, I enjoy it too. It was made into an opera in 1976 by Russian composer Rodion Shchedrin (b. 1932). I've never seen it staged. Its been described as aleatoric/serial music - which doesn't sound very flattering.

Betterread
02-25-2007, 03:46 PM
i haven't, but years ago I did see the movie version with Ralph Fiennes and Liv Tyler (who's very good in this). Good film, I'd recommend it. I think that in order to watch movies based on Russian literature, you have to FULLY embrace their Russianness which a lot of Americans find difficult. But it isn't melodrama, it's just different, and this movie did it very well.

Sound interesting. I wasn't aware of this movie. I'll try to look for it.

M2
02-25-2007, 03:48 PM

Never happen. People's heads would explode trying to process the information that there's little to no difference between 19th century Russia and modern America.