PDA

View Full Version : If you had to pick a 2nd team who would it be?

hebroncougar
02-25-2007, 07:21 AM
Most everyone's favorite team here would be the Reds obviously, if you had to root for another team, who would it be and why?

For me, it would be Minnesota. I'm not sure as to why other than when I was a kid, I liked their style, Kirby Puckett, Jack Morris, Kent Hrbeck, Tom Brunansky. I have followed them all through the late 90's as well, Mauer and Morneau are great young studs. I like their style too, not breaking the bank and bringing in overpaid stars.

DannyB
02-25-2007, 07:36 AM
My 2nd favorite team changes, over the years its been the Dogers,Cubs and Cards.
Finally, after a few yrs in S. Florida I`m starting to like the Marlins.

hebroncougar
02-25-2007, 07:46 AM
My 2nd favorite team changes, over the years its been the Dogers,Cubs and Cards.
Finally, after a few yrs in S. Florida I`m starting to like the Marlins.

I used to go to St. Pete every year to work a baseball summer camp for kids and became a Dray fan while I was down there. Ok, I've officially come out of the closet.................:eek:

BoxingRed
02-25-2007, 07:52 AM
I'd pick the Twins as well. A small market club that seems to get the message and stick to their plan. Terry Ryan is extremely underrated as a GM.
I'll miss the turf when it's gone and I can't figure out how they are going to play Sept./Oct baseball in an open air stadium.
Johann is a lefty Soto.(with a nasty slider)

mth123
02-25-2007, 08:18 AM
Mine changes as players change. There is no one really close to the Reds, but if I had to pick I'd say Phily. I like Utley and Rollins up the middle.

Ltlabner
02-25-2007, 08:19 AM
Very interesting question...

I was born in Plymouth MA, so I've always had a yen for the Red Sox.

When I was very young my father bought me a KC Royals shirt so, of course, they became my favorite team. Unfortuntaley since the George Brett hayday they've pretty much sucked.

I've always liked Atlanta. Even though during their hayday's with Maddux, Schmoltz, et al I always thought they were a great team. They seemed very disciplined and their starting pitching was frickin amazing. They appeared to run like a well oiled machine.

RedsBaron
02-25-2007, 08:56 AM
My second favorite team constantly changes, depending who is on what team. I started rooting for the Red Sox 40 years ago, during the "Impossible Dream" season of 1967, and I really liked the Boston teams of the 1975-86 era, actually better than I did the 2004 team that finally brought Boston a World Series victory. While I still root for Boston to defeat the Yankees, I am not as big a Red Sox fan as I used to be.
I was a Phillies fan back in 1980-83. I already liked Schmidt, Carlton and McGraw. When the Phillies added Rose, and later Morgan and Perez, they became my second favorite team, but when they all left, so did I. I didn't give a second's thought to the 1993 Phillies, who won the NL, for example.
I was a Cardinals fan way back in 1964-65, so I sometimes do have a flashback and root for the Cards. I was one of the very few people here who was glad they defeated the Tigers in last year's World Series. However I can recall rooting for the Tigers in the 1968 World Series against St. Louis, mainly because at that point I was sick of seeing Gibson, Brock & Co. beat the Reds. I also rooted for the Royals over the Cardinals in the 1985 World Series because I liked George Brett and I didn't like anyone on the '85 Cards.
I cheered for the Tigers in their World Series of 1984 solely because their manager was Sparky Anderson. Sparky's gone from Detroit and so is my motive to cheer for the Tigers.
I was glad to see the White Sox win the World Series in 2005 because they hadn't won one since 1917 and because I figured the win would really stick it to the Cubs, but now that the Chisox have recently won a Series I no longer root for them.
Who is my second favorite team now? Probably the Red Sox, but it is a very distant second to the Reds.

redsfanfalcon
02-25-2007, 08:56 AM
Can't be someone from the NL for me. I would say the Tigers, especially after going to a lot of Mudhens games.

chettt
02-25-2007, 09:16 AM
It's an easy choice for me, the White Sox. I live 170 miles from both Great American Ball Park & US Cellular Field. I was a White Sox fan until I saw Pete Rose play in '63. I attend about 15 games a year in Cincy & a couple in Chicago. My favorite all-time players are Pete Rose & Nellie Fox.

redsmetz
02-25-2007, 10:26 AM
Has to be the Cards - I married one of their fans and converted her!

Redhook
02-25-2007, 10:51 AM
The Cincinnati Bengals.

I love the Reds and Bengals and don't have it in me to root for another team in either sport.

RANDY IN INDY
02-25-2007, 10:51 AM
For me, it would be the Orioles. Always liked them as a kid. Brooks, Frank, Boog, Belanger, Blair, Buford, Hendricks, Johnson, Palmer, McNally, Cuellar, and "The Earl" of Baltimore. Had the opportunity to live in Fredericksburg, VA during some of the Ripken years and frequented Camden Yards often. I have always liked their uniforms and colors as well.

Nowhere near the Reds, but my favorite AL team for all my life.

Highlifeman21
02-25-2007, 10:52 AM
The Phillies, just having lived there the past two years, and watching that team really grow around a solid young core.

jmac
02-25-2007, 11:07 AM
As some have stated mine would change with the players.
I listen to/watch the reds whether they win or lose and I cant say I would do that for another team.
Teams I enjoy watching on EI when reds aren't on:

Boston
Oakland
Detroit

Jim
02-25-2007, 11:21 AM
Living in Chicago, I like have a local team to cheer for. Since I DESPISE the Cubs, I've been fortunate enough to have the White Sox as my second team!

Newman4
02-25-2007, 11:26 AM
The Cleveland Indians have always been my second team. They're AL and from Ohio. I was born in Marion, Ohio in late 1976 and, even as far north as that is, in my earliest baseball memories everyone was a Reds fan. The Indians were terrible until the mid-90s so I kinda was a sypathetic fan as a child and kept up with them through the good times to the present.

PickOff
02-25-2007, 12:11 PM
The Pirates. I got a signed ball from Willie "pops" Stargell when I was a kid. My father is a Pirates fan, too, (not a Reds fan) so I could go that way if the Reds moved town.

cacollinsmba
02-25-2007, 12:35 PM
Nationals, since I live in No. Virginia and half the team is made up of ex-Reds. It's like I never left Cincinnati!

Also, the A's for the reasons that the Twins fans mentioned (I view 1990's success as balancing out the disappointment of 1972.) Plus they've traded us Jose Rijo and Aaron Harang. :D Hope Saarloos can live up to that standard. :laugh:

Superdude
02-25-2007, 12:40 PM
Devil Rays, because prospects are flat out sweet. :cool:

Falls City Beer
02-25-2007, 12:41 PM
The Rump Parliament

redsupport
02-25-2007, 12:44 PM
The Cincinnati Royals

RFS62
02-25-2007, 12:47 PM
Red Sox. Ever since the '60's.

Dunner44
02-25-2007, 01:07 PM
I liked the Nats for a bit, because it was nice to see baseball back in D.C. However, Leatherpants has turned me off of them. I liked the Marlins last year because of the success they were having with their young guys. Its criminal that Joe Girardi was fired... if anyone should have been axed, its Loria.

vaticanplum
02-25-2007, 01:27 PM
I like a lot of teams. I like the White Sox a lot -- even when they were bad while I was growing up, they always had a little handful of interesting players to follow. I like the A's because of the way they're managed and where they play. When I was a kid, I liked the Braves, inexplicably, and that's never quite gone away. Liked the Expos but that hasn't really carried over to the Nationals. I have a tie for my first favorite team though...it all gets to be too much to follow somedays...

jmcclain19
02-25-2007, 02:39 PM
The A's.

They've had Spring Training near my home forever. I've had a soft spot for them for the longest time. I'll go to 3-4 A's games every spring and go watch their workouts at Phoenix Muni - I bring the wife - we go watch the baseball players for a while for me, then we go next door to the Phoenix zoo and watch the animals.

I also like to see my hometown team, the Dbacks, do well.

deltachi8
02-25-2007, 02:41 PM
Florida - i like how they build a team. IF the people around here (media, etc) would actually report on the MLB team closest (Toronto) - i would probably like the Jays. It is only a 90 minute drive for me and it would be nice to have a mild rooting interest in a team I can just head off to see after work.

KronoRed
02-25-2007, 02:42 PM
Marlins, first team I rooted for.

justincredible
02-25-2007, 02:58 PM
Marlins or Twins

macro
02-25-2007, 05:56 PM
Like some of you, mine has changed depending on the year.

I think the most disappointed I ever was to see a team lose and it not be the Reds was the 1993 Phillies, who lost to Toronto in the WS. They seemed like a great bunch of guys, while Toronto had the loveable :rolleyes: Dave Stewart and their manager Cito Gaston filled the bench for the All Star game with his own players.

The ironic thing was that I had always really liked Toronto until that season.

jojo
02-25-2007, 06:21 PM
Seattle Mariners....

RedRoser
02-25-2007, 06:25 PM
Since I was a small kid who discovered a love for baseball in the 60's, my "secondary" teams have been the Boston Red Sox and the Detroit Tigers. During college in the late 70's and early 80's, I began liking the Atlanta Braves also.

To what extent do I root for them and follow them? Whenever I'm not busy rooting for or reading something about the Reds. Or, :evil: when they play the Yankees!

If any of these three teams were playing Cincinnati, even in a spring training game, I would want the Reds to beat them 99-0 every time!!!

---'Roser

pedro
02-25-2007, 07:25 PM
I'd have to say the Braves (since I lived 3 miles from their stadium for 10 years), the Tigers (since I was born in Michigan and the Tigers were my first favorite team) and the Indians (I just have always thought they were an interesting franchise)

I really wish I could become interested in the mariners since they are out here, but alas, it hasn't happened yet.

thatcoolguy_22
02-25-2007, 07:26 PM
I root for the reds and then for players. Khalil Greene, Chase Utley and, Carl Crawford.

Strikes Out Looking
02-25-2007, 09:48 PM
Red Sox--my wife is from Boston, so I follow the Sox so I have something to discuss with her family (that interests me).

BoydsOfSummer
02-25-2007, 10:24 PM
My girlfriend, who lives in Sterling Heights Michigan, has informed me that my new second fav team is the Tigers. I could have done worse I reckon.

bomarl1969
02-25-2007, 11:03 PM
Dodgers

redsupport
02-25-2007, 11:07 PM
Kansas City A's with the great Diego Segui

marcshoe
02-25-2007, 11:12 PM
The Pirates. That should prove once and for all that I'm not a frontrunner.

Dracodave
02-25-2007, 11:19 PM
Really, since I can't say I have a second favorite team.

First obviously-Cincinnati.

Then it comes down to players.

Wright/Reyes/Perez on the Mets.
Inge/Monroe/Casey/Polanco/Verlander on the Tigers.
Smoltz/Chipper on the Braves.

Thats about it.:laugh:

Gainesville Red
02-25-2007, 11:20 PM
I've got nothing against the Rays. I like Gomes, Crawford, Baldelli and Cantu. Sadly, I'll probably end up watching a lot more of them than usual this year as a lot of times I have to use the computer for school work. (With EI going DirecTV exclusive, I'll be stuck with mlb.tv. Gainesville = Tampa zone.)

Natty Redlocks
02-25-2007, 11:55 PM
The Reds are my second team, as I am from Chicago and still a Cub fan. I follow the Reds so I have some hope of success. Also, it's convenient since I live down here now.

Bigredfan#1
02-26-2007, 12:08 AM
It would be whoever is playing the Yankees!!

cacollinsmba
02-26-2007, 12:14 AM
Kansas City A's with the great Diego Segui

And who could forget Charles Finley signing Satchel Page to pitch for the A's at age 59. And you thought Krivsky was bad about signing old guys for the bullpen! :D

The Crosley Kid
02-26-2007, 12:18 AM
When I watched the Big Red Machine wipe the dirt with the Pirates in the 70's, I developed a soft spot for the underdogs. I admired one Pirates player who was a very skillfull base stealer. Can anyone refresh my memory as to his name?

RedLegSuperStar
02-26-2007, 12:21 AM
Boston, Dodgers, & A's.. 2nd..3rd.. and 4th

mth123
02-26-2007, 12:22 AM
When I watched the Big Red Machine wipe the dirt with the Pirates in the 70's, I developed a soft spot for the underdogs. I admired one Pirates player who was a very skillfull base stealer. Can anyone refresh my memory as to his name?

Frank Tavaras? Omar Moreno? Dave Cash? Rennie Stennett?

Jpup
02-26-2007, 12:24 AM
Yankees, A's, Twins and now the Tigers since Casey on there. Nobody comes close to the Reds, but I have liked the Yankees since about 93 when I was able to start watching their games on Primestar on MSG. I still follow them somewhat, but I don't really like them as much as I get older. I just love watching baseball except for the Cards, Cubs, and Red Sox. I really could watch baseball all year and never get tired of it.

Spitball
02-26-2007, 12:38 AM
I grew up north of Boston and there was always an argument when we played wiffle ball. We all wanted to be the Red Sox. So we had to pick an alternate team, and I was always the Reds. It was a natural choice since I was born in Cincinnati while my father was working a stint at the Evendale plant of General Electric, but he was usually working at the plant in Lynn, Massacusetts.

Anyway, the Reds are #1A but the Sox are #1B. My whole family loves the Sox, but the Reds were and are still mine alone. Generally, when I discuss baseball, it is about the Sox. Most of my friends are either Sox fans or think of me as a Red Sox fan. It is on this board that I get to talk Reds' baseball.

The Crosley Kid
02-26-2007, 11:40 AM
Frank Tavaras? Omar Moreno? Dave Cash? Rennie Stennett?

None of those sound familiar. The name may have escaped me, but the thrill of watching that Pirate steal numerous bases remains. I was at Crosley as a child, and rootin' for the Reds, but appreciating the fine art of base stealing, regarless of my team loyalty.

Thanks!

hebroncougar
02-26-2007, 12:00 PM
None of those sound familiar. The name may have escaped me, but the thrill of watching that Pirate steal numerous bases remains. I was at Crosley as a child, and rootin' for the Reds, but appreciating the fine art of base stealing, regarless of my team loyalty.

Thanks!

If it was the Big Red Machine, and the 70's, it wasn't Crosley Field. Matty Alou, Freddy Patek would fit the bill in the late 60's if it was at Crosley Field.

Red Leader
02-26-2007, 12:04 PM
The Cleveland Indians have always been my second team. They're AL and from Ohio. I was born in Marion, Ohio in late 1976 and, even as far north as that is, in my earliest baseball memories everyone was a Reds fan. The Indians were terrible until the mid-90s so I kinda was a sypathetic fan as a child and kept up with them through the good times to the present.

The Indians are my second favorite team as well.

My second favorite team in the N.L. is San Diego.

Hands22
02-26-2007, 12:12 PM
The Reds were my second favorite team growing up behind the Expos. When the Expos moved, I had enough and jumped ship to the Reds bandwagon. If I had to pick a 2nd favorite now thoough it would be the Twins.

Johnny Footstool
02-26-2007, 12:16 PM
Moneyball.

Puffy
02-26-2007, 12:19 PM
The Yankees. I also started to follow the Marlins a little when Jack went there and since then with kids like Willis, etc.

bucksfan2
02-26-2007, 12:20 PM
I like San Diego in the NL and also like Oakland because of the small market. Of course I root for the BoSox because I hate the Yankees.

blumj
02-26-2007, 12:28 PM
It would be whoever is playing the Yankees!!
I must admit, I am a Red Sox fan first, last, and forever, and that makes it a tough call for me for 2nd favorite team, between the Reds and whoever's playing the Yankees. Fortunately, there's never a conflict, not even split squad ST games can mess me up on that. :thumbup:

OSUredsFAN
02-26-2007, 01:09 PM
my 2nd team is the Red Sox.

PuffyPig
02-26-2007, 03:06 PM
If it was the Big Red Machine, and the 70's, it wasn't Crosley Field.

For the record, the Reds continued to play in Crosley Field to start the 1970 season. They moved during the season.

RedsFan75
02-26-2007, 04:05 PM
I spend so much time in the area it would have to be the Phillies.

I've travelled there a lot and have come to adopt the teams as my second city type, So Phillies and Eagles come in second to the Reds and Bengals.

mole44
02-26-2007, 04:07 PM
I've travelled there a lot

I'm sorry.....

RANDY IN INDY
02-26-2007, 04:14 PM
For the record, the Reds continued to play in Crosley Field to start the 1970 season. They moved during the season.

:beerme: Last game was played on June 24, 1970 against the Giants. Reds won 5-4 on back to back solo homeruns from Bench and May in the bottom of the 8th.

The Reds did play the Pirates in a weekend series on May 1st, 2nd, and 3rd, at Crosley in 1970.

Cyclone792
02-26-2007, 04:15 PM
Red Sox and A's for me, and it's not so bad since they're both in the American League. There's zero desire whatsoever to root for any other team besides the Reds in the National League.

Heath
02-26-2007, 04:16 PM
Tampa Bay, Cleveland, and Detroit.

I still hate the Dodgers.

BRM
02-26-2007, 04:21 PM
I have a soft spot for the Rockies. Years of living in Colorado has caused me to warm up to them. I like the A's and Tigers in the AL.

MartyFan
02-26-2007, 04:31 PM
Because I lived in the Tampa-St. Pete are for a while I like the D-Rays.

westofyou
02-26-2007, 04:36 PM
http://imagecache2.allposters.com/images/pic/FIP/AS-00084-C~House-of-David-Junior-Baseball-Team-Posters.jpg

RichRed
02-26-2007, 04:43 PM
Always liked the Red Sox because of their offensive firepower, and the fact that they were my dad's team (Ted Williams was his favorite player).

Liked the Mets for a while because the local Triple-A affiliate, the Tides, was their farm team but I soon got over that misguided notion.

Like the Twins a little too since my granddad worked for them in the P.R. dept. a long time ago but I didn't really know him so it's just a small connection.

Reds have always been #1 though, ever since I was a little fella in the 70s.

The Crosley Kid
02-26-2007, 04:43 PM
I used to get those free tickets to Reds games for getting good grades in school. Is that program still happening?

As a youngster, I attended games at both Crosley and Riverfront. So I cannot remember in which year I watched that fantastic base stealing by a Pirate.

I don't know what the Pirates are up to lately, as I only follow Reds.

Westofyou, do tell us about the photo!

RANDY IN INDY
02-26-2007, 05:04 PM
http://imagecache2.allposters.com/images/pic/FIP/AS-00084-C~House-of-David-Junior-Baseball-Team-Posters.jpg

They could cut all those guy's hair, braid it, and make a foul screen behind home plate.;)

Yachtzee
02-26-2007, 06:09 PM

House of David :thumbup:

When I lived in Chicago, my wife was working on me to gain an affinity toward the Cubs. I don't hate them, but I just can't see myself rooting for another NL team. AL is hard because of that infernal DH. That said, I always kind of liked the Red Sox (although ESPN is trying hard to cure me of that), the Tigers, and the Indians.

jbran1114
02-26-2007, 07:37 PM
The Cincinnati Bengals.

I love the Reds and Bengals and don't have it in me to root for another team in either sport.

I agree totally. I thought I was bad about hating other teams, a friend of mine swears he prays that other teams planes would crash. Especially St. Louis.

westofyou
02-26-2007, 07:44 PM
a friend of mine swears he prays that other teams planes would crash. Especially St. Louis.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/07/08/AR2006070800957.html

So, what are soccer fans singing about?

More often, the songs are crude and insulting (and unprintable here). Others are just low blows: Manchester United lost eight team members in a plane crash on a snowy Munich runway in 1958, which provided fodder for generations of rival fans. One recent taunt -- to the Monty Python tune "Always Look on the Bright Side of Life" -- goes: "Always look on the runway for ice."

My friend from Liverpool tells me it goes as thus.

Who's that dieing on the runway, who's that bleeding in the snow..."

BoydsOfSummer
02-26-2007, 11:41 PM
The Donato's Pizza joint here in Hamiltucky has a picture of that House of David team on the wall, along with several other baseball photos. I can't recall if it's the exact same picture though.

The Crosley Kid
02-27-2007, 02:34 AM
Just read all about the House of David. I might have to change my vote. Did they ever play the Reds, I wonder?

http://www.houseofdavidmuseum.org/sports/index.htm

crazybob60
02-27-2007, 02:42 AM
Due to Vladimir Guerrero (favorite player being on the squad) it would be the Angels (and no I am not typing out the first part of their city, its just too long and cumbersome and ridiculous and quite frankly if you want to know the truth behind the matter, I can't remember it all). And yes when Vlad played for the Montreal Expos, see how easy that was Angels, it was the Expos not the Angels.

Ron Madden
02-27-2007, 05:16 AM
I don't have a 2nd favorite team.

I have followed many favorite players through the years.

I still Hate the LA Dodgers to some degree.