PDA

View Full Version : According to Fay, Salmon is impressing

Hoosier Red
02-25-2007, 01:32 PM
http://frontier.cincinnati.com/blogs/redsinsider/default.asp

Narron also mentioned right-hander Brad Salmon as a pitcher who's been impressive early in camp. Salmon, 27, combined to go 7-2 with a 2.44 ERA and five saves at Chattanooga and Louisville last year. He throws hard -- not 98 mph -- but harder than the other relievers. His 72 strikeouts in 57 2/3 innings at Louisville point to that.

Tom Servo
02-25-2007, 01:41 PM
If he has a good spring I would take a chance on Salmon and trade Cormier.

RedsManRick
02-25-2007, 01:44 PM
I think there's a strong chance that Salmon makes the 25 man as Majewski starts the season on the DL.

M2
02-25-2007, 02:01 PM
Salmon's one of the guys I'm really rooting for this spring.

edabbs44
02-25-2007, 02:03 PM
If he has a good spring I would take a chance on Salmon and trade Cormier.

Would love to see it, though getting someone to take Cormier might not be easy.

Falls City Beer
02-25-2007, 02:03 PM

I'm rooting for any bullpen arm to get his fastball up over 85 MPH.

Highlifeman21
02-25-2007, 02:15 PM
I'm rooting for any bullpen arm to get his fastball up over 85 MPH.

Pipe dream.

KronoRed
02-25-2007, 02:16 PM
I thought this was about Tim Salmon at first :lol:

Candy Cummings
02-25-2007, 02:20 PM
You guys are on the money. In general I worry about a guy who is that old and hasn't gotten a look, but when you look at this minor league numbers, in some ways it is amazing he didn't get cut earlier. He must have had some stuff to hang through some of those numbers. He seemed to hit his stride when he was 24 and when they quit trying to make him a starter.

PuffyPig
02-25-2007, 02:31 PM
You guys are on the money. In general I worry about a guy who is that old and hasn't gotten a look, but when you look at this minor league numbers, in some ways it is amazing he didn't get cut earlier. He must have had some stuff to hang through some of those numbers. He seemed to hit his stride when he was 24 and when they quit trying to make him a starter.

When you look at older guys eventually making an impact, you'll find the best chance is as relievers. There have been numerous after thoughts that eventually became good relievers later.

deltachi8
02-25-2007, 02:42 PM
I think the chances of someone other than Wayne K taking Cormier on is slim and none and the bus for slim to leave town just arrived.

pedro
02-25-2007, 03:03 PM
Lefties are always in demand. Even old ones.

captainmorgan07
02-25-2007, 03:21 PM
they 98 mph fastball intrigues me alot i want bullpen guy who can blow it past someone in a tough spot

OnBaseMachine
02-25-2007, 03:35 PM

Same here. I desperately want Salmon to make the team and give us a power arm to stick in the pen.

Bray, Coffey, and Salmon could form a solid trio in the pen. Add Matt Belisle to those three and you have four above average relievers (IMO) who are all fairly young.

M2
02-25-2007, 03:44 PM
Though, given his level of experience to date shouldn't he be called Brad Smolt?

Should he successfully swim upstream to make the major league club, he can upgrade his monicker to Brad Grilse.

OnBaseMachine
02-25-2007, 03:55 PM
Though, given his level of experience to date shouldn't he be called Brad Smolt?

Should he successfully swim upstream to make the major league club, he can upgrade his monicker to Brad Grilse.

Booooooooooooooo!;)

I admit, I laughed.:)

Strikes Out Looking
02-25-2007, 05:15 PM
A Salmon who smokes it in there--I'll call him Lox.

OnBaseMachine
02-25-2007, 06:12 PM
Salmon impresses: Narron said he was pleased with all of his pitchers' performance through four days of live batting practice. But hard-throwing reliever Brad Salmon seemed to have made an impression.

"Brad Salmon has a good arm and shown us that he might give us a little bit of a different look out of the bullpen," Narron said. "A lot of our guys in the bullpen throw the same type of stuff."

Salmon, in the Reds organization since 1999, split last season between Double-A Chattanooga and Triple-A Louisville. With Louisville, the right-hander was 5-1 with a 2.34 ERA in 39 games with 27 walks and 72 strikeouts.

http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20070225&content_id=1815385&vkey=spt2007news&fext=.jsp&c_id=cin

flyer85
02-25-2007, 06:23 PM
If he has a good spring I would take a chance on Salmon and trade Cormier.I can't imagine anyone wanting that contract. I hated that trade from the moment it happened. There was no upside, Cormier's 2006 results with Philly were a complete according to his BPIs, his Cincy performance certainly confirmed it.

Jr's Boy
02-25-2007, 07:37 PM
When you look at older guys eventually making an impact, you'll find the best chance is as relievers. There have been numerous after thoughts that eventually became good relievers later.

Ryan Dempster,Solomon Torres.

Marc D
02-25-2007, 08:37 PM
A couple of quick definitions for Jerry;

"Brad Salmon has a good arm and shown us that he might give us a little bit of a different look out of the bullpen," Narron said.

velocity (distance travelled per unit time) -I agree this is something quite different coming out of our pen the past few years.

"A lot of our guys in the bullpen throw the same type of stuff."

slop(wet feed (especially for pigs) consisting of mostly kitchen waste mixed with water or skimmed or sour milk ) - As in a substance that would be difficult to throw with any velocity.

Jaycint
02-25-2007, 08:43 PM
Same here. I desperately want Salmon to make the team and give us a power arm to stick in the pen.

Bray, Coffey, and Salmon could form a solid trio in the pen. Add Matt Belisle to those three and you have four above average relievers (IMO) who are all fairly young.

I agree totally however I just can't see Narron, assuming he makes the final call, taking a chance on Salmon over some "knows how to play the game" vet like Cormier or whoever else.

I wish he thought that way and was willing to give some of the arms in AAA or AA a chance to sink or swim, especially in the pen. I just don't see it though, I see more of the same old stay in the comfort zone, average to below average bullpen fodder we've grown used to.

I'll come back and eat crow if I turn out to be wrong but I just think there's no way, short of 50 K's in 20 IP, that Salmon makes this team.

Candy Cummings
02-25-2007, 09:20 PM
Candidly, I don't he will either. I mean, knowing how to play the game and all. Salmon's best shot is when someone inevitably gets on the DL.