PDA

View Full Version : Street & Smith reds' predictions...

thatcoolguy_22
02-25-2007, 06:24 PM
Highlight of the mag...

Reds 5th in Central behind evryone but the Pirates

Harang's line
15-9 3.81 171K
-If he would have been pitching in a pennat race last year he would have received Cy Young consideration

Arroyo's
12-8 3.81 148k

Dunn
.242 36 HR 91 RBI 5SB
-Comment on his inabilty to keep from striking out

Weathers
3-4 4.01 21K
-Said Weathers will probably start at closer but should be a set-up man while Coffey was judged too soon.

Ross
.247 23HR 64RBI
-He needs to prove that last season's drought was not due to over exposure

Javier Valentin
.273 10HR 36RBI

Phillips
.256 12HR 52RBI 17SB

Gonzalez
.240 15HR 58RBI 1SB
-Known for the most part for his glovework and stated his 100+K in the last 5 seasons he had 500+ PA

Encarnacion
.282 20HR 84RBI 10SB
They also trash his defensive capabilities but go on to say he has the capability to become a perenial allstar

If a starter is not listed with a projected 2007 campaign then he is not considered to be in the top 30 of his posistion.

Our Top 10 prospects 1-10
1 Homer Bailey
2 Jay Bruce
3 Joey Votto
4 Drew Stubbs
5 Travis Wood
6 Johnny Cueto
7 Paul Janish
8 Sean Watson
9 Chris Valaika
10 Josh Hamilton

They also gave a brief description of each prospect

Lineup
RF Freel
1B Hatteburg
LF Dunn
CF Griffey Jr
3B Encarnacion
C Ross
2B Phillips
SS Gonzalez

Rotation
Harang
Arroyo
Milton
Lohse
Ramirez

Bullpen
Weathers
Coffey
Belisle
Cormier
Bray
Majewski
Stanton

Our top 3 SS of all time
Larkin
Concepcion
McMillan

That would be a quick summary of the article

MrCinatit
02-25-2007, 06:27 PM
Apparently, according to Street and Smith, we either never got Saarloos, or he will be sent to the minors.

redsgabp
02-25-2007, 06:32 PM
dunn with only 26 hr?

get f'in real street and smith

thatcoolguy_22
02-25-2007, 06:34 PM
dunn with only 26 hr?

get f'in real street and smith

sorry it said 36...typo I'll correct

redsgabp
02-25-2007, 06:38 PM
sorry it said 36...typo I'll correct

oh, ok.

lol

thats a little bit better, but i think he will get to a good 40+ hr this year.

BigRed
02-25-2007, 06:48 PM
I don't worry about predictions. They are all a bunch of bunk. If you could live by predictions, there would be no need to play the games.

Degenerate39
02-25-2007, 06:53 PM
Werent the Reds predicted to come in last place last year?

blumj
02-25-2007, 07:36 PM
Apparently, according to Street and Smith, we either never got Saarloos, or he will be sent to the minors.
They usually write these things way too early.

Bigredfan#1
02-25-2007, 11:11 PM
The Reds were picked by most of the so called experts to finish last in 06. The so called experts don't always get it right!

paulrichjr
02-25-2007, 11:22 PM
Personally I think the Reds will be better once again than the experts think. Our pitching will be much better than people think because Krivs really has added some depth here. I just can't see how the Cubs, Astros, Pirates, and Cards are that mch better than us. Now the Brewers....they scare me.

Superdude
02-25-2007, 11:38 PM
Those articles are sweet. How convenient that Arroyo and Harang are predicted to have the exact same ERA down to the hundredth decimal place. Those must be pretty scientific predictions. ;)

thatcoolguy_22
02-25-2007, 11:41 PM
Those articles are sweet. How convenient that Arroyo and Harang are predicted to have the exact same ERA down to the hundredth decimal place. Those must be pretty scientific predictions. ;)

lol no kidding. There really is no method to the maddness. My roomate picked up the mag when he went to the local Food Lion and I thumbed through. I hate with a passion all washington Nationals fans and there unrealistic optimism for the 2009 season...

Superdude
02-25-2007, 11:53 PM
"Mr. Madison, what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I've ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response was there anything that could even be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul!"

That gets my award for best quote of all time. :laugh:

I hate with a passion all washington Nationals fans and there unrealistic optimism for the 2009 season

So the organization with arguably the worst farm system in baseball is excited about the 2009 season? Politics must be slow or something.

MartyFan
02-26-2007, 01:48 AM

Yeah, in my predictions I had Harang and Arroyo both finishing the season with a 1.92 ERA and each had over 200 Strike outs!

:)

thatcoolguy_22
02-26-2007, 03:51 AM
So the organization with arguably the worst farm system in baseball is excited about the 2009 season? Politics must be slow or something.

That is all I hear about from my roomate. Also it was suppose to be something of a joke about our board...nm

but yeah he is constantly talking about how bowden is a genius especially for the trade. I'm usually fairly quick to bring up soriano and he quickly drops the issue though :)

Spring is a great time of year

bucksfan2
02-26-2007, 08:46 AM
It seems that every publication has predicted that every red will get worse from last year. I have not seen any one that has predicted a rise in Ross, Phillips, EE, Harang, Arroyo, etc. Isn't it possible that some of them could have a better season in 2007 than 2006?

red-in-la
02-26-2007, 11:37 AM
They have 15 plus HR's up and down the line up. I don't think that will happened, but if it did, that alone would be more than a 5th place finish.

This is what has always floored me about these mags.....just add up the individual performances they predict and everybody wins the WS....yet, they just "pick" a team to finish in essentially last place.

Joseph
02-26-2007, 12:11 PM
It seems that every publication has predicted that every red will get worse from last year. I have not seen any one that has predicted a rise in Ross, Phillips, EE, Harang, Arroyo, etc. Isn't it possible that some of them could have a better season in 2007 than 2006?

EE and Harang I'd say are probables to have better years than the last. The other three are probably even money to get worse or maintain as all 3 had worse second halves as the league adjusted to them.

Hey Meat
02-27-2007, 03:02 PM
Dunn will hit more homers than 36. I don't buy all of these predictions or power rankings. However, I wish that I had a job where all that I had to do was sit around and make up statistics or rankings and get paid to do it.

Superdude
02-27-2007, 03:59 PM
However, I wish that I had a job where all that I had to do was sit around and make up statistics or rankings and get paid to do it.

I love baseball because there's obviously a better way to look at the game, but the media constantly chooses to feed retarded information to innocent fans. Why isn't Baseball Prospectus stocking shelves with this stuff? For some reason, they feel like that's over everyone's head and they leave it up to some fantasy nerd to take a supposedly educated guess at the players batting average, homeruns, RBI's, and stolen bases. Why does ths affect me? Because whenever I talk about baseball, I either have to dumb myself down or sound like a jerk. I guess espn is finally using OPS a little, but is it too much to ask to bring baseball analysis out of the 1970's?

5DOLLAR-BLEACHERBUM
02-27-2007, 04:23 PM
I'll take 33 hr's and 100 rbi's out of the catchers spot though. Last year they put up 29 hr and 79 rbi's thats a jump of 4 hr's and 21 rbi's. Take the difference between Aurillia and Gonzo which is 20 rbi's and we are plus one in the RBI column. Add in the improvement in defence that Gonz brings and it all looks bright to me. That being said these predictions are crap and I just waisted my time making this point:bang:

registerthis
02-27-2007, 05:23 PM
I hate with a passion all washington Nationals fans and there unrealistic optimism for the 2009 season...

You must frequent different bars than I do.

registerthis
02-27-2007, 05:25 PM
I'm usually fairly quick to bring up soriano and he quickly drops the issue though :)

What should Bowden have done? As it is, he gets a compensatory draft pick from the Cubbies, which probably has a higher likelihood of return than whatever dreck other teams were offering him for Soriano at last year's trading deadline.

You can blame Bowden for a lot of things, but I don't think failing to garner an immediate return on Soriano is one of them.

harangatang
02-27-2007, 05:28 PM
Is Josh Hamilton really the Reds 10th best prospect?

Tom Servo
02-27-2007, 06:10 PM
What should Bowden have done? As it is, he gets a compensatory draft pick from the Cubbies, which probably has a higher likelihood of return than whatever dreck other teams were offering him for Soriano at last year's trading deadline.

You can blame Bowden for a lot of things, but I don't think failing to garner an immediate return on Soriano is one of them.
I'm sure could have one major league ready top prospect along with some other useful parts but JimBo was probably waiting for someone to offer their ace and now he just gets a draft pick that won't help the Nats until years after he's fired.