PDA

View Full Version : Dunn Married

jami1
02-25-2007, 07:33 PM
I have a friend who is from TX and friends with Adam. I read a few threads of people discussing Adam's poor performance at the end of the season. My friend thinks it's attributed to the fact that Adam was dealing with a ton of outside stress. For example getting a girl pregnant and not being ready for a kid or marriage. He had a kid in November and got married this December. Hopefully he won't have as much stress this season.

thatcoolguy_22
02-25-2007, 07:57 PM
I have a friend who is from TX and friends with Adam. I read a few threads of people discussing Adam's poor performance at the end of the season. My friend thinks it's attributed to the fact that Adam was dealing with a ton of outside stress. For example getting a girl pregnant and not being ready for a kid or marriage. He had a kid in November and got married this December. Hopefully he won't have as much stress this season.

people often forget that players are not merely baseball robots but actually people with their own individual lives and stressors. Hopefully Dunny comes back strong

Yachtzee
02-25-2007, 08:06 PM
people often forget that players are not merely baseball robots but actually people with their own individual lives and stressors. Hopefully Dunny comes back strong

Well, Krivsky was looking at signing this guy.

http://kenbondy.com/images/Baseball/Chris_RedMachine_s.jpg

thatcoolguy_22
02-25-2007, 08:08 PM
since his bat is in his right I'm glad he didn't we don't need another lefty in the pen

MrCinatit
02-25-2007, 08:16 PM
Is that the same machine that ran over Ray Fosse in '70?

tsj017
02-25-2007, 08:42 PM

You know, getting married and having a kid isn't exactly a stress-free existence . . .

;)

Redsman14
02-25-2007, 09:01 PM
Dunn is married to my wife's cousin and not only was he dealing with the marriage and baby thing but I think that she was having problems with the pregnancy also so that could have had alot to do with it.

Tom Servo
02-25-2007, 09:01 PM
Well, Krivsky was looking at signing this guy.

http://kenbondy.com/images/Baseball/Chris_RedMachine_s.jpg
The guy or the machine? Because the guy looks like he's got some veteran presence.

marcshoe
02-25-2007, 09:13 PM
'course he looks like he has veteran presence. The guy's Jeff Conine.

geniusMoment
02-25-2007, 09:34 PM
Actually, that's Jeff's younger brother Roy.

justincredible
02-26-2007, 12:06 AM
I think that's Jeff's grandson Merl.

George Anderson
02-26-2007, 01:05 AM
What was Cliff from "Cheers" doing in Cincinnati?

VR
02-26-2007, 09:57 AM

Congrats Creek!

corkedbat
02-26-2007, 11:47 AM
I was wondering why creek hadn't been around as much. :)

flyer85
02-26-2007, 03:38 PM
people often forget that players are not merely baseball robots but actually people with their own individual lives and stressors. Hopefully Dunny comes back strongI remember one Chipper Jones struggling through a really bad season a number of years back when he was going through a very public divorce.

TRF
02-26-2007, 03:57 PM
being married with kids ain't no picnic. I hope Adam is going to adjust ok. parenthood isn't for people that want to act like kids. Unless you act like kids with your kids, and even then.

It's tough to balance work with wife time with kid time. I can't imagine what it's like for professional athletes.

flyer85
02-26-2007, 04:05 PM
being married with kids ain't no picnic. I hope Adam is going to adjust ok. parenthood isn't for people that want to act like kids. kids tends to bring perspective to life. You can come home and found out that your kids will be happy daddy is home, even if you happen to put on the golden sombrero that day.

TRF
02-26-2007, 04:09 PM
And you can come home to find out your kids are struggling in school, or that younger ones have developed RSV. And that can distract you all day at work. perspective works both ways. How mature Adam is will define how he handles this. At work and at home.

RANDY IN INDY
02-26-2007, 04:10 PM
kids tends to bring perspective to life. You can come home and found out that your kids will be happy daddy is home, even if you happen to put on the golden sombrero that day.

Golden sombrero? Strikeouts are bad?;)

Just kiddin' flyer. Kids are exactly as you described, and bring a great deal of perspective to everything that you do.

creek14
02-26-2007, 05:00 PM
I'm pretty sure that Adam knows where babies come from.

If he wasn't ready for the responsibility of a child (and wife), then he should have taken steps to prevent conception.

Yup, having a child can be stressful, but it's time to cowboy up.

gilpdawg
02-26-2007, 05:07 PM
I'm pretty sure that Adam knows where babies come from.

If he wasn't ready for the responsibility of a child (and wife), then he should have taken steps to prevent conception.

Yup, having a child can be stressful, but it's time to cowboy up.
Aw Creek, you're just venting because your main squeeze is off the market. :D :laugh:

smith288
02-26-2007, 05:36 PM
Did he "get a girl pregnant" or did he "get his girl pregnant"? I have taken to thinking Dunn was pretty much a player. Scans the outfield stands for some action after the game. Is that just a persona or did one of those after game fun times bite him in the butt? Also, is there a prenup?

Do I deserve an answer to these prying question? Absolutely! I pay his salary! JK

Redsman14
02-26-2007, 07:08 PM
He had been dating this girl for a while and was already engaged before she got pregnant.

TeamBoone
02-26-2007, 08:25 PM
Do I deserve an answer to these prying question? Absolutely! I pay his salary! JK

Wow! You must make a whole lot of money!

smith288
02-27-2007, 11:21 AM
He had been dating this girl for a while and was already engaged before she got pregnant.
Sounds like my story a little.

smith288
02-27-2007, 11:22 AM
Wow! You must make a whole lot of money!
Yea. Im pretty well to do. lol

creek14
02-27-2007, 12:15 PM
Aw Creek, you're just venting because your main squeeze is off the market. :D :laugh:

Busted. :cry:

Except for the 24 year age difference, and my husband. :p: ;)

jami1
03-01-2007, 07:31 PM
Actually she got pregnant first and then they got engaged b/c of the baby. They've known each other for sometime....but it was far from an exclusive relationship. Another baseball player trapped. YOu would think they would learn from each other.

DTCromer
03-01-2007, 09:37 PM
Dunn is married to my wife's cousin and not only was he dealing with the marriage and baby thing but I think that she was having problems with the pregnancy also so that could have had alot to do with it.

Did Dunn get a girl pregneant in February for the last 5-6 years?

jami1
03-02-2007, 08:06 AM
I know for a fact that for the past several years he was also dating a girl from Houston. Through a mutual friend I happened to be out with them a couple of times. The entire time I was with them AD referred to her as his girlfriend and said she was the woman he was going to marry. This girl was Absolutely beautiful, brilliant and very successful. She's one of those people you'd love to hate b/c she's so perfect but can't b/c she's so nice. I know Adam is a pro athlete....but this girl was way out of his league. All of his friends were even saying how they didn't understand why this girl was dating him. I know they dated for years.
Anyways, it sounds like he was dating at least 2 girls at the same time....who knows if there were more. I guess one managed to get prego first and lock him down. His marriage now is definitely a result of a baby....not b/c he's ready to commit to one woman.

CINCYREDS#1
03-02-2007, 09:56 AM
mayb he wont strike out as much anymore

Yachtzee
03-02-2007, 10:24 AM
mayb he wont strike out as much anymore

With a wife and a baby, I see a lot of "striking out" in his future. <ba-dum-bum-ching>

goreds2
03-03-2007, 08:18 PM
I wish him the best. :thumbup:

Now, let's play some D and get some two out RBI's this year. :beerme:

KittyDuran
03-04-2007, 09:47 AM
With a wife and a baby, I see a lot of "striking out" in his future. <ba-dum-bum-ching>http://lastperson.suncircle.org/Smileys/default/Drums.gif

paintmered
03-04-2007, 09:51 AM
Is it any of our business as to how the baby happened, or what Dunn's relationship was at the time? I'm perfectly fine being spared the details.

Congratulations Adam.

OnBaseMachine
03-04-2007, 10:01 AM
Ain't love grand: Dunn, Doc together again

SARASOTA, Fla. - Before we discuss why Adam Dunn cut back on bass fishing to become a better baseball player, let's take a moment to touch on relationships, maturity, brotherly love and peace on earth.

Dunn and I didn't speak last season. The whole season. It's pretty hard for Dunn to blow off anyone for a week, let alone a year. He's a long, tall, laid-back Texan, engaging and appealing, who has fun even when he isn't having fun. It takes a special talent to antagonize him into a six-month silence.

I had the talent. I had the skeelz. In about June, I asked Dunn in the home clubhouse if he had a minute. "Nope," he said.

Is it because you don't have a minute, or is it because it's me who's asking? "Both," Dunn replied. "Nobody in here likes you. Why is that?"

"Beats me, Adam. Why is that?" I said.

"Because you're (a well-known orifice)," Dunn said.

"Does that mean you won't talk to me?" I asked.

And so it went. So it was with more than a little what-the-heck that I approached Dunn Friday. I figured it was a new year and, it being spring and all, maybe love was in the air. Besides, I needed a column.

"Can we bury the hatchet?" I asked Dunn. I was hopeful, but not optimistic, that he wouldn't bury it in my skull. Did I mention things were rocky? If we were married, we'd have been on Dr. Phil.

An hour later, in the soft and tender sunshine of a Florida morn made for hearts in love, Dunner and I had turned the page. I'm sorry I called you Adam Dumb, I said. I'm sorry I said no one likes you, he said.

OK, so those weren't spoken thoughts. They didn't have to be. Between good friends, it's all been said. Now then ...

The point is not that Adam Dunn intends to be a "great" outfielder. He is a very good athlete, but lots of being a great outfielder is instinctual. He can be better. Probably, he'll never be great. The point is, Dunn cares enough to want to be great. All that means is everything.

You can talk all you want about fifth starters, Homer Bailey, who closes games and who should play center field. There is no more important piece of the Reds pie now than Adam Dunn. Forget the defense. If Dunn can retain his long-ball stroke while cutting back on his strikeouts ... if he can remember how to shorten his swing when he's behind in the count ... if he can bat .275 and not .235 ... if he can hit gaps and occasionally hit a pitch the other way ...

The man will hit 40 homers, drive in 125 runs, and the fears about the Reds' lack of punch will fade. Without Austin Kearns and Felipe Lopez, Dunn's bat is that important.

"Everything has always come to me," Dunn said. "(Defense) didn't. Now I realize I have to work for it to get better. Maturity."

A few things have happened to make Dunn grow up. He finally tired of "the pounding" he took from media and fans for his defense and for his perceived nonchalance toward the game. He got married in December. He had an abysmal August and September. And at age 27, Dunn decided he'd finally tap into his considerable potential.

"I should have done this a long time ago," Dunn said. "There's no other way for me to go about it now. From now until I retire. I just know I'm capable of more. That's what's been so frustrating."

"For you and everyone else," I said.

"I agree with you 100 percent," Dunn said.

"Whoa, lemme make sure the tape's running. You agree with me 100 percent?" I said.

"That'll be the last time, probably," said Dunn.

I said I figured he knew he could make $10 million a year just by hitting home runs. He said: "I don't want to do that. That's not what I want to be known for. I know I'm better."

I said the "embarrassment" of last August and September pushed him now. He said: "Embarrassment is a strong word. I was disappointed. It's like, you can take your mom yelling and screaming at you. But when she says she's disappointed in you ..."

I said the advice he got as a 22-year-old - pull the ball, don't walk so much - had infected his game ever since. He agreed. He praised Reds coaches Billy Hatcher and Brook Jacoby as being "the first two guys in those jobs who I completely trust." Hatcher is teaching him better defense. Jacoby is helping him with his hitting.

I asked him how much fishing he'd done in the offseason. Dunn is an obsessive bass man. In the past, it had been a metaphor for his what-the-hang attitude.

He said he hardly fished at all. That's when I knew he was serious.

"I didn't do a lot of things I like to do. I didn't have a lot of time," he said.

I asked him what he expected from himself this year. "To put together a complete season for the first time in my career. Numbers-wise, I have no idea. I look back on the years and say, 'This was a good year, but it could have been a great year.' I want to have a great year," Dunn said.

Regardless, I'm there for him. There's no turning back for Dunner and me. We're meant for each other.

I wished him the best. I actually meant it.

E-mail pdaugherty@enquirer.com

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070304/COL03/703040378/1071

smith288
03-05-2007, 11:42 PM
Is it any of our business as to how the baby happened, or what Dunn's relationship was at the time? I'm perfectly fine being spared the details.

Congratulations Adam.
No it wasnt necessary. But there is no rules to asking. I don't have to be given any answers and my sarcasm was hopefully noted when I posted the question. If you didnt note the sarcasm, then im sorry.

coachw513
03-06-2007, 09:24 AM
Ain't love grand: Dunn, Doc together again

SARASOTA, Fla. - Before we discuss why Adam Dunn cut back on bass fishing to become a better baseball player, let's take a moment to touch on relationships, maturity, brotherly love and peace on earth.

Dunn and I didn't speak last season. The whole season. It's pretty hard for Dunn to blow off anyone for a week, let alone a year. He's a long, tall, laid-back Texan, engaging and appealing, who has fun even when he isn't having fun. It takes a special talent to antagonize him into a six-month silence.

I had the talent. I had the skeelz. In about June, I asked Dunn in the home clubhouse if he had a minute. "Nope," he said.

Is it because you don't have a minute, or is it because it's me who's asking? "Both," Dunn replied. "Nobody in here likes you. Why is that?"

"Beats me, Adam. Why is that?" I said.

"Because you're (a well-known orifice)," Dunn said.

"Does that mean you won't talk to me?" I asked.

And so it went. So it was with more than a little what-the-heck that I approached Dunn Friday. I figured it was a new year and, it being spring and all, maybe love was in the air. Besides, I needed a column.

"Can we bury the hatchet?" I asked Dunn. I was hopeful, but not optimistic, that he wouldn't bury it in my skull. Did I mention things were rocky? If we were married, we'd have been on Dr. Phil.

An hour later, in the soft and tender sunshine of a Florida morn made for hearts in love, Dunner and I had turned the page. I'm sorry I called you Adam Dumb, I said. I'm sorry I said no one likes you, he said.

OK, so those weren't spoken thoughts. They didn't have to be. Between good friends, it's all been said. Now then ...

The point is not that Adam Dunn intends to be a "great" outfielder. He is a very good athlete, but lots of being a great outfielder is instinctual. He can be better. Probably, he'll never be great. The point is, Dunn cares enough to want to be great. All that means is everything.

You can talk all you want about fifth starters, Homer Bailey, who closes games and who should play center field. There is no more important piece of the Reds pie now than Adam Dunn. Forget the defense. If Dunn can retain his long-ball stroke while cutting back on his strikeouts ... if he can remember how to shorten his swing when he's behind in the count ... if he can bat .275 and not .235 ... if he can hit gaps and occasionally hit a pitch the other way ...

The man will hit 40 homers, drive in 125 runs, and the fears about the Reds' lack of punch will fade. Without Austin Kearns and Felipe Lopez, Dunn's bat is that important.

"Everything has always come to me," Dunn said. "(Defense) didn't. Now I realize I have to work for it to get better. Maturity."

A few things have happened to make Dunn grow up. He finally tired of "the pounding" he took from media and fans for his defense and for his perceived nonchalance toward the game. He got married in December. He had an abysmal August and September. And at age 27, Dunn decided he'd finally tap into his considerable potential.

"I should have done this a long time ago," Dunn said. "There's no other way for me to go about it now. From now until I retire. I just know I'm capable of more. That's what's been so frustrating."

"For you and everyone else," I said.

"I agree with you 100 percent," Dunn said.

"Whoa, lemme make sure the tape's running. You agree with me 100 percent?" I said.

"That'll be the last time, probably," said Dunn.

I said I figured he knew he could make $10 million a year just by hitting home runs. He said: "I don't want to do that. That's not what I want to be known for. I know I'm better."

I said the "embarrassment" of last August and September pushed him now. He said: "Embarrassment is a strong word. I was disappointed. It's like, you can take your mom yelling and screaming at you. But when she says she's disappointed in you ..."

I said the advice he got as a 22-year-old - pull the ball, don't walk so much - had infected his game ever since. He agreed. He praised Reds coaches Billy Hatcher and Brook Jacoby as being "the first two guys in those jobs who I completely trust." Hatcher is teaching him better defense. Jacoby is helping him with his hitting.

I asked him how much fishing he'd done in the offseason. Dunn is an obsessive bass man. In the past, it had been a metaphor for his what-the-hang attitude.

He said he hardly fished at all. That's when I knew he was serious.

"I didn't do a lot of things I like to do. I didn't have a lot of time," he said.

I asked him what he expected from himself this year. "To put together a complete season for the first time in my career. Numbers-wise, I have no idea. I look back on the years and say, 'This was a good year, but it could have been a great year.' I want to have a great year," Dunn said.

Regardless, I'm there for him. There's no turning back for Dunner and me. We're meant for each other.

I wished him the best. I actually meant it.

E-mail pdaugherty@enquirer.com

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070304/COL03/703040378/1071

2 thoughts...first, we (or I at least) easily forget the dynamic that exists between players and the media...it truly is a delicate balance between recognizing both sides have to do a job and the personal feelings that will naturally exist...

Next, I'm conflicted whether to be proud of Dunn for "growing up" (if his state of mind is as he stated) or to simply shake my head at yet another enormously high-priced athlete that had to get to this point to decide he wanted to be serious about his craft :confused: I guess I'll lean to the former and continue to root for Dunn to become the force he is capable of becoming...

If Dunn has a monster year...If Lohse and Milton...If Griffey's health...If a closer...

Ah, the joys of wishful, spring thinking :D