PDA

View Full Version : Jose Guillen shows up to Mariners Camp Overweight

jmcclain19
02-25-2007, 08:51 PM
Way to endear yourself to your new team Jose

http://seattle.mariners.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20070221&content_id=1810487&vkey=spt2007news&fext=.jsp&c_id=sea

Slimming down: Hargrove confirmed Wednesday that right fielder Jose Guillen reported to camp heavier than the team expected and is doing extra conditioning work on the side to slim down.

"He's a little heavier than he would like and we would like," Hargrove said of Guillen, who is listed at 195 pounds. "We've got plenty of time. We're not worried about it. He's in great baseball shape. We're trying to take a few pounds off."

RedFanAlways1966
02-25-2007, 09:14 PM
"He's a little heavier than he would like and we would like," Hargrove said of Guillen, who is listed at 195 pounds. "We've got plenty of time. We're not worried about it. He's in great baseball shape. We're trying to take a few pounds off."

Great baseball shape? What exactly does that mean?!? Like Babe Ruth... nah, surely Hargrove doesn't mean that.

Oh well... gives him more weight to throw bats through the clubhouse wall when he doesn't see his name in the starting lineup.

marcshoe
02-25-2007, 09:15 PM
Great baseball shape? What exactly does that mean?!?

A baseball is round.

pedro
02-25-2007, 10:29 PM
A baseball is round.

notes are round...man

jerry garcia

westofyou
02-26-2007, 09:50 AM
Guillen's upside is also his downside

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/sports/2003589128_brewer26.html?syndication=rss

People like Guillen won't change, so forget that daydream. Of all the intricate projections the Mariners are banking on to be a winner, this one is among the toughest. They are forecasting Guillen can stay healthy and happy enough to suppress his volatile nature.

You also sense management wouldn't mind if a small dose of Guillen's fire singed a tepid team. That's a dangerous hope. But that's how desperate the Mariners are for some form of passionate leadership.

"Trust me, if I see something wrong with what's going on with this team during the season, if somebody's not doing what he's supposed to be doing, I don't care who it is -- I'm going to step up and get in your face and tell you whatever I need to tell you," Guillen said. "Like it or don't like it. Get mad at me, whatever. But I'm going to tell you. And if we need to get into an argument, we'll get into an argument."

Guillen dropped that tidbit amid a pleasant conversation. He said it matter-of-factly. No venom, just the truth. That's who he is.

Who gets to let Jose know he's out of line?

Johnny Footstool
02-26-2007, 10:47 AM
Note to Mike Hargrove: get a urine-proof blotter for your desk.

Always Red
02-26-2007, 11:22 AM
it's probably someone else's fault, and Jose's gonna be mad about it all year...

Heath
02-26-2007, 11:29 AM
Mike Hargrove will probably be the man in charge of keeping Guillen in line. He's dealt with Albert Belle, you know.

westofyou
03-24-2007, 11:21 AM
http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/baseball/308887_mbok24.html

"Against these guys, I'm gonna tell you straightforward, the anger comes out of me," the Mariners right fielder said Friday. "I want to kill all those guys."

Despite his reputation as an angry guy, Guillen meant "kill" in the competitive, not the literal, sense. Metaphorically, he helped kill the Angels on Friday, hitting a two-run homer in the first inning and going 3-for-4 in Seattle's 10-6 victory.

"I love a lot of those guys I played with over there, but there's some guys I don't really love over there, and I want to show them something," Guillen said. "The decision they made was a stupid one, and it should have been handled different.

RedFanAlways1966
03-24-2007, 11:34 AM
Guillen said. "The decision they made was a stupid one, and it should have been handled different.

Could he mean that he should have kept his big mouth shut rather than publicly critcizing his manager?

Chip R
03-24-2007, 10:09 PM
Could he mean that he should have kept his big mouth shut rather than publicly critcizing his manager?

He should have kept his fly shut.

lollipopcurve
03-27-2007, 06:34 PM
I've got him on one of my fantasy teams, and I may end up having him on both. I like watching Guillen play ball, no matter how worked up he gets off the field. In terms of vibe, he's the polar opposite of Austin Kearns. Wonder which one of those two guys will have a better OPS this year...

kheidg-
03-27-2007, 11:40 PM
I've got him on one of my fantasy teams, and I may end up having him on both. I like watching Guillen play ball, no matter how worked up he gets off the field. In terms of vibe, he's the polar opposite of Austin Kearns. Wonder which one of those two guys will have a better OPS this year...

If they both play a full season my money is on Kearns.

However, more than likely I see Guillen only getting about 300 at bats.

lollipopcurve
03-28-2007, 08:42 AM
However, more than likely I see Guillen only getting about 300 at bats.

Why? My sense was he'd be a full-timer.

KronoRed
03-28-2007, 01:16 PM
I'm thinking he'll get hurt

kheidg-
03-29-2007, 09:26 PM
I'm thinking he'll get hurt

My thoughts exactly.

westofyou
04-11-2007, 11:19 AM
Baseballs at Twenty Paces (http://www.baseballmusings.com/)

The feud between Jose Guillen and Brendan Donnelly escalated last night after Donnelly struck out Jose and then hit Johjima with a pitch. Jose, ever the calm soul, handled the situation well:

Yesterday, in a game that was 14-1 in the eighth inning, Donnelly fanned Guillen on three pitches, punctuating the strikeout with a gesture that caught Guillen's ire.

Guillen had to be restrained from going after Donnelly, and the benches and bullpens emptied. When the game resumed, Donnelly hit the next batter, Kenji Johjima, prompting an immediate ejection from plate umpire Phil Cuzzi.

Jose wants to settle it on the field of honor:

"If he wants to take care of this problem, our clubhouses are pretty close, so he can have one of the batboys come get me outside and we can take care of this as men. That's it. That's all I have to say."

How about this? One of them stands on first base, the other on third. Each gets a bucket of balls and the two throw at each other until one falls down.

Redsland
04-11-2007, 11:40 AM
"If he wants to take care of this problem, our clubhouses are pretty close, so he can have one of the batboys come get me outside and we can take care of this as men."
Uh, you mean like...on the baseball diamond, Jose?

:rolleyes:

Chip R
04-11-2007, 11:46 AM
Pistols at dawn is the only way to solve this.

GoReds
04-11-2007, 11:55 AM
Rock, paper, scissors.

Give Donnalley the rock.

Jr's Boy
04-11-2007, 12:36 PM
Well we need a right handed bat,and he resurrected his career in Cinci.

westofyou
04-11-2007, 12:53 PM

Ughh...

KronoRed
04-11-2007, 01:24 PM
Too expensive and a head case to boot, no thanks.

Chip R
04-11-2007, 01:36 PM

Great. Where's he going to play?

Ravenlord
04-11-2007, 02:25 PM
How about this? One of them stands on first base, the other on third. Each gets a bucket of balls and the two throw at each other until one falls down. i'd pay good money, and/or drive up to 300 miles to see them do this. ahhh....if only MLB would allow...

Always Red
04-11-2007, 04:10 PM
Great. Where's he going to play?

He'd be the 5th OF, PH'er off the bench, and be whining and crying in the papers everyday about not playing, and probably would wind up literally brawling with JN and WK in the manager's office.

Might be kind of exciting? :D

westofyou
04-20-2007, 10:11 AM
http://seattle.mariners.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20070419&content_id=1919359&vkey=news_sea&fext=.jsp&c_id=sea

Jose is a quote magnet

SEATTLE -- Jose Guillen won't forgive or forget. That's just the way he wants it.

Guillen, in his first season as the Seattle Mariners' right fielder, is returning to Anaheim this weekend, a place where he says "was one of the toughest times in my career."

He still holds a grudge against the Angels, particularly manager Mike Scioscia, from when he played there in 2004. The friction started late that season when he was hit by a pitch and accused his pitchers and the manager of not protecting him by retaliating.

"People can say whatever they want to say," Guillen said. "And when I'm wrong, I'm wrong, and when I'm right, I'm right. I know he said he pulled me into his office and talked to me, but he never did."

Then in a Sept. 25 game, Scioscia removed him for a pinch-hitter, and after the game, Guillen leveled some harsh criticism of Scioscia. Guillen, who had 27 home runs at the time with 104 RBIs, was suspended for the rest of the season and the playoffs. The Players Union filed a grievance and a financial settlement was established. But a relationship never was.

"No, no chance," said Guillen, when asked if he would like to talk to Scioscia. "No, and I don't want to. I don't think our relationship is ever going to be fixed. I don't like the situation, the way it was handled. What happened was wrong. It has not been settled with me. He doesn't have a spot in my heart.

"I don't want to put it behind me. I think I'm a better player when I'm mad."

He bases that attitude on what happened two years ago when he played in Anaheim as a member of the Washington Nationals. He was booed heavily by the fans. "But I just used that as motivation," Guillen said. "From that point, I was on.

"It's a different Jose Guillen there. It's just something in me; I don't know what it is."

Guillen said he will not address the issue again in Anaheim "because I don't want to cause any distractions.''

lollipopcurve
05-17-2007, 09:22 AM
I like watching Guillen play ball, no matter how worked up he gets off the field. In terms of vibe, he's the polar opposite of Austin Kearns. Wonder which one of those two guys will have a better OPS this year...

Update, which may interest me only....

Kearns (160+ PA): .260/.325/.427/.752
Guillen (110+ PA): .283/.357/.460/.817

lollipopcurve
07-17-2007, 10:29 AM
Again, just to amuse myself and tweak the Guillen haters...

Kearns .251/.324/.365/.689
Guillen .288/.359/.459/.818

westofyou
07-17-2007, 10:32 AM

Typical Jose, has a MONSTER month and pushes his numbers up high.

At the end of last month he was at .740 OPS, the past 2 weeks

.426/.491/.702

jojo
07-17-2007, 10:32 AM

Guillen's bad ankles make him a defensive liability so Kearns closes the gap a bit with the leather. But its fairly impressive for a righty to put up Guillen's numbers while playing a bunch of games in Safeco.

lollipopcurve
08-23-2007, 11:59 AM
Latest on this epic showdown of ex-Reds rightfielders.

Kearnsy closing the gap.....

Kearns: .258/.343/.396/.739
Guillen: .292/.361/.461/.822

jojo
08-23-2007, 12:59 PM
Latest on this epic showdown of ex-Reds rightfielders.

Kearnsy closing the gap.....

Kearns: .258/.343/.396/.739
Guillen: .292/.361/.461/.822

Ya but Kearns' glove goes a long way towards making up for the difference as Guillen's bad ankles have meant that it's debatable that Guillen's bat can carry his glove this year (think Griffey and Dye bad defensively).