PDA

View Full Version : What is wrong with Brad Salmon?

jbran1114
02-26-2007, 12:02 AM
Where is all the chatter about him making the big club's bullpen? Something has to be wrong with him. Maybe I am missing something.

cacollinsmba
02-26-2007, 12:08 AM
Where is all the chatter about him making the big club's bullpen? Something has to be wrong with him. Maybe I am missing something.

Is it just me, or am I the only one that wants to call this guy Brad "The Animal" Salmon? I know that was Brad Leslie's nickname, but with a name like Salmon... :D

mth123
02-26-2007, 12:20 AM

I think he should make the team. But with all the mediocre glut on contracts in front of him, I just don't see how he'll fit unless a couple guys are moved or injured.

There should be at least one spot set aside for guys like Salmon to get a chance. The Reds have multiple young cheap guys that can fill a role, but you never find out when guys like Cormier and Weathers are given relatively big money to stink-up the joint. The Reds could have pocketed that cash or combined it to get one difference maker, while rotating Salmon, Coutlangus, Medlock, Burton, etc through the open spots to try and find some life for the future.

I'm rooting for a Cormier trade, a stashing of EZ and Maj on an early rehab, and a spot for Salmon on the 25 man.

Superdude
02-26-2007, 12:50 AM
I'm rooting for a Cormier trade

I'm rooting for a Cormier retirement party. Giving this guy a bullpen spot over Salmon or somebody just doesn't make any sense at all. So far I've learned that WayneK likes to make a lot of little moves that don't make any sense at all eg. Germano - Cormier Let's try and make a jump into the DIPS era here Wayne. To your disappointment, Rheal Cormier will never again post a sub 2 ERA, or possibly even a sub 5 ERA for that matter.

harangatang
02-26-2007, 01:22 AM
The second coming of King Fish in the MLB.

guttle11
02-26-2007, 01:26 AM
I heard he was getting smoked.

http://www.pwtorture.com/yabbfiles/Smilies/rimshot.gif

Yachtzee
02-26-2007, 01:41 AM
Is it just me, or am I the only one that wants to call this guy Brad "The Animal" Salmon? I know that was Brad Leslie's nickname, but with a name like Salmon... :D

Brad "The Mackerel" Salmon.

jbran1114
02-26-2007, 01:44 AM
The guy will turn 27 this year. Maybe he needs another 13 years experience before being considered.

MartyFan
02-26-2007, 02:40 AM
I'm rooting for a Cormier retirement party. Giving this guy a bullpen spot over Salmon or somebody just doesn't make any sense at all. So far I've learned that WayneK likes to make a lot of little moves that don't make any sense at all eg. Germano - Cormier Let's try and make a jump into the DIPS era here Wayne. To your disappointment, Rheal Cormier will never again post a sub 2 ERA, or possibly even a sub 5 ERA for that matter.

Read my signature and know that what you learned is what Special K has been teaching since he arrived here.

KronoRed
02-26-2007, 03:53 AM
The guy will turn 27 this year. Maybe he needs another 13 years experience before being considered.

At 40 I'm seeing a super vet that will know how to win :devil:

thatcoolguy_22
02-26-2007, 04:53 AM
Brad "only upstream" salmon

or

Brad "avoiding bears since 1980) Salmon

I prefer the latter

redsfanfalcon
02-26-2007, 07:43 AM
Not really sure why I understand all of the Cormier bashing on this board. Yeah, I too will root for a guy like Salmon, but Cormier was effective in a launching pad like Citizens Bank Park in Philly, and he can be here too.

mth123
02-26-2007, 07:46 AM
Not really sure why I understand all of the Cormier bashing on this board. Yeah, I too will root for a guy like Salmon, but Cormier was effective in a launching pad like Citizens Bank Park in Philly, and he can be here too.

BABIP creation. Check 2005.

redsfanfalcon
02-26-2007, 08:31 AM
BABIP creation. Check 2005.

I just looked it up...gotcha, but he still COULD? I try to stay optimistic...:thumbup:

TheWalls
02-26-2007, 10:12 AM
I think it would be a VERY good sign if one or two of the 26-27 year old relievers pushed some of the retreads into a timely retirement. Just not sure Jerry's got the stones to do it, even if they clearly outperform in camp. Maybe take two or three months of old farts getting shelled before the youngsters get a call up. Hope not.

Kc61
02-26-2007, 11:10 AM
I think it would be a VERY good sign if one or two of the 26-27 year old relievers pushed some of the retreads into a timely retirement. Just not sure Jerry's got the stones to do it, even if they clearly outperform in camp. Maybe take two or three months of old farts getting shelled before the youngsters get a call up. Hope not.

Here's the problem. These "old" guys, Stanton, Weathers, Cormier, have had long and pretty successful careers.

Salmon, I believe, has never thrown an inning of major league ball. I don't know if Salmon has ever been in major league spring training. I do know that last year was a big turnaround for him in the minors. He still is not a highly rated prospect by BA and other publication.

Redszone loves new guys from the farm system. It hates older guys from other organizations.

Why don't we try this? Let Salmon throw some outings this spring. Make them early in games, while the other team's starting hitters are still out there. Let's see how he does.

I am all for giving Salmon a shot. I hope he makes it. I'm not ready to award him a spot on the roster just yet.

Sea Ray
02-26-2007, 11:24 AM
The track record of this organization is they will start the season with marginally talented retreads and only after they bomb in the regular season will they actually be cut in favor of a Brad Salmon or other younger player. That's a shame because then we have to go through the pain of losing actual games before seeing the light. Why not fix this problem before the season starts?

I see no reason to start the season with a ton of pitchers over 30: Stanton, Weathers, Cormier. Then let's look at the non roster invitees that you know Wk loves: Wilson, Ligtenberg, Meadows, Eddie, Shearn, Santos and maybe even Mercker.

Kc61
02-26-2007, 11:46 AM
The track record of this organization is they will start the season with marginally talented retreads and only after they bomb in the regular season will they actually be cut in favor of a Brad Salmon or other younger player. That's a shame because then we have to go through the pain of losing actual games before seeing the light. Why not fix this problem before the season starts?

I see no reason to start the season with a ton of pitchers over 30: Stanton, Weathers, Cormier. Then let's look at the non roster invitees that you know Wk loves: Wilson, Ligtenberg, Meadows, Eddie, Shearn, Santos and maybe even Mercker.

If you look at the track record you will see that the Reds afford opportunities to young pitchers they believe can handle the major leagues. Belisle. Coffey. Bray. Occasionally Shackelford, as a fill-in.

But youth does not automatically mean a pitcher is capable of handling the major leagues. The Reds prefer someone with a track record -- even a spotty one -- as compared to a guy who they think lacks major league ability.

A couple of years ago many of us -- myself included -- couldn't understand why "retreads" were pitching instead of Chris Booker. Now that Booker has had major league exposure, we understand that decision.

I'm sure there's a reason Salmon is about 27 and hasn't yet pitched in the majors. It seems he now may be ready. I trust the Reds to make that decision.

Johnny Footstool
02-26-2007, 11:56 AM
Brad "Spawning" Salmon -- no one would ever go near him.

5DOLLAR-BLEACHERBUM
02-26-2007, 12:06 PM

Please stop using the phrase "track record of this organization" when the owner and GM have just started their second year. A track record is the sum of recognized accomplishments, lets give em some time to make this team their own.

bucksfan2
02-26-2007, 12:26 PM
The bullpen is a place where an older pitcher can thrive because it doesn't take as much of a toll on their body. Heck look at all the reds pen and most of them look very out of shape. That said I dont understand why the reds wouldn't look to get younger through their minors. I mean what do these younger pitchers have to do in order to get a shot? I would much rather have a younger reliever who has to work through some dificulties than an older pitcher pitch mediocre.

flyer85
02-26-2007, 12:29 PM
Not really sure why I understand all of the Cormier bashing on this board. Yeah, I too will root for a guy like Salmon, but Cormier was effective in a launching pad like Citizens Bank Park in Philly, and he can be here too.Cornier in Philly in 2006 was nothing but a complete fluke, a statistical anomaly who just had an incredible amount of good fortune because his BPIs were as bad as ever, it just didn't show up in his ERA(but it sure did in Cincy).

Sea Ray
02-26-2007, 12:59 PM
Please stop using the phrase "track record of this organization" when the owner and GM have just started their second year. A track record is the sum of recognized accomplishments, lets give em some time to make this team their own.

Even folks who have been around one year have a track record. I can put together an entire pitching staff composed of 30+ year old pitchers who contributed very little to this staff last year. Here you go:

Rick White, Ryan Franklin,Mike Burns, Rheal Cormier, Chris Michalak, Chris Hammond, Jason Johnson, Sun Woo Kim, Joe Mays and Estaban Yan.

That's a lot of "swing and miss" from one organization in one year.

Sea Ray
02-26-2007, 01:06 PM
I'm sure there's a reason Salmon is about 27 and hasn't yet pitched in the majors. It seems he now may be ready. I trust the Reds to make that decision.

I don't think Salmon should be given an inside track to the big club. He needs to earn it and that might include going to AAA this year. But money given to the likes of Cormier and Stanton are risky. If they bomb we're out a lot of $$. I also bet that they'll be given the chance to blow precious leads much more often than a cheap younger player. This increases the exposure of the club as a whole.

Time will tell whether these are good decisions and I hope they work out great for the Reds. Personally I would have kept the wallet shut and taken my chances with the likes of Shackelford, EZ and Belisle.

M2
02-26-2007, 02:05 PM
I would imagine the guy Salmon needs to beat out is Gary Majewski (who has an option). Given Majewski's lingering health issues and his general hittable nature, a swing-and-miss pitcher like Salmon could bump him.

IslandRed
02-26-2007, 02:23 PM
The bullpen is a place where an older pitcher can thrive because it doesn't take as much of a toll on their body. Heck look at all the reds pen and most of them look very out of shape. That said I dont understand why the reds wouldn't look to get younger through their minors. I mean what do these younger pitchers have to do in order to get a shot? I would much rather have a younger reliever who has to work through some dificulties than an older pitcher pitch mediocre.

As a rule, I would prefer having young guys with good arms over veteran mediocrities. The problem with playing "sink or swim," though, is making sure you have a contingency in case the first guy sinks, which is always a good possibility when breaking into the majors. And then the replacement might get hurt. Multiply that by several bullpen spots and you'd better have a whole mess of good major-league-ready arms. I don't think we do.

Having said that, I think the Reds went to the "reliable veteran" well once too often. I don't mind Stanton and Weathers but I'd like to shed Cormier if we can.

Chip R
02-26-2007, 02:32 PM
I would imagine the guy Salmon needs to beat out is Gary Majewski (who has an option). Given Majewski's lingering health issues and his general hittable nature, a swing-and-miss pitcher like Salmon could bump him.

Problem with that is that Wayne traded for Majewski and Salmon is a holdover from the JimBo regime. If Wayne is still trying to sell people that that trade was good, Majewski's going to have to help him out by pitching well for the Reds, not the Bats.

M2
02-26-2007, 02:41 PM
Problem with that is that Wayne traded for Majewski and Salmon is a holdover from the JimBo regime. If Wayne is still trying to sell people that that trade was good, Majewski's going to have to help him out by pitching well for the Reds, not the Bats.

Hopefully he'll be more concerned about winning than saving face, but obviously that complication could arise.

Yet even if Krivsky were inclined to operate that way, Majewski's perpetually sore shoulder could give him an out. Majewski legitimiately could be unfit for duty or, if he's just ineffective, the Reds have an out, claiming that Majewski hasn't recovered from the injury that should have been disclosed to them before the deal went down. Plus, if Salmon turns out to be a good pitcher with some power stuff, then Majewski becomes water under the bridge to a certain extent.

Obviously it's more likely that Salmon won't completely blow the doors off throughout ST and that Majewski will break camp with the major league club, but Majewski is probably the most vulnerable guy among the team's top six relievers and he's right handed (LH relievers seemingly compete for spots in a different part of the managerial brain).

Chip R
02-26-2007, 02:48 PM
Hopefully he'll be more concerned about winning than saving face, but obviously that complication could arise.

Yet even if Krivsky were inclined to operate that way, Majewski's perpetually sore shoulder could give him an out. Majewski legitimiately could be unfit for duty or, if he's just ineffective, the Reds have an out, claiming that Majewski hasn't recovered from the injury that should have been disclosed to them before the deal went down. Plus, if Salmon turns out to be a good pitcher with some power stuff, then Majewski becomes water under the bridge to a certain extent.

Obviously it's more likely that Salmon won't completely blow the doors off throughout ST and that Majewski will break camp with the major league club, but Majewski is probably the most vulnerable guy among the team's top six relievers and he's right handed (LH relievers seemingly compete for spots in a different part of the managerial brain).

I think most GMs are going to give the benefit of the doubt to a guy they wanted rather than a guy like Salmon. It's just human nature.

But I do think Majewski's either going to be on the 25 man roster or on the DL on Opening Day. You're right about blaming the injury on JimBo. That would play well with fans and the media because they want to believe JimBo screwed the Reds witht heir pants on. And it wouldn't surprise me if Majewski gets his shoulder cut on sooner rather than later.

Kc61
02-26-2007, 03:15 PM
I don't think Salmon should be given an inside track to the big club. He needs to earn it and that might include going to AAA this year. But money given to the likes of Cormier and Stanton are risky. If they bomb we're out a lot of $$. I also bet that they'll be given the chance to blow precious leads much more often than a cheap younger player. This increases the exposure of the club as a whole.

Time will tell whether these are good decisions and I hope they work out great for the Reds. Personally I would have kept the wallet shut and taken my chances with the likes of Shackelford, EZ and Belisle.

With respect, if you would "take your chances with the likes of Shack, EZ and Belisle" I am glad the GM doesn't share your views.

Mike Stanton, with the Giants end of 2006, was basically lights out, was closing games with success. When have Shack, EZ and Belisle ever shown that kind of ability?

With all the talk that Cormier was lucky last year, his major league success rate is just miles ahead of the guys you suggest.

For me, the major leagues is not a tryout camp. You bring up guys if they are ready and have the ability to be good. You don't bring up guys just because they are young.

That said, it looks like Salmon is about ready to take the plunge. Let's see him have a good spring and then take a shot with him, particularly if there is an open spot (Majewski) due to injury.

flyer85
02-26-2007, 03:26 PM
Mike Stanton, with the Giants end of 2006, was basically lights out, was closing games with success.... and hoping you get anywhere near that kind of performance in 2007 from a 40 year old non bat missing reliever is a poor bet. I would say look at his Gnats numbers and add in a few GABP HRs if you want to know what 2007 is likely to look like for Stanton.

Relief performance from year to year is highly volatile for non bat-missing types. It also becomes even more volatile with age.

Kc61
02-26-2007, 03:47 PM
... and hoping you get anywhere near that kind of performance in 2007 from a 40 year old non bat missing reliever is a poor bet. I would say look at his Gnats numbers and add in a few GABP HRs if you want to know what 2007 is likely to look like for Stanton.

Relief performance from year to year is highly volatile for non bat-missing types. It also becomes even more volatile with age.

So what does that imply? That if you are (a) young and (b) have some velocity, you make the team because all relievers are equal? And if you are (a) older and (b) rely on experience and savvy more than stuff, you get cut? Regardless of how well you have pitched over the last few years?

As for volatility, there is nothing as volatile as an inexperienced pitcher.

You have to pick your spots with young pitchers. You just don't promote them because of their youth. Older pitchers will eventually fade or, worse, just break down. But again the issue is timing. Some teams wouldn't have tried Weathers in 2005, figuring he is through. The Reds took that risk and it paid off well.

All pitchers present risk in baseball today. The top guys present a financial risk -- they cost a lot. The older guys present the risk that their effectiveness will be gone, or their bodies will break down. But don't underestimate the risk of relying on minor league, inexperienced pitchers. That risk is worth taking sometimes, but in many cases it is not.

In the Reds' case, Salmon is the obvious guy knocking on the door. Coutlangus also is a prospect I like. But before we declare them to be better than the Reds' vets, let's see how their spring outings go.

Sea Ray
02-26-2007, 04:21 PM
With respect, if you would "take your chances with the likes of Shack, EZ and Belisle" I am glad the GM doesn't share your views.

Mike Stanton, with the Giants end of 2006, was basically lights out, was closing games with success. When have Shack, EZ and Belisle ever shown that kind of ability?

With all the talk that Cormier was lucky last year, his major league success rate is just miles ahead of the guys you suggest.

For me, the major leagues is not a tryout camp. You bring up guys if they are ready and have the ability to be good. You don't bring up guys just because they are young.

That said, it looks like Salmon is about ready to take the plunge. Let's see him have a good spring and then take a shot with him, particularly if there is an open spot (Majewski) due to injury.

Stanton is pushing 40 and like Cormier we're committed through next year. I think that's risky. It's a risk I wouldn't have taken. A one year deal, OK.

No question these guys have a better track record than the folks in their mid 20s. What a GM has to project is how they'll pitch in the future. I hope you and WK are right and I am wrong. I fear someone like EZ or Belisle will be released while we're trying to get our money out of Cormier and the released pitcher goes on to contribute to another club.

M2
02-26-2007, 04:36 PM
In the Reds' case, Salmon is the obvious guy knocking on the door. Coutlangus also is a prospect I like. But before we declare them to be better than the Reds' vets, let's see how their spring outings go.

I agree with that, but part of "let's see how their spring outings go" has to be a willingness to make changes if those outings go well.

The Reds have three older relievers and another guy (Majewski) who pitches like an old reliever. They don't miss bats often enough and, young or old, strikeout skill is what I most value in the bullpen. If Salmon, Coutlangus, Medlock or Guevara is ready to step up and deliver some of that, then I'm all for sweeping the current bullpen clean (because middle of the road is the best it will be).

TRF
02-26-2007, 04:39 PM

I'm sorry, but this is flat out misleading.

in 15 seasons, Cormier has had an ERA under 4.00 exactly 4 1/2 times. Mostly, he's been below average to awful. And his K/9 was in the toilet last year at age 39. He turns 40 3 weeks into this season. His track record isn't better than the guys mentioned, just longer.

I'll take the young guys with upside over the old guy that had 4 good seasons out of 15.

flyer85
02-26-2007, 04:42 PM
As for volatility, there is nothing as volatile as an inexperienced pitcher. ... that risk and it paid off well.
Reds should have spent 400K for the right to take on that risk rather than $3M. The only thing to like about Stanton's 2006 season was a miniscule HR rate. Betting on Rick White in 2006(miniscule HR rate in 2005, spike in 2006) was pretty much the same as betting on Stanton in 2007.

BRM
02-26-2007, 04:47 PM
Reds should have spent 400K for the right to take on that risk rather than $3M.

That's the other side of the debate. Gambling on a younger guy like Salmon, Coutlangus, etc. is a league minimum gamble. Gambling on an established vet like Stanton or Cormier costs you a few million.

bucksfan2
02-26-2007, 04:53 PM
Hindsight is always 20/20 but the reds were so desparate to fix their bullpen last year that they overpaid for 2 younger relievers and gave a bad extention to a reliever who is going to be 40 this year. They did about everything except to look within their organization to help out the bullpen. It would have been nice if they would have given a guy like Salmon a shot to see if he could pitch. If he could we wouldn't be stuck with Cormier this year. If he didn't pitch well the reds would have been able to send him back down to get better adapted to the bigs.

flyer85
02-26-2007, 04:57 PM
That's the other side of the debate. Gambling on a younger guy like Salmon, Coutlangus, etc. is a league minimum gamble. Gambling on an established vet like Stanton or Cormier costs you a few million.especially when the gamble is essentially the same

PECOTA weighted mean for 2007
Stanton - 5.11ERA 1.57WHIP
Cormier - 5.07ERA 1.55WHIP
Salmon - 5.04ERA 1.55WHIP
Coutlangus - 4.96ERA 1.63WHIP

should have spent a little more and rolled the dice with Pineiro 4.09ERA 1.37WHIP. Boston is paying him $4M in 2007

Danny Serafini
02-26-2007, 05:14 PM
in 15 seasons, Cormier has had an ERA under 4.00 exactly 4 1/2 times.

Just curious, how exactly do you have an ERA under 4.00 1/2 of a time?

TRF
02-26-2007, 05:18 PM
1/2 a season in Philadelphia. yeah, mebbe it isn't exact, but he's bee bad way more than he was good regardless of his role.

Ltlabner
02-26-2007, 05:52 PM
If Salmon, Coutlangus, Medlock or Guevara is ready to step up and deliver some of that, then I'm all for sweeping the current bullpen clean (because middle of the road is the best it will be).

Are there any numbers to suggest the odds of one of these guys jumping into the big leagues and actually providing middle of the road performance? You can look at their minor league numbers but sucess in Louisville doesn't always translate to success at GABP. Just ask Mike Burns.

So theroetically, the gamble is will a guy who's actually tasted sucess have a better chance of finding it (or some level of it) again? Or will a guy who's had zero success at the big league level jump right in and find it? I think there's something to be said for mixing some old "vet presence" with your youth. Having a bullpen that sucks and saves you money is of little sollace to me. But I do understand the chances of Stanton, Cromier and Weathers repeating their sucess goes down dramatically with each passing year.

And frankly, with as horrific as the bullpen was last year, if they managed to be truely "middle of the road" I'd be estatic.

M2
02-26-2007, 06:15 PM
Are there any numbers to suggest the odds of one of these guys jumping into the big leagues and actually providing middle of the road performance? You can look at their minor league numbers but sucess in Louisville doesn't always translate to success at GABP. Just ask Mike Burns.

So theroetically, the gamble is will a guy who's actually tasted sucess have a better chance of finding it (or some level of it) again? Or will a guy who's had zero success at the big league level jump right in and find it? I think there's something to be said for mixing some old "vet presence" with your youth. Having a bullpen that sucks and saves you money is of little sollace to me. But I do understand the chances of Stanton, Cromier and Weathers repeating their sucess goes down dramatically with each passing year.

And frankly, with as horrific as the bullpen was last year, if they managed to be truely "middle of the road" I'd be estatic.

Despite all the bluster, the Reds had a middle of the road bullpen last season. They ranked 10th in the NL with a 4.38 ERA.

I'm all for a mix of effective pitchers, young or old really doesn't do anything for me. Let's face it, strikeout pitchers tend to be better bets than pitch-to-contact relievers. As Reds fans we've seen it done right long enough to have learned that (and since DanO darkened the team's door we've also seen it done wrong).

The Twins have built a power bullpen in recent years, so hopefully Krivsky moves toward that model with the Reds.

As for whether the kids can do it, that's what ST is for. If in late March Brad Salmon or Jonathan Coutlangus are gassing hitters, then you might be onto something. I'm hardly a sucker for every hard thrower or stats phenom in the upper minors. I never had a good thing thing to say about Burns or Joe Valentine or Chris Booker or Luke Hudson. Salmon might not be any better. All I'm saying is the Reds need to prepared to act if he is. The premise is that the bullpen needs more shock and awe and I don't want to spend the season watching the franchise argue with the premise.

Ltlabner
02-26-2007, 06:20 PM
The premise is that the bullpen needs more shock and awe and I don't want to spend the season watching the franchise argue with the premise.

Oh, I totally agree. I guess I was missing your point earlier. I'd also like to see more hard throwers who miss bats in the pen to ballence out the softer tossing, non-bat missing/but experienced pitchers.

justincredible
02-26-2007, 06:50 PM
It was...the Salmon Mousse!
http://www.intriguing.com/mp/_pictures/life/vii-i-am.jpg

Kc61
02-26-2007, 07:06 PM
I'm sorry, but this is flat out misleading.

in 15 seasons, Cormier has had an ERA under 4.00 exactly 4 1/2 times. Mostly, he's been below average to awful. And his K/9 was in the toilet last year at age 39. He turns 40 3 weeks into this season. His track record isn't better than the guys mentioned, just longer.

I'll take the young guys with upside over the old guy that had 4 good seasons out of 15.

It's misleading to say that Cormier has had major league success?

Let's see. Lifetime, Cormier has a 4.02 ERA. His WHIP is 1.28. His K/W ratio is better than 2 to 1, 759/316.

These numbers are over 15 years, 1218 innings, 677 games.

"His track record isn't better than the guys mentioned, just longer?" Please. If you want to take a flyer on some minor league reliever, fine, but no need to demean somebody with a long and solid major league career.

jbran1114
02-26-2007, 07:27 PM
Narron wants a different look out of the pen. Doesn't Salmon provide that?
Certainly he has not done anything on the MLB level, but last years stats show he may be ready. I'm just afraid that they have made up their minds already and we'll have to wait for desperation to see if Salmon has got it.