PDA

View Full Version : Just found out tonight...

TeamSelig
02-26-2007, 01:27 AM
Going to be a daddy....

RBA
02-26-2007, 01:56 AM
Congrats!

TeamSelig
02-26-2007, 02:02 AM
Thanks, can't say that I'm very happy about it though.

19 now, soon to be 20. Not exactly "ready" for this

KronoRed
02-26-2007, 02:55 AM
Congrats and good luck ;)

mole44
02-26-2007, 03:16 AM
http://cgi.ebay.com/New-Cincinnati-Reds-Baby-Gift-Pack_W0QQitemZ300083462588QQihZ020QQcategoryZ1261Q QssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item3000 83462588
Good luck:thumbup:

Jpup
02-26-2007, 03:20 AM

when is someone ready? you'll be a great dad. hang in there, we are all pulling for you man. I'm almost 27 with no kids and I would love to have, at least, one right now. I'm getting married in a couple months and I hope to have the lady convinced by then, but I won't rush her.

Good luck and keep your head up. :clap:

GAC
02-26-2007, 07:58 AM
If you wait to have kids when you ready or more financially secure, then you'll never have them. Either that or you end up being too old to be having them in the first place. :D

minus5
02-26-2007, 08:25 AM
Either that or you end up being too old to be having them in the first place. :D

Yep, that's my case now! I'm 44 and am 3 weeks away or so of having another baby(Well, my wife willl be doing the "having" part;) ). Can you say "oops"? We're very excited though, it's just that we thought we were in a different "place" now. First few months I was mainly just stunned, now I'm pretty excited for him to get here. TeamSelig, you'll be fine....I'd have honestly rather done this at your age than mine!

RANDY IN INDY
02-26-2007, 08:26 AM
Congratulations!

Johnny Footstool
02-26-2007, 10:03 AM
Congratulations!

My son is almost 6 months old now, and it's quite a ride. There are sleepless nights and lots of worries, but those all melt away each time he smiles.

Redsland
02-26-2007, 10:08 AM
:party:

redsmetz
02-26-2007, 10:11 AM

Well you know what they say, "Ready or not, here I come" - Good luck. It's the greatest feeling in the world. My first is almost 24 and all of them are baseball fans.

Of course, Reds' management thanks you because they need to keep adding to the fan base!

Seriously, good luck.

Red Leader
02-26-2007, 10:12 AM

No one is ever "ready."

I wasn't as young as you are when I found out for the first time that I was going to be a Dad, and I wasn't ready then, either. It did change me though, and in a very good way. It made me grow up. For that, I will forever be thankful. Good luck to you. Hang in there. If you need anything, just ask. Many of us on this board have gone through what you're going to go through and would be glad to help in whatever way we can.

RedFanAlways1966
02-26-2007, 11:15 AM
Congratulations! Even if it is a girl, she must wear REDS uniforms (convince her Mommy to allow this)...

Roy Tucker
02-26-2007, 11:25 AM
No one is ever "ready."

I wasn't as young as you are when I found out for the first time that I was going to be a Dad, and I wasn't ready then, either. It did change me though, and in a very good way. It made me grow up. For that, I will forever be thankful. Good luck to you. Hang in there. If you need anything, just ask. Many of us on this board have gone through what you're going to go through and would be glad to help in whatever way we can.

:thumbup: Couldn't have said it better myself.

Ready Or Not
Jackson Browne

Someone's going to have to explain it to me
I'm not sure what it means
My baby's feeling funny in the morning
She's having trouble getting into her jeans
Her waist-line seems to be expanding
Although she never feels like eating a thing
I guess we'll reach some understanding
When we see what the future will bring

I met her in a crowded barroom
One of those typical Hollywood scenes
I was doing my very best Bogart
But I was having trouble getting into her jeans
I punched an unemployed actor
Defending her dignity
Well he stood up and knocked me through that barroom door
And that girl came home with me

Now baby's feeling funny in the morning
She says she's got a lot on her mind
Nature didn't give her any warning
Now she's going to have to leave her wild ways behind
She says she doesn't care if she never spends
Another night running loose on the town
She's gonna be a mother
Take a look in my eyes and tell me brother
If I look like I'm ready

I told her I had always lived alone
And I probably always would
And all I wanted was my freedom
And she told me that she understood
But I let her do some of my laundry
And she slipped a few meals in between
And the next thing I remember, she was all moved in
And I was buying her a washing machine

My baby's feeling funny in the morning
She says she's got a lot on her mind
Nature didn't give her any warning
But she's feeling better about it all the time
She says she's ready for some meaning
After all of her running around
Well bless my soul, she's got a rock-and-roll bandman
Thinking 'bout settling down

GIK
02-26-2007, 11:38 AM
Wow, that's wild. I remember what/who I was at 19/20 and even though no one says you're ever ready I can tell you I'm a lot more ready now than I was then. However, I'm sure I would have made the best of it and I'm sure you'll do the same. Congrats and good luck, TS.

TeamSelig
02-26-2007, 12:20 PM
Hey guys, thanks for all of the replies.

I guess on a positive side I'll only be 30 when he (yes, I said he, no girls allowed) is 10 and in little league and all that fun stuff... *sigh*

Red Leader
02-26-2007, 12:23 PM

I guess on a positive side I'll only be 30 when he (yes, I said he, no girls allowed) is 10 and in little league and all that fun stuff... *sigh*

That is actually pretty fun. My son plays football and baseball. In baseball it's fun to run around with him before games, hit grounders to him, and just generally act like a kid before the games. In football, I pound on him before games. Just to get him used to the contact. Not many of the "older" Dads do this kind of stuff. I guess they're afraid they'll bust their hip. :thumbup: :laugh: :evil:

Yachtzee
02-26-2007, 12:28 PM

That is definitely a positive. Even at 36, I feel like my body is starting to fall apart.

SunDeck
02-26-2007, 12:49 PM
Go Team!

Having kids is hard work, but it also allows the opportunity to aligns one's priorities in all the right ways.

Best of luck.

bucksfan
02-26-2007, 12:51 PM

Even if the baby is a girl, it will be a blast. A bunch of hard work and worries, to be sure, but as Johnny says all it takes is one look into those eyes.....
My "little girl" is now 5 and I have loved every minute of it. The other day she just cracked me up when she darted around the kitchen table quickly and cried out (in a very quick manner) "Teddy Ginnnnn!!!!!!". You'll do fine.

minus5
02-26-2007, 01:33 PM
Not many of the "older" Dads do this kind of stuff. I guess they're afraid they'll bust their hip. :thumbup: :laugh: :evil:

Hey now! :censored: My wife says there is nothing wrong with me probably needing a walker by the time my kids graduate high school.

15fan
02-26-2007, 01:39 PM
Congratulations.

The work and the rewards of parenting are greater than you could ever imagine.

Chip R
02-26-2007, 01:41 PM
Congratulations!

Team Clark
02-26-2007, 02:03 PM
Congratulations. Fatherhood far surpasses anything else I have ever accomplished in my life. I'm sure you'll feel the same way as soon as you see that wonderful baby spring to life.

TeamSelig
02-26-2007, 02:09 PM
ugh... what a rollercoaster....

I found out from a test by the mother (or not maybe?), a store bought test. So the following day (today) she went to planned parenthood and the test came up negative. She's going to get bloodwork done now at her moms work to see which one is right. Apparently her aunt had a kid once and planned parenthood gave her two negative tests, but I can't see how they could be that unreliable. I don't even know what to think anymore

Red Leader
02-26-2007, 02:30 PM
ugh... what a rollercoaster....

I found out from a test by the mother (or not maybe?), a store bought test. So the following day (today) she went to planned parenthood and the test came up negative. She's going to get bloodwork done now at her moms work to see which one is right. Apparently her aunt had a kid once and planned parenthood gave her two negative tests, but I can't see how they could be that unreliable. I don't even know what to think anymore

We had a similar case once.

Home test came up positive. Went to a doctor's office, test came out negative. We went to a wedding and got smashed. My wife took another home test 3-4 days later. Positive again. Went to doctor's office. Negative again. Finally, we had the blood drawn and it confirmed the positive tests. I know that rollercoaster. The history I've had with pregnancy tests is that the home tests are more reliable than tests given at doctor's offices (not sure if that's because the tests at doctor's offices sit there awhile and expire or what). Regardless, having blood drawn should put any questions to rest.

Good luck.

TeamSelig
02-26-2007, 02:38 PM
Just when I was thinking I was probably clear, you go and ruin it. ;) Just kidding, but it's starting to sound like a 'professional' test isn't worth much at all...

Red Leader
02-26-2007, 02:44 PM
Just when I was thinking I was probably clear, you go and ruin it. ;) Just kidding, but it's starting to sound like a 'professional' test isn't worth much at all...

Hey, it could go either way, the blood test will tell you for sure. I was just letting you know that based on my (small sample size) history with pregancy tests, the homes ones are usually more accurate. In my dealings with these things you always plan on the test being positive until you are 110% sure that it is not positive.

LoganBuck
02-26-2007, 03:13 PM
On my first son, my wife was late, and took a home test. Negative
Kept on being late, took another home test, Negative
Started feeling light headed and was still late, blood test at Doctor's Office, Pregnant.

Hang in there. Right now you should be as supportive of her as possible. You and her are going to be going through a wide range of emotions. Don't start running around and doing handstands either way until she knows for sure. My wife and I got pregnant about 6 weeks after we were married, and it was unexpected. Life has a way of "breaking" through. My reaction to the first two tests was relief, and then when she told me the results of the blood test. The first words out of my mouth were "crap". I regret those words every day. My sons are the best parts of my life.

redsfanfalcon
02-26-2007, 03:24 PM
My wife was only about a month along when we lost our baby about 5 years ago. We hadn't planned on having one...then when we did plan it, everything went smoothly, and now my son is 8 months old. It is very tiring, yet I wouldn't trade him for the world, or even a Reds World Series...

redsmetz
02-26-2007, 03:32 PM
Well, that age is helpful, but I'm 52 now and I was still playing softball until I was in my mid to late 40's and helped coach my son's team during some of those later years.

And I'll tell you, I've got two girls (my two older) and if you have a little girl, she'll wrap you around her little finger - and as my sister will tell you - she throws like her brother's taught her to and she was a heckuva ballplayer. My oldest went to her first ballgame at about six weeks, had a 45 minute rain delay in the ninth inning with the winning run on second. Fortunately my wife was nursing her so she went off during the rain delay, fed her and the batter returned to the plate and knocked the runner in - great first game, no?

hebroncougar
02-26-2007, 04:06 PM
Going to be a daddy....

Hey........congrats. My little girl is 10 months old now, it's the greatest feeling in the world.

TeamSelig
02-26-2007, 05:41 PM
Okay...

2 Home tests, one last night, one this morning - both positive
planned parenthood test today - negative
couple hours later at the Doctors office - positive

Blood work is pending... not sure how long that takes though

KronoRed
02-26-2007, 06:48 PM
I'm seeing a trend ;)

WMR
02-26-2007, 06:52 PM
I'm seeing a trend ;)

Haha!

WMR
02-26-2007, 06:52 PM
TS, if you're lucky, your little one (if there is in fact a little one on the way) might never have to suffer through a Tubby Smith bball season. ;)

WVRed
02-26-2007, 08:59 PM
On my first son, my wife was late, and took a home test. Negative
Kept on being late, took another home test, Negative
Started feeling light headed and was still late, blood test at Doctor's Office, Pregnant.

Hang in there. Right now you should be as supportive of her as possible. You and her are going to be going through a wide range of emotions. Don't start running around and doing handstands either way until she knows for sure. My wife and I got pregnant about 6 weeks after we were married, and it was unexpected. Life has a way of "breaking" through. My reaction to the first two tests was relief, and then when she told me the results of the blood test. The first words out of my mouth were "crap". I regret those words every day. My sons are the best parts of my life.

If that isn't a medical phenomena, I don't know what is.:)

I don't know that you can ever really be "ready" for kids. On the plus side, you will be young enough to keep up when your kids get older. If you are in good enough shape, you don't have to worry about them wanting to play catch but you are down in your back.;)

TeamSelig
02-26-2007, 10:31 PM
Due Nov. 6th

paintmered
02-26-2007, 10:57 PM
Due Nov. 6th

:beerme: :beerme:

Congrats and best of luck. :)

LoganBuck
02-26-2007, 11:35 PM
Hang in there.

RedFanAlways1966
02-27-2007, 07:45 AM
Due Nov. 6th

Amazing that a store-bought kit is more accurate than tests done by Planned Parenthood. I thought Planned Parenthood's job was about parents, kids, pregnancies, etc? Imagine a drug-user or even a cigarette smoker being told by "the experts" that she is not pregnant, so she goes home and lights/tokes/snorts up. I think Planned Parenthood needs to pull their heads out of their fallopian tube. Future parents and the newborns depend on them to do their job.

Good luck, TeamSelig. Be good to the expectant mommy and be there for her. And prepare to be the best Daddy you can be. I know you will.

kbrake
02-27-2007, 08:01 AM
Team Selig-
Dont worry about anything man, you will be fine. My best friend had his son when he was only 19. We are only 21 now so this was pretty recent. It will make you grow up quickly, but thats not a bad thing at all. You will do fine with this.

KittyDuran
02-27-2007, 08:21 AM
Amazing that a store-bought kit is more accurate than tests done by Planned Parenthood. I thought Planned Parenthood's job was about parents, kids, pregnancies, etc? Imagine a drug-user or even a cigarette smoker being told by "the experts" that she is not pregnant, so she goes home and lights/tokes/snorts up. I think Planned Parenthood needs to pull their heads out of their fallopian tube. Future parents and the newborns depend on them to do their job.

Good luck, TeamSelig. Be good to the expectant mommy and be there for her. And prepare to be the best Daddy you can be. I know you will.Based on other's responses on this thread... it would seem that you need multiple tests to get the right answer. Red Leader stated that the doctor's office came up with multiple negatives - so don't get all fired up about Planned Parenthood stating that they aren't doing their job!

Home test came up positive. Went to a doctor's office, test came out negative. We went to a wedding and got smashed. My wife took another home test 3-4 days later. Positive again. Went to doctor's office. Negative again. Finally, we had the blood drawn and it confirmed the positive tests. I know that rollercoaster. The history I've had with pregnancy tests is that the home tests are more reliable than tests given at doctor's offices (not sure if that's because the tests at doctor's offices sit there awhile and expire or what). Regardless, having blood drawn should put any questions to rest.

Red Leader
02-27-2007, 08:57 AM
Based on other's responses on this thread... it would seem that you need multiple tests to get the right answer. Red Leader stated that the doctor's office came up with multiple negatives - so don't get all fired up about Planned Parenthood stating that they aren't doing their job!

Good post, Kitty.

Planned Parenthood does many, many other things besides just distributing or administering pregnancy tests, and they do them well. It's simply unfair to say that Planned Parenthood isn't doing their jobs because their pregnancy tests aren't the most accurate tests in some cases.

Team Selig. Congratulations. The truth is now known and you can start mentally and emotionally preparing yourself for your life ahead. How's your relationship with the mother of this child? How's your relationship with her parents? You don't have to answer those questions on this thread but establishing a good, solid relationship with both of them is important and you should think about those two questions. They will be key to the upbringing of your child. Good luck to you, and like I said, if you need any help, advice, anything, don't hesitate to ask.

Team Clark
02-27-2007, 08:58 AM
Due Nov. 6th

Awesome. Congratulations on all the hard work. :beerme:

You should send planned parenthood a letter. How can they be that unreliable?

RedFanAlways1966
02-27-2007, 09:00 AM
When your job is the pregnancy thing and parenting, I'd hope you use accurate methods. It is not a perfect science (nothing is). But when something off the shelf at Kroger's is more accurate, then I am a bit put off. Perhaps PP should start buying the Kroger's product? I am sure their method is much more expensive... and perhaps not as accurate? I just hope the ones who do not want to be pregnant when they get inaccurately tested at PP don't go home and celebrate with a bunch of liquor and/or drugs b/c they think they are home-free. Kind of scary when you think of it in those terms. But I admit that it is not a perfect science.

KittyDuran
02-27-2007, 09:05 AM
Methinks this thread will be closed if I respond... (It'll turn political).

But back to TS - Congratulations!:thumbup:

TeamCasey
02-27-2007, 09:17 AM
People aren't computers. They're like human that way. ;)

False negative readings can occur when testing is done too early. Quantitative blood tests and the most sensitive urine tests usually detect hCG shortly after implantation, which can occur anywhere from 6 to 12 days after ovulation.[1] Beta hCG levels rise exponentially in the first two months or so of pregnancy so the earlier the test is performed, the higher the chance of a false negative result. Less sensitive urine tests and qualitative blood tests may not detect pregnancy until three or four days after implantation. Menstruation occurs on average 14 days after ovulation, so the likelihood of a false negative is low once a menstrual period is late.

False positive results can result from diseases like choriocarcinomas, IgA deficiencies, heterophile antibodies, enterocystoplasties, gestational trophoblastic diseases (GTD), gestational trophoblastic neoplasms (GTN), and testicular germ cell malignancies. Also, many home pregnancy tests show a positive or unclear result when read well after the suggested 3-5 minute window, independent of an actual pregnancy; this type of false positive is also known as an evaporation line. Additionally anyone who has been given an hCG injection would also give a false positive.

Some individuals react to some substrate in the test and thus will display a consistently low positive blood pregnancy test even though they are not pregnant. This phantom hCG may lead to serious misdiagnosis and intervention, but can be detected with serial dilutions. Patients with phantom hCG have a positive blood hCG but a negative urine hCG test.[citation needed]

Red Leader
02-27-2007, 09:34 AM
Let's try and keep this thread focused on Team Selig and not on Planned Parenthood. If you want to discuss Planned Parenthood, that should be taken over to the Peanut Gallery.

Heath
02-27-2007, 09:37 AM
People aren't computers. They're like human that way. ;)

False negative readings can occur when testing is done too early. Quantitative blood tests and the most sensitive urine tests usually detect hCG shortly after implantation, which can occur anywhere from 6 to 12 days after ovulation.[1] Beta hCG levels rise exponentially in the first two months or so of pregnancy so the earlier the test is performed, the higher the chance of a false negative result. Less sensitive urine tests and qualitative blood tests may not detect pregnancy until three or four days after implantation. Menstruation occurs on average 14 days after ovulation, so the likelihood of a false negative is low once a menstrual period is late.

False positive results can result from diseases like choriocarcinomas, IgA deficiencies, heterophile antibodies, enterocystoplasties, gestational trophoblastic diseases (GTD), gestational trophoblastic neoplasms (GTN), and testicular germ cell malignancies. Also, many home pregnancy tests show a positive or unclear result when read well after the suggested 3-5 minute window, independent of an actual pregnancy; this type of false positive is also known as an evaporation line. Additionally anyone who has been given an hCG injection would also give a false positive.

Some individuals react to some substrate in the test and thus will display a consistently low positive blood pregnancy test even though they are not pregnant. This phantom hCG may lead to serious misdiagnosis and intervention, but can be detected with serial dilutions. Patients with phantom hCG have a positive blood hCG but a negative urine hCG test.[citation needed]

That's something you'll never see on this guy's show..... :D

http://www.scottso.net/bnsg2.jpg

Interesting stuff nonetheless...

RedFanAlways1966
02-27-2007, 09:39 AM
Sorry... didn't mean to divert and definitely not being political and I am sorry that some still think that way when reading me. Just worried me that erroroneous tests are happening, but I appreciate TC's explanation. Nothing is perfect (except Don Larsen in 1956). Back to TS and his wonderful news! :)

Roy Tucker
02-27-2007, 09:40 AM
All right, let me tell you how it will be.

Fatherhood is an awesome responsibility. And I don't mean "like totally awesome dude". I mean it is a fundamental and life-altering event. Once it happens, your life is and will never be the same. A different course is set. Almost every decision you make has many more variables. You can't just think about yourself. That way of thinking was hard for me to adjust to.

I remember when my son (our first) was born. My wife's labor was long so I was up for 36 hrs. Baby was finally born, parents all visited, all the hoopla of a birth went on, and it was finally time for me to go home. I stopped by the nursery (this was at Christ Hospital) and looked in through the plate glass window at all the babies and at my son. It then hit me like a ton of bricks. I'm a dad. Oh my God, I'm a father and I've got responsibilities. I can't be the way I've been before. I've got to grow up. I've got to be a man and do the right things. I can't be irresponsible, whiny, and weak. I've got to stand up, be counted, and be the rock for all of those who depend on me. Time to grow from a boy to a man. And that starts *now*.

The nurse in charge came out to talk to me. She said she's seen "The Look" before on dad's faces. She patted me on the back and said don't worry, it will all be OK. Go home and get a good night's sleep. It will look better in the morning.

I did and it did. We've had 2 more kids. My life has forever changed. I don't stay out till 3 in the AM any more. We don't go out to dinner as much. I don't buy a shiny new zoom-zoom car on a whim. I've got a mortgage, car payments, bills, clothes and shoes to buy, children to raise, and a spousal unit that to try and stay at least civil with (and hopefully in love). Life certainly isn't boring.

But I wouldn't trade it for anything in the world. Children are the most wonderful and fundamentally satisfying thing you will ever experience. I would willingly and in a second give up my own life for them. My kids are the coolest people in the world and I love spending time with them.

If I had it all to do over again, I'd do it in a second. My only regret is that I didn't start earlier. My first was born when I was 32. When my last graduate from college (God willing and the creek don't rise), I'll be 61. Age brings wisdom but it also brings creaky joints and an increase in naps.

So you're good. Hang in there. It will all turn out.

TeamSelig
02-27-2007, 11:04 AM
I agree Planned Parenthood should do a better job at giving the tests. Maybe they should offer blood work instead of urine analysis? I understand the circumstances and possibilities of a wrong reading that TC talked about, but IMO it is someones life and should be 110% every time.

RL,

Relationship w/ the mother is great. We were planning on getting married, and are actually doing it this Friday. This was decided pre-baby, in order to get some financial aid help for college next year. (FASFA deadline March 10th) We've only been together for a little under a year, but known each other and been friends for probably 4-5 years. Relationship with her parents is pretty good, our families have alot of history (good) and everyone seems to like me. Not sure how they will feel after all of this though.

Anyways, thanks again for all of the replies.

Red Leader
02-27-2007, 11:13 AM
I agree Planned Parenthood should do a better job at giving the tests. Maybe they should offer blood work instead of urine analysis? I understand the circumstances and possibilities of a wrong reading that TC talked about, but IMO it is someones life and should be 110% every time.

RL,

Relationship w/ the mother is great. We were planning on getting married, and are actually doing it this Friday. This was decided pre-baby, in order to get some financial aid help for college next year. (FASFA deadline March 10th) We've only been together for a little under a year, but known each other and been friends for probably 4-5 years. Relationship with her parents is pretty good, our families have alot of history (good) and everyone seems to like me. Not sure how they will feel after all of this though.

Anyways, thanks again for all of the replies.

One of my buddies in high school was in a situation like you are in. Probably a little worse though because we were a year or so away from graduation and her parents knew nothing until she told them. They didn't even know she was "active." Anyway, it was complicated. The Dad immediately freaked out and made a bad situation worse. My friend drove over to this girl's house one night and talked with her parents in front of her. Told them he had still planned on going to college but would go part time and work full time if that's what it took. He told them that he didn't want to drop out of college, though, as he didn't think that would be beneficial long-term to anyone. He also asked her Dad for his permission to marry his daughter. He left her house that night and her parents respected him for his decisions, maturity, and respect towards them.

They now have 5 kids and the girls Dad and my friend are really good friends. They share a season ticket package to Dragon's games.

I guess what I'm saying is, if there is any strain in that relationship with her parents at all, sit down with them and talk to them. Make them understand that you're going to do everything in your power to be a good person, a good husband, and a good father. You don't want to start things off by having a bad relationship with her parents. That makes things wayyyyy difficult on your future wife. Her life is going to be complicated enough and stressful enough in the coming months. You don't need to do anything to add to it.

Just some advice.

M2
02-27-2007, 11:40 AM
I'm under the impression Planned Parenthood uses a dated urine test because it costs less. The better over-the-counter tests are money makers and PP probably wouldn't have the money to keep the lights on if it gave one to everyone who walked through the door. Though more accurate testing methods should probably be a priority for reasons RFA1966 mentioned.

TeamSelig, my parents were 19 and 18 when I popped out. They managed to stay together and do quite well for themselves. I've got two of my own (born when I was in my early 30s) and I don't know how my parents did it.

One suggestion on raising a kid on a tight budget or in limited space: make sure everything you get for the baby does more than one thing.

TeamSelig
02-27-2007, 11:40 AM
Is it me or does it seem like guys take alot of the heat from families?
Ex. how could you have impregnated our precious little girl/grand daughter/etc.

Outside the family blames the girl though I'd say. Kinda weird how that works.

Thanks for all of the advice, i'm starting to feel a little better about the situation. I know its all going to work out, its just a big shock to me, and it still hasn't fully kicked in yet. It's so strange... I'm going to have a kid, but I still feel like one at the same time.

I really feel for those that have kids at a very young age... 13-14. Even 16-18. At least I'm out of high school. Couldn't imagine dealing with that.

15fan
02-27-2007, 12:05 PM
It's so strange... I'm going to have a kid, but I still feel like one at the same time.

As long as there's always a piece of you that feels like a kid, you'll be ok.

What I mean is that as others have mentioned, parenting is a huge responsibility with plenty of challenges. There's no denying that. What is going to get you through those challenges is your ability to remember how to play like a kid with your kid. I've found that the more time I spend playing blocks / puzzles / legos / tea party / trucks / reading books with my kid, the better things are.

If we were in a math class, I'd say that happiness is directly proportional to the amount of time you spend on the floor.

redsmetz
02-27-2007, 12:08 PM
One suggestion on raising a kid on a tight budget or in limited space: make sure everything you get for the baby does more than one thing.

Well, except for disposable diapers - those can be one use!

redsmetz
02-27-2007, 12:15 PM
As many have said, it does change you, and it blows your mind sometimes to think someone depends on me as their parent. But even after 24 years of parenting, it still awes me that I've raised three kids.

My oldest is now in the work world, out of college and that amazes me. My younger daughter is studying in Mexico for the semester and I'm blown away by that. My youngest is making college plans and my wife and I are realizing we're going to be empty nesters this year and that blows my mind too.

And yet, I find myself aching these days for little kids (no, I'm not rushing my kids into providing grandkids!). I see little ones and they're so darned sweet (well, for the most part). Fortunately my youngest brother is about 14 years younger than me and he has a 4 year old and an 14 month old, so I get my baby fixes with them (I'm about due - guess I'll have to volunteer to babysit them again).

Remember, it all goes so fast. You'll blink and they're grown up - I swear it feels like that. Day in, day out and pretty soon, it's 20 years later.

I'd agree wholeheartedly with the amount of time on the floor - I miss that wrestling or playing games with the little ones. And on and on.

TeamSelig
02-27-2007, 12:53 PM
Great stuff guys, thanks.

KronoRed
02-27-2007, 01:24 PM
Let's try and keep this thread focused on Team Selig and not on Planned Parenthood. If you want to discuss Planned Parenthood, that should be taken over to the Peanut Gallery.

Mod boy :p:

Heath
02-27-2007, 01:41 PM
Mod boy :p:

Give the boy some power and he acts like he's the big bad school marm.

:mooner:

Red Leader
02-27-2007, 01:43 PM
Chip, Zombie, paint, Reds2Life, ochre, macro, or Joseph - can you delete the previous two posts for me. :p:

Yachtzee
02-27-2007, 01:44 PM
Thanks for all of the advice, i'm starting to feel a little better about the situation. I know its all going to work out, its just a big shock to me, and it still hasn't fully kicked in yet. It's so strange... I'm going to have a kid, but I still feel like one at the same time.

Just think of all the cool toys you're going to get to play with! Oh and the kid too. ;)

TeamSelig
02-28-2007, 01:08 AM
Has anyone else had any problems or know anyone who has with orthotricylenlo?

When the doctor was informed that she was on birth control, she asked what kind. Apparently it's really common for her to see pregnancy's with women that use this type of pill.

Kinda makes me mad if they gave her a pill that isn't very effective, or less than 99% effective like advertised.

GIK
02-28-2007, 08:36 AM
You've got to double up. Protection for both her and you. That's the way I roll. I figure if she still gets pregnant after that, it's meant to be. :)

creek14
02-28-2007, 08:45 AM
TS, I was 40 when I had my son, and even at that age, I thought I was too young. Really.

I don't know if anyone ever feels ready.

But the first time you hold that baby you'll realize you never really knew what unconditional love was until that moment.

You'll be fine.

TeamSelig
03-14-2007, 02:12 PM
Update: should get to hear the baby's heart beat on April 6th

I've made a complete turn around, and I'm very excited. I want that little thing to come out now :)

So far we have choose names

Boy: Carson Andrew... naming it after me (middle name = my first name)
Girl: Addison Bailey

lol believe it or not, its not after Palmer, or Homer but it's really cool that it turned out that way

what do you guys think?

SunDeck
03-14-2007, 02:19 PM

I've made a complete turn around, and I'm very excited. I want that little thing to come out now :)

lol believe it or not, its not after Palmer, or Homer but it's really cool that it turned out that way

what do you guys think?

I think you should not use phrases like "I want that little thing to come out now" around the mom. :D

Red Leader
03-14-2007, 02:29 PM

what do you guys think?

You'll never hear me comment on a name someone picks out. Whoever the parent of that child is should have the right to name them whatever they want and I have absolutely no authority to question them on it.

Hearing the heartbeat is an amazing thing. The first time I went through that was the first time it really hit home that I was going to be a Dad, the responsibilities I was going to have, etc. It also made me realize how much more I should appreciate my wife for doing what she was doing. I realized that having a baby develop inside you isn't an easy thing. Hearing the heartbeat is an amazing time in your life, though. You'll never forget it. We get to find out what sex our new arrival (our 3rd) is on March 30th. That's cool, too.

TeamSelig
03-14-2007, 02:38 PM
how many months does that take (determining the sex)? I can't wait... also, is it normal to be terrified of a miscarriage? Every time the wife gets any cramps or anything I freak out, even though I know its normal. I think I will settle down after the 3 month time period (usually after that miscarriages don't happen as much from what I read anyway)

Red Leader
03-14-2007, 02:44 PM
how many months does that take (determining the sex)? I can't wait... also, is it normal to be terrified of a miscarriage? Every time the wife gets any cramps or anything I freak out, even though I know its normal. I think I will settle down after the 3 month time period (usually after that miscarriages don't happen as much from what I read anyway)

First question: They have you wait until week 16 (4 months) to do the ultrasound to determine the baby's sex.

Second: I think so. Well, I don't know for sure. I wasn't that worried about a miscarriage the first time through. After our first was born my wife had two miscarriages before our second was born, so I was concerned during that pregnancy obviously, and was just as concerned for this one. It is true that once you hit the 3 month mark the chances of a miscarriage goes way down. We recently celebrated making it past the 3 month mark. You really shouldn't "panic" or overly stress about a miscarriage, though. You need to remain calm so the Mom stays calm. It's in God's hands for the first three months.

TeamSelig
03-14-2007, 02:46 PM
week 16 huh? seems forever away... we are on week 6 right now

Roy Tucker
03-14-2007, 02:50 PM

IIRC, it's around 18-20 weeks when ultrasounds can determine the sex of a baby. Tests can show it earlier, but they are for specific conditions and not normally done.

I'm not sure terrified is the word I'd use, but high-level worry about a miscarriage is pretty routine. Babies don't come with any guarantees. Do everything you can that is under your control. Make sure mom follows all the doctors advice, eats a good diet, stays away from harmful things (smoking, alcohol, etc.), etc etc. Just take good care of her.

And for what it's worth, my wife and I specifically didn't want to know the sex of any of our 3 kids. There are few true surprises in the world and not knowing certainly did add to the drama of the moment of birth. But we were in the minority. Most couples want to know and that is fine.

Roy Tucker
03-14-2007, 02:53 PM
week 16 huh? seems forever away... we are on week 6 right now

My son is 19 now. It seems like just yesterday we were down at Christ Hospital.

Tempus sure does fugit. Cherish every moment, it goes fast.

Red Leader
03-14-2007, 02:56 PM
Yeah, it's hard to believe that we first went through that almost 9 years ago now. Geeez. That's just crazy.

WMR
03-14-2007, 03:19 PM
TS, did "Tubby" get ruled out early on? ;)

gonelong
03-14-2007, 03:29 PM
And for what it's worth, my wife and I specifically didn't want to know the sex of any of our 3 kids. There are few true surprises in the world and not knowing certainly did add to the drama of the moment of birth. But we were in the minority. Most couples want to know and that is fine.

Thanks for that. I never quite understood why someone wouldn't want to know the sex of the child beforehand, but that would be a good enough explanation for me.

GL

TeamSelig
03-14-2007, 03:31 PM
haha yes but I almost settled on Rick Pitino Hartley for its full name ;)

I don't think I could go the whole time without knowing if its a boy or girl... also, I'd like to buy stuff ahead of time so I won't have to buy it all at once

Red Leader
03-14-2007, 03:34 PM
also, I'd like to buy stuff ahead of time so I won't have to buy it all at once

That's kind of where we were at as well. I couldn't afford to buy a bunch of stuff at once. Sure, I could have bought unisex stuff each month, but how fun is that? I had a ball picking out boys baby clothes, onesies, etc after we found out.

Also I made sure the nursery was totally finished 1 month before my wife's due date. That seemed to settle her in the last couple weeks. If that room hadn't been completely done before she left for the hospital, I'm not sure we'd even still be married. :laugh:

MrsHammer
03-14-2007, 04:13 PM
Has anyone else had any problems or know anyone who has with orthotricylenlo?

When the doctor was informed that she was on birth control, she asked what kind. Apparently it's really common for her to see pregnancy's with women that use this type of pill.

Kinda makes me mad if they gave her a pill that isn't very effective, or less than 99% effective like advertised.

I use that same pill. That particular pill is a low hormone pill that is very popular, and presribed very often. Low hormone pills tend to have fewer side effects and less long term risks (such as strokes, heart issues, etc) and have proven to be as effective as the older higher dose pills. However, no birth control pill is 100% effective. It is very important that the patient take it every day at roughly the same time of the day. I'm not trying to imply that your girlfriend did not use it correctly....just stating that the effectiveness goes way down if it is not taken every single day and at a consistent time frame. Also, certain other drugs may make birth control pills less effective (some antibiotics for instance). A doctor will usually recommend a back-up method for the month following antibiotic use. Plus, sometimes, things just happen for no explainable reason. I gave birth to a beautiful little girl 9 months ago and I know that you will love your baby with all your heart. Believe me, you'll be desperately in love with him/her before you even realize it. Good luck!

M2
03-14-2007, 04:46 PM

We didn't want to know either for exactly the same reasons.

SunDeck
03-14-2007, 05:08 PM
also, is it normal to be terrified of a miscarriage?
Having a kid makes you terrified a lot of the time, but you'll mellow out eventually.

gonelong
03-14-2007, 11:35 PM
Having a kid makes you terrified a lot of the time, but you'll mellow out eventually.

Ain't that the truth. When the door slams the first day back from the hospital ... whooo boy.

Johnny Footstool
03-15-2007, 10:26 AM

Yes, it's normal to worry about everything. I wasn't really prepared for this when we had our son.

It's an emotional roller coaster. One minute, you're thrilled. The next minute, a nurse tells you your baby is losing weight, or has a heart murmur, or is coughing excessively, and suddenly is seems like your world is crashing down.

The other tip I can give you is that the birth process doesn't end when the baby is born. After the kid comes out, you've got at least 4-6 more hours of activity, and that can be fairly stressful when all you want to do is relax and hold the baby.

gonelong
03-15-2007, 10:41 AM
I'd recommend taking some sort of birthing class if for no other reason it gives you some idea of what to expect. Normally I'd poo-poo those types of things but the wife insisted we go (don't argue with a pregnant lady). I am glad we went because I wouldn't have been prepared to deal with the whole sha-bang.

GL

SunDeck
03-15-2007, 11:40 AM
poo-poo

GL

And that's reason enough to learn a little bit about the birthing process. Cause it might just happen....

Yachtzee
03-15-2007, 01:55 PM
And that's reason enough to learn a little bit about the birthing process. Cause it might just happen....

They didn't tell me that in the birthing class. I had to find out for myself. Not the best surprise. :scared:

I think the birthing class is a necessity. My sister and her husband decided to skip it. Then, when she went to the hospital to have her first, she and her husband were clueless and kept freaking out about everything. Finally my wife showed up and was able to step in as "birth coach" and calm them down.

sonny
03-16-2007, 04:23 AM
My wife totally freaked out when we got home because our house "wasn't as clean as the hospital."

I cooked for the first couple weeks, so the food was on par.

Johnny Footstool
03-16-2007, 10:07 AM
My wife totally freaked out when we got home because our house "wasn't as clean as the hospital."

I cooked for the first couple weeks, so the food was on par.

My in-laws freaked because we had a midwife deliver our child, the nurses weren't wearing gowns and masks, and the hospital room wasn't all white with bright lights. They kept calling my cell phone every half-hour while we were in the delivery room.

SunDeck
03-16-2007, 11:25 AM
My in-laws freaked because we had a midwife deliver our child, the nurses weren't wearing gowns and masks, and the hospital room wasn't all white with bright lights. They kept calling my cell phone every half-hour while we were in the delivery room.

Yeah, we had some of the same reaction from relatives. It was like we invited a witch doctor to deliver the kid.

Roy Tucker
03-16-2007, 11:30 AM
Nothing prepares you for the gooshiness of birthing.

My wife has long said if you have any sense of shyness, it is forever wiped away by giving birth. There you are in all your glory and it's like Grand Central Station with all the people coming and going.

Her biggest tip is wear socks.

zombielady
03-16-2007, 12:23 PM
Is it me or does it seem like guys take alot of the heat from families?
Ex. how could you have impregnated our precious little girl/grand daughter/etc.

Outside the family blames the girl though I'd say. Kinda weird how that works.

I really feel for those that have kids at a very young age... 13-14. Even 16-18. At least I'm out of high school. Couldn't imagine dealing with that.

You'll understand if yours is a girl! (btw, the boy's parents blame the girl)

It's okay... better to have em young! you'll be 38 when the kid is 18. My kids wont be out of the house til I am in my 50's.:beerme:

TeamSelig
04-10-2007, 03:27 PM
She had a miscarriage last night.

This sucks so bad.... we were so excited, I can't believe this happened to us.

She is taking is really hard... I don't know how to make it better.

Razor Shines
04-10-2007, 03:30 PM

That's terrible, really sorry to hear about that.

Chip R
04-10-2007, 03:30 PM
Sorry to hear that. :( Not that it should make you two feel better but miscarriages are not uncommon the first time a woman is pregnant. Both my sisters had them the first time around and my younger sister has had 2 kids and my older sister one.

Red Leader
04-10-2007, 03:32 PM

I am so sorry to hear that, TS. I've been there before, several times in fact, and it's never easy. There's nothing you can do to make it better. All you can do is try to keep her positive, comfort her, and try to get her through this rough, rough time. My prayers are with you and her. Again, I'm so sorry to hear that. Try to give her some space to think things out, but be there for her if she needs anything.

Roy Tucker
04-10-2007, 03:34 PM

I am very sorry to hear this.

You can't make it better. The only thing you can do for her is be there for her.

Redsland
04-10-2007, 03:40 PM
OMG, I'm so sorry to hear that. :(

Puffy
04-10-2007, 03:45 PM
Dude - so sorry to hear this.

dabvu2498
04-10-2007, 03:47 PM
Sorry to hear this, TS.

MrsHammer
04-10-2007, 03:52 PM
Oh, I am so sorry TeamSelig. The others are correct...there really is nothing you can do to make it better. It is something that each parent has to deal with in their own way. Just be there to support her in what ever way she indicates that she needs you. And, don't neglect your own feelings either. Just because it's not happening to your body, doesn't lessen your own grief. I had a miscarriage in 2005 early into my first pregnancy as well. Most women will blame themselves thinking that they did something to cause it, which is very rarely the case. A miscarriage is nature's way of saying that something was just not right and was not meant to be. An early miscarriage does not mean that the woman will have future problems with conception or pregnancy. After my miscarriage, the doctor advised waiting a couple of months before trying again. We did, and then we got pregnant the first month we tried again. We now have a beautiful 10 month old daughter.

Heath
04-10-2007, 03:55 PM
I've been in your shoes before TS.

Hang with 'em.

Johnny Footstool
04-10-2007, 04:05 PM
You guys have my sympathies, TeamSelig.

As many others have said, just be there for her. Try not to dwell on what happened; it's a pretty common occurrence. Just be supportive of each other and move ahead one day at a time.

KronoRed
04-10-2007, 05:42 PM
Sympathies and prayers TS, really sorry to hear this.

creek14
04-10-2007, 05:42 PM
TS, I had a miscarriage. It was terrible. Just terrible. Mine was 12 years ago and to this day, not a day goes by that I don't think of that child and wonder what might have been.

It's like any other death. You don't really get over it, you just move on. Eventually.

I am so, so sorry for your loss.

bucksfan
04-10-2007, 09:40 PM
Incredibly sorry to hear this as well, TeamSelig. You both are in my prayers. You'll get through it though - you both will together.

SunDeck
04-10-2007, 09:46 PM
TS-
So very sorry.

MrsK
04-12-2007, 02:11 AM
TS - i want to tell you how sorry i am for your loss.

my sister-in-law had a miscarriage between her first and second child - she has three children now - they are all very smart, very beautiful children and very healthy.

i cannot imagine the pain you're going through - but i hope it helps to know that others have been through it.

my thoughts are with you and your family.

take care.

sonny
04-12-2007, 03:16 AM
My wife and I went through this too. There is nothing you can do to make it better, but you can celebrate the tiny life that was inside her. My wife and I planted a tree in our backyard and hung a little medallion on it that said her name: "Grace". As the tree grows, every year, we remember her and know that we will see her again.

RedFanAlways1966
04-12-2007, 08:09 AM
Sorry to hear this. Stay strong.

hebroncougar
04-12-2007, 10:34 AM
Thoughts and prayers man. Stick together, and just spend time with each other.

LoganBuck
04-12-2007, 01:39 PM
Sorry for you loss TS.

My thoughts and prayers are with you.

WebScorpion
04-14-2007, 12:57 AM
Our thoughts and prayers are with you. Most of the advice I can give has already been given by all our wise friends here at the 'Zone.
Hugs

TeamSelig
04-15-2007, 06:18 PM
Thanks...

What is the typical time for trying again? I've heard so many different opinions on this its pretty crazy. She had a D&C done, and you're supposed to wait 2 weeks before you know what again. I've heard you should wait until after the next period to try to have another baby, but I've also heard as much as 3-6 months. We want to try to have another one in hopes to heal the pain from this loss. We got ourselves so excited that we can't help but want to keep trying. I saw baby Reds outfits at Wal-Mart the other night and almost bought them lol...

Ltlabner
04-15-2007, 08:18 PM
Thanks...

What is the typical time for trying again? I've heard so many different opinions on this its pretty crazy. She had a D&C done, and you're supposed to wait 2 weeks before you know what again. I've heard you should wait until after the next period to try to have another baby, but I've also heard as much as 3-6 months. We want to try to have another one in hopes to heal the pain from this loss. We got ourselves so excited that we can't help but want to keep trying. I saw baby Reds outfits at Wal-Mart the other night and almost bought them lol...

I think when ever you and Mrs TeamSelig feal like it's the right time is the best time to start trying again. I know that seems like a cop out but everybody grieves at different rates and in different ways.

Having a baby to hold will certinally make life happier, but the grief and loss of this baby woln't go away. The emotional pain will decrease over time but you will likely never forget this baby.

Just have a lot of honest talks with Mrs Team Selig and you will know when the time is right.

15fan
04-15-2007, 08:41 PM
Everything happens for a reason. I'm 100% convinced of that.

If my mother hadn't had a miscarriage, I wouldn't be here.

sonny
04-16-2007, 07:43 AM
Thanks...

You should talk to her doctor. Sometimes there can be scarring, in which if a new baby is conceived, will have trouble maturing and having the same result. We were told about 6 months to allow for physical AND emotional healing. Thanks for your sharing though in this matter, There's a lot of people praying for you guys.

04-16-2007, 07:55 AM
This is the first time I read through this thread for quite a while. I am so sorry about this.

redsfan30
04-16-2007, 09:47 AM
So sorry to hear this, TS. Stay strong.

Red Leader
04-16-2007, 10:03 AM
I think when ever you and Mrs TeamSelig feal like it's the right time is the best time to start trying again. I know that seems like a cop out but everybody grieves at different rates and in different ways.

Having a baby to hold will certinally make life happier, but the grief and loss of this baby woln't go away. The emotional pain will decrease over time but you will likely never forget this baby.

Just have a lot of honest talks with Mrs Team Selig and you will know when the time is right.

Like Sonny said, consult your doctor. We waited one month one time, six months another time. Both ended in miscarriages. We waited a whole year after the last miscarriage and finally had a successful pregnancy, and our second child. Consult your doctor. I know you desperately want the Mrs to be pregnant again to try and forget about what happened, but it doesn't work that way. If you try too soon (before you are emotionally ready) and it happens again, it will be even more difficult. You can't ignore the cons and just focus on the pros. Life, no matter what you do, doesn't work like that. Unfortunately. :) Best of luck to you.

TeamSelig
11-06-2007, 02:11 PM
Today is the would-have-been expected date of birth.

Can't help think how differently my life would be right now if things happened differently. That beer helmet would be the last thing on my mind lol

Ltlabner
11-06-2007, 02:20 PM
Today is the would-have-been expected date of birth.

Can't help think how differently my life would be right now if things happened differently. That beer helmet would be the last thing on my mind lol

Aniverseries like that are very difficult. I wish I had some sort of brilliant wisdom to share, but unfortunatley there really isn't any. Take the time to greive with Mrs. TeamSelig. Be honest about your fealings. Honor the passing of your child.

It's not much, but there's lots of people who can at least empathize with you.

TeamSelig
12-29-2007, 03:27 PM
Here we go again. Round 2. Mrs TS is very, very happy.

GoReds33
12-29-2007, 04:06 PM
Here we go again. Round 2. Mrs TS is very, very happy.Glad to hear it.:)

Matt700wlw
12-29-2007, 04:09 PM

:(

I'm so sorry to hear this.

Dom Heffner
12-29-2007, 04:20 PM
I think the sad news is from April, Matt, and the good news is from today. :)

Congrats!!!!

Matt700wlw
12-29-2007, 04:27 PM
Well....then I'm glad to hear good news :)

Healthy and happy is good!!

RANDY IN INDY
12-29-2007, 04:29 PM
Good for you guys, TeamSelig!

HeatherC1212
12-29-2007, 08:48 PM
Congratulations!! :)

jmcclain19
12-29-2007, 09:44 PM
TS congrats my friend.

My wife gave birth to our first child three weeks ago.

Being a father is a feeling I can't put words too - but I'll have the moment when I heard my son cry for the first time and first laid my eyes on him in my memory banks for the rest of my life.

Easily the coolest thing I've done in my life.

We'll keep our fingers crossed for the two of you and that everything works out in the end. I'm sure it will.

jmcclain19
12-29-2007, 09:46 PM
Oh yeah - one more thing.

In a few months - you guys should start buying diapers. That was one of the smarter suggestions someone else gave to me.

Picking up a back of newborn or size 1 diapers every time you go to the store for your normal food shopping for months in advance takes away some of the bite in the pocket book that will otherwise come later. Babies treat diapers like Kleenex. You're going to need tons of them.

TeamSelig
12-29-2007, 10:11 PM
Yep, good idea. I had thought of doing something similar to that.

My best friend had his baby a few weeks ago. It is one cool little baby. Hopefully it all goes well this time around. I've been trying to help Mrs TS deal with stress and keep her thinking positive.

Still hoping for a boy.

LoganBuck
12-29-2007, 10:17 PM
Oh yeah - one more thing.

In a few months - you guys should start buying diapers. That was one of the smarter suggestions someone else gave to me.

Picking up a back of newborn or size 1 diapers every time you go to the store for your normal food shopping for months in advance takes away some of the bite in the pocket book that will otherwise come later. Babies treat diapers like Kleenex. You're going to need tons of them.

Congrats TS!

Just watch out that you don't have the next Adam Dunn on your hands. My kids skipped newborn and were only in size one diapers for a month.

Caseyfan21
12-30-2007, 01:40 AM
Still hoping for a boy.

If it's a boy, just remember to go buy some rope so you can tie his right hand behind his back and start developing your left handed starter. :devil:

Congrats TS!

Roy Tucker
12-30-2007, 12:27 PM
Babies treat diapers like Kleenex. You're going to need tons of them.

Congrats to you and Mrs. TS. Take good care of that woman.

I remember when our last came out of diapers. It seemed like we had been buying them forever. I think it was 8-9 years straight that every time we went to the grocery store, diapers were in the cart. I should have bought P&G stock.

When we started to not take a diaper bag with us, I kept feeling like we forgot something.

It's funny, a couple years ago, my youngest was baby-sitting an infant and she called Dad (the haz-mat squad) because the baby had poopy diapers. I went over and showed her how its done. She looked at me in amazement and said "how did you know how to do that?". I just laughed. Just like riding a bicycle, you never forget.

redsmetz
12-30-2007, 12:31 PM
Congrats to you and Mrs. TS. Take good care of that woman.

I remember when our last came out of diapers. It seemed like we had been buying them forever. I think it was 8-9 years straight that every time we went to the grocery store, diapers were in the cart. I should have bought P&G stock.

When we started to not take a diaper bag with us, I kept feeling like we forgot something.

It's funny, a couple years ago, my youngest was baby-sitting an infant and she called Dad (the haz-mat squad) because the baby had poopy diapers. I went over and showed her how its done. She looked at me in amazement and said "how did you know how to do that?". I just laughed. Just like riding a bicycle, you never forget.

Oh yeah, when you're out of that stage, you feel like you've grown an extra arm.

I also always remind parents who are expecting their third child that they'll now be outnumbered!

TeamSelig
12-30-2007, 12:31 PM
Hmm... well I am left handed and used to pitch a little (my mom is left handed also) so maybe if I train him as a new born and on up that he will be a better pitcher than I was lol

BoydsOfSummer
12-30-2007, 05:28 PM
Congrats and good luck.

The child is already a better pitcher than I was.:rolleyes:

TeamSelig
02-01-2008, 10:06 AM
We went to the doctor yesterday and today - heard the heartbeat yesterday (170)... a little high, but in the normal range.

Today we saw the ultrasound and all I can say is... WOW... What a dose of reality. It really seems like it is going to happen this time. She is ten weeks, so it's too early to confirm it being a boy ;) It was flipping around, doing jumping jacks, push ups, summersaults, and it looks like its getting ready for spring training in there lol... great stuff, very cool feeling

SunDeck
02-01-2008, 10:22 AM
I remember our first ultrasound. My wife seemed to be able to be able to distinguish the features, but for all I could tell, she might as well have swallowed a circus peanut whole. Of course, I pretended I understood what we were looking at,passing my first test in fatherhood with flying colors.

TeamSelig
02-01-2008, 10:23 AM
haha... I completely understand that. It took me a minute to make it all out. The still pictures are horrible too, can't distinguish mcuh at all.

MrsHammer
02-01-2008, 11:04 AM
Glad for your happy update! I must admit my heart dropped a bit when I saw this thread had been updated today....I was afraid you were telling us bad news. I remember my ultrasounds with my daughter those first few months. I was so anxious every time to make sure everything was ok...it's such a big relief and excitement when you can see and hear that little heartbeat. This hasn't been medically proven, but an old wives tale is that higher hearbeat rates are girls, while slower rates are boys. It held true in my case!

Good luck!

BuckeyeRedleg
02-01-2008, 11:21 AM
Congrats and good luck, TS.

My wife is expecting our 4th (3rd boy) next month. Exciting times.

Keep us posted.

Roy Tucker
02-01-2008, 01:04 PM
It was flipping around, doing jumping jacks, push ups, summersaults, and it looks like its getting ready for spring training in there lol... great stuff, very cool feeling

Pretty soon, he/she will be asking for the car keys, a cell phone, and a new iPod.

:cool:

TeamSelig
04-10-2008, 03:05 PM
Update:

We are at 20 weeks tomorrow. We go in Monday morning for another ultrasound to check up on the organs and confirm that it is a boy ;) I am very excited!

Razor Shines
04-10-2008, 03:42 PM
Update:

We are at 20 weeks tomorrow. We go in Monday morning for another ultrasound to check up on the organs and confirm that it is a boy ;) I am very excited!

Congrats and I hope it all goes well. My wife and I found out last Friday that our first child is a boy.

You can use a line that I stole from Jimmy Pardo. Right before they do the ultra sound.
"I know it sounds cliche, but I just want it to be healthy...and not a girl."

WMR
04-10-2008, 03:44 PM
Please tell me you're not going to raise that child to be a Dook fan, RS.

Razor Shines
04-10-2008, 03:45 PM
Please tell me you're not going to raise that child to be a Dook fan, RS.

I'm on ebay everyday looking for a baby size JJ Redick jersey. :D

WMR
04-10-2008, 03:46 PM
Call child services!!

Highlifeman21
04-10-2008, 04:45 PM
I'm on ebay everyday looking for a baby size JJ Redick jersey. :D

It's good that you're looking for something specific to wipe the baby's butt with during changing time.

I would think that the Redick jersey would ultimately lead to the worst diaper rash history has ever known.

Razor Shines
04-10-2008, 06:12 PM
It's good that you're looking for something specific to wipe the baby's butt with during changing time.

I would think that the Redick jersey would ultimately lead to the worst diaper rash history has ever known.

:laugh: That's pretty good.

TeamSelig
04-14-2008, 10:59 AM
ITS A BOY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

oneupper
04-14-2008, 12:55 PM
ITS A BOY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Have a Cigar! :beerme::beerme:
Congrats!

Caseyfan21
04-14-2008, 09:03 PM

Congrats

Now turn him into a Reds fan ;)

GoReds33
04-14-2008, 09:06 PM
ITS A BOY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!I bet that was a relief.:)

Congrats. I hope you raise him right, and as CaseyFan21 said, make him a Reds fan.

wolfboy
04-14-2008, 09:10 PM

Congrats on the beginning of a very wild adventure! :beerme:

Chip R
04-14-2008, 09:18 PM

I hope when you saw him you said, "And what a boy!" ;)

HumnHilghtFreel
04-14-2008, 09:24 PM
Congrats, TS!

What's his name? Hopefully something Reds related like Norris.

Yachtzee
04-14-2008, 09:37 PM
Congrats, TS!

What's his name? Hopefully something Reds related like Norris.

Motorboat, or Franchester.

bucksfan
04-14-2008, 10:20 PM
Congratulations TS! Enjoy every second, even the tougher ones, as there is no greater joy.

TeamSelig
04-15-2008, 08:52 AM
Carson Andrew....

Carson isn't after the quarterback or talk show host - just like the name :D Andrew is after me (my first name).

If it were a girl, I was going with Addison Bailey although I would have probably changed it to Addison Cueto ;)

TeamSelig
07-29-2008, 03:54 PM
Update:

We are (well...she is :D) 1/2 to 1 cm dilated. She's had a contraction or two, nothing too crazy.

VR
07-29-2008, 04:25 PM
Breathe TS, breathe.:thumbup:

TeamSelig
08-12-2008, 11:38 PM
The plug came out!! My little boy should follow soon....

MrsHammer
08-14-2008, 05:23 PM
Shouldn't be too long now.....you have my best wishes for an easy, wonderful, beautiful delivery!

TeamSelig
08-28-2008, 05:10 PM
born Tuesday @ 12:14AM

21 inches 7 lbs 9 oz :)

http://www.gshvin.org/ME2/dirmod.asp?sid=A9D129F1AFDE40B989C4B11EC960AD7C&nm=Web+Babies&type=MyModule&mod=Directories%3A%3AWebBabies&mid=09BDA6B54CEE483E8AA7066ADBC73288&tier=3&id=0E540DDF31A54B28A1C6772B31F28BA8

^^ his page at the hospital

What a feeling.... cannot describe it :)

dougdirt
08-28-2008, 05:26 PM

http://www.gshvin.org/ME2/dirmod.asp?sid=A9D129F1AFDE40B989C4B11EC960AD7C&nm=Web+Babies&type=MyModule&mod=Directories%3A%3AWebBabies&mid=09BDA6B54CEE483E8AA7066ADBC73288&tier=3&id=0E540DDF31A54B28A1C6772B31F28BA8

Very nice! :thumbup:

BoydsOfSummer
08-28-2008, 06:22 PM
He's a cutie. Welcome to earth (and Redzone) lil feller!

Degenerate39
08-28-2008, 06:24 PM

I like the name. Congrats

RFS62
08-28-2008, 06:41 PM
Congratulations.

bucksfan
08-28-2008, 10:07 PM
Congratulations TS! After 6 yrs as a parent, I still cannot really describe it!

Razor Shines
08-28-2008, 11:28 PM

Congrats man. I know exactly how you are feeling right now. My boy was born Sunday morning. Oh man, when I held him for the first time..........definitely the most happiness I've ever felt. Such a cool thing.

Johnny Footstool
08-29-2008, 01:46 AM
Wow, that is one good-looking newborn!

Congratulations, TS! The best advice I can give you is to try to stay calm and enjoy the ride.

08-29-2008, 08:22 AM
Congratulations TS! After 6 yrs as a parent, I still cannot really describe it!

So true. Why, a few days ago, my 10 year old accidentilly tore a picket off a whiite vinyl fence in the front yard. Not an hour later, he broke a wood picket off of my back fence accidentilly. What a feeling!:)

I'll still keep him, the little bundle of joy!

Congratulations!

Chip R
08-29-2008, 08:31 AM
Congratulations!

oneupper
08-29-2008, 08:50 AM
Congratulations! Great looking kid!

Have the grandparents begun to spoil him yet?

oneupper
08-29-2008, 08:51 AM
Congrats man. I know exactly how you are feeling right now. My boy was born Sunday morning. Oh man, when I held him for the first time..........definitely the most happiness I've ever felt. Such a cool thing.

More congrats! We're going to have to open up a baby gallery on RZ.

wolfboy
08-29-2008, 09:28 AM

Congrats! He's one heck of a cute baby. :beerme:

TeamSelig
08-29-2008, 11:02 AM
Oh my.... we are so exhausted. I can barely find enough time to eat with all of the feeding, pooping, peeing, etc. He eats about every 2 hrs, then there is burping, getting him to fall asleep except finding out he has a dirty diaper, changing his diaper which wakes him up, calm him down, get him to fall asleep again, and then there is about 30-40 minutes before he wakes up to eat again. We spend our 30 minutes just looking at how precious he looks (especially while sleeping)...

We had a rough first night home, hopefully we will survive ;)

Razor Shines
08-29-2008, 08:13 PM
Oh my.... we are so exhausted. I can barely find enough time to eat with all of the feeding, pooping, peeing, etc. He eats about every 2 hrs, then there is burping, getting him to fall asleep except finding out he has a dirty diaper, changing his diaper which wakes him up, calm him down, get him to fall asleep again, and then there is about 30-40 minutes before he wakes up to eat again. We spend our 30 minutes just looking at how precious he looks (especially while sleeping)...

We had a rough first night home, hopefully we will survive ;)

Haha. We went to the Dr. today for his check up. The nurse asked if we were getting any sleep. I just stared ahead with a dazed look on my face. She said "are you ok?" I said "Yeah, I'm just thinking about the question. What is this sleep you speak of?"

SunDeck
08-30-2008, 06:53 AM
Welcome to parenthood. :beerme:

I think you will find that things improve after everyone settles into some kind of rhythm- the baby's includes sleeping, eating, pooping; yours, of course, includes catering to the eating and pooping.

Notice your part does not necessarily include sleeping. Sorry.
It is important to understand that things get better only after you have completely forgotten what it's like to be well rested. It's sort of like brain washing- the kid's job is to break you psychologically and get you to the point where you stop hoping it will end. Once that's done, you become a compliant worker/drone. So, the sooner you get with the program and accept your fate, the better you will feel.

Resistance is futile, if you know what I mean.

MrsHammer
09-02-2008, 04:33 PM
Congrats!

My daughter is 2, and I still haven't gotten that 8 hours of uninterrupted sleep yet...

Roy Tucker
09-02-2008, 04:40 PM
Oh my.... we are so exhausted. I can barely find enough time to eat with all of the feeding, pooping, peeing, etc.

Enough about you, what about the baby?

;)

SunDeck
09-03-2008, 06:41 AM
Congrats!

My daughter is 2, and I still haven't gotten that 8 hours of uninterrupted sleep yet...

MrHammer hasn't been sleeping through this, has he?

MrsHammer
09-03-2008, 03:13 PM
hehe....no, Mr. Hammer does his fair share. It's just that since our daughter is 2, she thinks she knows all and has specific jobs for Mommy and other jobs for Daddy. For better or worse, one of Mommy's jobs at the moment is the night time comforting. Lest you think we let her rule the roost....as a parent, I'm sure you know that you have to pick and choose your battles...for now, we'll let her go on this one. Gotta love toddlerhood!

SunDeck
09-03-2008, 03:35 PM
you have to pick and choose your battles...

I'm not sure I ever really excelled at that. For me against my daughter it's just one loss after another.