PDA

View Full Version : Oh, Antonella!!! COuld She Be Off Idol?

Dom Heffner
02-26-2007, 07:02 PM
I'll let you find the pics on your own, but holy cow, girl, don't go audition for a reality show if you've got some incriminating pictures somewhere out there.

A few of them- wowsa.

Is AI gonna boot her, if her singing doesn't do her in first??

registerthis
02-26-2007, 07:17 PM
She's pretty good lookin.

And speaking of her pictures, I walk by the WWII memorial all the time...and I'm wondering why I never see something like that? :)

Joseph
02-26-2007, 07:34 PM
She had me until the NC jersey.

RANDY IN INDY
02-26-2007, 07:42 PM
My opinion? As Hawk Harrelson might say, "She gone."

Ltlabner
02-26-2007, 09:00 PM
I found the pics a few days ago and have been debating posting anything about it. Two words....so long. As you said Dom, why the heck would she go on AI knowing these pics are out there?

ochre
02-26-2007, 09:13 PM
Check out exclusive videos and photos of American Idol Season 6 Top 24 Contestant Antonella Barba only on americanidol.com.
I'm guessing "exclusive" may not have been the best choice of words there then? :)

KoryMac5
02-27-2007, 12:06 AM
Since American Idol has kicked off contestants with questionable pasts before I would say she is all but gone.

edabbs44
02-27-2007, 12:08 AM
Jersey pride.

marcshoe
02-27-2007, 12:11 AM
I haven't seen her sing, but the story about whether all the photos were really her mentioned that she sang "I don't want to miss a thing" last week. That in itself should be enough to get her disqualified.

savafan
02-27-2007, 12:11 AM
This makes no sense to me. Is this a singing contest or a sainthood contest? Why should people have to constantly pay for the things they've done in the past? Couldn't an "American Idol" be someone who has overcome scandal and conflict in their life?

Grounds_Crew
02-27-2007, 01:07 AM
She's not even hot. Way too skinny and has a butter face.

From the words of the Fresh Prince, "she's aiiight".

Caveat Emperor
02-27-2007, 01:26 AM
She's not even hot. Way too skinny and has a butter face.

Jeeze -- and I thought *I* had high standards? :eek:

I think the old rule really is in full effect here -- never let anyone have photos of you that you would be embarassed to let your grandmother see. Its OK if YOU have photos of yourself like that, but why chance what a bad breakup or a few wrong words will lead someone to post or do.

MWM
02-27-2007, 01:36 AM
Hell, she can't sing at all and the only reason she's in it right now is her looks. She had no chance as it is, so this whole thing is probably the best way she's going to gain any kind of fame or notoriety.

LoganBuck
02-27-2007, 01:36 AM
Jeeze -- and I thought *I* had high standards? :eek:

I think the old rule really is in full effect here -- never let anyone have photos of you that you would be embarassed to let your grandmother see. Its OK if YOU have photos of yourself like that, but why chance what a bad breakup or a few wrong words will lead someone to post or do.

What CE said, my wife's grandmother also adds every now and then that people should only wear sensible white underwear, because you never know when you will be in an accident. I thought she was crazy until about a week later there was a car crash and they had a picture of one of the victims being transported on a gurney, and HE had a testicle visable behind what looked like women's black thong underwear, this was on the front page of a small time newspaper. It was a local scandal that the newspaper printed this.

LoganBuck
02-27-2007, 01:38 AM
Hell, she can't sing at all and the only reason she's in it right now is her looks. She had no chance as it is, so this whole thing is probably the best way she's going to gain any kind of fame or notoriety.

Coming Soon to a Playboy Magazine near you.

MrCinatit
02-27-2007, 08:22 AM
Coming Soon to a Playboy Magazine near you.

My money's on Hustler.

Ltlabner
02-27-2007, 08:59 AM
My money's on Hustler.

She could also be "straight to video" if you know what I mean. ;)

max venable
02-27-2007, 09:01 AM
This makes no sense to me. Is this a singing contest or a sainthood contest? Why should people have to constantly pay for the things they've done in the past? Couldn't an "American Idol" be someone who has overcome scandal and conflict in their life?

I guess I agree with your take, sava. I'd probably just let her go on. The idea is that the viewers decide, right? America will vote her off this week anyway.

Roy Tucker
02-27-2007, 09:35 AM

It's Fox's show and they can do whatever they like with it. This show has large family (children and teens) audience and they've maintained a squeaky clean Disney-esque image. Fox knows they have a gold mine with AI and wants to keep it that way.

There are plenty of other shows where the real world intrudes more if that is one's tastes. The majority of shows on TV actually.

I can't recall the specifics, but others have gotten summarily booted off the show for similar photo hijinks and pot busts.

max venable
02-27-2007, 10:15 AM
It's Fox's show and they can do whatever they like with it. This show has large family (children and teens) audience and they've maintained a squeaky clean Disney-esque image. Fox knows they have a gold mine with AI and wants to keep it that way.

I completely disagree with that statement. The things contestants wear (or don't wear), the lyrics of their songs, contestants at auditions cussing at the camera and flipping people off, and innuendo from the personalities, IMO, are hardly sqeaky clean. Sometimes I cringe when I'm watching it with my kids. Just sayin'.

Dom Heffner
02-27-2007, 05:29 PM
The things contestants wear (or don't wear), the lyrics of their songs, contestants at auditions cussing at the camera and flipping people off, and innuendo from the personalities, IMO, are hardly sqeaky clean. Sometimes I cringe when I'm watching it with my kids. Just sayin'.

You make an interesting point, Max.

Roy Tucker
02-28-2007, 04:46 PM
I completely disagree with that statement. The things contestants wear (or don't wear), the lyrics of their songs, contestants at auditions cussing at the camera and flipping people off, and innuendo from the personalities, IMO, are hardly sqeaky clean. Sometimes I cringe when I'm watching it with my kids. Just sayin'.

(just saw this)

Yeah, there is a lot of truth to what you say. I got a little carried away. But it is almost like AI is 2 separate shows.

The early parts of the show are fairly raunchy with all the bizarro contestants they run through. Lots of flipping off, bleeped out dialogue, strange costumes, and some really ambiguously-sexed people. Weird stuff and I'll agree that a lot of it isn't little kid stuff.

But once they decide on the final 24, it gets a lot better. Still some suggestive singing and dancing, but relatively tame stuff. Maybe not squeaky clean but clean for modern-day TV.

For this season, the split seems more pronounced. The early shows were almost complete oddball contestants with just a few normal people sprinkled in. For the final 24, I can hardly remember any of them being on before the Hollywood shows. And the Hollywood shows seemed abbreviated as well. The final 24 kind of came out of nowhere really.

StillFunkyB
02-28-2007, 06:04 PM
The pictures are a hoax. There is proof, just use google.

Edit: At least the ones that would be in an adult magazine are.

registerthis
02-28-2007, 06:09 PM
The pictures are a hoax. There is proof, just use google.

Edit: At least the ones that would be in an adult magazine are.

Yeah, you could tell that those were phony, there's really no question about that.

But the ones in the WWII Memorial are most certainly her.

max venable
02-28-2007, 11:14 PM
I think she'll be gone anyway...she was awful tonight. Just awful.

Looks like it's gonna be a two-horse race between Melinda and LaKisha.

KoryMac5
03-01-2007, 12:16 AM
I told my wife that Melinda and Lakisha should be on seperate nights from the other contestants. They are very tough acts to follow. Melinda gave me chills tonight and I would rate her performance as one of the best I have heard on the show.

Dom Heffner
03-01-2007, 11:38 AM
If Sanjaya is still there after tonight, it will be proof that he has the little old lady vote wrappedup.

It will also be evidence of there not being a just God. That kid is terrible, terrible, terrible.

max venable
03-01-2007, 12:47 PM
If Sanjaya is still there after tonight, it will be proof that he has the little old lady vote wrappedup.

It will also be evidence of there not being a just God. That kid is terrible, terrible, terrible.
Could it be that the whole country of India is voting for him like crazy?

timmario66
03-01-2007, 12:51 PM

According to DialIdol he's second in voting.:confused: Could be a couple of surprises tonight if this is true.

http://dialidol.com/asp/predictions/Predictions.asp

max venable
03-01-2007, 12:59 PM
Our family watches Idol religiously. We have a great time watching it together. After each show, we each get one vote so we have some dialogue about who each of us is voting for.

Last night we voted for:

Me: Melinda
Wife: Jordin
11-year old daughter: Stephanie
8-year-old daughter: Alaina
4-year-old son: did not vote :)

Interestingly, none of us agreed.

Roy Tucker
03-01-2007, 12:59 PM

The tweeners love him.

He's this year's Kevin Covais.

Dom Heffner
03-01-2007, 01:45 PM
Could it be that the whole country of India is voting for him like crazy?

Either that or the entire gay community.

Honestly, if he's there after tonight, I'm not sure if I'll keep watching.

IslandRed
03-01-2007, 02:12 PM

There's always someone who inexplicably hangs in there for awhile. It's not a big deal to me in which order the also-rans get run, as long as they're not knocking off any of the real contenders.

Dom Heffner
03-01-2007, 02:41 PM
There's always someone who inexplicably hangs in there for awhile. It's not a big deal to me in which order the also-rans get run, as long as they're not knocking off any of the real contenders.

I'm being dramatic, of course, but geesh, that was awful.

hat gets a little old is hearing Simon blab on about how it's a singing competition when they put through people solely on their looks. Antonella forgot the words to her song, can't sing, but she gets on because she's hot. There were several females who sang better who should be there.

RFS62
03-01-2007, 04:52 PM
Antonella forgot the words to her song, can't sing, but she gets on because she's hot.

What's your point?

:cool:

Ltlabner
03-01-2007, 05:08 PM
I wonder what Simon will do if the one heavy-set black lady (lakisha?) who sings wicked good, starts to lead the pack. I know he's praised her pipes, but he's also had problems with people not 'looking' like a pop-star in the past.

Also, during the try-outs they had a black woman get turned down, but the judges brought her back for a 2nd try and decided to let her go to Hollywood. She was making some really weird faces. What happened to her? Did she get booted during Hollywood week?

Red in Chicago
03-01-2007, 08:31 PM
Either that or the entire gay community.

not the entire community dom, i can assure you:evil:

Ltlabner
03-01-2007, 09:30 PM
Well, Alania just got sent home. What a mess. She spent most of her goodbye song hugging the other contestants. No real supise there. Althought I didn't see the women sing this past week, I didn't peg her to be around very long.

I just got back to the hotel room to find out that Nic Pedro got sent packing. Frankly, not much to say about that.

Dom Heffner
03-01-2007, 09:52 PM
Geesh, even Sanjaya can't believe he's staying.

He was so bad, and will continue to be, that this is going to be painful to watch.

Prediction: They will bring up Antonella and the actual girl who's going home and send her packing.

jmcclain19
03-01-2007, 10:52 PM
wow - Sanjaya was just flat out awful two weeks straight and he's staying. Both my wife and I thought AJ was one of the better singers two weeks running.

Not exactly a "singing" competition is it?

macro
03-02-2007, 12:40 AM
The problem with AJ and the other guy that got sent home tonight was that, voices aside, they were just too ordinary. They simply look like too many other people, so that makes them forgettable. Yes, Sundance and others can sing, but they're also unique.

It is sad that Antonella stays, but surely her nights are numbered. The two women who went home were no surprises. The redhead (man, I'm having trouble remembering names tonight) was unique, but perhaps a bit too unique. I think she made people watching uncomfortable.

Simon can remind us all that this is a "singing competition" all he wants, but what this is, first and foremost, is a television show. The people chosen for Hollywood and for the final 24 are chosen based on who will make for good television. Then, when it's turned over to the public and their phone calls, it's about making an impression. The two guys who got sent home tonight are better singers than some who remain, but they just didn't leave an impression.

And I can't believe no one has commented on Kellie Pickler! What was the deal with the...um...enhancements? Her chest looked like plastic. Oh, and a year later, she still can't sing and she's still really annoying. Did half a million people really buy her CD?

redsfan30
03-02-2007, 12:47 AM
And I can't believe no one has commented on Kellie Pickler! What was the deal with the...um...enhancements? Her chest looked like plastic. Oh, and a year later, she still can't sing and she's still really annoying. Did half a million people really buy her CD?

Can't sing? Check.

Annoying? Check.

Hot? Check.

GIK
03-02-2007, 12:48 AM
She spent her money wisely. :evil: Even Ryan hinted at her *ahem* new purchases.

All in all, though, I'm a bit disappointed in this year's class.

MWM
03-02-2007, 01:48 AM
Yeah, the second Kellie came out on stage my wife commented that they were OBVIOUSLY fake. I don't think I've ever seen a boob job more obiousl than that one, Pam Anderson aside. If you're going to get them, you could at least be a little subtle. She was basically shouting from the rooftops that he had implants. Not the smartest move int he world given her genre. But I don't think anyone is ever going to accuse Kelli of being all that smart to begin with.

There goes that "aw shucks" little innocent country girl image. By next year's show people will be asking who the heck Kelli Pickler is.

max venable
03-02-2007, 01:55 AM
Yeah, my wife and I agreed that her new look does not fit her personality. It's incongruous.

But she did look good. :evil:

Ltlabner
03-02-2007, 09:09 AM

I was going to comment on them last night but thought the better of it. She was definatley looking very...um....healthy. Front and back for that matter.

Dom Heffner
03-02-2007, 09:30 AM
Hot? Check.

Yeah, in a Frisch's waitress sort of way.

That hair made her look like she should be working at the Green Valley store in Williamsburg.

You can the girl out of the country....

RANDY IN INDY
03-02-2007, 09:35 AM
Nothin wrong with country girls.

Dom Heffner
03-02-2007, 09:40 AM
Nothin wrong with country girls.

Absolutely not- heck, I went to school in Williamsburg.

It just looks odd to see the hybrid Kellie Pickler. Implants, dress, that hair, etc.

Carrie Underwood is hot as heck, but she doesn't look like Kellie did last night.

Dom Heffner
03-02-2007, 09:47 AM
About Kellie Pickler in an article on MSNBC :

"Not only is she not a contestant, she’s already sold dozens of records, guest-hosted “The View,” and apparently hired Dolly Parton’s wardrobe consultant, hair stylist and comedy writers."

That's what she reminded me of last night, and while Dolly Parton is one of my top ten favorite artists of all time, I just don't find that attractive in the romantic sense. IMVHO, of course.

registerthis
03-02-2007, 11:46 AM
"Not only is she not a contestant, she’s already sold dozens of records

Sold dozens of records? Hell, I've done that. My band moved about 100 albums in one evening when we played NXNE a few years ago.

Ltlabner
03-07-2007, 07:44 AM
Watched the men sing last night. God they suck. What a collection of dreck and crap. A couple of them might qualify as 'good' when they are really, really on. Other than that....horrible.

RANDY IN INDY
03-07-2007, 09:18 AM
The worst group that I have seen since the show started. If it weren't for the girls, the show would be in trouble.

Redhook
03-07-2007, 09:59 AM
Watched the men sing last night. God they suck. What a collection of dreck and crap. A couple of them might qualify as 'good' when they are really, really on. Other than that....horrible.

It's amazing how bad they actually are. My girlfriend watched the show with me last night. This was the first episode she saw this season. At the end of the show she was shocked when they were the final 8 guys. She thought it was closer to the audition stage.

They're awful. The only guy that I find entertaining is the beat boxer guy. He can't sing at all, but he is entertaining.

The worst group that I have seen since the show started. If it weren't for the girls, the show would be in trouble.

And there's only about 3 girls that are any good. Huge disappointment this year. Last year may have been the best year, and to go directly to the worst year, by far, is really disappointing.

Red Leader
03-07-2007, 10:11 AM
There goes that "aw shucks" little innocent country girl image. By next year's show people will be asking who the heck Kelli Pickler is.

Who the heck is Kelli Pickler? :dunno:

minus5
03-07-2007, 10:29 AM
I only saw the re-cap on the news this morning and I've not seen one episode since the auditions early on but the guy that looks like the guy from The Turtles (Is it Flo or Eddie?) sounded OK in the line or two I heard. The others just sounded horrible. The 17 year old guy, I'm not sure how he could have made it past a karaoke competition at his local TGI Friday's much less this far in a national TV show.

Chip R
03-07-2007, 10:32 AM
Who the heck is Kelli Pickler? :dunno:

You just want someone to post a picture of her. :evil:

Red Leader
03-07-2007, 10:35 AM
You just want someone to post a picture of her. :evil:

If it makes you feel better, I'd be happy with a 'before' picture.

But I'm sure everyone else would like to see the 'after' as well, so you can go ahead and post that, too. If you want. :evil:

In all honesty, I have no idea who she is.

Ltlabner
03-07-2007, 10:37 AM

But I'm sure everyone else would like to see the 'after' as well, so you can go ahead and post that, too. If you want. :evil:

One vote for the "after" picture please.

Yes. I am a pig. Thank you.

Dom Heffner
03-07-2007, 11:14 AM
Phil Stacey needs to work on his low voice, because he sounds terrible until the song goes up. I mean, he was just awful for the entire first part of that song.

RANDY IN INDY
03-07-2007, 11:16 AM
The sad part is that none of these guys would be on the show if it were just about any other season. What may seem good this season, is not.

Red Leader
03-07-2007, 11:18 AM
Phil Stacey needs to work on his low voice, because he sounds terrible until the song goes up. I mean, he was just awful for the entire first part of that song.

I agreed with Simon on that guy. He was just creepy in that hat. Reminded me of Jim Carrey in The Mask.

http://diariovasco.hator.com/argazkiak/1238/mascara.jpg

KoryMac5
03-07-2007, 12:10 PM

I find that this has been a problem with many of the singers over the last few years. Many of them can't hit the low notes on the songs.

Ltlabner
03-07-2007, 12:17 PM
That heavy set guy with the curly Jack Osborne hair sorta, kinda reminds of of Michael McDonald. Only with a weaker, less rich voice.

Dom Heffner
03-07-2007, 06:43 PM
The whole gang is bad. Thank goodness for the girls. It's good to be a girl because the guys are going to go one by one, out the door.

MWM
03-07-2007, 08:32 PM
According to DialIdol, Phil Stacy is gone tonight.

I agree that this the worst collection of talent since the show started. There are some good girls, but they all sound the same.

jmcclain19
03-07-2007, 11:55 PM
FWIW - DialIdol is showing that Antonella might finally get her comeuppance tomorrow.

But if Sanjaya stays while Sundance goes, I think my season of American Idol is about finished.

KoryMac5
03-08-2007, 12:10 AM
The girls are definitely in a league of their own. :bowrofl:

HotCorner
03-08-2007, 01:00 AM

Looky here ...

http://www.wcnc.com/news/local/stories/D_IMAGE.1110327b837.93.88.fa.d0.24a92ca9.jpg

Dom Heffner
03-08-2007, 01:58 AM
Antonella and that girl who Simon didn't know her name (and I don't either) need to go.

And let Sanjaya go, too. He is worse than the geek, Kevin Covais, was last year.

Ltlabner
03-08-2007, 08:33 AM
Looky here ...

http://www.wcnc.com/news/local/stories/D_IMAGE.1110327b837.93.88.fa.d0.24a92ca9.jpg

Hello girls. How are we today? :evil:

macro
03-08-2007, 09:39 AM
Guys, that is one horribly botched-up surgery that Pickler has had. Just awful.

Dom Heffner
03-08-2007, 03:56 PM
I just read where Dial Idol is saying its going to be Stpehanie Edwards and Haley Scarnato for the girls and Phil Stacey and Sundance Head for the guys.

There's a big margin of error, but it looks like any hope of getting rid of Sanjaya "I flat-iron my hair" Malakar and Antonella is dead in the water.

I think we are stuck with them until the best talent finally overwhelms the movement to save these losers.

And I really blame the judges for this. They put people up there who weren't as good as everybody else and then they complain about it being a singing competition.

Randy was talking about how Sanjaya wowed them in his first audition and never came close since.

Gee- you mean he sounded good in a hotel meeting room but sounds horrible with a microphone and full band behind him? Ever think that with a soft voice like his, you might, you know, think that his lousy performance in Hollywood week wasn't a fluke?

And I'm happy about Phil Stacey being gone if true. For whatever reason, that guy starts off songs just weird. And that hat. And those eyes. Eck!

redsfan30
03-08-2007, 04:49 PM
Guys, that is one horribly botched-up surgery that Pickler has had. Just awful.

They look fine to me!

:evil:

KoryMac5
03-08-2007, 05:37 PM
If it is Stephanie Edwards tonight instead of Antonella the calls of American Idol being racist will be all over the airways tomorrow.

bengalsown
03-08-2007, 10:36 PM
Sanjaya is still on the show? What kind of idiots are voting for him to stay?

cincy09
03-08-2007, 10:51 PM
this show is such a joke now........they need to just have doolittle and lakisha battle it out now and call it a day!

MWM
03-08-2007, 11:08 PM
Joke. Worst season ever.

jmcclain19
03-08-2007, 11:47 PM
yeah - Sanjaya over Sundance. Thanks AI - I'll see you next season.

Ltlabner
03-09-2007, 12:03 AM
I missed it. Who got booted? Sounds like sundance did, but who else?

Danny Serafini
03-09-2007, 12:18 AM
Sundance, Jared, Sabrina and Antonella

macro
03-09-2007, 12:23 AM
Meanwhile, Phil Stacey and Sanjaya will make the tour this summer as members of the final twelve. What a joke! Also, Sabrina was head and shoulders better than Haley Scarnato.

Ltlabner
03-09-2007, 12:38 AM
Sundance, Jared, Sabrina and Antonella

:eek:

Yikes. Sabrina was pretty decent.

Antonella sucked. I didn't like either of those guys, but what the heck is the Indian dude still doing there? He's horrible.

Danny Serafini
03-09-2007, 01:08 AM
Sabrina was really good, but there were enough similar singers (Sabrina, Stephanie, Jordin) that they had to start cannibalizing each other at some point.

savafan
03-09-2007, 02:55 AM
I thought Sabrina was the best of the bunch. I'm really disappointed.

I also really liked Sundance, while Sanjaya and Phil leave me reaching for the mute button. I wish I'd never started watching this "singing" competition.

macro
03-09-2007, 10:15 AM
Sabrina was really good, but there were enough similar singers (Sabrina, Stephanie, Jordin) that they had to start cannibalizing each other at some point.

I agree. They all sing a similar style, and those who have that style as their favorite most likely split the vote.

Ialso really liked Sundance, while Sanjaya and Phil leave me reaching for the mute button. I wish I'd never started watching this "singing" competition.

Phil just plain makes me uncomfortable.

I think I said this earlier in the thread, but this is, first and foremost, a TELEVISION SHOW. Those sent to Hollywood and those chosen for the final 24 are chosen based on who will make for good television. That's how we end up with the Sanjayas, Antonellas, and Gina Glocksens of the world in the final 24. (Based on your putting "singing" in quotes, I'm sure you agree.)

Oh, and they give the illusion that it's the three judges choosing the final 24. I firmly believe that the producers have a heavy hand in those selections, again based on who will attract viewers. Yes, they put the elite singers through, but they also sprinkle in the Sanjayas and Antonellas to make for better television.

I'll still watch, but I'm less excited about it this year than ever.

max venable
03-09-2007, 10:19 AM
I'll still watch, but I'm less excited about it this year than ever.

Same here.

And as for Dial Idol predictions...last night's show tells you how much they know (or don't know).

Roy Tucker
03-09-2007, 10:51 AM
I whole-heartedly concur with macro's comments.

I was surprised at Sabrina going off the show. Early on, I thought she had a shot at winning the whole thing (albeit small chance). But yeah, she got lost in the mix.

I never thought Sundance had a shot, but I did enjoy his personality. I liked the "someone give me a job" comment. I'm glad he can get home to his little boy now.

If I were Sanjaya, I'd quit. The judges were taking unabashed shots at him last night and all but calling him a joke (which he is, but still...).

It's still a 2-horse race between Melissa and Lakisha. Jordin has an outside shot. But that's about it.

Benihana
03-09-2007, 04:25 PM
I whole-heartedly concur with macro's comments.

I was surprised at Sabrina going off the show. Early on, I thought she had a shot at winning the whole thing (albeit small chance). But yeah, she got lost in the mix.

I never thought Sundance had a shot, but I did enjoy his personality. I liked the "someone give me a job" comment. I'm glad he can get home to his little boy now.

If I were Sanjaya, I'd quit. The judges were taking unabashed shots at him last night and all but calling him a joke (which he is, but still...).

It's still a 2-horse race between Melissa and Lakisha. Jordin has an outside shot. But that's about it.

I wouldn't write off Blake Lewis or Chris Robinson, either. I know its "the girls' to win" but these guys should be there in the end. My prediction: Melinda gets cut before the final two- she may be the best singer, but as bad as it may sound, she's just too unattractive (with not enough charisma- outside of her singing). I'm not saying I agree with it, but I think America votes for LaKisha before they vote for her.

I CAN'T BELIEVE that Sanjaya is still in it. Who is voting for that freak?

Danny Serafini
03-09-2007, 04:28 PM
I just don't get Chris. He's never once struck me as anything but filler.

Red Leader
03-09-2007, 04:36 PM

Michael Jackson, part deux, and without any of the singing and dancing talent.

max venable
03-09-2007, 04:43 PM
I think Blake has a very good shot at winning for the same reason that Taylor won last year: he's an entertainer. He'll always get a ton of votes because he's just fun to watch.

Ltlabner
03-09-2007, 05:08 PM
How do you guys think some of the old classic music stars would do on todays AI?

Aerthea
Elvis
Steven Tyler
Beach Boys

Maybe not even some of these specific people, but I wonder if some of the stars of yesteryear would have been given the boot in an AI style competition.

Red Leader
03-09-2007, 05:11 PM
How do you guys think some of the old classic music stars would do on todays AI?

Aerthea
Elvis
Steven Tyler
Beach Boys

Maybe not even some of these specific people, but I wonder if some of the stars of yesteryear would have been given the boot in an AI style competition.

I don't think Meatloaf would have made it to Hollywood.

MWM
03-09-2007, 05:58 PM
I don't think the majority of the current poular artists would have a prayer on this show. Very few people I hear on the radio can sing worth a damn. It's about the music (or the overall sound) and image, not the vocal ability. Thre are exceptions, but that's the rule.

Dom Heffner
03-09-2007, 06:50 PM
I'm not saying I agree with it, but I think America votes for LaKisha before they vote for her.

You think Lakisha is better looking than Melinda? Are you on crack?;)

Trust me, neither of them is going anywhere, even though neither of them will be on a swimsuit calendar anytime soon.

I just don't get Chris. He's never once struck me as anything but filler.

Everybody fawns all over him and I just don't get it. His voice is average, his performances are loopy. He's like a very, very poor man's Justin Timberlake without the talent.

Wow, I gotta get a life soon because this season just stinks talentwise.

I've heard people in the music business talk about how some contestants can sing better they can. I want to say Mark McGrath even made a comment how he can't sing as well as some of these people can.

These judges speak out of both sides of their mouth sometimes. When Antonella was asked if she deserved to be in the top 12, she gave a pretty good answer, I thought, when she said she isn't better, she's different.

Good heavens, everybody knows someone like Britney Spears can't sing worth a darn and she has sold millions of records. Antonella could do the same with some studio help and the right career choices.

So I think to merely look at these people and say, "Who's the best singer" is a bit naive when the point of the show isn't simply to see who has the best voice but to launch a music career- and sorry, but being commerical helps and looks are a part of that. That isn't the way it should be, but I hate the way the rain messes up my clothes, too- not a lot I can do about that.

As well with Antonella- I realize it is a singing competition, but don't put someone in there who can't sing and then complain when she doesn't. That girl doesn't sing any differently than when she first auditioned. The judges gave her the benefit of the doubt because she is attractive- they are no different the public they scorn.

RedsManRick
03-09-2007, 09:00 PM
Sanjaya = Chicken Little 2.0

Sadly, as with other reality shows, we're seeing the devolution of the final 12 in to a set of archetypes. Maybe it's truly reflective of the voting population -- a self selected marketing segmentation. Maybe it's being encouraged by the producers. In any case, there will almost always be the same balance of "types" of people, and Sanjaya fits on of the molds.

guttle11
03-09-2007, 09:03 PM
The judges should make the cuts until they reach the top 12, with no gender allotments. There should probably only be 3 or 4 guys in the top 12.

savafan
03-09-2007, 09:27 PM
I doubt Buddy Holly or Johnny Cash would get too far on American Idol, which is sad.

macro
03-09-2007, 11:45 PM
How far would Bob Dylan have made it?

CrackerJack
03-10-2007, 01:31 AM
This show makes me sad.

cincinnati chili
03-10-2007, 08:43 AM
I doubt Buddy Holly or Johnny Cash would get too far on American Idol, which is sad.

I've only watched the show a couple times, but I've seen Simon address this point on the show and in interviews. Those guys, along with Bob Dylan, are anti-establishment. American Idol IS the establishment. It would be silly for American Idol to embrace such artists or for such artists to seek AI's approval.

KoryMac5
03-10-2007, 07:23 PM
Haley definitely should have gotten the boot, she even forgot the words to Stuck in the Middle With You.

Yachtzee
03-11-2007, 12:30 AM
I've only watched the show a couple times, but I've seen Simon address this point on the show and in interviews. Those guys, along with Bob Dylan, are anti-establishment. American Idol IS the establishment. It would be silly for American Idol to embrace such artists or for such artists to seek AI's approval.

Sounds about right, but I think it's more than just that. I would also say that their talent goes beyond their voice. No one is asking the AI contestants to play their own instruments or write their own lyrics. What makes a Johnny Cash song or a Bob Dylan song great is the combination of instrumentation, lyrics and a unique voice that give the song it's own character. I pick on my wife because she watches the show religiously and will point out songs on the radio that are sung by former AI contestants. If you don't know them from AI, they sound pretty much like "replacement level" pop singers. It's not their singing voice. IMO, it's that they lack any kind of identifiable character that they add to their music.

RedsBaron
03-11-2007, 07:23 AM

Buddy Holly, Johnny Cash and Bob Dylan primarily wrote and recorded original material. AI contestants, at least on the show, do not, as far as I know.

macro
03-11-2007, 05:56 PM

Approaching it from a more superficial level, my point was that Dylan and others would be too "different" to make it on the show. If Dylan or Cash auditioned, they would be told something to the effect of "you'll never sell any records".

RedsBaron
03-14-2007, 08:06 AM
Approaching it from a more superficial level, my point was that Dylan and others would be too "different" to make it on the show. If Dylan or Cash auditioned, they would be told something to the effect of "you'll never sell any records".

I believe Cash was told that very thing when he started out-at least that it what is shown in "Walk The Line."

minus5
03-14-2007, 10:12 AM
Haley definitely should have gotten the boot, she even forgot the words to Stuck in the Middle With You.

Is that the same girl that forgot the word on last night's show? Her pitch was just horrible. I don't watch it enough to know who anyone is, except for LaKisha.

Dom Heffner
03-14-2007, 10:31 AM
The judges have really gotten on my nerves the last few weeks:

It's a singing competition, but oh by the way, you look awful. It's a singing competition, but first of all, let me say you look terrific.

You have to be original, and that was a copycat version. On a song like that, you don't have to be original, just sing it.

You don't have to flex your voice on that song. You should come out here and give it all you have.

My head spins listening to them.

Haley does not deserve to go this week. Sanjaya, again, does. He is terrible. Awful. The worst the show has ever seen. He doesn't seem to get that he is taking another person's place because the American public feels sorry for him.

Benihana
03-14-2007, 10:31 AM
I actually think Brandon should be shown the door after last night. Granted, Sanjaya is clearly the worst, but given his following, he is making for good television seeing him get dissed by the judges each week. Brandon just brings nothing to the table.

Dom Heffner
03-14-2007, 10:36 AM
Brandon just brings nothing to the table.

He's this year Elliot Yamin to me. Everybody loves him, and I don't get it.

IslandRed
03-14-2007, 12:07 PM
Haley does not deserve to go this week. Sanjaya, again, does. He is terrible. Awful. The worst the show has ever seen. He doesn't seem to get that he is taking another person's place because the American public feels sorry for him.

Oh, I think he gets it, judging from his reactions the last couple of times he's been told he's staying instead of going. But better to be a mediocre singer than to be a mediocre singer and a quitter.

Redsland
03-14-2007, 12:24 PM
Permit me to introduce you to these guys (http://www.votefortheworst.com/).

macro
03-14-2007, 02:58 PM
Permit me to introduce you to these guys (http://www.votefortheworst.com/).

...and that would explain why DialIdol.com has him listed as one of only three who are definitely safe this week. They have Melinda, Lakisha, and him as safe, and the other nine too close to call. I think it will be Stephanie who goes home.

Roy Tucker
03-21-2007, 12:16 PM
So, what was with that young girl crying in the audience on last night's show?

Something tells me we haven't seen the last of Sanjaya. Looks like he's decided to flaunt his awfulness.

Red Leader
03-21-2007, 12:21 PM
So, what was with that young girl crying in the audience on last night's show?

Something tells me we haven't seen the last of Sanjaya. Looks like he's decided to flaunt his awfulness.

My wife kept saying "What the _ _ _ _ is wrong with that girl?"

I don't know. Sanjaya was terrible. So was the chick that did Paint It Black. Phil Stacey wasn't far behind.

Those three should defininely be the next to go.

Also, I thought for the first time LaKisha was clearly outsung. Jordin Sparks clearly outdid her last night. Fantastic performance for Jordin.

Redsland
03-21-2007, 12:35 PM
Those three should defininely be the next to go.
If that's how you feel, I urge you not to visit dialidol (http://www.dialidol.com/asp/predictions/Predictions.asp).

BuckeyeRed27
03-21-2007, 12:44 PM
I actually thought Sanjaya was better than Phil last night. I think the bottom 3 should be Phil, Gina and Stephanie (I thought she was pretty bad). Haley I thought was good and looked pretty hot, but went first and that is always a disadvantage. They could really call the show right now and just give it to Melinda. She is in a league above everybody else.

Red Leader
03-21-2007, 12:48 PM
If that's how you feel, I urge you not to visit dialidol (http://www.dialidol.com/asp/predictions/Predictions.asp).

This is really the first year I've watched beyond the auditions. And let me tell you....this show sucks!

Are you kidding me? I was so hoping that Simon would have told Sanjaya..."if you would have given tonights performance in your audition, you wouldn't have made it beyond that room." He sucks.

Phil Stacey is another one that bugs me. He has a decent voice, but in no way should he be ranked higher than 10th out of the Final 12.

Gina Glocksen's performance last night was horrendous. I'm glad to see that at least some people recognize that.

Overall, terrible, though. I'm glad I never watched beyond the auditions in years past because this part of the show is just not good. If people are swaying the vote one way or another and taking the credibility away from it, then the vote should be taken away from them and they should put in a panel of "experts - known musicians" to vote.

Dom Heffner
03-21-2007, 12:51 PM
Sanjaya is terrible.

I make that post once a week.

BuckeyeRed27
03-21-2007, 12:58 PM
This is really the first year I've watched beyond the auditions. And let me tell you....this show sucks!

Are you kidding me? I was so hoping that Simon would have told Sanjaya..."if you would have given tonights performance in your audition, you wouldn't have made it beyond that room." He sucks.

Phil Stacey is another one that bugs me. He has a decent voice, but in no way should he be ranked higher than 10th out of the Final 12.

Gina Glocksen's performance last night was horrendous. I'm glad to see that at least some people recognize that.

Overall, terrible, though. I'm glad I never watched beyond the auditions in years past because this part of the show is just not good. If people are swaying the vote one way or another and taking the credibility away from it, then the vote should be taken away from them and they should put in a panel of "experts - known musicians" to vote.

This season easily has the worst top 12 and I think its magnified even more because last season was so entertaining with some really good talent.

Ltlabner
03-21-2007, 01:01 PM
Last night truely highlights how hideous this show is. Figures the first year I invest the time and it sucks rocks.

First, am I the only one who would like to see Ryan sent packing? Has he decided it's his job to keep Simon (you know, the boss) in line. Shut the heck up and announce the phone numbers please.

The singing last night was basically horriable. Even Lakisha stunk. She should have blown Diamonds are Forever out of the water with that big voice of hers and she choked. Melinda did a very good job but Simon was right the first part was dull.

And mangina, opps...I mean Sanjaya was just plain creepy last night. In a weird way I think that was his best performance but it was still creepy. The crying girl part only added to the creep factor.

I can't believe I've let myself get sucked into this steeming pile of dung.

What time is the show tonight?

BuckeyeRed27
03-21-2007, 01:03 PM
I was really hoping to come into work today pick up USA Today and see the headline "Sanjaya Makes Little Girls Cry".

Oh well.

Roy Tucker
03-21-2007, 01:34 PM
Aw, it's just a TV show. Accept it for what it is, a contrived talent show that the producers have jiggered to generate some low-brow drama.

It's a guilty pleasure. I'll confess, I have fun watching it and making rude comments. The more I watch modern day TV, the more I'm reminded of the movie "Network".

Having said all that, I thought last night's singing was pretty good compared to what's been on previous weeks.

Dracodave
03-21-2007, 04:32 PM
What the EFF was with that little girl btw?

That made no sense. The entire show she cried, and I agree. I wanted to cry too...it sucked so bad.

HotCorner
03-21-2007, 05:34 PM
http://img2-preview.timeinc.net/ew/dynamic/imgs/070320/idol_l.jpg

paintmered
03-21-2007, 09:26 PM

That made no sense. The entire show she cried, and I agree. I wanted to cry too...it sucked so bad.

I think her ears were hurting. That's the only explanation.

Yachtzee
03-21-2007, 10:27 PM

I just think she was upset because greedy developers were going to foreclose on her parents' home in the Goon Docks so they could build a golf course.

http://www.punkasspunk.com/goonies/marthaplimpton2.jpg

WebScorpion
03-22-2007, 11:22 AM
yeah - Sanjaya over Sundance. Thanks AI - I'll see you next season.
That was my attitude when Fantasia, DeGarmo, and the Hawaiian girl were kept in favor of LaToya London in season 3 or 4? ... she was the clear winner of that season and didn't even make the top 3??? Since then, I only watch if I can't find anything else worth watching ... before that my whole family liked to watch and discuss who was the best and why. This is actually the first season I've watched more than a couple episodes and the family is usually busy doing other things. I've seen nothing to compel me to watch more or encourage the family to watch any at all. I can actually sing better than that Indian guy. :thumbdown

klw
03-22-2007, 12:46 PM
http://img2-preview.timeinc.net/ew/dynamic/imgs/070320/idol_l.jpg

This girl will be teased until about this everyday of her life until she graudates high school and moves somewhere no one recognizes her.

Yachtzee
03-22-2007, 12:50 PM
I don't really watch the show that much. I get reports from my wife the AI addict. However, I had time so I watched it on Tivo with my wife. I actually thought most of the people did a pretty good job. But then I have nothing to compare it to. But my personal favorite was that Haley girl that went first. Sounded a little like Olivia Newton John and was very "jiggly." :evil:

The one I thought was the worst was that chick who did "Diamonds are Forever." I'm sure she's a good singer, but she sounded way too much like she was imitating Shirley Bassey. Plus, I kept waiting for the "Diamonds are Forever...DeBeers" promo at the end. Maybe that Sanjaya kid isn't the best singer, but it definitely looked like he was having fun out there.

HotCorner
03-22-2007, 03:06 PM
But my personal favorite was that Haley girl that went first. Sounded a little like Olivia Newton John and was very "jiggly." :evil:

Ah the power of Google ... :evil:

http://www.haley-scarnato.org/gallery/albums/t11p/20964.jpg

macro
03-22-2007, 08:12 PM
Hoping to extend her stay on the show by a couple of weeks, she played the sex card. I don't think she could have been more obvious about it.

savafan
03-23-2007, 03:45 PM
I wonder if Simon will remember her name now

Red Leader
03-23-2007, 03:49 PM
Hoping to extend her stay on the show by a couple of weeks, she played the sex card. I don't think she could have been more obvious about it.

..and she played it well, IMO. :evil:

BuckeyeRed27
03-28-2007, 03:30 PM
No Idol comments from last night yet? I guess I'll get the ball rolling.

I really liked Melinda, Blake and Phil actually.
I didn't think anyone was horrible except Sanjaya. He just gets harder to watch and it doesn't make it better when he gets his hair styled by the same person that does my neighbors poodles.

Dom Heffner
03-28-2007, 03:36 PM
How can I see what Dial Idol is predicting?

HotCorner
03-28-2007, 04:36 PM
How can I see what Dial Idol is predicting?

http://www.dialidol.com/asp/predictions/predictions.asp

BRM
03-28-2007, 04:54 PM
Sanjaya is predicted to be safe tonight.

Redsland
03-28-2007, 05:09 PM
And all of the 11-year-old girls and clinically insane hairdressers rejoiced!

HotCorner
03-28-2007, 05:30 PM

http://www.votefortheworst.com

BRM
03-28-2007, 05:30 PM

I have only heard him twice and it was a painful listen both times.

BRM
03-28-2007, 05:31 PM
http://www.votefortheworst.com

Is Sanjaya their guy this year?

Redsland
03-28-2007, 05:31 PM
Is Sanjaya their guy this year?
For at least the past three or four weeks. Prior to that, I can't say.

Ltlabner
03-28-2007, 05:32 PM

For the second post in a row: Stunning.

I wonder if the AI judges will try to prevent against the obvious vote trickery that is going on to prevent these hijinks in the future? And how in the world would they do that without preventing legtamate votes from being entered?

HotCorner
03-28-2007, 05:32 PM
For at least the past three or four weeks. Prior to that, I can't say.

I believe it was this thread's namesake: Antonella.

MWM
03-28-2007, 07:47 PM
Sanjaya hasn't had a single good performance. He's awful every week. the other people I don't care for at least aren't that bad. They're just not that great. Sanjaya is the second worse person who's ever been on the show.

ochre
03-28-2007, 08:12 PM
Sanjaya hasn't had a single good performance. He's awful every week. the other people I don't care for at least aren't that bad. They're just not that great. Sanjaya is the second worse person who's ever been on the show.
and yet, www.votefortheworst.com makes me proud to be an American. It's Lucas blowing the nightly till on craps... It's AJ gluing quarters on the floor... It's Mark naming his prospective band Marc... It's Debra doing early (hair) prepwork for Prison Break... It's Gina shagging Rex Manning on a copier while Joe thrashes on his drums... It's Warren Beatty... It's Berko being Corey's real life step dad while playing her contemporary co-worker.

It's what makes this country great!

Cedric
03-28-2007, 08:29 PM
I can't wait for Sanjaya to take home the prize.

Though I've never heard him sing. Vote for Sanjaya!

Ltlabner
03-30-2007, 09:00 AM
I wonder if Sanjaya is starting to think he can really, really sing? Or do you think he realizes it's all a joke? My guess is he has no idea, and he really thinks people love his voice.

Roy Tucker
03-30-2007, 09:27 AM
I actually think he's seeing how far he can push the ridiculousness. Like acting like an idiot with the Kinks song a couple weeks back, his hair the other night, and getting increasingly lippy back to Simon.

I think (or maybe hope is more like it) that he realizes he has gone long past where his singing talent should have taken him. He's playing by different rules than the rest of the singers. He pretty much can do whatever he wants and people will vote for him.

I haven't looked at any of the votes totals, but I'd guess his vote totals are actually going up.

Roy Tucker
03-30-2007, 10:08 AM
And I still think Chris Sligh looks that guy from The Turtles.

Sligh's star never recovered after making snotty comments to Simon a few weeks back. He went from funny clever to obnoxious and could never get it back.

klw
03-30-2007, 12:58 PM
I wonder if the AI judges will try to prevent against the obvious vote trickery that is going on to prevent these hijinks in the future? And how in the world would they do that without preventing legtamate votes from being entered?

They could have prevented the whole thing if they had not picked Sanjaya for the top 12 men and put him up for the vote. The judges can complain that he is not good enough but they put him through to Hollywood, then he survived a number of cuts with the judges before the viewer voters took over.

Dom Heffner
03-30-2007, 05:04 PM
It's the judge's fault, I agree.

They let some good talent go to meet the teenager quota.

It's talking out of both sides of their mouth for these guys.

That hot little teenager from Texas who forgot her words was ten times better than Sanjaya.

To have an unspoken rule where something as stupid as that- professional musicians forget the words during live concerts all the time- sets themselves up for worse people getting through. You don't put somebody less talented through because the better person forgot the words.

Anyhow, the show is a train wreck now, and it's one of the reasons I watch.

Sanjaya isn't going to win, but I'd say he could make it into the top 4.

macro
03-31-2007, 02:26 AM
The people responsible for Sanjaya being in the top 12 males were not Paula, Randy, and Simon, but rather Nigel Lythgoe, Simon Fuller, and the other producers. I'm not saying that the three judges don't have a say, but they're mainly just actors in the play.

Those scenes during Hollywood week when they lay out all the photos and make their choices are staged. The real decisions have already been made behind the scenes. And don't think that Lythgoe and company don't know what they're doing when they put people like Kellie Pickler, Kevin Covais, and Sanjaya Malakar in the Final 24. They correctly bet that they will make for good water cooler talk and keep the buzz about the show going.

It's unfortunate that they take what could be a really good show and compromise it, but they're smarter than I am, so I guess they're doing what will bring in the most viewers and get the most mentions on Entertainment Tonight. In the end, this is not really a talent competition, it's reality television, and it's no more real than Survivor or any of the other reality shows. I have reached a point this season where I no longer take it seriously.

There's a really good article at votefortheworst.com that describes what really goes on with the show, beginning with the cattle calls at the various cities and going all the way through Hollywood week. Someone has hijacked votefortheworst for the second time this week, so I can't link to it. But when they get back online, check it out. It's an eye-opener.

MWM
04-03-2007, 10:35 PM
I've just accepted the fact that Sanjaya isn't going anywhere, so with that in mind Haley needs to go. I'm not a big fan of Phil either, but Haley has become too much of a side show. She's attractive and all, but she's not all that hot and she annoys the hell out of me. And she ruined of my all time favorite songs tonight. I love the song Ain't Misbehavin' and have seen it performed numerous times and she butchered it from start to finish.

HotCorner
04-03-2007, 11:03 PM
Haley's been in desperate mode for the past three weeks so she's using what she was born with (and I don't mean her singing ability) to help get votes. Although I have to admit I did liked her dress tonight. :evil:

sonny
04-04-2007, 10:04 AM
Sanjaya reminds me of that little geeky dude from last season that looked liked frog. What was his name?

In any event, he made it pretty far but it was a national joke

macro
04-04-2007, 11:33 AM
Sanjaya reminds me of that little geeky dude from last season that looked liked frog. What was his name?

In any event, he made it pretty far but it was a national joke

That was Kevin Covais, and yes, he was Sanjaya before Sanjaya was Sanjaya. There will be a Sanjaya next year, as well. You can count on it.

http://static.flickr.com/44/116608776_6f7b8db28f_o.jpg

macro
04-04-2007, 11:55 PM
Anybody else suprised that Gina Glocksen got sent home this early? I am, but am not at all disappointed by it. She just wasn't very likeable, and apparently I wasn't alone in that sentiment.

Roy Tucker
04-05-2007, 09:18 AM
I was a little surprised too. I thought she was better than Haley and Phil and she had gotten mostly good comments from the judges. I figured she would hang around for 1-2 more weeks.

I thought for sure Haley was gone (and from her facial expressions, she thought so too). After Phil and Haley are gone, it's going to get tough as to who goes next.

I'm starting to wonder how long Sanjaya is going to last on this show.

Ltlabner
04-05-2007, 04:17 PM
Anybody else suprised that Gina Glocksen got sent home this early? I am, but am not at all disappointed by it. She just wasn't very likeable, and apparently I wasn't alone in that sentiment.

I was very suprised that Gina got sent packing. I wasn't a big fan or anything, however, I thought she was doing better than Phil and definaltey better than Haley. She's horrable and is just relying on sex appeal to get by. Not that Gina is any great shakes but she's better than Haley.

Mangiana, uh...I mean Sanyjia. Well. The travisty continues. I really want to know if he thinks people really dig his singing or if he understands it's all a big joke.

Dom Heffner
04-05-2007, 04:44 PM
The way the voting is, I'm not surprised at all. People aren't voting for who they want to see eliminated, they vote for who they want to stay, and you can vote as many times as you like. With this method, it's a crap shoot.

LawFive
04-05-2007, 07:46 PM
Every year, there's someone who sticks longer than they should. Usually they're voted off once the group gets down to 5 or 6 (see Pickler, Covais, some red head from 3 years ago). Hopefully he'll be gone soon.

marcshoe
04-05-2007, 09:10 PM
This could be different. Sanjaya's bringing a new audience to the show; people who usually quit watching after the audition show, when the train wrecks leave. He has an iconoclastic appeal Mr. Covais only dreamed of.

RANDY IN INDY
04-06-2007, 09:03 AM
My wife watches the show and had me come in and look at that wild hairstyle last week. Personally, I didn't think he could sing a lick, and he acts like a little punk, but punks seem to have some appeal these days.

RedsBaron
04-07-2007, 08:58 AM
Sanjaya is a joke. My wife watches the show and has had me watch parts of it. Man, Antonella should still be on the show if Sanjaya is still there.
I don't know the names of all the contestants, but to me the best performer is easily Melinda.

MWM
04-11-2007, 09:20 AM
Good lord, Hailey was awful last night. It was tough to watch. It was REALLY REALLY bad. And her choice of wardrobe now is so transparent. It's the first time that I didn't think Sanjaya was the worst one.

Last night's theme was a bad idea. Everyone looked completely uncomfortable except Blake. He's the only one that gave a decent performance. Everyone else was pretty bad, IMO. But Hailey was the worst BY FAR.

HotCorner
04-11-2007, 09:36 AM
Good lord, Hailey was awful last night. It was tough to watch. It was REALLY REALLY bad. And her choice of wardrobe now is so transparent. It's the first time that I didn't think Sanjaya was the worst one.

Last night's theme was a bad idea. Everyone looked completely uncomfortable except Blake. He's the only one that gave a decent performance. Everyone else was pretty bad, IMO. But Hailey was the worst BY FAR.

I told my wife to wait for the week where Hailey will have a stripper pole installed on the stage. :D I wonder if votefortheworst.com will now support her seeing Sanjaya is relatively safe.

macro
04-11-2007, 11:40 AM
Good lord, Hailey was awful last night...And her choice of wardrobe now is so transparent.

:lol:

Transparent? Was that meant to be as funny as it was, given that her top was transparent (for those that didn't see it, yes, she had something else under part of it)?

I didn't see much of the show, but did see when she sang. The sound was down because someone stopped by for a visit, but I've got it recorded and hope to watch it before the show comes on tonight.

Roy Tucker
04-11-2007, 11:55 AM

Actually, I thought that Sanjaya wasn't half bad last night. Or maybe it was that Kool Aid I had for dinner. ;) That beardish growth was creepy though.

But yeah, I thought everyone except Blake was off their feed with the Latin thing. Blake is this year's Chris Daughtry in that he is able to interpret every song his way and make it fresh. I'm starting to think he'll be in the top 3, if not top 2, by the end of the season.

I'm getting a little tired of all the Melinda love. I almost think it's unfair. She's a professional and has been for years. All of her songs are so polished. The rest of the crew are amateurs.

Dom Heffner
04-11-2007, 12:42 PM
I'm getting a little tired of all the Melinda love. I almost think it's unfair. She's a professional and has been for years. All of her songs are so polished.

And I cannot stand the dumbfounded look she gets on her face every time a compliment comes her way.

"Wow. Really?"

smith288
04-11-2007, 04:00 PM
Thats how Paris was last year. Doolittle has no neck and it bothers me to look at her.

BuckeyeRed27
04-11-2007, 04:26 PM
I think Phil goes tonight and Haley next week.

After that I see it going Lakisha, Sanjaya, Jordin, Chris, Blake with Melinda winning it.

Matt700wlw
04-11-2007, 08:39 PM
She and her hot pictures may end up having a more successful career than the winner of this show....

But I don't watch it, so I have no idea.....

MWM
04-11-2007, 09:01 PM
She's not all that hot, IMO. She's trying too hard to be that person which is a turn off to me. She's attractive, but not all that hot.

marcshoe
04-12-2007, 12:25 AM
:lol:

Transparent? Was that meant to be as funny as it was, given that her top was transparent (for those that didn't see it, yes, she had something else under part of it)?

I didn't see much of the show, but did see when she sang. The sound was down because someone stopped by for a visit, but I've got it recorded and hope to watch it before the show comes on tonight.

If Hailey was wearing fewer clothes the worse she sang, she was overdressed this week. ;)

RANDY IN INDY
04-12-2007, 09:14 AM
That group, as a whole, just got a whole lot uglier.

Danny Serafini
04-12-2007, 10:10 AM
That was a pretty rough week, but I'm not going to put it all on the singers. Common sense tells you that doing Latin Week in a competition involving no Latin singers isn't going to work very well. That was a rotten idea.

jmcclain19
04-13-2007, 12:27 AM
That group, as a whole, just got a whole lot uglier.

http://www.haley-scarnato.org/gallery/albums/top8perf/normal_73856059.jpg

http://www.haley-scarnato.org/gallery/albums/top9/21626.jpg

http://www.haley-scarnato.org/gallery/albums/top10perfhq/21345.jpg

http://www.haley-scarnato.org/gallery/albums/t11p/20947.jpg

RedsBaron
04-13-2007, 08:04 AM
http://www.haley-scarnato.org/gallery/albums/top8perf/normal_73856059.jpg

http://www.haley-scarnato.org/gallery/albums/top9/21626.jpg

http://www.haley-scarnato.org/gallery/albums/t11p/20947.jpg

She wasn't that great of a singer, but, as Simon observed, she used what she had.;)

Red in Chicago
04-13-2007, 08:42 AM
And I cannot stand the dumbfounded look she gets on her face every time a compliment comes her way.

"Wow. Really?"

this is what i've been saying to everyone that will listen at work...she's so phoney with the "you really think i'm good" look on her face...i just want to smack her...

macro
04-13-2007, 11:08 AM
this is what i've been saying to everyone that will listen at work...she's so phoney with the "you really think i'm good" look on her face...i just want to smack her...

I think that, at first, she was truly surprised and humble. But now I sense that she knows she's good and that people like her, yet continues the "Aw, shucks!" role because that was part of her original appeal. It's not that much unlike Kellie Pickler's act, really, and the lack of sincerity is getting harder for her to disguise. Then again, so much of Idol is scripted drama that it would stand to reason, I guess.

Joseph
04-13-2007, 11:25 AM

So she's the 'hot one' and was voted off this week?

Roy Tucker
04-18-2007, 10:57 PM
Finally.

RedsBaron
04-18-2007, 11:04 PM
A good "American Idol" show. It featured Martina McBride and it ended with the departure of Sanjaya. It doesn't get much better than that.:beerme:

macro
04-19-2007, 12:08 AM
I really didn't think Sanjaya would last past next week. (I thought Lakisha would go home this week.) The people who were voting for the singers who were getting sent home, were serious about their votes. They weren't going to switch them over to Sanjaya and join the joke, they were going to give them to the other singers. Eventually, the "Sanjaya joke" votes were outnumbered by the serious votes that were getting concentrated among fewer singers.

Now that Lakisha has escaped by the skin of her teeth, she may get a second wind and hang in there a bit longer. It will depend on what the upcoming themes are, because she's pretty one-dimensional.

gm
04-21-2007, 01:59 PM
Next season, AI should alter the format and provide "neg vote" phone numbers to cancel out these "vote for the worst" jokers. That would take care of the Covais' and the Sanjayas' right quick

But perhaps controversy will continue to be more important to the producers than integrity?

Dom Heffner
04-21-2007, 02:13 PM
Next season, AI should alter the format and provide "neg vote" phone numbers to cancel out these "vote for the worst" jokers. That would take care of the Covais' and the Sanjayas' right quick

I've been thinking this for awhile. I hate it when the media says that so and so was "voted off."

That leads people to believe the public is partaking in a "Survivor" type vote where we vote for the worst person each week.

We vote for our favorites, which gives a completely different outcome than if you voted for the one you couldn't stand.

I don't think Idol should switch, because that sort of destroys the spirit of things, and I think this could be solved with the judges and producers putting through some better talent.

Sanjaya only really screwed one person, because had he been voted off when he should have been (week one) we still have to narrow the field by one each week.

P.S. I love visiting this thread just for the Haley photos.

MartyFan
04-21-2007, 03:55 PM
She wasn't that great of a singer, but, as Simon observed, she used what she had.;)

Haley reminded me of a young Kathie-Lee Gifford on the old Carnival Cruise commercials.

Yachtzee
04-21-2007, 04:07 PM
Haley reminded me of a young Kathie-Lee Gifford on the old Carnival Cruise commercials.

I was watching with my wife and we came to the same conclusion. With the right marketing, she could probably do as well as Ashley Simpson.

RedsBaron
04-28-2007, 07:46 AM
Last Wednesday night, as I finally checked into a Detroit hotel room after a long day, I turned on "American Idol" just in time to see the Elvis Presley-Celine Dion "duet." I was absolutely blown away by the technological ability to make it appear as if the two of them were on stage together singing "If I Can Dream." While I really prefer the song as Elvis originally did it solo in his 1968 "Comeback Special," from which his images were taken, it amazed me at how almost seamless the prodcuers were able to make of the illusion that he was on stage with Celine.

MWM
04-28-2007, 12:23 PM
My initial reaction to this week's show was that it was VERY self-serving. But htne I heard how much money they raised, so I changed my tune a little. I just hate the idea of "hey everyone, look what a compassionate person I am."

Roy Tucker
05-03-2007, 09:37 AM
So, it's Melinda, Blake, LaKisha, and Jordin.

About as classy as send-offs can be for Phil and Chris.

I didn't realize Bob Jovi songs were so hard to sing. Jon Bon Jovi is a pretty cool guy.

I'm thinking Melinda and Blake in the finals. But then I thought Carrie Underwood wouldn't make the top 10 and I liked Kurt Stilwell.

macro
05-03-2007, 10:44 AM
I've been thinking it will be Jordin and Blake in the finals for the past few weeks. Lakisha's last week will be next week.

joshnky
05-03-2007, 10:58 AM
Next week should be LaKisha going home which will make the following week very interesting. Blake, Melinda, and Jordin all seem pretty equal to me and any one of them would be a better choice than Taylor Hicks last year. In my opinion Melinda is by far the best singer but her consistency may be her downfall. By being consistently better than everyone else its been difficult for her to rise above herself and deliver a truly hallmark performance. Jordin and Blake will probably have better careers but they aren't quite in the same league vocally. I hope they're the bottom three because that will make for a very interesting final two weeks of the season much better than the final two weeks last year. Granted last year delivered the huge final four upset of Chris so maybe we'll see something similar next week.

IslandRed
05-03-2007, 12:38 PM
We vote for our favorites, which gives a completely different outcome than if you voted for the one you couldn't stand.

I don't think Idol should switch, because that sort of destroys the spirit of things, and I think this could be solved with the judges and producers putting through some better talent.

I agree completely. Voting against, instead of for, means that the top talent is unlikely to reach the endgame. If you want your guy/girl to survive, you'd go right after the ones that are better, right? You'd end up with the Sanjayas gone, true, but also the best singers and the polarizing ones (like Blake) would be gone, leaving the just-ok and least offensive performers.

But mainly, it's more of a parallel to how the music business actually works. You don't go to a record store and decide which CD you want the least. Buying music is a positive action. They don't care who you don't like; they want to know who you like enough to make you pick up the phone and vote.

reds1869
05-03-2007, 01:15 PM
You'd end up with the Sanjayas gone, true, but also the best singers and the polarizing ones (like Blake) would be gone, leaving the just-ok and least offensive performers.

Actually, that's pretty much how the music industry works. Non-offensive and status quo sell records and as a result are picked up. This is true in most, though not all, genres. There are a lot of creative--and very talented--performers who will never see a record deal.

IslandRed
05-03-2007, 07:18 PM
Actually, that's pretty much how the music industry works. Non-offensive and status quo sell records and as a result are picked up. This is true in most, though not all, genres. There are a lot of creative--and very talented--performers who will never see a record deal.

Well, you have a point, but that's more because of radio's influence. It's hard to sell a lot of records in the mass-appeal genres without getting radio airplay, and radio has the opposite approach -- instead of a positive approach ("buy this record!") it's more of a negative approach ("don't touch that dial!"). The relationship between record labels and radio is simultaneously chummy and adversarial.

Ltlabner
05-03-2007, 07:32 PM
What CE said, my wife's grandmother also adds every now and then that people should only wear sensible white underwear, because you never know when you will be in an accident. I thought she was crazy until about a week later there was a car crash and they had a picture of one of the victims being transported on a gurney, and HE had a testicle visable behind what looked like women's black thong underwear, this was on the front page of a small time newspaper. It was a local scandal that the newspaper printed this.

How in the world did I miss this post from page 1? :confused:

macro
05-04-2007, 01:45 AM
How in the world did I miss this post from page 1? :confused:

You've got to read more carefully! This board is full of useful information that you can't afford to miss! :laugh:

vaticanplum
07-25-2007, 08:53 PM
Ok, I don't watch American Idol, but my friend sent me this from the British version and I practically had to wipe myself off the floor.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1k08yxu57NA

I'm told that he won!

paintmered
07-25-2007, 09:54 PM
Ok, I don't watch American Idol, but my friend sent me this from the British version and I practically had to wipe myself off the floor.

I'm told that he won!

It's their version of "America's Got Talent".

He's got talent. He's got British teeth. He's also got a Sony UK Records contract and a CD to be released soon.

Edit: his CD was released on the 16th and is available for purchase on Amazon.com

Dom Heffner
07-25-2007, 10:30 PM
Like the hot judge, I got goose pimples.

As disgusted as I get with life sometimes, there are some things truly worth seeing. What a great moment.

Redhook
07-25-2007, 10:56 PM

I'm told that he won!

Thanks!

That was really cool to see. Fantastic voice!

MrCinatit
07-26-2007, 08:36 AM
For some reason, I kept waiting for a punchline of some sorts...but I am very glad there was not.
What was cool was watching Simon's reaction, which went from "Yeah, whatever" when he they guy say he was going to sing opera to a "Woah! Where in the crap did THAT come from!" as the performance unfolded.
Great stuff.

RFS62
07-26-2007, 09:06 AM
That was a beautiful thing.

Thanks, VP, for finding that.

gonelong
07-26-2007, 11:48 PM

I'm told that he won!

I couldn't stop at that one ... I watched 5 or 6 of his performances ... 'bout brought a tear to my eye. Brilliant.

GL

Tommyjohn25
07-27-2007, 12:58 AM
I've watched those clips about four times each now. His talent is nothing short of staggering, it left me inexplicably moved.

Razor Shines
07-27-2007, 03:51 AM
Wow that was amazing. And it's a good thing there's an "s" on the end of his name other wise he might get confused with, well you know.

MrCinatit
07-27-2007, 10:30 AM
OK, time from a couple of questions from a guy who is a closet opera fan - but knows nothing.
What is the song he sings in semi-final? (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jp0s1BxtN4&mode=related&search=) Is it Anna Maria? EDIT: Never mind...looked it up. Con te Partiro. I remember Kenny singing that on an episode of South Park (sad when some of your operatic knowledge comes from a cartoon).
And what is the song he sings in the final (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_5W4t_CBzg&mode=related&search=)? EDIT: Never mind here as well. Nessum Dorma.
And screw it, I'm not afraid to admit is bought a lot of tears to my eyes on several different levels.

vaticanplum
07-27-2007, 11:46 AM
Nessun Dorma is from Turandot and a very beautiful aria...I think Pavarotti's version is the best-known. But Paul Potts is now right up there as far as I'm concerned!

GIK
07-27-2007, 06:49 PM
Wow. Thanks for posting this.