PDA

View Full Version : The Black Donnelly's

Red Leader
02-27-2007, 09:15 AM
This program made it's debut last night after Heroes. It was completely awesome. I loved it. It may be my new favorite show. It does have a lot of violence in it, so if you don't like that kind of stuff this show may not be for you, but if you are a fan of mob movies or the like, you will love this show. There is an encore presentation of the pilot episode this coming Thursday. If you missed the show last night and are thinking about watching the show in the future, I highly recommend watching Thursday or TiVo/DVR'ing the pilot.

Can't say enough about this show. I thought I'd like it, and figured it'd be well written since the same guy that wrote "Million Dollar Baby" and "Crash" is writing for this series, but it is absolutely tremendous.

beb30
02-27-2007, 09:39 AM
I really liked the show as well however it does take some time to get going. Its awful slow to start, but gets a lot better when the show comes to an end.

justincredible
02-27-2007, 09:48 AM
RL, with your avatar I figured you would point out the fact that it co-stars Smalls (far left).

http://msnbcmedia3.msn.com/j/msnbc/Sections/Newsweek/Components/Photos/070220_070226/070222_TVblackdonn_vl.widec.jpg

I agree with you, I thought the show was outstanding. The ending really cemented it as a show that I won't be able to miss from now on.

Puffy
02-27-2007, 09:53 AM
I already have too much on my plate Monday nights - Heroes, DVR 24. I'm just not sure I can find the time to add this show.

Red Leader
02-27-2007, 10:14 AM
RL, with your avatar I figured you would point out the fact that it co-stars Smalls (far left).

Indeed, it is Scotty Smalls from the Sandlot.

Smalls: Oh yeah, the Great Bambino. Of course! I thought you said the Great Bambi.
Ham Porter: That wimpy deer?
Smalls: Yeah, I guess. Sorry.

:thumbup:

Puffy - you have to DVR this series and find time to watch it some other night. You will love it. Trust me.

justincredible
02-27-2007, 10:24 AM
This show brings whole new meaning to the quote "You're killing me, Smalls!"

kbrake
02-27-2007, 10:28 AM
With The Sopranos finishing things up in the spring I need a new show. Is it that kind of mob show that it could fill my soon to be void?

Red Leader
02-27-2007, 10:33 AM
With The Sopranos finishing things up in the spring I need a new show. Is it that kind of mob show that it could fill my soon to be void?

Yes. If you like the Sopranos, the movie Bronx Tale, or any of those kinds of shows, you'll enjoy this. Make sure you catch the encore presentation of the pilot on Thursday, or at least DVR it, so you understand who the characters are. Not saying you'll be totally lost if you missed the pilot, but you'll be better off if you see it.

I'd say it's more like Bronx Tale than the Sopranos. Here is the description on the show:

The Black Donnellys follows the exploits of four young, working-class Irish brothers. Their involvement in organized crime in New York City will put their life at risk and they will do anything to protect each other from the hostility between them and the others New York families who want their territory.

gonelong
02-27-2007, 02:53 PM
Crap, I was hoping this show would get panned.

GL

/off to set the DVR for Thursday ...

BoydsOfSummer
02-27-2007, 07:18 PM
Excellent show! I was really hoping to not be disappointed and I wasn't. Anybody else catch the F-Bomb they dropped? When the Donnelly's are standing outside the store and these couple kids walk between them and into the store. They say something to the kid and he says " F Off". I had to rewind to make sure I heard it. Wasn't aware that was acceptable at 10p on NBC.

justincredible
02-27-2007, 08:17 PM
Was that the F-bomb? When he said it that's what I thought the kid said but I just assumed I heard it wrong and he said "shove off" or something. I was not aware that it was allowed on network television at any hour.

Puffy
02-28-2007, 10:08 AM
Was that the F-bomb? When he said it that's what I thought the kid said but I just assumed I heard it wrong and he said "shove off" or something. I was not aware that it was allowed on network television at any hour.

Its not - they'll claim it was missed and the FCC will fine them.

beb30
02-28-2007, 10:44 AM
They say something to the kid and he says " F Off". I had to rewind to make sure I heard it. Wasn't aware that was acceptable at 10p on NBC.

After careful review of the clip via NBC.com I have noted that the small kid says bug off :thumbup:

Razor Shines
03-02-2007, 12:26 AM
This program made it's debut last night after Heroes. It was completely awesome. I loved it. It may be my new favorite show. It does have a lot of violence in it, so if you don't like that kind of stuff this show may not be for you, but if you are a fan of mob movies or the like, you will love this show. There is an encore presentation of the pilot episode this coming Thursday. If you missed the show last night and are thinking about watching the show in the future, I highly recommend watching Thursday or TiVo/DVR'ing the pilot.

Can't say enough about this show. I thought I'd like it, and figured it'd be well written since the same guy that wrote "Million Dollar Baby" and "Crash" is writing for this series, but it is absolutely tremendous.

I'm really glad that you posted this, otherwise I wouldn't have watched it tonight. That was a great show. I thought I wasn't going to like it, but then the ending surprised me and I loved it.

cincy09
03-02-2007, 08:54 AM
the ending certainly sets up the show perfectly.........

It's nice to have a good "Irish" mob show

SunDeck
03-02-2007, 09:12 AM
Gee, a mob show. You can't get much more out of the box than that.

Red Leader
03-06-2007, 09:50 AM
Another strong show for The Black Donnelly's tonight. I really like the storyline this show is following. The plot is moving along effortlessly and it also leaves almost every possible option open for the show to make a turn.

I really like "Joey Ice Cream." He cracks me up.

gonelong
03-06-2007, 12:14 PM
Crap, I was hoping this show would get panned.

GL

/off to set the DVR for Thursday ...

The Mrs. and I liked the pilot so we have this on our DVR schedule. Probably watch #2 tonight.

This will be a good pickup in place of Heros for a few weeks.

GL

justincredible
03-06-2007, 12:46 PM
Another great episode last night.

Joey "Ice Cream" is hilarious.

"Did you pay for that beer?"

"Probably."

TeamCasey
03-07-2007, 12:00 PM
Loved it. Still get a little confused on who is who.

Redlegs82
03-07-2007, 12:26 PM
Not a bad show, but bring back Studio 60.

KronoRed
03-07-2007, 01:07 PM
Not a bad show, but bring back Studio 60.

With the ratings both are getting I doubt either will get another year.:(

Red Leader
03-07-2007, 01:12 PM
With the ratings both are getting I doubt either will get another year.:(

If the Black Donnelly's get the axe, there's a problem. There is no way this show should get the axe. It is wonderfully written, the characters are interesting, and the plot isn't too hard to follow.

If anything, the show should be picked up for an entire season and moved to a different time slot. Because of the graphic violence in the show, it should be kept in the 10-11 slot, I believe, but I'd much rather see it following Earl and The Office on Thursday nights instead of following Heroes on Mondays.

cincy09
03-07-2007, 02:44 PM
They shouldn't put up against CSI. It will never have great ratings in that spot.

Also, there is a bonus episode available at NBC.com it follows in line after episode 2, but before 3. I watched it yesterday and highly recommend it.

Red Leader
03-13-2007, 05:09 PM
I continue to absolutely love this series, but the ratings aren't doing too well at all for whatever reason. CSI-Miami is just owning that 10pm Monday night slot. Not good news for fans of this show as there is a good chance this show will get pulled from the network.

That sucks.

Razor Shines
03-14-2007, 06:04 PM
I continue to absolutely love this series, but the ratings aren't doing too well at all for whatever reason. CSI-Miami is just owning that 10pm Monday night slot. Not good news for fans of this show as there is a good chance this show will get pulled from the network.

That sucks.

I finally watched it last night, I thought it was great. I've been telling people to watch it and most of them have told me they love it, I just don't see it doing anything against CSI.

zombielady
03-16-2007, 12:59 PM
I found it too boring... And I like crime drama... you want good crime drama... you only have two decent options... CSI (Vegas) and The Wire...

Razor Shines
04-10-2007, 02:44 PM
Also canceled. NBC just canceled the two of the three shows I watch on their network.

The last two episodes of The Black Donnellys will be shown online only. NBC said they would consider bringing it back if enough people watch the online episodes. The show is also being considered at FX, USA and HBO.

Red Leader
04-10-2007, 02:48 PM
Also canceled. NBC just canceled the two of the three shows I watch on their network.

The last two episodes of The Black Donnellys will be shown online only. NBC said they would consider bringing it back if enough people watch the online episodes. The show is also being considered at FX, USA and HBO.

I hope HBO picks it up for the fall. It would make a nice replacement for the Sopranos and I believe the Black Donnellys would thrive on HBO where they wouldn't have to worry about the amount of violence, language, etc. as on network television.

Regardless, I hope someone picks it up. It's too good of a show not to get coverage somewhere. Good writing, good cast, good story.

Razor Shines
04-10-2007, 02:54 PM
I hope HBO picks it up for the fall. It would make a nice replacement for the Sopranos and I believe the Black Donnellys would thrive on HBO where they wouldn't have to worry about the amount of violence, language, etc. as on network television.

Regardless, I hope someone picks it up. It's too good of a show not to get coverage somewhere. Good writing, good cast, good story.

I think if Paul Haggis stays attached to it then it will get picked up. And I agree it would be great on HBO.

Puffy
04-10-2007, 03:03 PM
I'd like to be the first to say HBO should pick this show up.

Oh, wait, I'm not the first. Well, as the winner of the 2007 Masters Pool I would like to become the most important person on this board to say HBO should pick this up. Then they wouldn't have to worry about the language, the violence, etc and it would be an excellent replacement for The Sopranos.

Red Leader
04-10-2007, 03:13 PM
I'd like to be the first to say HBO should pick this show up.

Oh, wait, I'm not the first. Well, as the winner of the 2007 Masters Pool I would like to become the most important person on this board to say HBO should pick this up. Then they wouldn't have to worry about the language, the violence, etc and it would be an excellent replacement for The Sopranos.

and it'd be perfectly acceptable to show Olivia Wilde in a nude scene.

I can't believe you left that out, Puffy.

justincredible
04-10-2007, 03:26 PM
As good as this show is it has to be picked up by someone. I agree that HBO would be great as it wouldn't need to be censored as much as it is on NBC. FX wouldn't be that bad either and I'd actually be able to watch it without having my girlfriends parents DVR it so I could watch it when I make it to Cincinnati.

Puffy
04-10-2007, 03:36 PM
FX wouldn't be that bad either and I'd actually be able to watch it without having my girlfriends parents DVR it so I could watch it when I make it to Cincinnati.

Ohhhhhh, its all about you, eh??? Your ego is way too big Justin.

Now, lets get back to my ideas and what I think about all this....

justincredible
04-10-2007, 03:56 PM
Ohhhhhh, its all about you, eh??? Your ego is way too big Justin.

Now, lets get back to my ideas and what I think about all this....

:laugh:

KYRedsFan
04-10-2007, 06:38 PM
Loved this show, hated to see it cancelled. So f'n excited to see it replaced with The Real Wedding Crashers by Ashton Kutcher. I hate TV executives.

Rojo
04-13-2007, 02:53 PM
Honestly, I think NBC was right to pull the plug, it was pretty pedestrian.

cincy09
04-13-2007, 05:55 PM
Reality shows suck and NBC sucks for pulling a great show before it even has a chance to pick up an audience.