PDA

View Full Version : Hamilton:Is this the way we keep him in the minors?

paulrichjr
02-27-2007, 10:19 AM
http://frontier.cincinnati.com/blogs/redsinsider/default.asp

Update: Thanks to reader Cow Town, who sent in a clarification. We can't publish the comment because it part it was from Baseball America's site. But it pointed that Josh Hamilton can declare free agency if clears waivers and is offered back to the Rays because he's been placed on waivers once.

Is this the way we keep Hamilton? Don't know all the rules but it seems to me that we could try to send him down but have a deal with him to sign as a free agent.

Does anyone know the rules on this?

redsmetz
02-27-2007, 10:43 AM
First we offer him back, if Tampa Bay declines, then he's free to be with us (I'm not certain about whether he's free agent at that point). Tampa Bay has indicated they'd take him back in a heartbeat (and I'm not certain working a trade will be as simple as PTBNL for Harris, but we'll see).

It's also unlikely that he would clear waivers if that's required, should Tampa Bay decline taking him back. I think we get the first shot if they decline anyway and we wouldn't not keep him.

Heath
02-27-2007, 11:24 AM
Tampa Bay is salivating at getting him back. See Marc's blog for that.

Once the Reds expose him, he's done in a Redleg uni.

Chip R
02-27-2007, 11:38 AM
From what I've heard, TB is ticked at the Reds over that Livingston situation where they had a pre-arranged deal with Philly to take him and the Reds busted them on it. I'd imagine if the Rays work out a trade with the Reds for Hamilton, it's going to cost the Reds.

paulrichjr
02-27-2007, 12:16 PM
My question is the part about him "declaring himself a free agent." I seem to to remember this happening to someone before and this article seems to suggest that Tampa Bay might not have any power over him if he declares himself a free agent.

Caveat Emperor
02-27-2007, 01:38 PM
As long as he can play above-average outfield defense, he'll have value to the team as Dunn & Griffey's late-inning replacement.

I'd say it's a virtual certainty that Hamilton makes the team this season. Hopefully its at the expense of the 12th pitcher. Given his arm in the outfield, Hamilton would probably have a better chance to retire batters from the mound than that 7th guy out of the 'pen anyway.

JaxRed
02-27-2007, 01:49 PM
It's the clear waivers part...... it won't happen.

15fan
02-27-2007, 05:49 PM
I'd imagine if the Rays work out a trade with the Reds for Hamilton, it's going to cost the Reds.

On the contrary...sounds like the Rays really want Hamilton back. So put 'em over a barrell.

The Rays can have Hamilton back for any player in their minor league system as long as they take Eric Milton, too.

Otherwise, let's just hold on to Hamilton for a while.

princeton
02-27-2007, 06:08 PM
Reds and Rays = starving dogs

Hamilton = contents of dumpster

buckeyenut
02-27-2007, 10:07 PM
On the contrary...sounds like the Rays really want Hamilton back. So put 'em over a barrell.

The Rays can have Hamilton back for any player in their minor league system as long as they take Eric Milton, too.

Otherwise, let's just hold on to Hamilton for a while.

Actually, that is an interesting idea. They have a longjam at OF at ML level and could send Hamilton to minors. They also have some guys that really are not highly thought of due to attitude.

Wonder if they might be open to a discussion about Hamilton plus some other stuff for Elijah Dukes or Baldelli or Crawford, whichever one they want to move?

Aronchis
02-28-2007, 12:01 AM

lol, fluff in fluff out. The "fetish" with Hamilton has become disturbing. News at 10 Rob.

Caveat Emperor
02-28-2007, 01:10 AM

Hamilton is a powerball ticket.

Slimest of slim chances that he's worth a billion dollars, but more than likely you've just wasted the money you spent to buy it.

The odds never stop people from being excited though.