Encarnacion 3B
Hatteberg DH
Valentin C
Bellhorn 2B
Votto 1B
Crosby RF
Janish SS
Bailey SP

Side note, this better just be becuase its a game in spring training....but sadly I can see Jerry Narron sticking a guy with a career .292 on base percentage in the #2 spot in the line up simply because he plays SS.

Red Leader
02-28-2007, 09:12 AM
Side note, this better just be becuase its a game in spring training....but sadly I can see Jerry Narron sticking a guy with a career .292 on base percentage in the #2 spot in the line up simply because he plays SS.

Well, Gonzalez does play a MI position. And MI's are typically quicker and "speedier" than most, and you do want speed at the top of your lineup.

:mooner:

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I wouldn't be suprised to see Gonzalez in the 2 spot on Opening Day, but like you, I'll wait and give Jerry the benefit of the doubt.

IamWallaman
02-28-2007, 09:12 AM
I got team Bucky: 3-2 :)

RANDY IN INDY
02-28-2007, 09:14 AM
And it starts. No better time to start questioning the lineups than the first intrasquad game. :laugh:

Red Leader
02-28-2007, 09:18 AM
And it starts. No better time to start questioning the lineups than the first intrasquad game. :laugh:

Hey it's spring training. Just like the team and Marty, us fans need to work ourselves into "game shape" by Opening Day as well. :laugh:

redsfan30
02-28-2007, 09:24 AM
I can't imagine that Gonzalez will hit in the two spot come April 2nd with Freel and Phillips in the lineup, but you never know.

Falls City Beer
02-28-2007, 09:26 AM
Future redsupport Hall of Famer Paul Janish at short for Team Bucky.

dougdirt
02-28-2007, 09:27 AM

Gotta start somewhere....why not from day 1?

RFS62
02-28-2007, 09:28 AM

Hey it's spring training. Just like the team and Marty, us fans need to work ourselves into "game shape" by Opening Day as well. :laugh:

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

We'll be in mid-season form in no time.

westofyou
02-28-2007, 09:54 AM

Some of you kids would have never made it out of the 70's or 80's, you would have moaned yourself to death.

redsmetz
02-28-2007, 09:55 AM

Photo from Reds Zone Spring Training - zoners preparing for an amiable discussion on the boards.

http://www.fotosearch.com/comp/ISH/ISH135/42-15515841.jpg

BRM
02-28-2007, 10:01 AM
I really, really want to see Votto and Denorfia have monster springs. Make the decisions very tough.

MississippiRed
02-28-2007, 10:01 AM

I laughed when I saw this, because I was thinking the same thing. You have to admit, though, Narron brings some of this on himself.

BRM
02-28-2007, 10:02 AM
The lineups will always be an easy target.

texasdave
02-28-2007, 10:12 AM
I wonder if Homer goes up under Adam's chin at about 95 mph? Those Texas boys think that kinda stuff is always good for a laugh.

David Cubbedge
02-28-2007, 10:19 AM
Anyone know what time this game starts? And any way to follow it?

Joseph
02-28-2007, 10:22 AM
Team Nappy wins 5-4, thats my prediction.

Edd Roush
02-28-2007, 10:26 AM
Is it bad that I am cheering against Conine? I would really hate to see Conine be the reason Krivsky trades off Denorfia for half of his value at the end of spring training.

However, I am very happy that Conine is at first base rather than right field. But, I would really like to Jerry's rationale of batting Votto behind Valentin and Bellhorn.

redsfan30
02-28-2007, 10:26 AM
Anyone know what time this game starts? And any way to follow it?

12 noon, and probably the best way to follow it will be here.

David Cubbedge
02-28-2007, 10:50 AM
12 noon, and probably the best way to follow it will be here.

Thanks bro. I take it you guys will have a way to figure a PBP?

dougdirt
02-28-2007, 10:55 AM
Some of you kids would have never made it out of the 70's or 80's, you would have moaned yourself to death.

Well considering I wasnt born until 1984, I didnt have to deal with the 70s (although in this city I am sure it wasnt something to deal with, but more something to enjoy), and the 80s, well I only remember about 2 years worth of them....

westofyou
02-28-2007, 11:10 AM
Well considering I wasnt born until 1984, I didnt have to deal with the 70s (although in this city I am sure it wasnt something to deal with, but more something to enjoy), and the 80s, well I only remember about 2 years worth of them....

1984 eh? Good year.... the wonders of watching the A's and Giants up close..

Pete Rose batted his second slot player in 1987 to the tune of .236/.304/.367

Most of the at bats were by Larkin and Stillwell, proving that the SS in the #2 slot theory is as old as the sun and moon... and apparently you too. :laugh:

ncman31
02-28-2007, 11:10 AM
Hamilton CF
:beerme: :beerme:

smith288
02-28-2007, 11:35 AM
Go Reds!

Wyatt Earp
02-28-2007, 12:02 PM
what time does the game start?

BRM
02-28-2007, 12:04 PM
what time does the game start?

Should be going now. I think it was scheduled to start at noon eastern.

Danny Serafini
02-28-2007, 12:04 PM
Now.

danken12
02-28-2007, 12:06 PM
Hey, the best thing about today is that the reds can't lose.....I hope

klw
02-28-2007, 12:17 PM
http://frontier.cincinnati.com/blogs/spring/

Wednesday, February 28, 2007
1st inning

Having some technical difficulties, so using my blackberry

Top wst, denorfia single, stranded

Bottom of the 1st, homer pitching

Phillips grounds out to ss on first pitch

Gonzalez takes a fastball for a strike and hits a bloop single to right

Dunn works the count full and walks

Conine, on. 1-1 count grounds into. 6-4-3
Labels: Homer

edabbs44
02-28-2007, 12:18 PM
http://frontier.cincinnati.com/blogs/spring/

Wednesday, February 28, 2007
1st inning

Having some technical difficulties, so using my blackberry

Top wst, denorfia single, stranded

Bottom of the 1st, homer pitching

Phillips grounds out to ss on first pitch

Gonzalez takes a fastball for a strike and hits a bloop single to right

Dunn works the count full and walks

Conine, on. 1-1 count grounds into. 6-4-3
Labels: Homer

I have a feeling that Conine is going to be the most frustrating player on this roster.

BRM
02-28-2007, 12:20 PM
I have a feeling that Conine is going to be the most frustrating player on this roster.

He'll likely be the whipping boy around here, that's for sure.

M2
02-28-2007, 12:23 PM
I know it's just a ST scrimmage, but any hope I had of Denorfia getting a shot in CF has been dashed. Jr.'s not playing and Deno still can't get a CF start in an intrasquad game. It was always more hope than possibility and it's probably better to discard such things now that players are in camp, but I really did have my fingers crossed.

Red Leader
02-28-2007, 12:23 PM
He'll likely be the whipping boy around here, that's for sure.

He's Rich Aurilia only truly not good.

edabbs44
02-28-2007, 12:28 PM
I know it's just a ST scrimmage, but any hope I had of Denorfia getting a shot in CF has been dashed. Jr.'s not playing and Deno still can't get a CF start in an intrasquad game. It was always more hope than possibility and it's probably better to discard such things now that players are in camp, but I really did have my fingers crossed.

I felt the same way. The only way Hamilton is not going to be on this roster is if he gets caught in The Carter with Pookie.

My prediction is that Deno will end up getting traded during ST. Hopefully for a useful part.

BRM
02-28-2007, 12:29 PM

My guess is that Freel and Hamilton will get the bulk of the CF starts when Junior isn't out there. With Freel likely getting most of them.

BRM
02-28-2007, 12:38 PM
Per Trent:

- Dumatrait replaced Bailey

- Hamilton walks, then gets thrown out stealing by Javy

- In the bottom of the 2nd now

BRM
02-28-2007, 12:43 PM
LINK (http://frontier.cincinnati.com/blogs/spring/)

Homer looked fine. Nothing too exciting

Just had one heck of a defensive inning -- Janish up the middle, Gonzalez goes and makes a nice, easy play. Then Freel hit one to third, nice pick up by Castro onto first. Then Denorfia was robbed by two people -- Brandon Phillips and the 1st base umpire. Ball up the middle, Phillips barehands it, then throws off-balance to first for the out. Denorfia beat the play, but the ump didn't see it that way. The rest of us did, but it may have been too good of an effort to not go rewarded.

The bad day for Denorfia just got worse. Here in the bottom of the third against Jared Burton, Chris Dickerson hit a liner to left and Denorfia misjudged the ball and let it go behind him. Dickerson flew around the bases, showing he may be the fastest guy in camp. Three-base error by Denorfia.

Phillips just hit a liner to center, Dickerson scores, but steps on Javy's foot and looks like he may have sprained his ankle. He limped into the dugout. Don't expect to see him again today. That's not good for Dickerson. 1-0 Ed's Reds.

Burton, the other Rule 5 guy, throws pretty hard and just had a nice curveball for a strike on Gonzalez.

dougdirt
02-28-2007, 12:51 PM
So that clinches it, Denorfia now misses the roster becuase he cant play defense.

edabbs44
02-28-2007, 12:53 PM
The bad day for Denorfia just got worse. Here in the bottom of the third against Jared Burton, Chris Dickerson hit a liner to left and Denorfia misjudged the ball and let it go behind him. Dickerson flew around the bases, showing he may be the fastest guy in camp. Three-base error by Denorfia.

Nice knowing you Deno...here's a map that might help you this spring.

http://www.world-guides.com/images/louisville/louisville_map_city.jpg

LincolnparkRed
02-28-2007, 12:58 PM
Nice knowing you Deno...here's a map that might help you this spring.

http://www.world-guides.com/images/louisville/louisville_map_city.jpg

I have a feeling he maybe better than Zagat with all the time he has spent down there.

guttle11
02-28-2007, 01:09 PM
I see we're in mid-season form. Denorfia is already going to be screwed out of a spot because of what happened in an intra-squad game.

He's got 20+ more games to show what he's got.

Danny Serafini
02-28-2007, 01:13 PM
Yeah, nice to see no one's overreacting or anything.

LincolnparkRed
02-28-2007, 01:16 PM
Yeah, nice to see no one's overreacting or anything.

You have been here before right?? Overreacting is one of the staples of Redszone, like WOY finding obscure facts or the gang of 10. Overreacting is how we roll

westofyou
02-28-2007, 01:22 PM
You have been here before right?? Overreacting is one of the staples of Redszone, like WOY finding obscure facts or the gang of 10. Overreacting is how we roll

Yep if it was 100 years ago we'd all be sitting in Rooters Row and complaining how Miller Huggins never swung the bat and how under appreciated Bob Ewing was by the east coast press.

"Rooters' Row" on field level beneath the center fashion box was separated from the players only by a three-foot wooden wall and four feet of chicken wire rising above it. If you were a die hard fan, you sat in Rooters Row. This section was so close to the players, the fans could take part in on field conversations. To make things more interesting, Rooters Row was strategically placed by the bar.

http://www.laronsports.com/fall2002sale/cinnpc.jpg

klw
02-28-2007, 01:27 PM
http://www.laronsports.com/fall2002sale/cinnpc.jpg

Now that is a nice looking park design!

BRM
02-28-2007, 01:27 PM
A Homer Bailey update from Trent.

Homer reaction

Adam Dunn on Homer Bailey: "I'm on the bandwagon."

Dunn walked against Bailey and saw more pitches than anyone. He said he was surprised at how good Bailey's change-up was. Bailey threw two change-ups to Dunn.

Javier Valentin, who served as Bailey's catcher, said Homer showed "he belongs up here."

Lonnie tells me it finished 1-1. Headed back inside, will have more later.

cincy09
02-28-2007, 01:28 PM
Homer reaction

Dunn walked against Bailey and saw more pitches than anyone. He said he was surprised at how good Bailey's change-up was. Bailey threw two change-ups to Dunn.

Javier Valentin, who served as Bailey's catcher, said Homer showed "he belongs up here."

Danny Serafini

You'd think I'd have figured that out by now, wouldn't you? :laugh:

Danny Serafini
Latest from the blog:

Homer reaction

edabbs44
02-28-2007, 01:30 PM
I see we're in mid-season form. Denorfia is already going to be screwed out of a spot because of what happened in an intra-squad game.

He's got 20+ more games to show what he's got.

Talk about overreacting...this was of a prediction of how Narron will react. Denorfia misplayed a flyball last July and barely saw the field for a month and a half.

He is, for whatever reason, on a very short leash with Narron.

Hoosier Red
02-28-2007, 01:34 PM
So here's what we've learned from the Intra Squad.

All worries about Alex Gonzalez' bat are justified. Seriously what a Judy hitter only slapping the ball to right?

Adam Dunn can talk all he wants about his "re dedication" but if all he's going to do is walk, we might as well trade him. Fans don't go to watch you walk Adam.

Chris Denorfia is clearly not major league ready, first he can't beat out a throw from Phillips, then he can't play center field. Seriously what can he do?
Maybe if he can bunt we can bat him third.

And a 1-1 tie? Narron can't even make up his mind on who wins, fire him now before all we can do is kiss our sisters.

guttle11
02-28-2007, 01:34 PM
Talk about overreacting...this was of a prediction of how Narron will react. Denorfia misplayed a flyball last July and barely saw the field for a month and a half.

I must've forgotten the ;) , because I wasn't being serious.

KronoRed
02-28-2007, 01:36 PM
He's Rich Aurilia only truly not good.

I was thinking Tony Womack

Speaking of Womack, he had a great spring last year.

dougdirt
02-28-2007, 01:37 PM
So here's what we've learned from the Intra Squad.

All worries about Alex Gonzalez' bat are justified. Seriously what a Judy hitter only slapping the ball to right?

Adam Dunn can talk all he wants about his "re dedication" but if all he's going to do is walk, we might as well trade him. Fans don't go to watch you walk Adam.

Chris Denorfia is clearly not major league ready, first he can't beat out a throw from Phillips, then he can't play center field. Seriously what can he do?
Maybe if he can bunt we can bat him third.

And a 1-1 tie? Narron can't even make up his mind on who wins, fire him now before all we can do is kiss our sisters.

You forgot that Homer Bailey isnt ready for the bigs.... that wet noodle arm only lasted 1 inning!

pedro
02-28-2007, 01:38 PM

I don;t think Narron likes his Pizza.

cincy09
02-28-2007, 01:38 PM
Intrasquad update

SARASOTA, Fla. -- First off, I screwed up, Crosby misplayed Dickerson's ball, not Denorfia. And Lonnie screwed up when he told me the final score. It was 1-0, Ed's Reds won. Tom Shearn gets the win, Jared Burton the L.

Dickerson said he turned his ankle and thinks it's OK. He had it tested and they think it's just a sprain. However, as we were talking, his ankle just kept swelling. Yesterday he was really in the discussion about who was the fastest player on the team, and from home to third, he certainly looked like it.

Hamilton was 0-2 with a walk, strikeout and fly out. He was also caught stealing. Hamilton got an extra at-bat in the fifth, putting him in the ninth spot and that's when he flied out.

Line score
Russell's Muscles 0 0 0 0 0 0-3-1 (hits by Denorfia and two by Votto, including a double, error by Crosby)
Ed's Reds 0 0 1 0 0 1-3-0 (hits by Gonzalez, Castro and Moeller)

The one run was unearned.

Hoosier Red
02-28-2007, 01:39 PM
On the plus side Homer's BABIP is .333. Once that normalizes he'll be even better.

BRM
02-28-2007, 01:39 PM
Crosby misplayed Dickerson's ball, not Denorfia

And a loud cheer is heard on RedsZone. :)

BRM
02-28-2007, 01:40 PM
I just caught that Castro and Moeller each had a hit. Those guys can rake!!

blumj
02-28-2007, 01:41 PM
BTW, Mets-Tigers is working now on mlb.tv, in case anyone else just couldn't wait to see some live baseball.

Andrew Miller's warming up in the pen.

And Casey just caught a LD to rob David Wright.

westofyou
02-28-2007, 01:41 PM
BTW, Mets-Tigers is working now on mlb.tv, in case anyone else just couldn't wait to see some live baseball.

It's on the Mets sports channel too.

4-0 Tigers 2nd inning

OesterPoster
02-28-2007, 01:42 PM
Cool. So we just had a lengthy squabble over Denorfia's error that never was?

God love the internet.

:)

Tom Servo
02-28-2007, 01:44 PM
Crosby misplayed Dickerson's ball, not Denorfia

:jump:

edabbs44
02-28-2007, 01:46 PM
Crosby...one word for you.

http://www.tornadopromotions.com/images/luggage.jpg

LONG LIVE KING DENO!!!

Red Leader
02-28-2007, 01:47 PM
I bet Narron's the one that started the rumor about Deno misplaying the ball instead of Crosby. Or Marty.

redsfan30
02-28-2007, 01:47 PM
Aaah, a gamethread on Redszone!

God love it!

dougdirt
02-28-2007, 01:48 PM
Bright side, Joey Votto had 2 hits, including a double.

5DOLLAR-BLEACHERBUM
02-28-2007, 02:23 PM
I just caught that Castro and Moeller each had a hit. Those guys can rake!!
Yea this really shakes things up now doesn't it:laugh:

CTA513
02-28-2007, 03:52 PM
I saw this on John Fays blog:

Here's Rob Butcher's release on the game: The writers missed half of it, waiting to talk to Bailey and Arroyo:
Ed’s Reds beat Russell’s Muscles, 1-0, on an unearned run in this afternoon’s intrasquad scrimmage at Sarasota’s Ed Smith Stadium… the crowd of 894 generated $4,470 to be donated to the local chapter of the American Cancer Society...2B Brandon Phillips drove in the game’s only run with a sacrifice fly in the third inning off RHP Jared Burton…1B Joey Votto produced 2 of the game’s 6 hits, a double off RHP Kerry Ligtenberg and a single off LHP Jon Coutlangus…LF Chris Denorfia, SS Alex Gonzalez, C Chad Moeller (double) and 3B Juan Castro also had hits…pitchers for the Reds included starters RHP Bronson Arroyo (1ip, 1h) and RHP Homer Bailey (1ip, 1h, 1bb) along with Ligtenberg (1ip, 1h, 1k), RHP Tom Shearn (1ip), LHP Michael Gosling (1ip, 3k), Coutlangus (1ip, 1h), LHP Phil Dumatrait (1ip, 1h, 1bb, 1k), Burton (1ip, 1r, 0er), LHP Jason Kershner (1ip, 1h, 1k) and RHP Calvin Medlock (1ip)…LF Chris Dickerson left the game with a mild sprain of his right ankle, suffered when he stepped on C Javier Valentin’s foot while scoring the game’s only run…he will be re-evaluated tomorrow.

ncman31
02-28-2007, 04:02 PM
how did josh look

reds44
02-28-2007, 04:30 PM
how did josh look
0-2 with a walk. It's good to see a game thread, and the "real" spring training games start tomorrow.

I knew it was baseball season when people started complaining about the lineup. Hey, at least RA wasn't starting over Edwin at 3rd. :laugh:

reds44
02-28-2007, 04:44 PM
http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20070228&content_id=1819776&vkey=spt2007news&fext=.jsp&c_id=cin

SARASOTA, Fla. -- Homer Bailey didn't know why the Reds picked him and right-hander Bronson Arroyo to start in their intrasquad game here Wednesday. Bailey did have some thoughts about his selection, though.
"I think they just went in alphabetical order -- Arroyo then me," he said. "That's what I thought it was."

Bailey's comments drew laughter. Not that Bailey wasn't right, for it well could have been how the decision was made. His name does follow Arroyo's on an alphabetical listing of players at Reds camp.

But surely the Reds wanted to see Bailey, whom Baseball America ranks as the top prospect in the organization, perform in front of fans at Ed Smith Stadium, and they did. He left them impressed.

"He's so smooth it just seems like half of the pitch gets on you a lot quicker than it looks," said Adam Dunn, one of four hitters Bailey faced in his one-inning outing.

The 20-year-old Bailey didn't make a big to-do of his performance. While he admitted he tried to impress people, he also wanted to work on some things. In his case, that meant working on his offspeed pitches.

Nobody questions the high-octane fastball Bailey possesses, because it's the pitch that had long drawn raves from scouts. But to get to the big leagues, he'll need more than one pitch to survive, which is why he's been working on his offspeed stuff.

He did just that in his outing Wednesday.

"I think all my offspeed pitches were either hit or strikes," Bailey said. "It's something I worked on in the offseason.

"But I wasn't quite locating like I wanted to. I left a few of 'em up."

He didn't leave any of 'em up to Dunn.

"He threw me a good changeup," he said of Bailey. "I know that's not his pitch; he's working on it."

It's that pitch that will decide how quickly he goes from prospect to a Major Leaguer. But like any pitcher in the early days of Spring Training, Bailey is trying to find his groove. He's working on mechanics and location. His strength is there, and so is his fastball.

"But that doesn't mean I have to go out there and try to throw 97 every pitch," he said.

And he didn't try to do that either, which perhaps explains why his outing was as uneventful as it was: four hitters, one walk, no runs.

Not a bad box score for a pitcher fresh from the college ranks. His work performance showed people plenty, particularly Dunn.

"He looked good," Dunn said of Bailey. "I'm on the bandwagon."

Matt700wlw
02-28-2007, 04:54 PM
More Homer! More Homer! More Homer!

crazybob60
02-28-2007, 04:59 PM
....the crowd of 894 at Ed Smith Stadium....

I saw this number, and I have never been to a spring training game, is this the norm for a crowd to a Reds ST game or a rather low or high number? How would this type of crowd attendance differ to some of the other teams ST attendance? I would think that the Yankees would be much higher, but someone like the Devil Rays may not, but maybe lower....anyone have any answers to these many questions?

crazybob60
02-28-2007, 04:59 PM
More Homer! More Homer! More Homer!

You can say that again!!!!

dougdirt
02-28-2007, 06:08 PM
....the crowd of 894 at Ed Smith Stadium....

I saw this number, and I have never been to a spring training game, is this the norm for a crowd to a Reds ST game or a rather low or high number? How would this type of crowd attendance differ to some of the other teams ST attendance? I would think that the Yankees would be much higher, but someone like the Devil Rays may not, but maybe lower....anyone have any answers to these many questions?

You gotta remember, this was not a real game. It was just 5 innings long.

jmac
02-28-2007, 06:35 PM

True...and look at all the posts on this thread basically about an intrasquad game.
This is what I call......real fans.

I'm just glad baseball is back :beerme:

crazybob60
02-28-2007, 06:37 PM

Yes, true....I was just curious in general what the attendance would have been like and also if this game was just high or low for an attendance in general....sorry if my question was confusing...

vaticanplum
02-28-2007, 07:54 PM
SARASOTA, Fla. -- Homer Bailey didn't know why the Reds picked him and right-hander Bronson Arroyo to start in their intrasquad game here Wednesday. Bailey did have some thoughts about his selection, though.
"I think they just went in alphabetical order -- Arroyo then me," he said. "That's what I thought it was."

That is just adorable.

I truly fear that I'm going to fall for this kid. And I am too old for that crap, let me tell you.

SirFelixCat
02-28-2007, 08:45 PM
Awesome to have beisbol back :jump:

blumj
02-28-2007, 08:49 PM
That is just adorable.

I truly fear that I'm going to fall for this kid. And I am too old for that crap, let me tell you.
Liar.

OnBaseMachine
02-28-2007, 09:10 PM
Votto had two hits. Way to show em kid.

vaticanplum
02-28-2007, 09:11 PM
Liar.

Are you telling me it NEVER ENDS?! :runawaycr

blumj
02-28-2007, 09:21 PM
Are you telling me it NEVER ENDS?! :runawaycr
I know I'm a lot older than you, but not so old that I can confirm "never".

Handofdeath
02-28-2007, 09:30 PM
I wonder if Homer goes up under Adam's chin at about 95 mph? Those Texas boys think that kinda stuff is always good for a laugh.

I'll tell you what, I've never been much of a Roger Clemens fan but when I heard he brushed back his own son after the kid went yard on him I thought that was funny as hell. Probably didn't like the look on the kid's face after he jacked it.

DannyB
02-28-2007, 09:53 PM

I was born in the 50s and I only remember a couple of the 80s..............:devil:

DannyB
02-28-2007, 09:55 PM
Now we know for sure that we dont need to platoon Joey-He hit rightys as well as leftys

jbran1114
02-28-2007, 10:26 PM
I haven't been a member here long, but if the intrasquad scrimmage lineups are being bashed, I can't wait to see the regular season. Please tell me that everyone is active during the game. It will shame my idea of what negativity is. :laugh: