PDA

View Full Version : Reds' Denorfia doing what he can to make roster

Tom Servo
02-28-2007, 06:08 PM
Reds' Denorfia doing what he can to make roster
Outfielder works hard, knowing 2006 success guarantees nothing.

By Hal McCoy

Staff Writer

Wednesday, February 28, 2007

SARASOTA, Fla. Chris Denorfia's hopes are as high as his baseball pants, which he wears just below the knees with two legs full of red socks showing.

But he knows he is on the bubble, hoping it doesn't burst.

Cincinnati Reds manager Jerry Narron says four outfield positions are occupied by Ken Griffey Jr., Adam Dunn, Ryan Freel and Jeff Conine, and that at this moment, he leans toward keeping only five outfielders.

That leaves Denorfia to argue with Josh Hamilton, Norris Hopper, Bubba Crosby and a few other outsiders for that one spot.

Denorfia, who signed a one-year contract on Tuesday, realizes that the fact he hit .349 in 312 at-bats for Class AAA Louisville last season and he hit .283 in 106 at-bats for the Reds (.343 in September) carries about as much water as a thimble with a hole in it.

Narron loves Denorfia, but roster spots are limited.

"He is a very good defensive outfielder (named the best defensive outfielder in the International League by Baseball America) and he has shown he can hit in Triple-A," said Narron. "I hate to say one (outfielder) is better than another, but he has a chance to make the club with a chance to contribute.

"I love his makeup, and there isn't a lot about Chris Denorfia any of us don't like," Narron added. "He comes to play every day, always stays ready. He has to have some things fall in place for him to be a regular outfielder, but definitely somewhere down the line, if not here, he has a chance to be a good major-league player."

Denorfia is doing everything in his domain that he can, like buying a house in Sarasota and coming to the City of Sarasota Sports Complex five times a week since New Year's Day.

"For a while it was just me and Joey Votto coming here," he said.

And despite his success with the bat, he is working daily on changes to his swing with new hitting instructor Brook Jacoby.

"We have the new coaches putting their programs in, so when it is working, it is going great so far," said Denorfia. "I'm working on keeping my hands back so I don't shift my weight too far back."

As for his situation, he takes Narron's compliments in stride.

"There is a lot of competition, and I have to prove myself as a player every day," he said. "I have to do that to stick in the big leagues and to be successful. You can't tell what will happen, especially before the exhibition games start, so I'll work hard and keep an open mind."

Denorfia, 26, has spent four years in the minors and has played in 67 major-league games, but he isn't one who claims he has nothing more to prove in the minors.

"It's all about getting better, no matter where I play," he said. "It's all about working. I don't have any illusions that I'm as good as I'll ever be. I know I can get a lot better, so whether it's getting better here or in the minors, it isn't about proving (it to) myself."

http://www.daytondailynews.com/s/content/oh/story/sports/pro/reds/2007/02/27/ddn022807reds.html

The_jbh
02-28-2007, 06:18 PM
wow i hate that connine is going to make us send Hamilton back or Deno to AAA

Always Red
02-28-2007, 06:26 PM

I agree; that doesn't seem right. Conine's a part-time role player, a platooning 1B, who should not be here in 2008.

I think Denorfia's days here are numbered:

"He has to have some things fall in place for him to be a regular outfielder, but definitely somewhere down the line, if not here, he has a chance to be a good major-league player."

Strikes Out Looking
02-28-2007, 06:42 PM
Words cannot express my disgust with the fact that Deno is fighting to make the roster.

BRM
02-28-2007, 08:10 PM
Disgusting. Absolutely disgusting. Conine is actually being considered a reserve outfielder by Jerry Narron. Jerry has lost his freakin' mind. And the consequence of that idiotic decision likely puts Deno in AAA or out of the Reds organization.

jimbo
02-28-2007, 08:20 PM
It looks like I am in the miniority. I'm not sure what Denorfia has shown in the majors that should give him a free pass to make the major league roster out of spring training. I like him as much as anyone, but I still have my doubts as to what kind of player he can be. I don't think he should be given a pass, it'll be better for him in the long run to have to compete for a spot.

vaticanplum
02-28-2007, 08:38 PM
It's funny...the writer throws out that tidbit about Conine (attributed to Narron) at the beginning, but most of Narron's comments afterward seem to favor Denorfia. If that one comment hadn't been at the beginning, I'd come away from this article thinking that Denorfia is a favorite of Narron and stands to make the team the minute he proves himself. As it is, I'm left scratching my head.

Sports journalism confuses me anymore. Most of it seems to be geared to appeal to a certain audience, like entertainment magazines, rather than really putting out as many facts about any given situation as possible. But I don't really understand that philosophy, since the audience for whom they're writing (sports fans) is really one that is conditioned to want the facts above all else. I ALWAYS feel like I don't really know what's going with the Reds, and it's only through obsessive reading and nitpicking that I'm able to form my own opinions. That could also just be what the evasive front offices are giving the journalists.

Ltlabner
02-28-2007, 08:41 PM
"I love his makeup, and there isn't a lot about Chris Denorfia any of us don't like," Narron added. "He comes to play every day, always stays ready. He has to have some things fall in place for him to be a regular outfielder, but definitely somewhere down the line, if not here, he has a chance to be a good major-league player."

It would be interesting to know what Jerry feels needs to fall into place for Deno to be a regular outfielder.

oneupper
02-28-2007, 08:43 PM
It would be interesting to know what Jerry feels needs to fall into place for Deno to be a regular outfielder.

That the REDS get a new manager.

Jaycint
02-28-2007, 08:45 PM
Conine's a part-time role player, a platooning 1B, who should not be here in 2008.

Or 2007 for that matter, but I guess that's neither here nor there...

sigh...

Eric_Davis
02-28-2007, 09:12 PM
Words cannot express my disgust with the fact that Deno is fighting to make the roster.

Agreed. Managers can be so dumb sometimes.

Nugget
02-28-2007, 09:14 PM
I pretty sure this was said last year but do the REDS feel that Deno is an everyday player and should be somewhere he can play everyday be it at the REDS or the BATS. It was debated last year and everyone had their say. Just taking that as the premise and then considering whether the REDS feel that they can carry both Freel and Deno as everyday players. That may be one of the things that has to fall into place. Deno hits for good average and is speedy on the bases so if they can push Freel into the super utility role does that give the chance for Deno to play?

GAC
02-28-2007, 09:18 PM

It's that veteran presence "ghost" that keeps haunting us. ;)

I'm a Deno supporter. The kid is far superior from a defensive perspective then a Conine. And if we are concerned about improving our defense (as Krivsky states) the go with da kid! Conine, if anything, should be in a platoon with Hatteberg at 1B... Period!

Give the kid his shot. If he falters, then you have a (gulp) Conine in the wings (bench).

redsfan30
02-28-2007, 09:23 PM
It looks like I am in the miniority. I'm not sure what Denorfia has shown in the majors that should give him a free pass to make the major league roster out of spring training. I like him as much as anyone, but I still have my doubts as to what kind of player he can be. I don't think he should be given a pass, it'll be better for him in the long run to have to compete for a spot.

I agree. Denorfia's a fine player, but I've never understood the man-love most seem to have for him around here.

WMR
02-28-2007, 09:24 PM
Maybe Deno can find Marty McFly's Delorean and shoot himself ahead about 13 years, that might do the trick.

dougdirt
02-28-2007, 10:45 PM
I agree. Denorfia's a fine player, but I've never understood the man-love most seem to have for him around here.

Well, I think its just the fact that he is probably one of the 3 best outfielders we have. He is Ryan Freel with better defense, more power, a slightly better bat, the ability to stay healthy through a season of playing every day and without the stolen bases.

BRM
02-28-2007, 10:45 PM

I wouldn't call rooting for the best defensive outfielder on the roster to get a spot man-love. I'd call that hoping your manager puts the best 8 on the field on a regular basis.

edabbs44
02-28-2007, 11:17 PM
I guess Jr doesn't think that the best defensive OF in AAA can hold his jock in CF. I'd love to see who Jr thinks is better than him defensively.

Shaggy Sanchez
02-28-2007, 11:31 PM
I guess Jr doesn't think that the best defensive OF in AAA can hold his jock in CF. I'd love to see who Jr thinks is better than him defensively.

I don't see what this has to do with Griffey. It seems to me that the reds FO and Narron don't think that Deno is good enough to be the RFer let alone take CF away from JR. If Deno was being talked about as the guy Krivsky wanted Griffey to move for and Griffey said no than I can see your point. At the moment the Reds don't seem to think the best defensive OF in AAA can hold Conine's jock.

edabbs44
02-28-2007, 11:53 PM
I don't see what this has to do with Griffey. It seems to me that the reds FO and Narron don't think that Deno is good enough to be the RFer let alone take CF away from JR. If Deno was being talked about as the guy Krivsky wanted Griffey to move for and Griffey said no than I can see your point. At the moment the Reds don't seem to think the best defensive OF in AAA can hold Conine's jock.

Before moving, Griffey wants to be certain somebody better can play center field, the position Griffey has played since signing his first major-league contract in 1987.

Why should Griffey have any legitimate say in the matter?

http://www.daytondailynews.com/s/content/oh/story/sports/pro/reds/2007/01/16/ddn011707reds.html

Ron Madden
03-01-2007, 03:48 AM
. It seems to me that the reds FO and Narron don't think that Deno is good enough to be the RFer let alone take CF away from JR.

Yup, and that's the problem in a nutshell.

It's not like KGJ's bat will be taken out of the line up.

penantboundreds
03-01-2007, 07:37 PM
0-3 today.