PDA

View Full Version : Bullpen Spending

Ltlabner
02-28-2007, 07:35 PM
Article posted on BP by John Perrotto. I can't post the entire article but the gist of it is that despite the addage that you shouldn't spend lots of money on bullpen guys and you can find good arms anywhere for cheap, the Indians signed 4 guys with experience to realitivley big contracts over the offseason.

One interesting quote from manager Eric Wedge...

One of the lessons we learned is that you cant rely on too many young kids in the bullpen, Wedge said. You need guys you can count on from one outing to the next... In my opinion, the toughest thing for a club to go through is losing a series of games in the late innings. Its tough to swallow when you work hard for eight innings to get the lead and then see it slip away. When it happens over and over, it wears on you. Guys are human and sports are emotional. Its not like were making widgets at XYZ Company. Guys start wondering what is going to happen next.

Seems that Jerry isn't the only manager who puts a premium on exprience over youth.

Dracodave
02-28-2007, 07:42 PM
I slightly agree that you need exprience over rookie in tough situations.

However, you need experience thats actually good and not experience who can't keep the ball in the park.