PDA

View Full Version : Pop Drinkers

GAC
02-28-2007, 10:10 PM
What's your poison, and how much do you consume?

I'm not a pop (soda) drinker. I'll have a Pepsi on Friday nights, which is pizza night around here.

My oldest boy and myself are water drinkers. I have a 5 gallon water cooler in the kitchen, plus we have an RO system. I've pretty much cut all caffeine out of my diet, and for health reasons, and I feel better for doing so. As for my wife and other kids - if they ever stop drinking Pepsi products their stock will drop sharply.

Gainesville Red
02-28-2007, 10:14 PM
What's pop?

I drink a Dr. Pepper most mornings on my way to school. Then I drink water the rest of the day.

Beer at night.

UKFlounder
02-28-2007, 10:15 PM
I like Coke, but I'll generally drink several types, depending on what's available - Coke, Pepsi, Mountain Dew, Sprite, Sierra Mist, Surge. Even Big K Orange soda isn't bad.

This is probably my weakest point of my diet - if I could cut out the soft drinks, I'd be in much better shape.

I try to buy Crystal Lite, but it's more expensive than I like paying.

I just bought a Coke Zero to try again, but still don't like it much. I might try it again, 'cause that would cut out some calories.

A cold Coke, however, is still my preference, and a hard habit to break

justincredible
02-28-2007, 10:15 PM
I'm on a Diet Dr. Pepper kick at the moment. I try not to drink much of it, though.

Yachtzee
02-28-2007, 10:24 PM
If I drink pop, I usually stick to Dr. Pepper or his evil arch-nemesis, Mr. Pibb.

SunDeck
I drink diet 7up, but I believe Coke is the best cold medicine there is. And if there weren't something like 29 teaspoons of sugar in it, I'd drink a Coke at every meal.

KittyDuran
I gave up pop for Lent... :) but otherwise it's Sprite or any kind of root beer (something w/o caffeine). I trying very hard to give that up as well and try to drink more water or drink more tea.

Ltlabner
02-28-2007, 10:33 PM
Diet Pepsi.

A better question would be to ask, when am I not drinking soda.

bucksfan
02-28-2007, 10:33 PM
I don't keep it on hand as I'd drink it way too much, but Mountain Dew is still my choice when I sto pat a gas station on a road trip, etc.., with a nice cold Coke very close 2nd. A good red cream soda (Big Red) is 3rd.

justincredible
02-28-2007, 10:41 PM
If I drink pop, I usually stick to Dr. Pepper or his evil arch-nemesis, Mr. Pibb.

Mr. Pibb is a replica of Dr Pepper, but it's a bullcrap replica, 'cause dude didn't even get his degree. Why'd you have to drop out and start makin' pop so soon?
--Mitch Hedberg

StillFunkyB
02-28-2007, 10:50 PM
I like Coke, but I'll generally drink several types, depending on what's available - Coke, Pepsi, Mountain Dew, Sprite, Sierra Mist, Surge. Even Big K Orange soda isn't bad.

This is probably my weakest point of my diet - if I could cut out the soft drinks, I'd be in much better shape.

I try to buy Crystal Lite, but it's more expensive than I like paying.

I just bought a Coke Zero to try again, but still don't like it much. I might try it again, 'cause that would cut out some calories.

A cold Coke, however, is still my preference, and a hard habit to break

You might not want to mention Sierra Mist around Krono.

CTA513
02-28-2007, 10:52 PM
I drink Coke or Pepsi (and to much of it).

StillFunkyB
02-28-2007, 10:54 PM
Oh, and Pepsi is my choice for cola. I don't dislike Coke, but I prefer Pepsi. I also dislike the Coke monopoly at restaurants.

I used to drink Mountain Dew like it's going out of style.

I really need to cut way way back, but it's hard to do. Honestly, I would like to cut it out completely. Maybe one day.

guttle11
02-28-2007, 10:54 PM
Barq's root beer.

OldRightHander
02-28-2007, 10:57 PM
Coke is my preference, but I'm trying to cut down a bit on it. As it is now, I have 3 or 4 in a week.

Red in Chicago
02-28-2007, 11:03 PM
coca cola in a bottle is the ultimate, but i'm hooked on coke zero now...:beerme:

Degenerate39
02-28-2007, 11:06 PM
7-Up and Sprite

pedro
02-28-2007, 11:19 PM
I drink maybe 1 or 2 sodas a month, if that.

My favorites are Coke and then probably Root beer & Ginger Ale.

I really don't like sugar a whole lot though and the idea of artificial sweeteners is kind of creepy to me. I'd just rather not have it in my body.

pedro
02-28-2007, 11:20 PM
Mr. Pibb is a replica of Dr Pepper, but it's a bullcrap replica, 'cause dude didn't even get his degree. Why'd you have to drop out and start makin' pop so soon?
--Mitch Hedberg

Safeway grocery store's fake Dr Pepper is called "Mr. Skipper"

justincredible
02-28-2007, 11:34 PM
Safeway grocery store's fake Dr Pepper is called "Mr. Skipper"

Wal-mart's fake is called Dr. Thunder. It's actually not that bad for a cheap knock-off. I haven't had it for a few years but we used to drink it like crazy freshman year of college.

cincinnati chili
02-28-2007, 11:47 PM
too much. Every work day, I do 32 oz. of Diet Coke.

cue, medical experts telling me I'm going to die of cancer.

I hate coffee, and need to stay awake.

HumnHilghtFreel
03-01-2007, 12:06 AM
I've been a caffeine addict(seriously lol) since I was about 8. I've cut it out of my diet for about the last 2 weeks and I've been a lot more tired come nighttime, but I feel a lot better on the whole.

Yachtzee
03-01-2007, 12:13 AM
--Mitch Hedberg

:laugh: Thanks for the Mitch Hedberg chuckle.

I've notice that the lesser knockoffs all go by Dr. or Mr. something too. No "Major Pepper" or "Joe Pibb, Esq."

BoxingRed
03-01-2007, 12:14 AM
A little Coke trivia for you:
Coke Zero is the CocaCola Classic formula without corn syrup or sugar.
New Coke(from the 80's) was the Diet Coke formula with corn syrup and sugar.

Down South we call all soda Coke. The first time I went to a DC hot dog vendor, I asked him what kind of Coke he had and he looked at me and said, "Diet and regular." Language can be funny.

pedro
03-01-2007, 12:17 AM

Down South we call all soda Coke. The first time I went to a DC hot dog vendor, I asked him what kind of Coke he had and he looked at me and said, "Diet and regular." Language can be funny.

That's right. I can remember being asked "what kind" when I ordered a coke in Atlanta and knowing that they weren't asking if you wanted a Diet or not.

oneupper
03-01-2007, 12:19 AM
Coke in South America (made with real sugar)....ahhh.

My midsection has about 10 pounds from that alone.

Chip R
03-01-2007, 01:33 AM

Or taste.

Doesn't surprise me. I always thought they tasted alike.

Razor Shines
03-01-2007, 02:05 AM
I gave up all carbonation about a year and a half ago, it eats oxygen. I drink about 2 gallons of water everyday. I finally got my wife to start doing it, I also made her give up coffee. But she's been doing it for a few months and she has more energy now and doesn't even miss the caffeine in the morning.

KronoRed
03-01-2007, 02:46 AM
Pop? it's soda ;)

and it's either Sprite Zero, Sunkist or Cherry Coke Zero (a new addition)

RedsBaron
03-01-2007, 07:46 AM
I drink a lot of coffee, but I also usually have a diet Dr. Pepper at work. If I'm at a pizza joint that doesn't offer diet Dr. Pepper, I'll just go with a diet Pepsi or diet Coke.

creek14
03-01-2007, 08:17 AM
I don't drink it anymore, but when I did, it was Sprite.

I could have a serious addition to Coke. And Cherry Coke. I had to give that stuff up years ago. I was up to 6 - 8 cans/bottles a day.

Now I'm just a water girl.

RANDY IN INDY
03-01-2007, 08:36 AM
A root beer, from time to time, but mainly decaf iced tea at home.

RedFanAlways1966
03-01-2007, 08:38 AM
Like RB and justincredible... I drink Diet Dr. Pepper. I drank nuthin' but Diet Pepsi for many years, then switched to Diet Vanilla Pepsi for about a year. Then about a year ago I was kind of forced to buy a Diet Dr. Pepper b/c the soda machine was soldout of the Diet Pepsi. To my surprise I really liked it and have been drinking nothing but that for the last year and a half.

Usually one 16 oz. here at work that I'll buy at 10:00 am. Then I drink about two 12 oz. glasses from the 2-Liter I keep at home each evening. On the weekends I drink a lot more just b/c it is readily available.

macro
03-01-2007, 09:16 AM
I have one of these (the diet one, Vault Zero, and in a 12-ounce can) on the way to work each morning and another when I get home. Despite appearances and what is said here (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vault_%28soft_drink%29) regarding caffeine content, it doesn't seem to have as much as Mountain Dew. It's made by Coca-Cola.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/2/2c/Vault_Bottles.jpg

Team Clark
03-01-2007, 09:21 AM
I used to drink Coke like it was meant to sustain life. Now I drink Water and assorted juices. Consequently I am not tired all day and if I do have an occasional Coke the taste is not all that great.

GAC
03-01-2007, 09:24 AM
The only coffee I drink, and since I am a 3rd shifter, is that I'll have a cup before I go to work. But I see people nowadays drinking stuff like Red Bull and other so-called high energy drinks. Before I knew what it was I bought one for my daughter. Geez! Then I read what was in it and I cut those off right now.

I have always hated diet pop. I just don't see how anyone can drink that stuff with the artificial sweetner. The after taste it leaves (at least with me) is terrible. My wife puts a hurtin' on Diet Pepsi and tells me you can't tell the difference. I told her B-A-L-O-N-E-Y! But I guess after you drink it long enough you just get use to it.

03-01-2007, 09:34 AM
I only drink pop when there is nothing else to drink, unless it is on the occaision (rare) that I get a glass bottle. Other than that I have no preference. My wife's family all seem to have this odd loyalty to there pop. They will only drink "their" brand, so at get togethers there is a ton of 12 liter bottles. When someone asks me what I want to drink I tell them "Whatever you pour me" and they look at me like I am some kind of lunatic.

letsgojunior
03-01-2007, 09:51 AM
Like chili, I need to stay awake and stuff. I drink lots of diet pepsi and diet sunkist (not a lot of caffeine but still good) as a result. I also drink a lot of Starbucks (frapuccinos, espresso). I have a caffeine addiction.

GIK
03-01-2007, 10:01 AM
http://dir.yahoo.com/thespark/7145/caffeine-nation-marches-on

BuckWoody
03-01-2007, 10:05 AM
I only drink pop when there is nothing else to drink, unless it is on the occaision (rare) that I get a glass bottle. Other than that I have no preference. My wife's family all seem to have this odd loyalty to there pop. They will only drink "their" brand, so at get togethers there is a ton of 12 liter bottles. When someone asks me what I want to drink I tell them "Whatever you pour me" and they look at me like I am some kind of lunatic.

Wow, they really are serious about their pop! ;)

I'm generally a Diet Coke guy myself and drink 1 a day, sometimes two. I also really like Barq's root beer and red pop, Sunkist orange, and an occasional Vernor's ginger ale. I usually stick to the diet stuff because I'm used to the taste; any "regular" soda tastes too syrupy sweet to me now.

creek14
03-01-2007, 10:06 AM
I work 12 hour days, tell me about needing to stay awake!! :(

I use to have a caffeine addition (see the Coke reference above).

Oddly enough, once I gave up caffeine and started drinking water I have more energy and able to get through the day a lot easier than ever before.

03-01-2007, 10:27 AM
Wow, they really are serious about their pop! ;)

I'm generally a Diet Coke guy myself and drink 1 a day, sometimes two. I also really like Barq's root beer and red pop, Sunkist orange, and an occasional Vernor's ginger ale. I usually stick to the diet stuff because I'm used to the taste; any "regular" soda tastes too syrupy sweet to me now.

Yeah, you would think it was like beer....:beerme: my maw in law only has one daughter that drinks, and when she has a drink, my m-i-l hates it. Says it is a shame she drinks alcohol. Worries about her health. Just for having a drink. If she sat there and drank 6 pops , though, my m-i-l wouldn't say a thing.:bang:

TeamMorris
03-01-2007, 10:41 AM
I use to drink a ton of soda and coffee a day. When you work in restaurants and it is right there in front of you all day and free you get hooked. I cut way back about 7 years ago when I was pregnant with my son (nice to have juice & milk free for the taking also). I now drink maybe 2 or 3 cans a week and 1 to 2 cups of coffee a day (the 50/50 stuff). Has to be diet and I prefer coke products. Pepsi is to sweet even in diet form.

Johnny Footstool
03-01-2007, 10:45 AM
I used to drink Coke all day, and I wondered why I couldn't sleep well at night. I also developed acid reflux from all the carbonation.

Now I drink one Coke a day, in the morning. The rest of the time I drink MinuteMaid Light Cherry Limeade like it's going out of style (10 calories per can, no carbonation, no caffeine). I throw in an occasional Gatorade Lemonade for good measure.

15fan
03-01-2007, 10:55 AM
1 Coke a day for me. Usually around lunch / mid-day. Otherwise, it's H20.

(Excepting, of course, the occasional beer...)

westofyou
03-01-2007, 11:20 AM
No Soda in the house growing up, never got in the habit aside from looking at as a quick appetite suppressant or the best thing to wash asian or Mexican food down with.

Coke also is great when your mouth is sore in the post cold stage, really heals it up too.

And it gets that film off your windshield as well.

If backed into a corner I'll drink Coke, Squirt or Jarritos (Tamarindo )

TeamSelig
03-01-2007, 11:28 AM
I can drink just about any kind of pop, but I really try to stay away from Diet or Caffeine free.

I go in stages where I'll drink a certain pop for 3-4 months, then switch. Usually its Pepsi, Mt. Dew, or Dr. Pepper.

BoydsOfSummer
03-01-2007, 12:11 PM
I drink alot of pop. Probably an unhealthy amount. Between 2-3 two liter bottles a day. Mostly stuff in the Diet Pepsi family. I've always got a mugful sitting around and sipping on it.

GIK
03-01-2007, 12:16 PM
I love, love Coke Classic. I just can't drink it like I used to. Funny thing happens when you get closer to 30 - "bad" food/drink is a lot harder to get away with. :)

SunDeck
03-01-2007, 02:50 PM
I gave up all carbonation about a year and a half ago, it eats oxygen.

Please explain. I have this image of firefighters dousing forest fires with the stuff.

M2
03-01-2007, 03:00 PM
What's pop?

It's the commie term for soda.

TeamCasey
03-01-2007, 03:32 PM

:beerme: Thank you, East Coast! :thumbup:

rdiersin
03-01-2007, 03:38 PM

BOO!

I miss the term now that I am living in Philly. Stupid east coasters and their soda.;)

As to the original question, I am Diet Rite person. I know that it is, as my wife says, cold brown fizz water. But funny enough, I like cold brown fizz water.

Johnny Footstool
03-01-2007, 03:41 PM

Soda comes in a box and removes odors from your refrigerator.

http://img.products.howstuffworks.com/cctool/PrdImg/images/pr/177X150/00/01/c6/39/5b/29768027.JPG

M2
03-01-2007, 03:43 PM
BOO!

I miss the term now that I am living in Philly. Stupid east coasters and their soda.;)

And we control Madison Avenue, which is why you'll never hear soda called "pop" in a national television commerical. Plus, you can't drink an onomatopoeia.

M2
03-01-2007, 03:46 PM
Soda comes in a box and removes odors from your refrigerator.

http://img.products.howstuffworks.com/cctool/PrdImg/images/pr/177X150/00/01/c6/39/5b/29768027.JPG

That's called bicarbonate of soda. They put it in water to create soda water, which people, for understandable reasons, shorten to soda.

rdiersin
03-01-2007, 03:46 PM
And we control Madison Avene, which is why you'll never hear soda called "pop" in a national television commerical. Plus, you can't drink an onomatopoeia.

Me thinks people should unite and just use sody-pop

dabvu2498
03-01-2007, 03:48 PM
I was in Boston for two days and ordered a "soda" at Fenway park.

If people around here knew that, I'd lose my Butler County citizenship card.

As for what I drink: This: http://www.ale-8-one.com/pics/P022.jpg

Johnny Footstool
03-01-2007, 03:49 PM
Me thinks people should unite just use sody-pop

That, or "fizzy lifting drink."

M2
03-01-2007, 03:53 PM
I was in Boston for two days and ordered a "soda" at Fenway park.

You can't be blamed. You wanted a drink, not a stern look of disapproval. I waited tables for a number of years and you weren't getting anything but schtick if you asked for "pop."

rdiersin
03-01-2007, 03:53 PM
That, or "fizzy lifting drink."

Or "bubbly black gold"

TheDonkluver44
03-01-2007, 04:14 PM
I have a serious addiction to Mt Dew, i dont know if i could give it up. I like to tell myself that it's at least not as bad because i only drink one glass of it a day and I can usually make it last for a long time. I know that's grasping at straws here, but it makes me feel better.

Gainesville Red
03-01-2007, 04:16 PM
I drink alot of pop. Probably an unhealthy amount. Between 2-3 two liter bottles a day.

I'm no doctor, but I'd say there's probably no probably about it. 2 to 3 two liters a day? By yourself?

That's like a bath tub of soda per day.

With my lifestyle and intake of crap into my boday, no one would mistake me for a saint, but it really may be time to start cutting down a little.

How do you feel all day? Can you sleep at night? Sounds expensive also.

dabvu2498
03-01-2007, 04:26 PM
You can't be blamed. You wanted a drink, not a stern look of disapproval.

My accent was enough to do that.

Standard response to questions about directions in Boston: "YOU can't do it."

MrsHammer
03-01-2007, 04:31 PM
Soda? Pop?! My husband is from Ohio and I've told him over and over that everything is called 'coke' down here in the Bluegrass state. haha. Anyway, I'm not much of a carbonated beverage drinker, but I've had my share of 'Big Red' and 'A&W Root Beer'. My drink of choice is sweet iced tea though. Funny how in other parts of the country, they look at you weird if you order sweet iced tea. I guess they either drink it unsweetened or hot. What's up with that?

BRM
03-01-2007, 04:33 PM
Pop? I like a good Barley pop. Does that count?

pedro
03-01-2007, 04:34 PM
Soda? Pop?! My husband is from Ohio and I've told him over and over that everything is called 'coke' down here in the Bluegrass state. haha. Anyway, I'm not much of a carbonated beverage drinker, but I've had my share of 'Big Red' and 'A&W Root Beer'. My drink of choice is sweet iced tea though. Funny how in other parts of the country, they look at you weird if you order sweet iced tea. I guess they either drink it unsweetened or hot. What's up with that?

sweet tea is a purely southern thing.

Roy Tucker
03-01-2007, 04:38 PM
I don't drink it much any more, but when I used to have a hankering for something cold, Vernor's Ginger Ale, cream soda, a good root beer, and Classic Coke hit the spot.

But that's all fat pop and even when I drink pop, I don't drink fat pop any more. My wife stocks Diet Rite white grape and raspberry which isn't too bad. I'll have one on the weekend.

I just drink water mostly nowadays.

Sea Ray
03-01-2007, 04:49 PM
I drink alot of pop. Probably an unhealthy amount. Between 2-3 two liter bottles a day. Mostly stuff in the Diet Pepsi family. I've always got a mugful sitting around and sipping on it.

You're the type that really has to watch for dental ramifications. Too many carbonated beverages is murder on teeth. These drinks are fizzed with carbonic acid and the low PH dissolves teeth.

I know the type. These folks need a pop in the morning to wake up. They also need one when driving a car. Another one while in the cubicle or while studying (if a student). Another one on the drive home. Another one when they get home as a treat. Another one with dinner and before long they've had 6 or 7 for the day. Their mouth never has a chance to buffer that acid. It stays in an acidic state all day long.

My suggestion: You're an adult. Drink an adult beverage. Drink coffee, tea during the day, beer at night! Drink pop only on weekends or on occasion with a meal. Much easier on your teeth.

Sea Ray
03-01-2007, 04:53 PM
I have a serious addiction to Mt Dew, i dont know if i could give it up. I like to tell myself that it's at least not as bad because i only drink one glass of it a day and I can usually make it last for a long time. I know that's grasping at straws here, but it makes me feel better.

Mountain Dew is the worst. The slang term for Pop cavities is Mountain Dew syndrome. Dentally you're better off if you guzzle your Mountain Dew. Slowly sipping it just extends the amount of time your mouth is exposed to an acidic environment.

BRM
03-01-2007, 04:56 PM
My suggestion: You're an adult. Drink an adult beverage. Drink coffee, tea during the day, beer at night! Drink pop only on weekends or on occasion with a meal. Much easier on your teeth.

Beer is good for your teeth? Sweet!! I can't wait to tell my wife I have to drink more beer because it's good for my dental hygiene!

Sea Ray
03-01-2007, 05:00 PM
Beer is good for your teeth? Sweet!! I can't wait to tell my wife I have to drink more beer because it's good for my dental hygiene!

You bet. Beer is tons better than pop. Alcohol kills off plaque producing bacteria. Drink up!

BRM
03-01-2007, 05:02 PM
You bet. Beer is tons better than pop. Alcohol kills off plaque producing bacteria. Drink up!

You're my hero!!

15fan
03-01-2007, 05:05 PM
My dentist once told me that if I was going to drink a Coke (soda...pop...whatever) that I should always drink it with a straw. That way the stuff hits the roof of your mouth & not your teeth.

M2
03-01-2007, 05:10 PM
My dentist once told me that if I was going to drink a Coke (soda...pop...whatever) that I should always drink it with a straw. That way the stuff hits the roof of your mouth & not your teeth.

Or shotgun it.

dabvu2498
03-01-2007, 05:14 PM
Or shotgun it.

Shotgunning a Coke. I'm getting a sugar buzz just thinking about it.

RedFanAlways1966
03-01-2007, 05:20 PM

You are going to make the soda-drinkers anti-dentites & the beer-drinkers pro-dentites. For those who enjoy both kinds of drinks... I guess it depends on the time of the day. :)

Ltlabner
03-01-2007, 05:26 PM
As for what I drink: This: http://www.ale-8-one.com/pics/P022.jpg

Urrrghhh....that stuff is horrible. Sorry Dabvu, Ale8one is all yours buddy. :barf:

15fan
03-01-2007, 05:36 PM
Or shotgun it.

Well sure.

But that's only fun if you shotgun it after downing 5 or 6 packages of Pop Rocks and then immediately start jumping around on a trampoline.

Sea Ray
03-01-2007, 05:51 PM

A straw does help. I wouldn't make a blanket statement that one should always use one. I reserve the straw idea for those who refuse to moderate their habits.

Sweetstop
03-01-2007, 05:59 PM
Only thing resembling pop that I buy anymore is the occasional bottle of natural flavored Italian soda (lemon, blood orange are favorites). Target or Trader Joe's brands are decent.

LawFive
03-01-2007, 07:17 PM
I've been trying really hard lately to do the diet pop thing. Diet Mountain Dew works, if cold. I much prefer Diet Pepsi over Diet Coke...but if I'm on regular, I'd rather have Coke than Pepsi. Weird, huh?

Back in my HS/college days, I drank enough regular Mountain Dew to fill the Atlantic.

Yachtzee
03-01-2007, 07:41 PM
I've been trying really hard lately to do the diet pop thing. Diet Mountain Dew works, if cold. I much prefer Diet Pepsi over Diet Coke...but if I'm on regular, I'd rather have Coke than Pepsi. Weird, huh?

Back in my HS/college days, I drank enough regular Mountain Dew to fill the Atlantic.

My wife is the same way regarding the Coke/Pepsi Diet vs. Regular choices. She seems to think that Diet Pepsi tastes closer to Regular Coke and Diet Coke tastes more like Pepsi. Of course if the rumor about New Coke being Diet Coke w/ corn syrup is true, that may make sense. The whole reason I didn't like New Coke was that it tasted like Pepsi.

KronoRed
03-01-2007, 07:58 PM
You might not want to mention Sierra Mist around Krono.

I remember Kitty had a great description of what Sierra Mist tastes like

Red in Chicago
03-01-2007, 08:28 PM
My wife is the same way regarding the Coke/Pepsi Diet vs. Regular choices. She seems to think that Diet Pepsi tastes closer to Regular Coke and Diet Coke tastes more like Pepsi. Of course if the rumor about New Coke being Diet Coke w/ corn syrup is true, that may make sense. The whole reason I didn't like New Coke was that it tasted like Pepsi.

i didn't like new coke either, as i'm not a fan of pepsi, but the new coke zero product is really good, in my opinion

pedro
03-01-2007, 09:56 PM
I remember Kitty had a great description of what Sierra Mist tastes like

I heard some pretty unflattering descriptions of Moxie.

http://imagecache2.allposters.com/images/pic/DES/D60~Ted-Williams-Moxie-Posters.jpg

westofyou
03-01-2007, 09:58 PM
I heard some pretty unflattering descriptions of Moxie.

http://imagecache2.allposters.com/images/pic/DES/D60~Ted-Williams-Moxie-Posters.jpg

Moxie tastes like butt.

Razor Shines
03-01-2007, 10:19 PM
Please explain. I have this image of firefighters dousing forest fires with the stuff.

You may have me there. When I was in college I played basketball and we had a nutritionist who came and spoke to us and he was strongly against carbonated beverages especially for athletes. I don't remember his whole argument but I'm pretty sure I remember him saying about it "eating the air in your lungs". I'm not really sure what the purpose of it was, we'd already had a rule that we weren't allowed to drink carbonation during the season anyway. So it wasn't like he was telling us anything life changing, and I didn't bother doing any research on it, I'm blindly accepting the fact that water is better than soda. And he may have been full of crap, for all I know he may not even have had a degree. I feel I breathe easier without it, but that could be all psychological.

Cyclone792
03-02-2007, 12:24 AM
I've always found this interesting ...

http://popvssoda.com:2998/countystats/total-county.gif

pedro
03-02-2007, 04:26 AM
I've always found this interesting ...

That map is really interesting Cylclone.

creek14
03-02-2007, 06:18 AM
I waited tables for a number of years and you weren't getting anything but schtick if you asked for "pop."
If you had *schticked* me, this is the tip you would have found on the table. ;)

http://images.usatoday.com/money/_photos/2006/05/10/inside-penny.jpg

RANDY IN INDY
03-02-2007, 09:01 AM
If you had *schticked* me, this is the tip you would have found on the table. ;)

Same here!:beerme: ;)

GAC
03-02-2007, 09:12 AM
Pop? Soda? I've also heard it referred to as soda pop. ;)

RANDY IN INDY
03-02-2007, 09:19 AM
"A Coke" is pretty much what you hear in the Charlotte area.

Johnny Footstool
03-02-2007, 10:59 AM
That map is really interesting Cylclone.

I'm interested in the rare "Other" counties. It looks like Phoenix, some parts of North Carolina, and a strange enclave in northern Minnesota use different terms than the rest of the country.

westofyou
03-02-2007, 11:01 AM
I'm interested in the rare "Other" counties. It looks like Phoenix, some parts of North Carolina, and a strange enclave in northern Minnesota use different terms than the rest of the country.

All places that experience the influx of Corporate Gypsies, ones who say soda, pop, or coke.

GAC
03-02-2007, 12:04 PM
Saying "coke" in Florida, especially around Jacksonville, could get you 10-15 though. :mooner:

paintmered
03-02-2007, 12:23 PM
Like chili, I need to stay awake and stuff. I drink lots of diet pepsi and diet sunkist (not a lot of caffeine but still good) as a result. I also drink a lot of Starbucks (frapuccinos, espresso). I have a caffeine addiction.

http://www.waterjoe.com/

M2
03-02-2007, 12:29 PM

You'd be amazed by what restaurant patrons will tolerate. You can schtick 'em. You can reorder their seating for better feng shui. You can butter their bread and feed it to them. As long as you get them their food quickly, keep their beverages filled and their table clean, then you're pretty much getting the tip you were getting from them in the first place.

The table waiting industry profiles people. A table that orders cocktails, people with thick New York City accents, truckers, yuppie couples out without the kids -- you can get 20-25 percent from them. Europeans, old couples that ask where the bread is when the water gets delivered, people who order "pop" - they can be social, gracious and polite, but they tend not to tip well. As a Capitalist, you learn that you just turn over some tables as fast as you can while you dote on others. I learned from waitresses who had decades of experience in these matters. They had their own language and customer profiles down to a science. When you were in the back and heard "I just got a family of six that ordered pop" it meant that it was going to be a to be a lot of work for a small tip.

Just like there's little you can do to get a good tip from some tables, there's also little you can do to lose a tip. Maybe somebody will round down to the nearest dollar instead of round up, but most people just want their food. As long as you give it to them they aren't going to care if you ovaled your lips and popped your hand against them when they asked for "pop."

I waited tables, on and off, for five years. I never got stiffed. I never got a complaint to the manager. And, believe me, the "pop" schtick was minor compared to some of the stuff I pulled (e.g. dirty jokes, in-date advice).

BRM
03-02-2007, 12:35 PM
So, if my wife and I order adult beverages when we first sit down, we are likely to get better service from our waiter/waitress? Interesting.

M2
03-02-2007, 01:00 PM
So, if my wife and I order adult beverages when we first sit down, we are likely to get better service from our waiter/waitress? Interesting.

It's possible. Going straight to the wine menu is even better. You immediately identify yourself as someone who's out for the full meal experience. You've got a limited amount of time when you're waiting tables. What you learn is that there's some people who are going to tip extra for more personalized service while others will be appreciative, but aren't going to spend anything more than they would have if you had whisked them through the meal. Waitrons work for tips. You're looking to average 18-20 percent for the shift.

Dress up a bit. Order some drinks. Order some of the more exotic stuff on the menu. Stuff like that can get you extra attention. It lets the server know that here's someone who should be worth the extra effort.

Rojo
03-02-2007, 06:59 PM
I think there's an anti-ginger-ale conspiracy. Its seriously hard to find. Machines, restaurants, even a lot of bodegas just don't have it. And its delicious, easily the best soda.

Is it because the industry leaders are pushing their crappy lemon-lime sodas?

SunDeck
03-02-2007, 08:39 PM
You may have me there. When I was in college I played basketball and we had a nutritionist who came and spoke to us and he was strongly against carbonated beverages especially for athletes. I don't remember his whole argument but I'm pretty sure I remember him saying about it "eating the air in your lungs". I'm not really sure what the purpose of it was, we'd already had a rule that we weren't allowed to drink carbonation during the season anyway. So it wasn't like he was telling us anything life changing, and I didn't bother doing any research on it, I'm blindly accepting the fact that water is better than soda. And he may have been full of crap, for all I know he may not even have had a degree. I feel I breathe easier without it, but that could be all psychological.

Was the nutritionist's name Izzy Mandelbaum, by chance?

http://content.answers.com/main/content/wp/en/thumb/0/0f/200px-Seinfeld_s8e17.jpg

SunDeck
03-02-2007, 08:43 PM
Pop? Soda? I've also heard it referred to as soda pop. ;)

No- this is soda pop

http://www.lowe-impact.com/images/sodapop3.jpg

creek14
03-02-2007, 09:06 PM
people who order "pop" - they can be social, gracious and polite, but they tend not to tip well.
I always order pop for my son (water for me). If the server comes and asks if jr needs refills (and my water), he/she will get a good 25%, if not more. If they think I'm a small tipper and blow me off, they won't.

westofyou
03-02-2007, 09:14 PM
No- this is soda pop

http://www.lowe-impact.com/images/sodapop3.jpg

Oh Pony Boy... your Tuff, Tuff, Hair....

GAC
03-02-2007, 09:58 PM
I just got back from visiting my sister. She gave me a can of this (which I never knew existed)....

http://www.secure.figures.com/tomart/catalog/images/peterose

pedro
03-02-2007, 10:06 PM
I just got back from visiting my sister. She gave me a can of this (which I never knew existed)....

http://www.secure.figures.com/tomart/catalog/images/peterose

cool.

MaineRed
03-02-2007, 10:55 PM
I drink a fair share. The fridge usually has a 12 pack of Coke, Pepsi or Mountain Dew. I have a can at lunch and one after work at the least

I also keep some Sprite Zero on hand to mix with vodka.

Sometimes when trying to be a little more healthy I mix Sprite Zero with a shot of fruit punch instead of a coke or mountain dew. I don't like the Sprite Zero by itself and I used to drink 7-up and fruit punch as a kid. 7-up and Hawaiian Punch is to die for.

Coke also is great when your mouth is sore in the post cold stage, really heals it up too.

And it gets that film off your windshield as well.

Coke is also the best thing in the world for cleaning corrosive battery terminals. I'm not kidding. I've also heard that Coke will eat a nail. Just make it disapear. I'm just not sure how long it takes.

I'm no doctor, but I'd say there's probably no probably about it. 2 to 3 two liters a day? By yourself?

That's like a bath tub of soda per day.

How do you feel all day? Can you sleep at night? Sounds expensive also.

Around here you can get a 2 liter bottle for $1. 3 a day would be no more than $30 for the week if buying at Wal Mart or someplace like that. I know people who drop that at the bar twice a week. Or people who smoke two packs a day. THAT is expensive. You are looking at $70 to $80 a week on smokes.

I noticed on that map that Maine was one of the few states in the country where there is no discrepency on the name, though my grandmother calls it pop from time to time. I guess they didn't ask her.

I don't know if anyone mentioned this but on most menus, soda is listed as a soft drink.

pedro
03-02-2007, 11:22 PM
That is a great trick that I use from time to time.

Chip R
03-02-2007, 11:37 PM
I've also heard that Coke will eat a nail. Just make it disapear. I'm just not sure how long it takes.

http://www.snopes.com/cokelore/tooth.asp

Claim: A tooth left in a glass of Coca-Cola will dissolve overnight.

Origins: I don't know of anyone who hasn't heard the rumor that too much Coca-Cola rots your innards, and the proof of this can be determined by dropping a baby tooth into a glass of it, then going back the next morning to find most of it eaten away. If Coca-Cola can dissolve a tooth overnight, imagine what it must be doing to your teeth, not to mention your stomach and digestive tract!

All such claims ignore a few salient points:

Coca-Cola will not dissolve a tooth (or a nail, or a penny, or a piece of meat) overnight.
Coca-Cola contains acids (such as citric acid and phosphoric acid) which will eventually dissolve items such as teeth (given enough time), but so do plenty of other substances we commonly ingest (such as orange juice). The concentration of acid in these products is so low that our digestive systems are easily capable of coping with it with no harm to us.
The idea that any substance which can dissolve teeth must therefore damage our teeth if we drink it is nonsensical. We don't hold drinks in our mouths for days at a time any liquids we drink simply wash over our teeth very briefly, and our teeth are further protected by their enamel coating and the ameliorating effects of saliva.

Yachtzee
03-03-2007, 12:51 AM

Origins: I don't know of anyone who hasn't heard the rumor that too much Coca-Cola rots your innards, and the proof of this can be determined by dropping a baby tooth into a glass of it, then going back the next morning to find most of it eaten away. If Coca-Cola can dissolve a tooth overnight, imagine what it must be doing to your teeth, not to mention your stomach and digestive tract!

Coca-Cola will not dissolve a tooth (or a nail, or a penny, or a piece of meat) overnight.
Coca-Cola contains acids (such as citric acid and phosphoric acid) which will eventually dissolve items such as teeth (given enough time), but so do plenty of other substances we commonly ingest (such as orange juice). The concentration of acid in these products is so low that our digestive systems are easily capable of coping with it with no harm to us.
The idea that any substance which can dissolve teeth must therefore damage our teeth if we drink it is nonsensical. We don't hold drinks in our mouths for days at a time any liquids we drink simply wash over our teeth very briefly, and our teeth are further protected by their enamel coating and the ameliorating effects of saliva.

Or how about this one: http://www.snopes.com/cokelore/acid.asp

GAC
03-03-2007, 04:41 AM
When I was in the Navy, and mess cooking, we used Kool-Aid (we called it bug juice - why? I don't know) to clean brass pipes and such. You would mix enough water to make it into a paste/abrasive, and it was the citric acid that shined them right up.

Sea Ray
03-03-2007, 11:36 AM

A tooth left in coke will not dissolve. But that doesn't mean that pop doesn't cause cavities. It does. Big time. If you don't want to believe me ask your dentist or refer to this:

http://www.newstarget.com/000992.html

Or checkout what the ADA has to say about it and why they oppose pop machines in high schools.

Chip R
03-03-2007, 12:23 PM
A tooth left in coke will not dissolve. But that doesn't mean that pop doesn't cause cavities. It does. Big time. If you don't want to believe me ask your dentist or refer to this:

http://www.newstarget.com/000992.html

Or checkout what the ADA has to say about it and why they oppose pop machines in high schools.

I'm sure if you drink enough regular pop it will lead to cavities. I used to chew Big Red gum all the time. When I went to the dentist I'd usually have a cavity. I switched to sugarless a few years ago and haven't had one since.

Matt700wlw
03-03-2007, 07:04 PM
Mt. Dew, Coke, Pepsi, Sprite....I don't really care.

I drink way to much of it.

I'm drinking water right now.......maybe last night has something to do with that... :)

goreds2
03-03-2007, 09:29 PM
I have been drinking Diet Mountain Dew since they created it in (I think) 1988. I drink 4 to 6 cans a day. I drink a little less during the winter where I drink more coffee.

REDblooded
03-04-2007, 11:03 AM
You can pick up 6-packs of Ale8one in glass bottles at meijers for just under 3 bucks. that stuff is incredible.

Willy
03-05-2007, 10:32 PM
I use to be a big pop drinker but like GAC I only drink it now with certain meals(pizza night)

Funny thing about my pop drinking is I only can drink Mountain Dew out of a can cold, but I have to have my Pepsi in a glass of ice. I hate Dew in ice and pepsi out of the can.

Strikes Out Looking
03-05-2007, 11:23 PM
I drink one or less soda's per day. I like Diet Cherry Vanilla Dr. Pepper the best.

And my Boston in-law's refer to soft drinks as "tonic." When I got married they said we could stock the hospitality room with tonic--I thought they thought all my family drank was gin and tonic. My wife finally translated what they were saying into English for me!

WVPacman
03-06-2007, 12:26 AM
My favorite pops are Dr Pepper,Root Beer,and Sprite

WVPacman
03-06-2007, 12:42 AM
What's pop?

I drink a Dr. Pepper most mornings on my way to school. Then I drink water the rest of the day.

Beer at night.

LOL,I went to Alanta Georgia with my parents when I was little to go visit my dads sister.Well Dad walked into a store down there and said what kind of pop do you have here?? Those two or three people that was there looked at him and started laughing and said what is pop?? Dad said you know a pepsi,coke!! They said oh you mean a soda!! Well dad grined b/c they knew what he was talking about but dad wanted to have some fun out of them.

So when the guy looked at him and said oh you mean soda!! Dad looked back at him and said no I want some pop!! Dad looked at him and said buddy I don't know what you all call it down here but we call it pop and thats what I want.Dad started grinning again and they both started laughing out loud at the same time!! It was pretty funny and those guys were nice people,we stayed there and talked for about 20 minutes laughing and caring on about everything.

LOL,it was like they were doing that beer commercial about less feeling or taste great but it was pop and soda.lol

LINEDRIVER
03-06-2007, 05:29 PM
Coke is my preference, Mtn Dew is my second favorite. I do like Pepsi "OK" as long as it's not from a can. I probably drink the equivalent of a 2 liter a day.

My most unfavortie soft drink has to be Mtn Dew Diet. I once upon a time purchased a 20 ounce Diet Mtn Dew by mistake. I didnt realize it until I opened it and took that first swig. If I had to guess what Prestone Antifreeze tastes like, I would guess it tastes like Mt Dew Diet. It's nasty and in the category of crap with RC Cola, IMO.

Back in the day.....

I worked in a small grocery store as a 14-15 yr old part-timer around 1969-1970. The store had a large room in the back just for returned bottles. My main duties were separating and stacking the wood crates that held the Coke, Pepsi, Teem, Frostie Root Beer, Barq's Orange, RC(Royal Crown), etc.

Back in the late 1960's, I want to think that Coca-Cola was available in a 10 ounce glass bottle as well as the smaller 6 1/2 ounce bottle. I think you could get a 10 oz Coke for something like 14 cents. Pepsi came in a 12 ounce bottle for about 16 cents. When Coke and Pepsi went to 16 ounces, the price jump seemed a bit much. lol

Early 1960's. My Dad would take my brother and I to Marcella & Bill's Cafe in Newport, Kentucky on some Saturday afternoons. It felt like a real treat to order and have a Coke on ice in a glass with a bag of potato chips on the side while we played the bowling machine. My brother would always ask for 'Orange' and he would get a bottle of Old Horse Orange Soda with a horse painted on the bottle.