PDA

View Full Version : Hamilton volunteers to close?

Ga_Red
02-28-2007, 11:24 PM
http://www.daytondailynews.com/s/content/oh/story/sports/pro/reds/2007/02/28/ddn030107redsnotes.html

Josh Hamilton said, only half-kidding, "I'll come in close some games for them."

Chip R
03-01-2007, 12:30 AM
He probably throws harder than most of the alta cockers in the bullpen.

CTA513
03-01-2007, 12:50 AM
He probably throws harder than most of the alta cockers in the bullpen.

According to the link below he can get it up to 96 mph.

Josh Hamilton, a 6-foot-4, 210-pound chiseled prospect with a 96 mph fastball and a swing that made scouts and coaches drool, was the No. 1 pick in the 1999 draft and the first position player since Alex Rodriguez to be so honored. (Jonathan Newton - The Post)

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/02/12/AR2007021201312.html

BCubb2003
03-01-2007, 01:18 AM
Did anyone else think it was Joey Hamilton?

KronoRed
03-01-2007, 01:39 AM

Yep.

Ahh the glory years.

redsmetz
03-01-2007, 07:47 AM
Lonnie Wheeler, in his blog, said the Reds have three players in their camp with the stuff to be a closer. He added, unfortunately they're Kyle Lohse, Homer Bailey and Josh Hamilton.

RedFanAlways1966
03-01-2007, 08:12 AM
Strange and rarely seen in the modern era, however... WHY NOT?!? If the guy has the stuff to get ML hitters out, then WHY NOT?!? Of course we have only heard about the velocity, but can he be taught to throw an off-speed pitch too (Mario Soto is around, right?)? Can he be taught how to pitch in the bigs? He seems to possess good OF defensive skills. He seems to have a decent bat. Both need to be practiced to maintain high levels. But isn't there also time to teach the guy how to pitch? The last thing Josh needs is too much free time. As long as the extra work does not cause an injury.

Can you see this... a guy used as a pinch-hitter for the pitcher and then enters the game the next half-inning as the pitcher. How often does that happen? I remember Brooks Kieschnick (former REDS player) doing some of this dual-role thing in Milwaukee not long ago. Why not your #25 guy on the roster? I am for giving it a shot.

Jaycint
03-01-2007, 08:17 AM
Yeah he throws 96 but does he know where it's gonna go anymore? I wouldn't wanna be in the batter's box to find out.

klw
03-01-2007, 08:36 AM
Looks like somebody in Reds camp has been reading Redszone. :D

http://www.redszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=54729&page=3&highlight=josh+hamilton+96

self congratulatory pat on back
http://www.gadgetizer.com/images2/patonback_apparatus.JPG

princeton
03-01-2007, 08:49 AM
anyone that can't hit the ball ought to think about throwing it

texasdave
03-01-2007, 11:46 AM
so we would have janisch pitching the 7th, aasadorian the 8th and hamilton closing.........................................:)

RedlegNation
03-01-2007, 11:52 AM

I just threw up a little in my mouth.

PuffyPig
03-01-2007, 11:52 AM
Lonnie Wheeler, in his blog, said the Reds have three players in their camp with the stuff to be a closer. He added, unfortunately they're Kyle Lohse, Homer Bailey and Josh Hamilton.

I'd be more worried if some of the best closers didn't have the "stuff to be closers".

RedlegNation
03-01-2007, 11:53 AM
I've long thought that Hamilton would have a better chance making it to the majors as a pitcher, after all that time away from the game. He has missed a lot of development time, despite his incredible tools.

Seems like a return to pitching might be a quicker way to becoming a credible player.

RedlegNation
03-01-2007, 11:53 AM

Why not Lohse? Because he's a head case?

Red Leader
03-01-2007, 11:55 AM

I'd be fine with Lohse moving to the closers role and Homer taking his rotation spot.

RedlegNation
03-01-2007, 11:58 AM
I'd be fine with Lohse moving to the closers role and Homer taking his rotation spot.

Now you're talking my language.

Whether Lohse can handle the mental aspect of the job is another question. He threw a fit about having to pitch in relief in Minnesota. I guess the prestige of being a closer might mitigate that for him.

I feel good about Lohse this season, though...for some reason. Maybe it's the fact that it's his contract year. I just feel like he's going to put it together.

Or maybe it's my yearly Reds-colored spring glasses that cause me to be over-optimistic this time of year.

KoryMac5
03-01-2007, 12:02 PM
I think Wheeler forgot to mention Salmon as a possible closer contender. Mid-nineties on the gun and a splitter for an offspeed pitch that's a nice combination for a relief pitcher.

RedlegNation
03-01-2007, 12:05 PM
I think Wheeler forgot to mention Salmon as a possible closer contender. Mid-nineties on the gun and a splitter for an offspeed pitch that's a nice combination for a relief pitcher.

Yeah, but I'd be surprised if Jerry Narron trusted a rook to close.

Of course, he let Coffey close some last year, and he was inexperienced.