PDA

View Full Version : Wheeler's sees Freel starting in center

Ga_Red
02-28-2007, 11:39 PM
http://news.cincypost.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070227/SPT05/702270337/1027

jmac
03-01-2007, 12:31 AM
As for Denorfia, well, "There isn't a whole lot about Chris Denorfia that anybody doesn't like," according to the man whose opinion counts the most. "He's a very good outfielder defensively, and he's shown he can hit in Triple-A. He's got to have some things fall in place for him to be an everyday outfielder, but that could definitely happen."
As quoted by Jerry Narron...

TOBTTReds
03-01-2007, 01:17 AM
As for Denorfia, well, "There isn't a whole lot about Chris Denorfia that anybody doesn't like," according to the man whose opinion counts the most. "He's a very good outfielder defensively, and he's shown he can hit in Triple-A. He's got to have some things fall in place for him to be an everyday outfielder, but that could definitely happen."
As quoted by Jerry Narron...

I'm shocked, but I love it.

buckeyenut
03-01-2007, 06:21 AM
I could live with Freel in CF every day if Denorfia was our 4th OF and not in AAA.

registerthis
03-01-2007, 09:37 AM
"Junior takes balls all over the place," pointed out Billy Hatcher, the Reds' outfield coach. "He takes fly balls in right field, and he goes over to mess with Dunn in left and says, 'Let me show you how to do it.' If you can play center field, you can play anywhere in the outfield."

Hmm, I haven't always thought this to be true. In my own personal experience, I've found that playing center is easier than right or left. My law firm has a softball team in a local league, and I loathe playing right or left field, but center doesn't bother me.

And I think Wily Mo Pena is a good example of a player who can play a competent centerfield but looks lost anywhere else.

OldXOhio
03-01-2007, 09:56 AM
Hmm, I haven't always thought this to be true. In my own personal experience, I've found that playing center is easier than right or left. My law firm has a softball team in a local league, and I loathe playing right or left field, but center doesn't bother me.

And I think Wily Mo Pena is a good example of a player who can play a competent centerfield but looks lost anywhere else.

Agreed. I've always found RF to be the most difficult, esp with a RH hitter at the plate. The ball can do a number of funny things heading to right and the RF's angled vantage point can be a difficult one.

registerthis
03-01-2007, 09:58 AM
Agreed. I've always found RF to be the most difficult, esp with a RH hitter at the plate. The ball can do a number of funny things heading to right and the RF's angled vantage point can be a difficult one.

Exactly. I have a hella difficult time tracking the trajectory of some balls hit out to RF. In center, I rarely have any problems tracking the ball. Doesn't mean I always get to them...but at least I know where they're going to land. ;)

Phhhl
03-01-2007, 10:03 AM
A pulled line drive can slice pretty severely on you in left and right because of the topspin. It can make you look like a clown if you can't judge or anticipate it. In center you rarely see sharp breaks like that, so in that respect it is easier.

Just about everything else regarding the position, however, is more difficult than a corner outfield.

PuffyPig
03-01-2007, 12:03 PM
I think the better interpretation is:

If you can play CF well, you can learn to play RF and LF.

Pena may have looked better in CF than anywhere else, but that's because he could use his speed better in CF. In reality, he stunk everywhere.

The skills required to play a good CF (speed, ability to track balls, good arm) translate very well to LF and RF. I don't think it's a matter that CF is tougher to play, it's a matter that you need certain God-given skills to play CF. You can get by in LF without blazing speed and still be pretty good. There isn't an above average fielding CF in the game who's slow afoot.

RedlegNation
03-01-2007, 12:09 PM
Well, Freel is starting in CF for today's first spring training game.

I think it makes the most sense to start Denorfia 5-6 days a week in CF, and let Freel play 5-6 times a week at whatever position is available.

RedsBaron
03-01-2007, 12:57 PM
As a generalization, if you can run and throw, you play centerfield. If you can run but can't throw, you play leftfield. If you can throw but can't run you play rightfield.
I know that's a broad generalization. If you can't run and throw at least somewhat competently, you DH, play firstbase or sit on the bench, and the field you play on and the composition of your team also affect where you play.