PDA

View Full Version : CBS Sportsline's Five Things to Know (Reds version)

CINCYREDS#1
03-01-2007, 09:56 AM
Reds: Five things to know
By Scott Miller
CBS SportsLine.com Senior Writer
Tell Scott your opinion!

Reds camp report
SARASOTA, Fla. -- Five things to know about the Cincinnati Reds:

1. No recent Cincinnati team has had bulwarks at the top of the rotation like Bronson Arroyo and Aaron Harang. Arroyo led the majors with 240 2/3 innings pitched, most by a Reds pitcher since Jose Rijo's 257 1/3 in 1993. Arroyo was the first Reds pitcher to lead the NL outright in innings pitched (Jack Billingham tied in 1973) since Bucky Walters did it in three consecutive seasons between 1939 and 1941. Arroyo and Harang became the first pair of Reds pitchers to work 230 or more innings since 1998 (Danny Jackson and Tom Browning) and the first pair of Reds right-handers with 230 or more innings pitched since 1965 (Sammy Ellis and Jim Maloney).

2. One priority for the Reds is to do a better job of catching the ball in 2007. Last year's Reds ranked 15th in the NL with a .979 fielding percentage. Only Washington, at .978, was worse. So Cincinnati signed shortstop Alex Gonzalez, who committed only seven errors in 475 total chances last season in Boston. He also compiled a 57-game errorless streak, a record for a shortstop in Boston. "Going into the offseason people were speculating on whether Brandon Phillips would move over to short, but our preference is to keep him at second base," general manager Wayne Krivsky says. "I think he'd be a fine shortstop, but he's got a chance to become a Gold Glove second baseman."

3. Ken Griffey Jr.'s broken hand is progressing, and Krivsky says we'll see him in Grapefruit League games before long. The GM wouldn't be pinned down as to when, however, and he says he's not concerned about it. "He doesn't need many games to get ready anyway," Krivsky says.

4. The Reds were masters at the quick strike last season: They set a club record with 13 pinch-homers. Javier Valentin smashed four, David Ross two and Quinten McCracken, Jason LaRue, Juan Castro, Ray Olmedo, Todd Hollansworth, Brendan Harris and Griffey hit one each. Maybe the roster was so varied because manager Jerry Narron kept everyone on their toes: He used an NL-high 140 different lineups.

5. After acquiring 36 players during his wild and frenetic first year as a GM, Krivsky is looking to be at least a little less busy in 2007. "We made a lot of strides last year throughout the year," he says. "It's just an ongoing process, like it is for 29 other teams. There are areas you try and go over. We're trying to get people in the right place, we're trying to get some continuity between our major and minor league teams. That's important."

dougdirt
03-01-2007, 11:51 AM
Jerry Narron kept everyone on their toes: He used an NL-high 140 different lineups.

Thats how you keep guys from getting into a groove..... That is ridiculous.

BRM
03-01-2007, 11:53 AM
After acquiring 36 players during his wild and frenetic first year as a GM, Krivsky is looking to be at least a little less busy in 2007

36? Wow, I didn't realize it was that many.

Redsland
03-01-2007, 11:55 AM
Actually, it was 48.

BRM
03-01-2007, 11:58 AM
Actually, it was 48.

Even better. How many of those made a positive contribution?

Redsland
03-01-2007, 12:01 PM
Arroyo, Ross, Phillips. Guardado. I'm drawing a blank after that.

dougdirt
03-01-2007, 01:06 PM

Lohse. Clayton. Bray. Majewski. Harris. Thompson. Castro. Just to name a few more.

BRM
03-01-2007, 01:18 PM
Lohse. Clayton. Bray. Majewski. Harris. Thompson. Castro. Just to name a few more.

In fairness, I did say positive contributions.

Highlifeman21
03-01-2007, 03:50 PM
Bulwarks.... good word.

Chip R
03-01-2007, 08:42 PM

Hatteberg.

Enrico Pallazzo
03-01-2007, 10:11 PM
"Arroyo led the majors with 240 2/3 innings pitched, most by a Reds pitcher since Jose Rijo's 257 1/3 in 1993."

I mean did anyone else wince when they read that? Hope his next five years go smoother for Arroyo than they did for Rijo.

crazybob60
03-01-2007, 10:39 PM
"Arroyo led the majors with 240 2/3 innings pitched, most by a Reds pitcher since Jose Rijo's 257 1/3 in 1993."

I mean did anyone else wince when they read that? Hope his next five years go smoother for Arroyo than they did for Rijo.

Yeah, and hopefully they do not overpitch him and go by the Dusty Baker book of Managing.

rotnoid
03-02-2007, 12:13 PM
Maybe the roster was so varied because manager Jerry Narron kept everyone on their toes: He used an NL-high 140 different lineups.

Only 140? Did he fall asleep a few days?

GOREDSGO32
03-02-2007, 12:18 PM
"Reds pitchers to work 230 or more innings since 1998 (Danny Jackson and Tom Browning)"

Are you sure this isn't 1988?

klw
03-02-2007, 12:24 PM
Personally I really enjoyed their piece on who is the wierdest red.

http://www.sportsline.com/spin/story/10028891

But this whole crew should be called The Dream Team -- as in the Michael Keaton movie about a bunch of mental patients run amuck.

UGADaddy
03-02-2007, 02:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CINCYREDS#1 View Post
Jerry Narron kept everyone on their toes: He used an NL-high 140 different lineups.

No, that's exactly how you keep guys in a groove. Narron kept people in the lineup frequently, but at the same time gave everyone a day off every once in a while to keep them fresh. (Plus, the Reds started 12 pitchers last year, probably on the high end of the league average, which would account for a few more lineups.) Personally, I love the lineup rotation. And I love Narron!

MaineRed
03-02-2007, 06:01 PM

Other than all the complainging about Narron's hatred for Edwin last year what examples of players not getting into a groove do you have from last season?

Brandon Phillips had no problems. Edwin did something right when he played or nobody would have had anything to complain about. Hatteberg and Aurillia were solid. Ross had an awesome year. Freel was good until wearing down (IMO).

So, who failed to get into that groove you speak of, thanks to Jerry Narron?

Rocket_Fuel
03-04-2007, 10:08 AM

Other than all the complainging about Narron's hatred for Edwin last year what examples of players not getting into a groove do you have from last season?

Brandon Phillips had no problems. Edwin did something right when he played or nobody would have had anything to complain about. Hatteberg and Aurillia were solid. Ross had an awesome year. Freel was good until wearing down (IMO).

So, who failed to get into that groove you speak of, thanks to Jerry Narron?

Well, how about Narron constantly playing Clayton instead of playing Aurilia consistently? How about taking Phillips out of the lineup for stretches for no logical reason? Edwin didn't get consistent playing time since Narron, instead of playing Edwin and Aurilia consistently had to shoe horn one of those guys into the lineup just to get Royce freaking Clayton playing time. Or the days when a player was hot so he sat him down to "rest" him. Or playing LaRue constantly when Ross was hot and the Reds needed offense. Bottomline, the Reds need consistency and keep the best players on the field consistently save for injuries. Aside from injuries you didn't see Torre or LaRussa "resting" Jeter or Pujols or Edmonds or A-Rod while they were on a hot streak just to shoe horn a hack like Royce Clayton into the lineup.

CWRed
03-04-2007, 12:09 PM
Absolutely correct Rocket Fuel! Or how about that time Edwin was on a tear and was, I believe 3-3 for the game...and Narron pinch hit for him with Aurilia against a righty? I puked blood 3 times. Or batted Clayton second? Or pitched The Lizard in relief and let him start the next day? I guess his "gut" told him to do all those things. Scrappy goodness. :eek: