PDA

View Full Version : Reds Sign Dustin Hermanson To Minor League Contract

tripleaaaron
03-01-2007, 02:05 PM
It was just announced during the game we signed Hermanson. This move is low risk as we signed him to a minor league deal, and if he can be anything like he was just 2 years ago for the Sox, then it is a great signing.

cincy09
03-01-2007, 02:05 PM
From Rotoworld:

Reds signed RHP Dustin Hermanson to a minor league contract and invited him to spring training.

Hermanson's velocity was still well down in his public workout last month. The Reds may talk about him as a closer candidate, but he's not a very good bet to give them more than 40-50 average innings. It might be for the best if he remains in extended spring training to begin the year.

cincy09
03-01-2007, 02:06 PM
Low risk High reward

bucksfan2
03-01-2007, 02:06 PM
As long as it is a minor league deal I am fine with it.

Redskinalum02
03-01-2007, 02:32 PM
Definitely worth a shot. I like the signing

TheWalls
03-01-2007, 02:41 PM
Yuck! (rhymes with f***). Somebody carry his bag for him or his back will go out.

BRM
03-01-2007, 02:42 PM
Sometimes dumpster diving can pay off. Maybe this will be one of those times.

KoryMac5
03-01-2007, 02:45 PM
It's a minor league deal, I say great move by Krivsky he waited until interest from other teams died down before making his move.

blumj
03-01-2007, 03:11 PM
Yuck! (rhymes with f***). Somebody carry his bag for him or his back will go out.
Don't let him wash the dishes, either, he once missed a half season with a cut on his pitching hand from that, too. He missed the other half of the same season after he slipped pitching in the rain, so don't let him pitch when it's raining. Otherwise, he should be fine if you don't forget to encase him in bubble wrap.

dougdirt
03-01-2007, 03:21 PM
It's a minor league deal, I say great move by Krivsky he waited until interest from other teams died down before making his move.

Dont you think there is a reason that other teams had no interest in him after they saw him pitch?

Red Leader
03-01-2007, 03:33 PM
Dont you think there is a reason that other teams had no interest in him after they saw him pitch?

Yes. He's got back problems. Most likely will always have them going forward. He is attempting to continue his career most likely pitching in pain every time out. I give him props for that. And you can't argue that he isn't talented. Injury free, he's been a great reliever. I'm guessing most of the "other" teams didn't want to take the chance because he is likely a DL-stint waiting to happen. The Reds took the chance (seemingly a WK-specialty) because he does have a lot of talent. The Reds were willing to take a chance (w/ a minor league deal) that Hermanson can "control" these back pains, fight through it, regain his velocity after a long layoff, and pitch effectively. A lot of hurdles? You bet, but it's not everyday you can sign a 34 year old pitcher with great numbers two seasons ago, closers experience, and a bulldog attitude to a minor league contract. Of course it helps that WK seems to have developed a fetish for his bullpen where other teams GM's don't share that same feeling.

Danny Serafini
03-01-2007, 04:41 PM
According to Trent's blog he'll make $500,000 if he makes the roster. Cheaper than I expected.

Gallen5862
03-01-2007, 05:00 PM
This is a good move. Low Risk High reward potential. It adds another Pitcher to the Reds Bullpen. I would say he starts season on dl or extended Spring training.

Falls City Beer
03-01-2007, 05:39 PM
If you believe the rumors, Hermanson can't break a pane of sugarglass with his fastball. FWIW.

Sounds like more of the same "throw crap against the wall and see if it sticks."

BRM
03-01-2007, 05:41 PM
Sounds like more of the same "throw crap against the wall and see if it sticks."

Well, I referred to it as typical dumpster diving but your statement holds water.

Jim
03-01-2007, 06:25 PM
Great move by Kriv. He was lights out for the White Sox during their WS season. We're getting him super cheap, so no loss if he can't play very long into the season.

corkedbat
03-01-2007, 06:41 PM
Maybe he won't fully breakdown until Eveready Eddieis ready topitch (and maybe not). :D

I'm thinking the 25-man is shaping up to be:

8-man regular line up
3-man bench (1-INF, 1-OF, 1-C)
4-man rotation (Harang, Arroyo, Milton, Lohse)
10-man pen (Hermanson, Stanton, Weathers, Bray, Coffey, Cormier,
Majewski, Shackleford, Salmon & Burton)

:luvu:

Surely we can get something for at least one or two of these guys.

corkedbat
03-01-2007, 06:42 PM
nm

cacollinsmba
03-01-2007, 09:54 PM
Maybe he won't fully breakdown until Eveready Eddieis ready topitch (and maybe not). :D

I'm thinking the 25-man is shaping up to be:

8-man regular line up
3-man bench (1-INF, 1-OF, 1-C)
4-man rotation (Harang, Arroyo, Milton, Lohse)
10-man pen (Hermanson, Stanton, Weathers, Bray, Coffey, Cormier,
Majewski, Shackleford, Salmon & Burton)

:luvu:

Surely we can get something for at least one or two of these guys.

Is your assumption that Saarloos doesn't make the team or gets traded? I would have to think he's in there somewhere.

OesterPoster
03-01-2007, 10:00 PM
I'm guessing most of the "other" teams didn't want to take the chance because he is likely a DL-stint waiting to happen. The Reds took the chance (seemingly a WK-specialty) because he does have a lot of talent.

Or maybe other teams were interested; however, Dustin chose the minor league deal with his hometown team?

I find it hard to believe ol' Leatherpants didn't try to dive this "dumpster" too.

corkedbat
03-01-2007, 10:33 PM
Is your assumption that Saarloos doesn't make the team or gets traded? I would have to think he's in there somewhere.

I was just kidding about the proliferation in our pen. I actually think Sarloos will be our 5th starter and fare better than Milton.