PDA

View Full Version : Evaluation of the First Spring game of the year

Eric_Davis
03-01-2007, 04:08 PM
What do you look for in Spring games?

Different guys work on different things. Hitters' numbers don't mean a lot to me in Spring Training.

I do however like to look at WHIPS in Spring, not overall WHIPS because you can have one bad day or two in Spring Training and screw that up. I especially like to see as pitcher's get closer to the start of the season what their WHIP's are each game.

Today's WHIPS:

Milton--------3.500 (2 IP) (2 HR's)
Wilson--------2.000 (2 IP) (1 HR)
Saarloos------0.000 (2 IP)
Cormier-------2.000 (1 IP)
Coffey--------0.000 (1 IP) (1 throwing Error, too)
Salmon-------3.000 (1 IP)

Hoosier Red
03-01-2007, 04:14 PM
I think the first weeks stats should automatically be shredded.

After that I think Whip is a good place to start.

Ltlabner
03-01-2007, 04:14 PM
Tough break with the wind because you can't tell if it's the same old Eric Milton or the breeze that led to those two homers.

Wilson is an experiment that frankly, I'd like to see ended sooner rather than later. I admire his drive and think he's a standup guy, but it's time to give it a rest.

Saarloos, definatley impressive. Let's hope that's indicitive of what we'll continue to see. If he can keep the ball on the ground, as is his norm, the addition of Gonzo to Phillips up the middle will be a huge move.

Coffey. About what you'd expect.

Salmon. Not impressive but not horrible either.

Eric_Davis
03-01-2007, 04:15 PM
I don't put too much stock in guys having bad games early, but it's nice to see pitchers having good ones early, like Saarloos did here.

redsmetz
03-01-2007, 07:09 PM
Tough break with the wind because you can't tell if it's the same old Eric Milton or the breeze that led to those two homers.

Wilson is an experiment that frankly, I'd like to see ended sooner rather than later. I admire his drive and think he's a standup guy, but it's time to give it a rest.

Saarloos, definatley impressive. Let's hope that's indicitive of what we'll continue to see. If he can keep the ball on the ground, as is his norm, the addition of Gonzo to Phillips up the middle will be a huge move.

Coffey. About what you'd expect.

Salmon. Not impressive but not horrible either.

I'm curious about your statement. This is a big "if", but if Wilson in fact healthy and his pitches are what they say they are, I can only see that as a plus. Now again, that's a big "if".