PDA

View Full Version : 1st Base Platoon?

hippie07
03-01-2007, 05:33 PM
What do we read into the fact that Mark Bellhorn was the starting 1st baseman today against a left-handed starter?

Could they be looking at him as being the right-handed half of the 1st base platoon? It could explain why they have talked about Conine almost extensively lately as the 4th outfielder.
Bellhorn's a switch hitter which would also make him an interesting addition to the bench. Could he be this year's Aurillia?

I just thought it was an interesting point of interest - anyone have any thoughts?

pedro
03-01-2007, 05:34 PM
I would love to have Belhorn on the team instead of Conine.

BRM
03-01-2007, 05:39 PM

He'd give you more versatility, that's for sure.

I really hope the Reds aren't dumb enough to use Conine as the 4th outfielder. If he must be on the roster, it should be as platoon first baseman and pinch hitter. He should never set foot in the outfield grass. There are simply far better options for the 4th and 5th outfield spots.

reds44
03-01-2007, 05:59 PM
Conine is going to be on the team as the 4th outfielder, or at least that's what Narron has said.

FYI, the Horn's career numBers vs. LHP:
.254/.342/.470/.812

pedro
03-01-2007, 07:09 PM
Conine is going to be on the team as the 4th outfielder, or at least that's what Narron has said.

FYI, the Horn's career numBers vs. LHP:
.254/.342/.470/.812

I think that's just talk.

Always Red
03-01-2007, 07:14 PM
I think that's just talk.

I hope you're right.

jojo
03-01-2007, 08:32 PM
spring training means nothing....actually it means less than nothing.

KronoRed
03-01-2007, 09:07 PM
spring training means nothing....actually it means less than nothing.

Agreed

Tony Womack was on fire in ST last year.

HokieRed
03-01-2007, 09:07 PM
It's the first spring training game, guys. At the beginning the guys they need to make decisions about will play more so they can decide whether to keep them with the major league group or send them over to the minors. We've got Conine guys; he's being paid 2 million or whatever to play left, right, and first--and he will. Bellhorn does have a chance to make the roster, I think, primarily because it seems to me we could use another left-handed bat off the bench. But it would depend on our keeping 11 pitchers only and probably only 2 catchers. That would leave 12 spaces: Of: Griffey, Dunn, Hamilton, Denorfia, Freel, Conine; IF: Hatteberg, Phillips, Gonzalez, Encarnacion, Castro, Bellhorn.

crazybob60
03-01-2007, 11:43 PM
Can't Bellhorn also play the OF? Or am I thinking about somebody else? Seems like he played some games there before in his career or did he just stink it up royally when he was out there, does that ring a bell with anybody?

HumnHilghtFreel
03-02-2007, 06:36 AM
Can't Bellhorn also play the OF? Or am I thinking about somebody else? Seems like he played some games there before in his career or did he just stink it up royally when he was out there, does that ring a bell with anybody?

26 career games in the OF, most of which were in AAA. He's a corner infielder and that's about it.

blumj
03-02-2007, 09:35 AM
26 career games in the OF, most of which were in AAA. He's a corner infielder and that's about it.
He's not bad at 2B, at least he wasn't a few years ago. That could come in handy.

RichRed
03-02-2007, 10:59 AM
Agreed

Tony Womack was on fire in ST last year.

Unfortunately, before he was released, Womack also made appearances at 2B - batting leadoff no less - in real live games at the start of the regular season last year.

Sometimes, spring training means more than it should to those calling the shots.