PDA

View Full Version : New Dinosaur Jr. Album

Johnny Footstool
03-02-2007, 01:40 AM
"Beyond" is due May 1. The band has posted two great new songs on MySpace.

http://myspace.com/dinosaurjr

The band sounds fantastic. I can't believe how much these new songs sound like they were written and recorded in 1989. You could slip them in between tracks on "Green Mind" and not miss a beat. J Mascis is still the master of slacker-shredding -- the grungy Peter Frampton.

And as a bonus, their long-lost video for "Just Like Heaven" is posted on their site. Grunge puppets! :thumbup:

Dom Heffner
03-02-2007, 08:31 AM
I prefer his father, Dinosaur Sr.'s, stuff.

westofyou
03-02-2007, 09:40 AM
I prefer his father, Dinosaur Sr.'s, stuff.

Dinosaur had to slide the Junior in after their name after they were threatened with lawsuit by the band Dinosaur... whose lead guitarist was John Cippollina (who was in Quicksilver) they were a band of sixties era SF Area musicians... I saw them at the Fillmore once, they came on stage in Wheelchairs (IIRC I'm now probably older then some of them now) The did a wicked 20 minute "Mona" (which sounds a lot like Who do you love? which was Quicksilvers hit)

Instead of changing their name they slid the Jr. in there.

My friend went to college with Mascis... said he was a grade a weirdo.

Joseph
03-02-2007, 09:48 AM
Right in my wheelhouse, I enjoyed me some Dinosaur Jr back in the early 90s.

pedro
03-02-2007, 04:28 PM
Nice. I hope the sound quality of the album sounds better though. I'm sure it will.

Johnny Footstool
03-02-2007, 05:36 PM
Nice. I hope the sound quality of the album sounds better though. I'm sure it will.

I don't know -- I kinda like the homemade, indie-style sound. It suits the band.

pedro
03-02-2007, 05:47 PM
I don't know -- I kinda like the homemade, indie-style sound. It suits the band.

It just sounds a little thin. may be my computer. I am a huge fan though.

Dom Heffner
03-02-2007, 05:50 PM
They were one of the top requested bands on my radio show, and I played them all the time but I never "got" them.

pedro
03-02-2007, 06:02 PM
They were one of the top requested bands on my radio show, and I played them all the time but I never "got" them.

It's all about J's guitar. If you like big guitars and lyrics about how Uma Thurman dumped you in High School, then you're probably a fan, if not.....

westofyou
03-02-2007, 06:13 PM
It's all about J's guitar. If you like big guitars and lyrics about how Uma Thurman dumped you in High School, then you're probably a fan, if not.....
Forget the swan, a stone swims near
A stone has come, if I could cheer
Forget the swan
Forget the swan

pedro
03-02-2007, 06:18 PM
The world drips down like gravy
The thoughts of love so hazy
Everyones ideal of fun
Repulsion

jmcclain19
03-02-2007, 08:24 PM
Talk about blast from the past.

Thanks for the heads up JF. DJ always sounds just right in my iPod - will be awesome to get some new stuff.

Alice & Chains & Dinosaur Jr with new stuff. Wow. If we could just get Screaming Trees & Nirvana to somehow put out some new stuff, my return to adolescence will just about be complete.

Johnny Footstool
03-16-2007, 12:28 PM
FYI, pedro and woy, Dino jr. is scheduled to play Portland's Crystal Ballroom on May 17th.

pedro
03-16-2007, 01:42 PM
FYI, pedro and woy, Dino jr. is scheduled to play Portland's Crystal Ballroom on May 17th.

sweet. thanks for the tip. I'll be there.

pedro
03-16-2007, 01:44 PM
J will join Rachel Fuller and In The Attic at Joe's Pub in New York City tomorrow, Tuesday, February 20. The lineup also includes Amos Lee, Rachel Yamagata, Rachel Fuller, Pete Townshend and Jimmy Fallon. Check out www.intheattic.tv for more details.

In the Attic is an internet TV show featuring live unplugged acoustic music with Rachel Fuller and The Who's Pete Townshend backstage at gigs, festivals and venues around Europe. The video podcast In The Attic delivers unseen footage of some of the biggest names in music. The best in unplugged live music and backstage segments from The Who concerts, T in the Park Festival, Oxegen Festival and Hyde Park Calling festival. Guests include The Flaming Lips, E from The Eels, The Magic Numbers, Regina Spektor, Edith Bowman, Razorlight, Rose Hill Drive, The Fratellis, Kasabian, Foy Vance, The Kooks and The Zutons.

CrackerJack
03-21-2007, 04:46 PM
Looking forward to it also - in that it's the first new one from the original band since the early 90's days.

The new song - "eh" - sounds a bit like their mid 90's stuff.

I've seen Jay a few times on his solo gigs - my ears are still ringing.

pedro
05-02-2007, 10:06 PM
I like it.

Johnny, you get this yet?

Johnny Footstool
05-03-2007, 12:23 AM
I like it.

Johnny, you get this yet?

Not yet. I'll try the local indie record shop when I get a chance.

pedro
05-18-2007, 01:24 PM
Went and saw them last night.

It was really, really good.

It was also really, really loud.

I might be going deaf now.

Johnny Footstool
05-18-2007, 02:49 PM
Went and saw them last night.

It was really, really good.

It was also really, really loud.

I might be going deaf now.

I saw Dinosaur Jr. in college, and their merchandise included a set of earplugs in a purple case with their logo on it. They were $10, and I wish, WISH I would have ponied up and bought one.

pedro
05-18-2007, 03:02 PM
I saw Dinosaur Jr. in college, and their merchandise included a set of earplugs in a purple case with their logo on it. They were $10, and I wish, WISH I would have ponied up and bought one.

I could have used them last night.

CrackerJack
05-18-2007, 03:41 PM
Bah, the new CD is very predictable and doesn't resemble the original band's music from the late 80's at all IMO.

It's just a bit boring and cliche at this point - sounding very similar to DJ from the mid-late 90's. (which I liked, but have grown tired of long ago)

I do like a few songs on Beyond - but it's more of the same Mascis - a master guitarist - but his style is just worn out for me.

I think they can now take the "Jr." out of "Dinosaur"

pedro
05-18-2007, 03:58 PM
Bah, the new CD is very predictable and doesn't resemble the original band's music from the late 80's at all IMO.

It's just a bit boring and cliche at this point - sounding very similar to DJ from the mid-late 90's. (which I liked, but have grown tired of long ago)

I do like a few songs on Beyond - but it's more of the same Mascis - a master guitarist - but his style is just worn out for me.

I think they can now take the "Jr." out of "Dinosaur"

Thankfully they only played a few songs off the new album which I agree is really only OK, although it does have a couple of songs I really like.

camisadelgolf
05-19-2007, 04:05 AM
With the exception of Without a Sound, I love everything Dinosaur Jr. has done, including the new album.

*BaseClogger*
02-22-2009, 02:24 PM
Well, consider the cycle complete. Jagjaguwar has announced they have signed Dinosaur Jr. and hope to put out the band's new record this summer. J and the boys are currently hard at work finishing up the disc, and while there is no release date yet, speculation is there will be a guitar solo or two on the album.

http://www.prefixmag.com/news/dinosaur-jr-sign-to-jagjaguwar/26290/

Johnny Footstool
02-22-2009, 04:29 PM
...and the boys are currently hard at work finishing up the disc, and while there is no release date yet, speculation is there will be a guitar solo or two on the album.

What is this "guitar solo" thing I'm hearing so much about?

*BaseClogger*
03-27-2009, 02:16 AM
Go here (http://pitchfork.com/tv/) and search for a rerecording of 'Tarpit' and a new song, 'I Don't Wanna Go There'...

Johnny Footstool
03-27-2009, 02:07 PM
Thanks for the link. "I Don't Wanna Go There" wasn't very good, but "Tarpit" was fantastic.

MilotheMayor
03-28-2009, 09:23 PM
Greatest album art ever?
http://pitchfork.com/news/34913-the-new-dinosaur-jr-cover-will-get-you-high/

*BaseClogger*
03-29-2009, 06:13 PM
Thanks for the link. "I Don't Wanna Go There" wasn't very good, but "Tarpit" was fantastic.

Agreed. I think it might have packed more of a punch if it wasn't drawn out for five minutes.

Greatest album art ever?
http://pitchfork.com/news/34913-the-new-dinosaur-jr-cover-will-get-you-high/

It's awesome, but I think I still like the cover for You're Living All Over Me better...

*BaseClogger*
06-24-2009, 12:35 AM
Anybody get the new album yet?

Johnny Footstool
06-24-2009, 01:35 AM
Not yet. AV Club gave it an A-, though.

*BaseClogger*
06-24-2009, 02:50 PM
Pitchfork gave it a 8.5 and allmusic 4 out of 5 stars. I lucked out and found the collector's edition for only 13 bucks!

*BaseClogger*
06-24-2009, 02:51 PM
J actually made a video which includes the band doing something more than just playing:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TgTJtdn6VjM

*BaseClogger*
08-12-2009, 06:36 PM
Did you get it yet, Johnny?

pedro
08-12-2009, 06:42 PM
I have it. It's quite good.

*BaseClogger*
08-13-2009, 12:27 AM
I have it. It's quite good.

Where would you place it comparatively with their entire body of work?

Johnny Footstool
08-13-2009, 12:58 AM
Good, not great. I liked "Beyond" better.

*BaseClogger*
08-13-2009, 01:07 AM
Good, not great. I liked "Beyond" better.

It's more inconsistent than Beyond for me. Beyond was consistently good but not great. Farm is like a roller coaster, it has high points but also much lower points IMO. I still like Farm better...

pedro
08-13-2009, 09:29 AM
I like "farm" better than "Beyond"

Johnny Footstool
08-13-2009, 01:29 PM
It's more inconsistent than Beyond for me. Beyond was consistently good but not great. Farm is like a roller coaster, it has high points but also much lower points IMO. I still like Farm better...

I feel that "Beyond" has better high points ("Almost Ready" and the awesome "We're Not Alone") and was consistently better. "Farm" has a couple of high points, but tends towards sluggishness.

*BaseClogger*
08-13-2009, 03:38 PM
My Dino Jr. Album Ranking

1. You're Living All Over Me
2. Bug
3. Farm
4. Green Mind
5. Beyond
6. Dinosaur
7. Where You Been
8. Without A Sound
9. Hand It Over

pedro
08-13-2009, 03:53 PM
1. You're Living All Over Me
2. Bug
3. Green Mind
4. Where You Been
5. Whatever's Cool With Me
6. Dinosaur
7. Farm
8 Beyond
9. Without A Sound
10. Hand It Over

*BaseClogger*
09-20-2012, 06:22 PM
Another solid album. Finally fullfilling my dream of seeing them live next month. Music video for their new single:

Dinosaur Jr. - "Watch The Corners" (Official Video) - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FpsGcnLEZbk)

westofyou
09-20-2012, 06:23 PM
It's good, I saw a short free Dino show 2 weeks ago at noon... 4 song set

The Lung
Forget the Swan
In a jar
The Wagon

Johnny Footstool
09-21-2012, 12:56 AM
Another solid album. Finally fullfilling my dream of seeing them live next month. Music video for their new single:

Dinosaur Jr. - "Watch The Corners" (Official Video) - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FpsGcnLEZbk)

Yeah, that video had an exclusive premier on Funny or Die, for some reason -- I guess because Tim Heidecker is in it. But it's not funny. It's just really, really good.